Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Square toilets I find them really uncomfortable....
    Maybe you're using them wrong...
    I noticed a lot of new builds now a days are going a "luxury" look. It usually means shiny floors, shiny kitchens, lots of glass tables, "chandlers" mirrors, leather sofas, furry cushions and lots of wall paper. No amount of this stuff is going to make a 3 bed semi look like a mansion. The whole things together looks really tacky and uninviting.

Speaking of leather sofas...I find them mostly tacky. Especially red leather sofas. yuk!

I also don't get feature walls...I mean the kind where you paint your chimney breast a bright colour/cover it with "funky" wallpaper while the other four walls are magnolia.
    I think you are mixing up 'luxury' with 'personal taste'....
    This.

I'm gonna go all out French arrogant (female) príck here : I think in general, Irish people go about decorating their house completely the wrong way. People try and emulate something they've seen on TV, or at the neighbours, or on Pinterest, but then somehow along the way, they forget to think of what they really do like ! Or else, they seem to think : "hhmm, yeah... that style ... yeah, that's class, I'm going to do that style", so they go about purchasing all the pre-selected items from Dunnes/Habitat/Ikea/etc... that fit that style. I love Pinterest ! But I don't browse and pin to copy a room, more to identify singular ideas that I think would work in my plans.

I get quite passionate about this. You should choose every item because you like it and it serves a purpose, not because it's part of the style package you brainwashed yourself into.

You don't have to go for one style, and follow it through because... Showhouse showed you. You don't have to stick to large print, silvery wallpaper, if what you like is small print Provencal.

I also go all "George Hook in full drama mode" about the "Dermot Bannon extension". I'm shamelessly using him as a scapegoat, but it seems to be every architect these days, who can't think further than steel beams, windows walls or rectangular window slots (black frame preferably), timber cladding, and maybe a touch of a) concrete b) grey slate c) industrial metal panels
    This http://www.endacavanagh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/11-2181-post/Kiltiernan-2014-07-25_DSC6604-sharpened-copy(pp_w950_h634).jpg
    or this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/e9/49/5de9491a21eb176884e4171a9e6cacd7.jpg
    or this http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.2202020.1430918320!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

These are the flat roof kitchen extension of the 80s, all over again, but worse. Yeah, they make nice rooms inside. So would more traditional styles that suit traditional houses.

I guess I'm ok with eclectic inside, not outside. Or outside too, but only to a sympathetic extent. These extensions are not that.

OP, I think if you like the idea of the wrap around presses, you should go for it. I get the tackiness, but your own style pragmatic tackiness is better than showhouse tackiness.
    http://www.parisattitude.com/large/10800/31_bed1.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5a/b5/e8/5ab5e86d9fbc0bd232c6b8768a04c3a6.jpg
    http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/5/1/700x700/auc2009939868215/rw/lit-armoire-moderne-oxford-meuble-house.jpg
    Feel better now sweetie.....:pac:
    You've been bottling that up for a while, you should stay in for a year or two and not visit anyone else's places for that time, never know when you could get triggered again....:D

Personally, I can't stand,
    Georgian style pvc windows,
    Ornate plastic doors,
    Bell cast roofs,
    Ionic or Corinthian columns around the entrance,
    Mini doric columns with concrete balustrades around patios,
    Ornate decorated fascia boards,
    Roof finials,

or

Elaborate entrances, huge piers and chunky stone walls with wrought iron gates and key pad entries all leading to a bungalow, the modern equivalent of fur coat and no knickers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Dublin flag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

James 007 wrote: »
    Front elevation to new extensions to the side of 2 storey houses (brick style or council 3 beds in Dublin) that finish flush with the existing house,replacing the original garage. If it is an extension, let it be visibly seen that it is an extension by at least stepping it back one foot from the existing wall, not try and blend it in with the original house (most likely the bricks dont match or the new slate and the old slate meet at some point, guys we know its and extension, so let it just be that), its tacky otherwise.

Why waste a foot of space? To step it back?

Have to lay a new foundation to step it back....higher roof costs to step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I hate it when other people do what they want with their own homes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Front elevation to new extensions to the side of 2 storey houses (brick style or council 3 beds in Dublin) that finish flush with the existing house,replacing the original garage. If it is an extension, let it be visibly seen that it is an extension by at least stepping it back one foot from the existing wall, not try and blend it in with the original house (most likely the bricks dont match or the new slate and the old slate meet at some point, guys we know its and extension, so let it just be that), its tacky otherwise.

In this one they haven't repainted the house after putting on the extension!
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/30-ferguson-road-drumcondra-dublin-1380619/

Not really getting the issue here

In fact 'stepping that back' would look pretty stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Paint and grain. Unless your an expert painter doing it then it looks crap

Those kitchen units for displaying bottles of wine or your plate. Hate them. Nobody uses them and they collect dust and dirt.

Tiled worktops

I hate pine doors. They are everywhere. Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fads! For the last year or so, thousands of sheeple have been out in Woodie's buying up all the grey paint they can get their uninspired hands on, to paint walls or doors, architraves and skirting boards.

Don't they realise that this trend is going to date their design 'ideas' very quickly? So tacky to just follow what's in the latest issue of whatever home magazine you are reading right now...

• Advertisement

Those kitchen units for displaying bottles of wine or your plate. Hate them. Nobody uses them and they collect dust and dirt.
    Tiled worktops
    I hate pine doors. They are everywhere. Horrible

Gather your thoughts....:rolleyes:

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Fads! For the last year or so, thousands of sheeple have been out in Woodie's buying up all the grey paint they can get their uninspired hands on, to paint walls or doors, architraves and skirting boards.

