Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

wexie wrote: »
    that's what makes the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter.

for most people it really is as simple as that unfortunately

I don’t believe anyone in their right mind would call the IRA freedom fighters.

What about the 100,000 members in 1919 - 1922 - were they not freedom fighters?
    Was it fine for the Irish people island wide to fight for freedom in the early 1900's and 1798 and various other Irish rebellions, but when those in the North continued to fight for freedom the same people who gloriously remember the heroes from 1916, denounce the "current" IRA.
    This pattern continuously repeats -
    The South's government condemned the anti-treaty IRA during the civil war
    The South's government (which included those who would have been anti-treaty) in the 1960's condemned the IRA in the North
    Sinn Fein after the IRA ceasefire in 1990's condemn the IRA (under its various factions)

To me its all a bit hypocritical, how come it is only acceptable to fight for Irish Freedom at certain times and by certain people?

Disclaimer - I do not support violence by any side!

This goes to the heart of the matter.

It doesn't matter whether a person wants money to go to those who served in the north or not, they have no say in where the money goes and therefore are funding those responsible for many cases of direct and indirect murder in the north.

so, a bit like selling an Easter Lilly then

lawred2 wrote: »
    well luckily when you buy a poppy you are given the checklist of conflicts to check off that you are ok with. Makes sure that your donation is ringfenced.

It's important that they provide that facility or else you'd just be contributing to a large pool of murderous activity. Some of which you mightn't even approve of.

Jesus, that's going to be one hell of a small ring fence, although no doubt 'Liberation of Ireland from Irish tyranny in 1920' is one of the options along with 'Liberation of Kenya from Kenyan tyranny in 1956'.

lawred2 wrote: »
    you'd just be contributing to a large pool of murderous activity. Some of which you mightn't even approve of.

Hehe. Brilliant.

Aegir wrote: »

If the Easter Lily were sold to commemorate the footsoldiers of centuries of Irish colonial occupation of Britain and subjugation of the poor British, you might be on to something analogous.

As it's not, the reality is more like the British poppy pushers wanting to commemorate the perpetrators of centuries of colonial warmongering and subjugation, and the other side wanting to commemorate those who resisted it.

It's a no-brainer to determine the good guys here - yet somehow you consistently manage to align yourself with the bad guys. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What does selling that fund now?

Diesel laundering operations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

trixi001 wrote: »
    What about the 100,000 members in 1919 - 1922 - were they not freedom fighters?
    Was it fine for the Irish people island wide to fight for freedom in the early 1900's and 1798 and various other Irish rebellions, but when those in the North continued to fight for freedom the same people who gloriously remember the heroes from 1916, denounce the "current" IRA.
    This pattern continuously repeats -
    The South's government condemned the anti-treaty IRA during the civil war
    The South's government (which included those who would have been anti-treaty) in the 1960's condemned the IRA in the North
    Sinn Fein after the IRA ceasefire in 1990's condemn the IRA (under its various factions)

To me its all a bit hypocritical, how come it is only acceptable to fight for Irish Freedom at certain times and by certain people?

Disclaimer - I do not support violence by any side!

+

The South's government Internment of the IRA , in Tin Town during WW2

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It's a no-brainer to determine the good guys here

is it?

are the good guys the ones that murder and torture, or the ones that fight fascism and oppression?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is it?

are the good guys the ones that murder and torture, or the ones that fight fascism and oppression?

The imperialists I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

is it?

Well, are the ones who conquered the following and ruled in general them by main force on racist/sectarian lines the ones you're referring to?

Afghanistan,
    Antigua, and Barbuda,
    The Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cyprus ,Dominica, Egypt , Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Ireland Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati , Kuwait, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, ,Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria Pakistan, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts, and Nevis Saint Vincent, and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga Trinidad, and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe?

is it?

Which side of the fence would you put these lads on Aegir? Wondering are they getting a leg up from the RBL too?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Which side of the fence would you put these lads on Aegir? Wondering are they getting a leg up from the RBL too?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-europe

Isn't the poppy a lovely color all the same though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think the debate is actually clearer when the focus is narrowed. The Poppy Appeal is morally wrong because the people who committed the Bloody Sunday atrocity and covered it up are among those eligible to benefit.
    I doubt many but the most blinkered will disagree.

