Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

scamalert wrote: »
    WTF is with all this lockdown talks- theoretically we can lock down for 1-3 weeks, then yes maybe no more cases, but open up then few people come in infected **** starts all over again, its not something that can be tracked or seen, seems more like either you get it or not and ride it out scenario.
    The idea is to reduce the peak and spread it out so the hospitals are not overwhelmed like is happening now in Milan.

All figures are suspect, but perhaps 5% may end up in intensive care, and another 5% may need some sort of hospital treatment, so if that's going to be the case, better that happens over several months and not over several weeks (or days).

Secondly of course, Hong Kong has been on lockdown for a month and they've only 100+ cases, so lockdown stopped it. It seems bizarre to me, but it seems like our gov has given up that fight already and has just accepted it's going to be widespread...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Location?

Hamburg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

A fire brigade is called to a smoking building, in a neighborhood where many houses (countries) nearby are already on fire.

The fire chief says to his crew "Hang on lads, keep the fire hoses turned off until the fire gets a good grip."

This seems to be the current government strategy !

Good analogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Such BS 'the Irish in Cheltenham' palaver. They live in a bubble.

And that stupid Colm Meaney ad this year to top it off. Paddywhackery at its best.

Cheltenham = irish gambling bender

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[PHP][/PHP]

The HSE/dept of education need to stop dismissing the rumours and start advising that closures are possible and parents should start making alternative arrangements for child minding and/or alternative work arrangements with their employers. No notice is being given apart from rumours but i'd be willing to bet a large amount of money the schools wont re-open next Wednesday after St patricks day.

It’s floating out there because this is how you start preparing people for the announcement.

Schools will be closing, probably at the end of this week. If you think you’re not getting notice of that, you’re not paying attention...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cnbyz

This is a country where 20 cm of snow can paralyse life for days. I'd say Ireland cant afford to wait and react. Strict measures need to be taken in order to keep the numbers low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Why early?

We have more than 70K closed cases with a death rate of 6% and a consistent trend to prove quality of data so far (no abnormal spikes)
    As we go along rate will change but what we have now is good actual data
    A lot of it depends on how many tests are done. Countries that don't do much testing will report high death rates as they only see the serious cases. Other countries (for example, South Korea) that are doing a lot of testing, are reporting low death rates (< 1%).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,570 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looks like it will spread to all areas of the country.
    People in general are not taking this seriously enough.
    The first deaths will bring them to their senses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

jester77 wrote: »
    Hamburg

Another in Hanover this morning which is down the road from you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I have a Disability and work in a public office, luckily, I don't have direct contact with the public. My manager has advised me not to panic as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Very good article with sumaries and graphs: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

"With the number of cases in countries like the US, Spain, France, Iran, Germany, Japan or Switzerland, Wuhan was already in lockdown".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

It is a matter of managing it so that the peak does not overwhelm services. From an individual point of view, if you are going to get it, you either want to get it early or late but not at the peak.
    You do not want to get a new, unknown virus "early". Stop perpetuating the myth that anyone should WANT to contract it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The Cheltenham roar could be replaced with the Cheltenham cough/sneeze.
    Would you take the challenge for a 100/1 NAP in the 16:50?

A fine selection of PP 'green' pre-hand grabbed pens, as photgraphed by someone there yesterday:

VEKk78y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I have a Disability and work in a public office, luckily, I don't have direct contact with the public. My manager has advised me not to panic as yet.

When they tell you not to panic, that’s when you run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

Another in Hanover this morning which is down the road from you

200km “down the road” - get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A lot of it depends on how many tests are done. Countries that don't do much testing will report high death rates as they only see the serious cases. Other countries (for example, South Korea) that are doing a lot of testing, are reporting low death rates (< 1%).

