Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Problems are there to be solved, I loved it when after all the frustration you get that connection!

That's fine when you are sorting a project you devised and planned yourself but when this hardware is sold as "easy setup" and "working out of the box" when it isnt, its not quite the same thing. While I dont mind putting in the effort to fix it, there's a lot of others who don't have the techincal know how or patience. Whats worse is when they ask for help from Sky (or whoever they bought their device/service from) and their technical teams consist of putting you on hold for long periods, making you restart/repeat everything and ticking boxes, they still dont get any working solution. Anyway, rant over.
    There seems to be a lot of people struggling with this, especially if the sky forums are anything to go by. I hope everyone manages to get it working, especially dazedandlost above.

Mystified wrote: »
    How do you set it up with the laptop? In that case the wireless adaptor is not needed - right?

Correct. To use your laptop, just connect the ethernet cable to the sky box and laptop. Then, go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections or "change adapter settings". Higlight both your ethernet and wireless connections (by holding down ctrl when selecting them), right click on one of them and select add to bridge.
    It should now work in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knucklecracker

The wireless connector is available from Sky for €12.99. Bit of hassle using the laptop or running a long ethernet cable, well worth €12.99 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

The wireless connector is available from Sky for €12.99. Bit of hassle using the laptop or running a long ethernet cable, well worth €12.99 IMO

I got the wireless adaptor, its well worth the 12.99. Just less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

If u have lower case letters and upper in your password you need to keep tapping the key to go from upper to lower!

Took me a while to figure that out. Kept thinking I'd changed my password and forgotten it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

alkel08 wrote: »
    I went to sky.com and activated the on demand service there and received an email saying the service was active but still the box not detecting broadband connection, does it take a while maybe thats it

Just trying to activate my own Sky On Demand, where exactly do you click to activate it?

I've signed in, but can't see anywhere to activate it? It's just giving me the "how to set it up"

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Col200sx wrote: »
    Just trying to activate my own Sky On Demand, where exactly do you click to activate it?

I've signed in, but can't see anywhere to activate it? It's just giving me the "how to set it up"

Sign into MySky
    click on add to my package, then on demand, then add to basket.
    Confirm your order(there is no charge, its free)

scart wrote: »
    Sign into MySky
    click on add to my package, then on demand, then add to basket.
    Confirm your order(there is no charge, its free)

Thanks. I've done that, but it doesn't give me an "add to basket" icon beside the On Demand.

Wondering does this mean I've already activated it? (can't see how I did though, only logged in).

And got no email to confirm either.

Thanks. I've done that, but it doesn't give me an "add to basket" icon beside the On Demand.

Wondering does this mean I've already activated it? (can't see how I did though, only logged in).

And got no email to confirm either.

I have it already activated but it still gives me the option to add to basket when i sign in. I got two e-mail confirmations from them when i activated it.
    Best to give them a call...

• Advertisement

I have it already activated but it still gives me the option to add to basket when i sign in. I got two e-mail confirmations from them when i activated it.
    Best to give them a call...

Cheers scart. I eneded up "chatting" online to one of the Sky folk. Went through the process (and it even confused him too).

But after going through it and checking my account after, he says it's all set up, but it'll still take a week before I can use it.

Has anybody else had to wait a week for it?

Cheers scart. I eneded up "chatting" online to one of the Sky folk. Went through the process (and it even confused him too).

But after going through it and checking my account after, he says it's all set up, but it'll still take a week before I can use it.

Has anybody else had to wait a week for it?

No. Should be instant. Unless he meant a week waiting for the wireless connector?

No. Should be instant. Unless he meant a week waiting for the wireless connector?

No, told him it was wired. Gave all my details, and he said it takes a week to activate

No, told him it was wired. Gave all my details, and he said it takes a week to activate

Then he was telling fibs. What does it say in your online account under packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Just got my OnDemand box working, just one tip when you have the password in correctly (in either lower case or higher case), you also need to go to
    Services - Options - Customise
    on the the SKY+HD box and select
    broadband connection to On
    If you dont do this then it will have local connection ok and Service Connection Fail.

Sorry if its already been posted,

Coll200sx, I had to reboot the box before it recognised the internet connection and gave me on demand. Give it a try, unplug from mains for 30seconds then power up again.

Also on sky box make sure your broadband connection is set to 'on'
    Services<Options<Customise<Broadband Network Connection 'on'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

2 weeks now since I ordered and paid for 2 wireless connectors from Sky. 3 phone calls and a lot of frustration later, they have no idea whether the boxes have dispatched. All they can say is that the order was correctly processed at their end. I'm absolutely sick of them now.

One girl left me on hold for 15 minutes while she "rang" the dispatch company. This morning I was told that they don't even have the phone number for that company!

When I ring they can't get me off the phone quickly enough, as they have no idea what to say to me anymore. I've already told them that I'll have to cancel the credit card payment soon, before its too late to do so. They kept telling me to wait two more days; now they've promised to ring me back tomorrow evening and, if the boxes still have not arrived, they'll put through another order. I've already told them that without resolving what the problem is, its likely that a new order will go the same way as the previous one.