Interesting response. So you refuse to offer an opinion on people who would mimic "Arbeit Macht Frei" on a sign above the front gate of an internment camp?

I think the debate is actually clearer when the focus is narrowed. The Poppy Appeal is morally wrong because the people who committed the Bloody Sunday atrocity and covered it up are among those eligible to benefit.
    I doubt many but the most blinkered will disagree.

And selling the Easter Lilly raises funds that support ex volunteers and keeps memorials to murderers and nazi collaborators.

You can’t wear one and criticize the other. That is hypocritical.

I’m not saying you should or should not wear either, but both are similar symbols that need you to take the rough with the smooth if you wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

And selling the Easter Lilly raises funds that support ex volunteers and keeps memorials to murderers and nazi collaborators.

I’m not saying you should or should not wear either, but both are similar symbols that need you to take the rough with the smooth if you wear them.
    I don’t wear either, I feel the Lilly has been tainted. Tbh you could wear one and criticize the other if that’s your belief though.
    I’d have no problem with the poppy appeal if the money was just for WW1 memorials, but putting your cash into the hands of the scum who were behind Bloody Sunday, killing Aidan McAnespie etc is just vile.
    It’s a pity it is so associated with remembering the dead, who obviously can’t benefit, Lee Clegg and his likes are the ones who will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Here we go again......... how many times are you going to state this ridiculous opinion?

The Easter Lily is worn to commemorate Irish people who fought against a foreign oppressor (ie the British).

The poppy day appeal raises funds for that same oppressor.

How can anyone that isn't a Unionist wear a poppy in good conscience?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

is it?

or the ones that fight fascism and oppression?
    ... with murder and torture

Here we go again......... how many times are you going to state this ridiculous opinion?

The Easter Lily is worn to commemorate Irish people who fought against a foreign oppressor (ie the British).

And where does the money go?

And where does the money go?

The upkeep of national monuments around the whole country (ie 32 counties). It might surprise you to know that there are thousands and thousands of these, and some (possibly even most) would fall into complete disrepair if they weren't maintained. Not that you'd probably care.

• Advertisement

The upkeep of national monuments around the whole country (ie 32 counties). It might surprise you to know that there are thousands and thousands of these, and some (possibly even most) would fall into complete disrepair if they weren't maintained. Not that you'd probably care.

I do actually. It begs the question though, why isn't the government doing this? these are the graves and monuments of people who gave their lives for this country?

some of whom, incidentally, murdered innocent people and collaborated with Nazis to invade the state and overthrow the democratically elected government of the day.

I do actually. It begs the question though, why isn't the government doing this? these are the graves and monuments of people who gave their lives for this country?

some of whom, incidentally, murdered innocent people and collaborated with Nazis to invade the state and overthrow the democratically elected government of the day.

I would love to see the government provide the money to do this. Until such times, I'll continue to collect money by selling lilies each Easter.

I won't dignify your second comment with an answer.

I would love to see the government provide the money to do this. Until such times, I'll continue to collect money by selling lilies each Easter.

That's nice of you. Loads of poppy selelrs think the exact same thing.

because the truth hurts?

is it?

The irony here is utterly beautiful. Remind me, now... the poppy imperialism in 2018 is organised by... the Royal British Legion...which... in 1938 was...like the British government (shhh) ... supporting fascism and oppression in Germany, just as it had been since the Nazis came to power in January 1933? Response: "You have to understand, the communists were the real danger in the 1930s and we saw Hitler as a bulwark against them!" Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner.

Who are these lovely opponents of fascism and oppression, to whom you allude, talking to that great humanitarian with the moustache in 1938, 5 years after the first Nazi Concentration Camps (Dachau, March 1933) were opened, 3 years after the explicitly and shockingly anti-Semitic Nuremberg Laws were passed, 3 years after Britain had signed the lucrative Anglo-German Naval Agreement 1935, and in the same year as Britain and the US, definitely not on their post-WWII high horses, shamefully refused to accept any more Jewish refugees at the Évian Conference 1938? (The poor Dominican Republic agreed to accept 100,000 Jewish refugees)

article-1325204-0BD75425000005DC-882_468x322.jpg

If you answered "Oh, that's Major Francis Fetherston-Godley, Chairman of the British Legion, leading a delegation to Mr Hitler to tell him how the British Legion had raised 20,000 British volunteers to help the Nazis "police" the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia Germany had just invaded" you'd get full marks.

