Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

jos28 wrote: »

I was having problems with mine even though the tv had detected the broadband. I contacted Sky and UPC (my broadband provider) and neither company could sort it out. I followed your instructions and Bingo !!
    I have On Demand - thanks a million

Glad to have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I have completely given up trying to connect my wireless connector. I can't change the DCHP to on the box won't let me. I tried the reset a couple of times and no difference also i tried all the settings mentioned in the earlier posts except WPA-PSK which i have changed to WEP 64 as my internet is set to WEP manual which gives me local connection ok, service connection fail, isp address is ok, signal strength pretty good and the isp provider name is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Mredmond wrote: »
    2 weeks now since I ordered and paid for 2 wireless connectors from Sky. 3 phone calls and a lot of frustration later, they have no idea whether the boxes have dispatched. All they can say is that the order was correctly processed at their end. I'm absolutely sick of them now.

One girl left me on hold for 15 minutes while she "rang" the dispatch company. This morning I was told that they don't even have the phone number for that company!

When I ring they can't get me off the phone quickly enough, as they have no idea what to say to me anymore. I've already told them that I'll have to cancel the credit card payment soon, before its too late to do so. They kept telling me to wait two more days; now they've promised to ring me back tomorrow evening and, if the boxes still have not arrived, they'll put through another order. I've already told them that without resolving what the problem is, its likely that a new order will go the same way as the previous one.

They've also vaguely alluded to giving me some kind of credit or offer as compensation, I haven't pushed it yet as my focus is on getting the bloody things I paid for.

Did you receive your wireless connectors yet? When we didn't receive ours after 2 weeks,rang Sky & they said it was delivered. We've asked them to send another one. They already took the money. Hope this second order actually gets to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Does adding On Demand to your account mean you're renewing your contract and locked into Sky for another 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Does adding On Demand to your account mean you're renewing your contract and locked into Sky for another 12 months?

I did mail and ask them and they said no, you don't get locked in to another 12 month contract:

--
    Me: Can you let me know - does signing up for the On Demand service mean another 12 month contract? It's not specifically stated but I want to be sure.

Sky: Thank you for your email.
    You will not be in 12 months contract when you get On Demand service on your Sky box. On Demand is a other name for Sky Anytime+ service.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Did you receive your wireless connectors yet? When we didn't receive ours after 2 weeks,rang Sky & they said it was delivered. We've asked them to send another one. They already took the money. Hope this second order actually gets to us!

I've pretty much given up on them, to be honest. My last contact with Sky was on 25th Oct, when they put through another order, without ever resolving the issue of the missing 1st order.

Its been over a week now since they placed that 2nd order, and still no delivery. The lady who took the last call promised to ring me back, tonight as it happens. I don't really know what to say to her, I'm just so totally exasperated with the whole thing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Mredmond wrote: »

I've pretty much given up on them, to be honest. My last contact with Sky was on 25th Oct, when they put through another order, without ever resolving the issue of the missing 1st order.

Its been over a week now since they placed that 2nd order, and still no delivery. The lady who took the last call promised to ring me back, tonight as it happens. I don't really know what to say to her, I'm just so totally exasperated with the whole thing at this stage.

When we explained that we never received it, they told us that their system showed delivery on the 23rd. We asked if it was by courier or by post, sky said they didn't know. But they know this second order will be by post. Strange system they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I added the On Demand yesterday and so far it doesn't really seem anything special.

I have a 40GB download limit on the broadband with Vodafone, does anyone know what size (MB/GB) an hour programme would be to download in SD and HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got Sky in a few weeks ago and just got the wireless connector installed yesterday but I've no On-Demand. Did the reset etc and the wireless connection is up ok. The odd thing is that before I received the connector I did have the new on-demand menu with showcase option etc but now it is back to the old equivalent of anytime+. Can't seem to do anything to get it to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I added the On Demand yesterday and so far it doesn't really seem anything special.

I have a 40GB download limit on the broadband with Vodafone, does anyone know what size (MB/GB) an hour programme would be to download in SD and HD?

if you press the i button it'll tell you the size of the download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

This may help in some way, as it's for someone on sky BB, but still should show the sizes anyway.

Also looking to get the Wireless connector, what's the quickest way to get it online or ask customer service, as whats the average time for it to be sent.

Thanks.

the menu on my Sky box still reads "Anytime" though I have the on-demand content. Should it be showing "On-Demand"

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    BBC Iplayer looks sooooo good....It just doesnt make sense why they cant make it available for us?? Like we have all the bbc channels and can watch all their content but cant watch it on demand...

Fair enough ITV but BBC should be avaialable :(

I agree with this.