Don't they realise that this trend is going to date their design 'ideas' very quickly? So tacky to just follow what's in the latest issue of whatever home magazine you are reading right now...

I have a grey kitchen.......:o

Mind you, I think it was blue or green or red when it was installed first 50 years ago.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would have thought muting the walls to then bring the eye to actual pieces or design ideas is something that you'd want to achieve its not a trend it's a tactic that has been used for decades .

Beyond muted tones for this id love to hear your option to achieve that ? Or is garish wall paper fashionable.

Confused....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In immediate post war UK this was all the rage. Cheap wood was all they could get so on went thick varnish and out with the comb...." ah yes, I remember it well! "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/30-ferguson-road-drumcondra-dublin-1380619/

and the windows dont match, hurts the eyes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I came across a soft cushioned toilet seat recently. Seriously creeped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

listermint wrote: »
    I would have thought muting the walls to then bring the eye to actual pieces or design ideas is something that you'd want to achieve its not a trend it's a tactic that has been used for decades .

Beyond muted tones for this id love to hear your option to achieve that ? Or is garish wall paper fashionable.

Confused....

If mother nature is happy to go with grey as a base tone then I'm happy to get on board..

Nature doesn't tend to be faddish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a door in this house made up of long strips of tree bark , top to bottom, on one side and narrow painted planking on the other... Not sure what to think;) NB rented so never a thought re changing it

But then what we have to endure in rentals is another thread topic entirely! Like terrible wallpaper and being told " You must not touch that. I put it on with my own hands"

Gather your thoughts....:rolleyes:

my brain seems to only release the next thought when the last one has been posted

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not really getting the issue here

In fact 'stepping that back' would look pretty stupid.

I don't believe so. Some people are okay with it, me definately not. If there are two storey houses built of a certain period in large numbers whether there are the red bricks of Drumcondra, the council look houses in upper Drumcondra or in Cabra, I believe the overall look of the house should remain the same and there should be a clear distinction of the new extension. Perhaps if I had my way I would also have all the windows have a same look to match the period of time the house was built and same colour too. To me anyway the front elevation of your property should be controlled by the council in terms of its look. :)

When I went to long island on a J1 many moons ago, I stayed in Easthampton and I couldn't get over how all the rented houses in groups had a distinct look and distinct character, all owned by different people. I had a conversation with a painter who was painting one of the houses (all timber of course) a grey painted colour to match the existing look and he mentioned that the local council have control on how the house looked from the outside, not the owner.

Another thing that irks me is the lack of control of the look of facades to shop fronts by our councils, but that conversation is getting off topic and is for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Helen Turkington. I hate that whole "luxe" look. Particularly when every feckin room in the house is done up exactly the same. Nothing screams too much money and no taste as much to me as getting an interior designer in to give you a cookie cutter home. All storm lanterns and telescopes and giant pointless marble balls and those stupid cut out clocks. Nafftastic.

Helen Turkington. I hate that whole "luxe" look. Particularly when every feckin room in the house is done up exactly the same. Nothing screams too much money and no taste as much to me as getting an interior designer in to give you a cookie cutter home. All storm lanterns and telescopes and giant pointless marble balls and those stupid cut out clocks. Nafftastic.
    ....just cringed and shuddered at the same time....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

listermint wrote: »

Confused....

No problem with muting walls at all, it's the way the sheeple are all running to grey as their colour of choice (or should I say, the colour of the industry's choice) at the moment, rather than coming up with their own ideas... ;) No original thought at all.

Edit. I especially hate the indiscriminate use of the colour. The amount of people using grey in tiny rooms in their house or rooms that are already dark and poorly lit anyway, is abysmal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No problem with muting walls at all, it's the way the sheeple are all running to grey as their colour of choice (or should I say, the colour of the industry's choice) at the moment, rather than coming up with their own ideas... ;) No original thought at all.

How can you have original thought if the goal is to mute the walls into the house and also outside perspective and bring the eye to things it should be brought to.

The original thought then comes from the views out the window , art , furniture .

I think your confused on the purpose of the colour palette and that's ok.

chaulk paint on furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Plastic carpet protectors.

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

It's all subjective and down to personal taste. I'd love to see the inside of all your homes and the outside so I can put on my judgey pants for the day. I don't give two ****es what people don't like it's my home and I'll put in it what I want. That said to each their own what you think is lovely I might think it's awful. Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like interior designers who design space well and they make it functional for you to put your own stamp on it. Good architect is often much better at it. But then you get a pile of designers who think color coordinating everything to the max is the way to go and it gets so far that you are afraid to hang a painting you like or put in a cool vase because it will spoil the end effect. Do that nonsense in four star hotel but home should reflect the people who live there and not a show home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

sadie1502 wrote: »
    It's all subjective and down to personal taste. I'd love to see the inside of all your homes and the outside so I can put on my judgey pants for the day. I don't give two ****es what people don't like it's my home and I'll put in it what I want. That said to each their own what you think is lovely I might think it's awful. Who cares.

OMG.

Is your house full of everything that was mentioned??

Lemme see, gwan, lemme see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The only reason that doesn't work is bad implementation. The windows aren't symmetrical and the colour is off.

Personally I think if you can add an extension in the same style as before, go for it, of it works. The other way works too.

Advertisement