Appendix 1: British Legion plan for police force in Czechoslovakia

British collaboration with Nazi Germany 1932-39: acceptable
    Anybody else's collaboration with Nazi Germany after Britain stopped collaborating in September 1939: "oh my God, I can't believe you collaborated with those evil Nazis!"

The jingoistic, revisionist John Bull comedies about "standing up to oppression" are consistently entertaining. Not least because you still had my people in the Occupied Six Counties faoi chois in a British settler-colonial herrenvolk statelet - a statelet whose powers were infamously the envy of the apartheid South African Minister for Justice, B.J. Vorster in a parliamentary speech as late as 1967- long after you're trying to pass yourselves off as heroes of the oppressed above.

more predictable rubbish from Fuaranch I see:rolleyes:

Selling what amounts to a relatively small number of lilies is hardly going to fund the upkeep of 1000s of monuments (to be added to shortly by 100s more when all the centenaries wind up.)
    The local people (you would think) would maintain them, you don't see too Marian grottoes falling down..

more predictable rubbish from Fuaranch I see:rolleyes:

That's a real Fratton Fred answer to when you can't counter uncomfortable facts about Britain's collaboration with Nazi Germany.

That's a real Fratton Fred answer to when you can't counter uncomfortable facts about Britain's collaboration with Nazi Germany.

How many statues of Nazi collaborators do the British have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The irony here is utterly beautiful. Remind me, now... the poppy imperialism in 2018 is organised by... the Royal British Legion...which... in 1938 was...like the British government (shhh) ... supporting fascism and oppression in Germany, just as it had been since the Nazis came to power in January 1933? Response: "You have to understand, the communists were the real danger in the 1930s and we saw Hitler as a bulwark against them!" Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner.

Who are these lovely opponents of fascism and oppression, to whom you allude, talking to that great humanitarian with the moustache in 1938, 5 years after the first Nazi Concentration Camps (Dachau, March 1933) were opened, 3 years after the explicitly and shockingly anti-Semitic Nuremberg Laws were passed, 3 years after Britain had signed the lucrative Anglo-German Naval Agreement 1935, and in the same year as Britain and the US, definitely not on their post-WWII high horses, shamefully refused to accept any more Jewish refugees at the Évian Conference 1938? (The poor Dominican Republic agreed to accept 100,000 Jewish refugees)

article-1325204-0BD75425000005DC-882_468x322.jpg

If you answered "Oh, that's Major Francis Fetherston-Godley, Chairman of the British Legion, leading a delegation to Mr Hitler to tell him how the British Legion had raised 20,000 British volunteers to help the Nazis "police" the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia Germany had just invaded" you'd get full marks.

Appendix 1: British Legion plan for police force in Czechoslovakia

British collaboration with Nazi Germany 1932-39: acceptable
    Anybody else's collaboration with Nazi Germany after Britain stopped collaborating in September 1939: "oh my God, I can't believe you collaborated with those evil Nazis!"

The jingoistic, revisionist John Bull comedies about "standing up to oppression" are consistently entertaining. Not least because you still had my people in the Occupied Six Counties faoi chois in a British settler-colonial herrenvolk statelet - a statelet whose powers were infamously the envy of the apartheid South African Minister for Justice, B.J. Vorster in a parliamentary speech as late as 1967- long after you're trying to pass yourselves off as heroes of the oppressed above.

I’d say you’re a right laugh at parties.

• Advertisement

it isn't worth it. You have an incredible ability to make one plus one equal whatever it is you want it to be, so there is no point in debating anything with you whatsoever. For starters, you post a picture from 1935 and claim it is from October 1938.

Any one with the ability to read knows the background to the Sudeten crisis and why the RBL offer to supervise the plebiscite.

I note, of course, that you have completely ignored any of my previous points just so that you could go off on another of your famous rants.

Advertisement