Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day - 13th/14th October 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

dan786 wrote: »
    Just had a look, warehouse prices are awful this year, even with 20% you would not be getting a great deal.

It used to be good 2018 and before. Last year was awful too.

Now more and more people buying new items on Amazon and sending faulty ones back in same box for refund. So high chancing of getting something thats broken.

EU sites will start same offer at 11pm as opposed to 12am in UK.

I buy loads of stuff during the year from warehouse, most of the stuff is the exact same as buying new as they have just been returned. Some come without a manual but sure nobody reads that.

I guess more people have figured out to pick up stuff from warehouse so they have less stock so deals are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Ethernet. For the fire stick you need to buy an adapter for Ethernet

A friend bought the Cube lately having owned a Firestick and he reckons its much faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,104 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ethernet. For the fire stick you need to buy an adapter for Ethernet
    Is the fire cube any better than fire tv (first gen)?
    I already have that and it has ethernet connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

blastman wrote: »
    A friend bought the Cube lately having owned a Firestick and he reckons its much faster...

I'm pretty sure it's identical hardware and software to the 4k fire stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

I'm pretty sure it's identical hardware and software to the 4k fire stick

More memory etc. It is a faster device and has better picture quality.

On most standard TV it will make f**k all difference. If you have paid thousands for a TV and have the bandwidth to support high quality streaming then use the Cube will be superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Need a good few Hue Colour + White G10 bulbs. I'll assume these will be on offer - are there any other brands that work with the Hue bridge and app out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Kowerski wrote: »

On most standard TV it will make f**k all difference. If you have paid thousands for a TV and have the bandwidth to support high quality streaming then use the Cube will be superior.

Agree bugger all difference really unless your using high end equipment and then i'd be going for nvidia shield rather than a firestick-
    Comparison of the devices - https://www.firesticktricks.com/firestick-4k-vs-fire-tv-cube.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

does this sale offer laptops, pc's, printers etc too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

does this sale offer laptops, pc's, printers etc too?

If you wait until Black Friday you will get better deals on those. The best Prime day bargains are on Amazon manufactured products.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Need a good few Hue Colour + White G10 bulbs. I'll assume these will be on offer - are there any other brands that work with the Hue bridge and app out of curiosity?

I've had good results with innr bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Do we expect any deals on prime membership this year or Amazon won't bother as everyone is going to be buying online due to Covid anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Pretty sure ikea ones work too, but that's worth double checking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just got a dispatch notice from Amazon for my Show 5... It's being delivered by Amazon not An Post. Having had my first Amazon delivery by Amazon on Saturday I'm not thrilled with this. Guess it's the way it's going to be going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Caranica wrote: »
    Just got a dispatch notice from Amazon for my Show 5... It's being delivered by Amazon not An Post. Having had my first Amazon delivery by Amazon on Saturday I'm not thrilled with this. Guess it's the way it's going to be going forward

What happened?

I got a dispatch email today for my kindle. Tracking is with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Kowerski wrote: »

The cube is 3 things, a firestick 4k, an ethernet adapter, and an echo dot combined.
    So if that's what you want, then it is a good buy. If you just want a firestick, get the 4k.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

bren2002 wrote: »
    Pretty sure ikea ones work too, but that's worth double checking

The Ikea ones are fiddly. Strange as it sounds, you need to move the bulb very close to the hub to get them recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Go for it - Ive had one a few months now and despite some negative reviews I wouldnt be without it.

I'm trying to figure out how it connects. From what I can tell the echo auto connects to your phone and then your phone connects to the car.

I was hoping to auto would connect direct to the car. My phone / car blue tooth relationship isn't the best.

But the main issue is I set my voice activation on the phone to Alexa so I just ask the phone and she will put on Spotify. Kinda makes the echo auto pointless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I'm trying to figure out how it connects. From what I can tell the echo auto connects to your phone and then your phone connects to the car.

Or else through aux which is what I use. The echo auto only uses your phone for data.
    But the main issue is I set my voice activation on the phone to Alexa so I just ask the phone and she will put on Spotify. Kinda makes the echo auto pointless.

It kind of does.But I could never get my phone to wake up on the alexa wake word.

I set up the echo,connected my phone once and then whenever I get into the car it just works. I can turn the lights on,heating on drop in on the echos at home all on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Or else through aux which is what I use. The echo auto only uses your phone for data.

It kind of does.But I could never get my phone to wake up on the alexa wake word.

I set up the echo,connected my phone once and then whenever I get into the car it just works. I can turn the lights on,heating on drop in on the echos at home all on my way home.

For mine to work in the car I have to have the app open on the phone and its not great to tell you the truth. If the auto does away with this I might get one, 30stg isnt too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Picked up a dot and smart plug for 28.99 stg. Happy enough. Would anyone know if I need anything else to use them? As in, will the smart plug link to dot or do I need anything else to bridge the gap? WiFi excluded, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

adox wrote: »
    What happened?

I got a dispatch email today for my kindle. Tracking is with An Post.

Not sure what Caranicas issue was. Sample report on them:
    Grahamer72 wrote: »
    My third Amazon delivery in a row to be delivered by Amazon Logistics. Was due this Wednesday but is out for delivery this morning.
    One of the items was shipped from Italy too. Much quicker than AP so far.

And....delivered. Delivery chap was wearing an Amazon work shirt too.

Theres a thread in the Consumer section about the changes.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118872

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

barrier86 wrote: »
    Picked up a dot and smart plug for 28.99 stg. Happy enough. Would anyone know if I need anything else to use them? As in, will the smart plug link to dot or do I need anything else to bridge the gap? WiFi excluded, of course

You’ll need an app to set up the smart plug (I use Smart Life), and that’s it then, the Echo Dot will turn on and off the smart plug with your voice commands

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

For mine to work in the car I have to have the app open on the phone and its not great to tell you the truth. If the auto does away with this I might get one, 30stg isnt too bad

That's what mine does..Have to leave phone on and the app open.

The auto does do away with that. Usually you set it up once and then every time you get into the car it connects automatically. The odd time you have to open the alexa app for it to reconnect. I find it happens less on aux rather than Bluetooth and I think its more to do with my phone setup than anything else as I have a habit of closing apps completely rather than leave them running in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

recyclops wrote: »
    prime doesnt carry over to different countries I thought

Use free trial. I do it every year. You get free 30 day trial on same account every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Thankfully decided I don't need a switch but good to know I can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donegal12

I hope it's ok to ask here about the Amazon prime membership. I pay every month I think it's around £7.99. can you get it cheaper for the year? On top of this I have audible and music, both of these cost around another £20 per month for both. Is there a cheaper way? The music is for Alexa I think and the audible gets me an audio book per month. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

I was hoping to buy a 4k firestick but Amazon wont deliver to Ireland or my UK addresspal. Any way of getting one delivered to Ireland
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I was hoping to buy a 4k firestick but Amazon wont deliver to Ireland or my UK addresspal. Any way of getting one delivered to Ireland
    thanks

Parcel wizard or parcel motel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

donegal12 wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to ask here about the Amazon prime membership. I pay every month I think it's around £7.99. can you get it cheaper for the year? On top of this I have audible and music, both of these cost around another £20 per month for both. Is there a cheaper way? The music is for Alexa I think and the audible gets me an audio book per month. Thank you.

For audible, I go to cancel and choose the option to get cheaper for the following 3 months, then fake cancel again, repeat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement