Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

watty wrote: »
    The "dirt" on Sky's Broadband offering in Ireland. Not comparable at all to UK where
    a) BT works better
    b) 1/3 of Exchanges had direct (LLU) access via a company Sky bought.

Sky is simply reselling existing mostly poor DSL here, and the line rental is SO expensive (highest in world) that now less than 50% of all properties have a land line.

http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

Doesn't sound great - still if they can match my Vodafone and bundle it in with my tv package for a lower overall price, I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i have two Sky HD boxes with multiroom, it works fine on the main box but the other one even though it detecting internet IP address says no content is available

is there a definate issue with multiroom HD boxes, how does one fix it ? :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

greendom wrote: »
    Doesn't sound great - still if they can match my Vodafone and bundle it in with my tv package for a lower overall price, I'll be happy enough.

This is exactly it for me - I currently spend the guts of €150 a month on the 3 separate services (phone , TV & Broadband) , I am hoping that a bundled offer from Sky, whilst not giving me anything I don't already have, will reduce that figure by a reasonable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Got this today. Am I the only one seriously underwhelmed by it? Box sets are random episodes in some and mad men box set is only the latest season. I don't have a movie sub so can't access those or no phone line to rent them hopefully it will get better when rte player and tv3 are added for now though I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

muffler wrote: »
    So how did you get on when you threatened to cancel?

Was just honest, I said "my box is broke I want a new Sky hd box" they said "we can send on engineer charged to me" to which I said " I'll renew for a year or just cancel my account right now unless you can help me"and I reminded them I was with them for 6 plus years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

smyths wrote: »
    Got this today. Am I the only one seriously underwhelmed by it? Box sets are random episodes in some and mad men box set is only the latest season. I don't have a movie sub so can't access those or no phone line to rent them hopefully it will get better when rte player and tv3 are added for now though I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone tbh

Hooked my sky box up to my broadband and had the same impression. Underwhelmed.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Hooked my sky box up to my broadband and had the same impression. Underwhelmed.

Maybe so but at least it's at no extra charge, I still remember being stuck with RTE 1 and Network 2 all my youth! I still have nightmares with Bosco crawling across the ceiling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Maybe so but at least it's at no extra charge, I still remember being stuck with RTE 1 and Network 2 all my youth! I still have nightmares with Bosco crawling across the ceiling!

lol I hear ya, still haunted by POB from channel 4 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bosco was the highlight of Daytime TV

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I wasn't allowed watch Bosco or Wanderly Wagon. Sometimes Mrs Bates (Mother) got it right.

• Advertisement

vampyre wrote: »
    I wasn't allowed watch Bosco or Wanderly Wagon. Sometimes Mrs Bates (Mother) got it right.

Wish I was not allowed to watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Connected the wireless sky receiver box and it is detecting my wifi signal but when I enter password, it is says unable to connect.

I know the password is correct as I have my laptop, iPhone and iPad connected to my wifi no problem.

Any ideas?

Connected the wireless sky receiver box and it is detecting my wifi signal but when I enter password, it is says unable to connect.

I know the password is correct as I have my laptop, iPhone and iPad connected to my wifi no problem.

Any ideas?

If u have lower case letters and upper in your password you need to keep tapping the key to go from upper to lower!

Thx Jaff but yes, I'm doing that...

No issues on my other devices connecting and see on the sky forum others having same problem... Frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

If u have lower case letters and upper in your password you need to keep tapping the key to go from upper to lower!

Yes I got that myself.:)

Lowercase my password was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anyone able to get this working with an eircom netopia wireless router? I managed to get it working using a wireless bridge and ethernet cable to the laptop last week, but since I got the sky "wireless" connection, nothing works.
    I've entered my SSID details and password and it seems to connect to my local network but goes no further.
    What I have is:
    Local connection OK
    Service connection FAIL
    IP Address 192.168.1.200
    DHCP OFF

Has anyone else with eircom and has it working got anything different? Particularly for IP address or DHCP?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Anyone able to get this working with an eircom netopia wireless router? I managed to get it working using a wireless bridge and ethernet cable to the laptop last week, but since I got the sky "wireless" connection, nothing works.
    I've entered my SSID details and password and it seems to connect to my local network but goes no further.
    What I have is:
    Local connection OK
    Service connection FAIL
    IP Address 192.168.1.200
    DHCP OFF

Has anyone else with eircom and has it working got anything different? Particularly for IP address or DHCP?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Same problem for me Eircom and Netopia router... Wifi is located but won't accept password

Very frustrating

Same problem for me Eircom and Netopia router... Wifi is located but won't accept password

Very frustrating

Do you have the router set to WPA - PSK? (I have it set to WPA version 1 and 2 in the version allowed combobox).
    WEP wont allow lower case passwords to be entered on the sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

I see Sky+ has introduced "on demand" through broadband. My router is in another room and it appears you must buy a gizmo from Sky to connect to the Sky+ box in order to get the signal. Would it be possible to use a Samsung Netbook instead as an intermediate device and if so how?

Do you have the router set to WPA - PSK? (I have it set to WPA version 1 and 2 in the version allowed combobox).
    WEP wont allow passwords to be entered on the sky box.

Using WEP, no issues other devices connecting to my wifi

Not sure what to change in order to use WPA?

• Advertisement

Success. After a week of grief, I've finally figured it out for the eircom netopia router / sky wireless connection combo.

Here's what I did...
    Note: I still have the old epg so some of the locations/buttons may differ.

Check the "Broadband Network Connection" is on in the Options: customise tab.
    Then go to the Settings: network tab and "manual wireless configuration" via the green button (or if prompted automatically).
    Enter your SSID network name. Security WPA-PSK with TKIP.
    Type your password (which is case sensitive).
    Save settings via the green button.
    Then press the green button again for "manual wireless configuration" and this time press the blue button for "manual IP configuration".
    Now enter:
    IP address: 192.168.1.200 (sky box needs to be in the 192.168.1.xxx range)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (i.e. the ip address of the netopia router)
    DNS: 208.67.222.222 (this is the open dns address)
    Green button again to save and you should be done.
    I didnt restart anything as it shouldnt be required.

Using WEP, no issues other devices connecting to my wifi

Not sure what to change in order to use WPA?

Ah. To change to WPA is pretty straightforward.
    Type 192.168.1.254 into your address bar on internet explorer/firefox/opera or whatever you're using.
    Click on the 3D wireless link on the left of the page.
    You can now change privacy to WPA-PSK.
    You can keep your PreShared Key the same password as before if you want.

WPA version allowed should be 1 and 2 under advanced configuration options.

When you click save changes, your router has to be restarted.
    You may lose connectivity for any device connected since you are changing from WEP to WPA. All you have to do is reinsert the password with the correct WPA setting for any device that doesnt work.
    If you are still having problems or cant connect via wifi afterwards, you can connect directly into the back of the netopia router via ethernet cable (which will allow you to reset the settings via 192.168.1.254 to what they were).

Edit: Should also have said...you could just change your WEP password to all capital letters and numbers if you dont want to move to WPA.
    Although WEP isnt as secure as WPA.

Problems are there to be solved, I loved it when after all the frustration you get that connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alkel08

Has anybody got sky on demand to work on eircom broadband, I have the box connected directly to router with ethernet cable and the sky box wont detect broadband connection, I tried everything and have had no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, there's a Sticky thread on this at top of this forum.

It should work fine with any proper broadband. I think that maybe the service needs to be enabled first though.

I went to sky.com and activated the on demand service there and received an email saying the service was active but still the box not detecting broadband connection, does it take a while maybe thats it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I'd still expect it to recognise there being broadband present.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

alkel08 wrote: »
    Has anybody got sky on demand to work on eircom broadband, I have the box connected directly to router with ethernet cable and the sky box wont detect broadband connection, I tried everything and have had no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It works fine with the wireless adaptor and ethernet cable. I tried both and also had it set up thru my laptop bridging Ethernet cable connection and WIFI connection. You do have to ring Sky to activate it properly, I rang up for a person yesterday and it came down in a matter of seconds. I might also help if you plug it out for a minute then plug it back in

Thanks for the help, but I rang sky to see if they knew what the problem might be, they activated it and as soon as they did I tried again and my box detected the broadband connection and on demand works perfectly

Thanks again to the posters who replied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

How do you set it up with the laptop? In that case the wireless adaptor is not needed - right?

Advertisement