The BBC block iPlayer outside of the UK because of licensing issues, but Irish Sky customers are paying for these channels and the BBC presumably have this incorporated into their licensing agreement with Sky - there's no reason for us not to get the iPlayer content via On-Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

loyatemu wrote: »
    the menu on my Sky box still reads "Anytime" though I have the on-demand content. Should it be showing "On-Demand"

The sky box's will be getting updated over the next month so I've been toldby sky, and this update will change the menus slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I agree with this.

The BBC block iPlayer outside of the UK because of licensing issues, but Irish Sky customers are paying for these channels and the BBC presumably have this incorporated into their licensing agreement with Sky - there's no reason for us not to get the iPlayer content via On-Demand.

+1 !! It's fairly lame considering we can easily watch and record the content via a multiple of sources - Sat and Freeview. I can understand why mainland Europe + rest of world shouldn't have BBC iplayer, but to restrict Ireland in getting it seems strange. Even some content on RTE player is available internationally.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Modem is in a different room to the sky box. What do I have to buy to connect it to work?

thesultan wrote: »
    Modem is in a different room to the sky box. What do I have to buy to connect it to work?

Wireless connector or home plugs or a very long cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Excuse my ignorance here but of the first two could you tell me where to buy them and will a wireless connector pick up my modem signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I bought one of the Sky Wireless Connectors and have had quite a few issues getting it working with my Netopia Router.

It will only connect to the router if I turn off the security and when I do this it works fine. I can't get it to connect at all when the WEP is enabled and I'm 100% sure the key is correct each time, I even tried turning off the security and limiting wireless access to MAC address but the Wireless Connector won't connect that way either.

Looks like my options are to turn off the security or buy a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

I agree with this.

Irish Sky customers aren't paying for the BBC channels; they are FTA channels Sky incorporates into the EPG, Irish users aren't BBC "customers" in any way. And even if that were the case, the rights for online aren't the same as the rights for broadcast; they have to be negotiated by the BBC separately (most BBC production comes via third party producers) and also in quite a few cases existing BBC syndication with the likes of RTE would affect the iPlayer programmes they could offer into Ireland. Channel 4 made a decision early on to include Ireland in its rights agreements (and you do get a lot of American content blocked on 4OD) but the BBC didn't, and it would incredibly difficult, and expensive, for them to offer free iPlayer to Ireland now. Its would also piss off quite a few UK licence payers who moan they can't access iPlayer when they are abroad.

Full disclosure; I worked there many years ago and was involved in this area - it was an incredible mess because of historic syndication and rights deals the BBC had to unpick to allow for online. The only Irish iPlayer solution is a paid service, which is already available on iPad (and don't get me started about the ethics of that little relationship).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

dpe wrote: »
    Irish Sky customers aren't paying for the BBC channels; they are FTA channels ... Sky incorporates into the EPG, Irish users aren't BBC "customers" in any way.

Despite the fact the the BBC channels are FTA, Sky have a paid licensing agreement with BBC Worldwide for EPG placement.

thesultan wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here but of the first two could you tell me where to buy them and will a wireless connector pick up my modem signal?

If your modem has WiFi built in then the Sky WiFi connector is the best option otherwise a pair of home plugs will be led messy than cabling across rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Im on Ripplecom wireless broadband in North County Dublin. Not the quickest, would it be worth my while getting the wireless connectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I've connected my sky box up with an ethernet cable. When I press tv Guide and then the red button, I get the following screen.

125ielu.jpg

As you can see, It looks different to the one below. The only things available to watch are the ones visible in that photo, and there's no option for boxsets or any of that stuff. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

ROI_Getting_Started.png_1503987462.png

EDIT: I now reliased I have to activate it on the website. Although it's trying to add a €4 monthly charge to my account. Is that correct? I thought it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Don't know where that €4 charge is coming from. Mine is free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭somairle

Mine is free too when I went to the webste to activate it I had to add it to my package, but it came up at no extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'm enquiring on getting a wireless connector, how long does it take for it to arrive from sky, has there been any delays from anyone or problems hooking it up as well.

I have an eircom wi-fi router , so i assume it should be straightforward?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

If your modem has WiFi built in then the Sky WiFi connector is the best option otherwise a pair of home plugs will be led messy than cabling across rooms

I have a Sky HD box and I'm using a three wireless mifi modem (Huawei E585) with pretty good web speed (~3 Mb normally).

Can someone advise me whether it is possible to use this modem linked to the Sky Wireless connector to receive Sky on demand, please?

Many thanks.

Ive got a dodgy thomson box, has anyone had any luck getting sky to give you a free replacement as these pieces of rubbish arent compatible with anytime plus/demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dooley319

Hi Folks,

I have signed up for on demand to day how long will it take for the epg to update mine still says anytime
    2012-11-12%2012.52.40.jpg

Advertisement