They've also vaguely alluded to giving me some kind of credit or offer as compensation, I haven't pushed it yet as my focus is on getting the bloody things I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Just got my OnDemand box working, just one tip when you have the password in correctly (in either lower case or higher case), you also need to go to
    Services - Options - Customise
    on the the SKY+HD box and select
    broadband connection to On
    If you dont do this then it will have local connection ok and Service Connection Fail.

Sorry if its already been posted,
    I connected my wireless connector this morning to my Sky Plus HD Box i put in my password and this what i get. Local connection OK, Service connection Fail, Encryption Type none, Network Name is there and the ip Address. Also the signal strength is very good. I've checked that broadband connection and Anytime is turned on and they are so i don't know what to do now. Is service connection to do with Sky or Eircom?

I connected my wireless connector this morning to my Sky Plus HD Box i put in my password and this what i get. Local connection OK, Service connection Fail, Encryption Type none, Network Name is there and the ip Address. Also the signal strength is very good. I've checked that broadband connection and Anytime is turned on and they are so i don't know what to do now. Is service connection to do with Sky or Eircom?

It is likely sky,but could be your settings.
    You might not have activated "On demand" on your account OR you may be connected to your wifi but not at a valid ip address for the sky box.
    Check your account online and see if on demand is added to our package.
    If it is, then:
    Whats the ip address? See my posts a page or 2 back for how to proceed.
    If it isnt, then:
    Either order it online or by phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Got it going using the bridging from my laptop. Not that impressed to be honest. Don't like the fact you can't just watch things straight away. Annoying having to wait for it to download.

It is likely sky,but could be your settings.
    You might not have activated "On demand" on your account OR you may be connected to your wifi but not at a valid ip address for the sky box.
    Check your account online and see if on demand is added to our package.
    If it is, then:
    Whats the ip address? See my posts a page or 2 back for how to proceed.
    If it isnt, then:
    Either order it online or by phone.
    When i was on the phone to the Sky guy yesterday he activated anytime plus but when i checked my sky account it's not down as part of my package. The Ip address i have is 192.168.1.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Got it going using the bridging from my laptop. Not that impressed to be honest. Don't like the fact you can't just watch things straight away. Annoying having to wait for it to download.

:confused: it's a 30 second wait at most before you start watching something from On Demand.

:confused: it's a 30 second wait at most before you start watching something from On Demand.
    I'd settle for that if i could get it working. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I just realised my broadband speed was about 1mb when it should be around 10mb so that's why it was taking so long :mad:

When i was on the phone to the Sky guy yesterday he activated anytime plus but when i checked my sky account it's not down as part of my package. The Ip address i have is 192.168.1.10.

Thats an ok ip address. It has to be in the range 192.168.1. (1-260) for Sky, although I believe a lot of people get joy if its set to .200 although its probably just not activated on your account as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Thats an ok ip address. It has to be in the range 192.168.1. (1-260) for Sky, although I believe a lot of people get joy if its set to .200 although its probably just not activated on your account as above.

I don't understand why it should have to be in that range? My home network has a 172.X.X.X range. Anyway, the devices on the internal wifi network never show their addresses to the outside world - only the router.

Mredmond wrote: »
    I don't understand why it should have to be in that range? My home network has a 172.X.X.X range. Anyway, the devices on the internal wifi network never show their addresses to the outside world - only the router.

I spend a lot of time last week on various fora and on the phone to sky tech support and they all recommended the IP address be in the range specified (preferrably ending in .200). No idea why. Pretty sure all eircom routers put you in the 192.168.1.xxx range by default. The gateway then needs to match the router address and everything should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tonymtobin1

I enabled on demand on the sky web page hooked up with an ethernet cable,nothing happend. rang sky on monday guy said everything is on should be working wait 72 hrs it can take awhile,rang them on tuesday still no on demand,guy does a system reboot of my box he said give it 24 hrs,if that does'nt work we'll have to do a complete reboot of box and you'll loose all your recordings,right says i dont want that but if thats what it takes so be it.rang sky today this nice lady answerd told her about my other calls,she went through all settings everything was as it should be,after giving her all numbers on my two box's she finally sorted it out,they were sending the signal to the wrong box so she switched box's and hey presto there's on demand in an instant,so it does matter who picks up the phone when you call sky you can be lucky or unlucky.
    by the way the nice lady said no need to loose all youre recordings,she said it's very rare to have to do that.thank you nice lady!

• Advertisement

Then he was telling fibs. What does it say in your online account under packages?
    Coll200sx, I had to reboot the box before it recognised the internet connection and gave me on demand. Give it a try, unplug from mains for 30seconds then power up again.

Also on sky box make sure your broadband connection is set to 'on'
    Services<Options<Customise<Broadband Network Connection 'on'

Cheers lads. Finally got to check "my package" and it seems that after chatting to yer man in Sky, he didn't actually activate On Demand at all :rolleyes:

So I added it myself, and it says I now have it.

I'll report back later if it works.

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: Just received the confirmation email too.

Advertisement