Italy is doing a lot of tests and the rate is very high
    The unreported cases are based on an initial assumption which was wrog, WHO have moved away from it. it is believed that undetected cases are not common as any cluster tends to be detected within days as soon as someone reports to hospital and test positive

Hamburg

Could you not have included that nugget of information instead of adding to hype over concerns abour cover ups, understated cases and worry of more positive here (Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

God it's patronising being told not to panic. Astronaut Colonel Hadfield said he approaches every situation with a natural curiosity of what might go wrong so that he can be prepared to act in every eventuality and he frames this as a positive but he'd likely be told by most people to stop panicking.

Everytime I ask a service provider what they are doing they tell me not to panic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    The idea is to reduce the peak and spread it out so the hospitals are not overwhelmed like is happening now in Milan.

All figures are suspect, but perhaps 5% may end up in intensive care, and another 5% may need some sort of hospital treatment, so if that's going to be the case, better that happens over several months and not over several weeks (or days).

Secondly of course, Hong Kong has been on lockdown for a month and they've only 100+ cases, so lockdown stopped it. It seems bizarre to me, but it seems like our gov has given up that fight already and has just accepted it's going to be widespread...

We would seriously want to pray we don't end up with similar numbers to Italy, as reported/noted on earlier thread, 50% of confirmed/recorded cases have required hospital treatment. That's a disastrously high number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The unreported cases are based on an initial assumption which was wrog, WHO have moved away from it. it is believed that undetected cases are not common as any cluster tends to be detected within days as soon as someone reports to hospital and test positive

So what about all the people who have mild symptoms and are staying away from hospital? The hositals in Italy are full so there are loads and loads who aren't getting tested and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We live in an economic system where people are told that taking time off work is the worst thing you can do. Don’t badmouth people, bad mouth your stupid company and stakeholders for facilitating that kind of culture. If he rang in sick, people would be calling him a bluffer, look at the work and jobs threads on Boards.ie to see what people think about people taking time off.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    A few teachers on here looking for a holiday.

That didn't take long. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

[PHP][/PHP]

The HSE/dept of education need to stop dismissing the rumours and start advising that closures are possible and parents should start making alternative arrangements for child minding and/or alternative work arrangements with their employers. No notice is being given apart from rumours but i'd be willing to bet a large amount of money the schools wont re-open next Wednesday after St patricks day.
    Yeah, but alternative arrangements that don't involve granny or grandad looking after them, which will be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Saint Ruth wrote: »

Some medical experts are cautioning against moving to lockdown too soon. It would nearly be impossible to maintain a lockdown for longer than say 4 weeks (people would be nearly going crazy with no form of daily activity to pursue or social interaction of any description).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Could you not have included that nugget of information instead of adding to hype over concerns abour cover ups, understated cases and worry of more positive here (Ireland).

You could just look at my location, says Hamburg on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

cnbyz wrote: »
    This is a country where 20 cm of snow can paralyse life for days. I'd say Ireland cant afford to wait and react. Strict measures need to be taken in order to keep the numbers low.
    what needs to happen is for people to realize this crap either gets em, passes, them or takes them, live normal life, if italy stats are that most cases were well into 80s focus should be on elderly and care homes, hysteria like few mentioning coming in contact with who they suspect or having some cough is **** that's only good for mentaly ill people to spread around hysteria, as too many of those who love to sit in hospitals in this country as is, so no need to spread misinformation rather tackle only serious or vunerable cases, rest can ride it out as stats run almost even to those infected and getting better with little to none symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

MadYaker wrote: »
    So what about all the people who have mild symptoms and are staying away from hospital? The hositals in Italy are full so there are loads and loads who aren't getting tested and never will.

What about the people who have mild symptoms, think it will just pass and then suddenly worsens, which is what I heard happens. Early days, there could be loads of people who think the are out of the woods who then deteriorate. The myth of only old people being affected, might be the disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

But they also have a lot of cases of it. I should really have said proportionately high number of tests relative to cases.

You could just look at my location, says Hamburg on it

Why would i do that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What about the people who have mild symptoms, think it will just pass and then suddenly worsens, which is what I heard happens. Early days, there could be loads of people who think the are out of the woods who then deteriorate. The myth of only old people being affected, might be the disaster waiting to happen.

What are mild symptons?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement