Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls don't cycle! Guess whos fault it is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Bondetf wrote: »
    How often are women randomly sexually assaulted walking along the street?

I don't know, how many men are physically assaulted? Where would you even get such stats?
    Hmmm, I doubt anybody who had a beating would class it as 'not that bad'.

They would class it as not as bad as rape, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hmmm, I doubt anybody who had a beating would class it as 'not that bad'.

I don't know about you, but I'd still rather be beaten up by a gang of lads than sexually assaulted by a gang of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Are men also the reason not many girls play sports ?
    almost certainly

We aren't talking about women being harrassed and being taught to cope with it by standing up for themselves. It's about schoolkids. Children. When I was a young teen no amount of telling me I shoulo stand up to an intimidating adult person twice my age or more and twice my size or more would have made me capable of actually doing it.

At worst it would just increase the perceived, or real, danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ummm, If the 'risk' of head injury is reduced by 70%, then it follows that the statistic is arrived at from analysing before and after data. Yes, I should have said reduces risk, rather than 'declined by', but you know what, it was still correct, because that was what actually happened, else there wouldn't have been the 'after' data to support the reduced risk assessment.

But that's the point, the data doesn't show that head injuries have reduced by 70% it's an aggregated study so we don't know what actually happened.

It's also worth noting that included in the injury stats would be cyclists who were wearing a helmet and still suffered a serious injury, so a 70% reduction in risk won't equal a 70% reduction in injuries.

FWIW I'm not arguing against wearing helmets, I just didn't want your claim to go untested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Depends on the level of the beating involved. I've known of beatings that had a wider and longer impact on lives, physically and mentally all the way up to suicides than some sexual assaults.

Though in the victimhood culture there are some victims more hallowed than others. Sexual assault victims are top of the tree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    I see. Sounds pleasant.

No it isn't, but often reality isn't pleasant and it's part of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I don't know, how many men are physically assaulted? Where would you even get such stats?

I thought you meant sexual assault which is a wider definition that can range from toucing a man's bicep to other stuff?

I dunno, I think five men laughing, grunting, and breaking your jawbone/cheekbone/blinding you in one eye could be comparable to stranger rape? I'm basing this on the dehuminisation, humiliation and loss of bodiliy autonomy by the breaking of the bones.

Irregardless, this probably isn't the place for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Amirani wrote: »
    That's not an accurate statistical assumption. You should probably leave the statistics/data analysis alone, it's clearly not your forte.
    But a comprehensive review by Australian statisticians Jake Olivier and Prudence Creighton from the University of New South Wales that drew together data from more than 40 separate studies found helmet use was associated with dramatically reduced odds of head injuries.

The findings were presented in Finland this week at Safety 2016, the world conference on injury prevention and safety promotion.

Olivier’s findings were particularly significant for serious or fatal head injuries and found the reduction was greater for these kinds of more serious injuries.

Helmet use is associated with odds reductions of 51% for head injury, 69% for serious head injury, 33% for face injury and 65% for fatal head injury. Injuries to the neck were rare and not associated with helmet use,” the study found.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/22/bicycle-helmets-reduce-risk-of-serious-head-injury-by-nearly-70-study-finds

What is your version of the correct statistical interpretation and does it lead you to arrive at a conclusion that mandatory helmet wearing would not lead to a dramatic reduction in cycling head injury related fatalities?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends on the level of the beating involved. I've known of beatings that had a wider and longer impact on lives, physically and mentally all the way up to suicides than some sexual assaults.

Though in the victimhood culture there are some victims more hallowed than others. Sexual assault victims are top of the tree.

Its not about the impact though, its about the fear of it being a deterrent to cycling. I would imagine that fear is greater for women and added to the physical assault fear that men are as likely to hold.

I'm not going near your second paragraph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am sure men make comments to girls and women cyclists. They are a bit sad. It doubt it will ever be eradicated.

Saying cycling to school is unsafe is not backed up by statistics. "Let me buy a a new SUV and bring them to school" might be a motive for claiming it is too dangerous.

Not wearing helmets and high viz, and "taking the road", seems to be a badge of honour to some cyclists. I do not see the sense in it. I landed on my head and smashed my bike helmet.

I would like to see road safety statistics that not only show the number of pedestrians and cyclists killed but also what vehicle killed them. That might change the mentality that cycling is dangerous and motorists are blameless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm six feet tall, broad shoulders, hairy arms, about as masculine looking as it gets, but I wear my hair in a ponytail. I was out jogging the winter before last and had the under armour tights on. Jogged past a group of teenagers on their way to school, and heard one lad saying "Check out the fine arse on her!" as I went past ahead of them. One of the others had seen my beard and had the hilarious privilege of telling his buddy "That was a man!" :D

Did I feel intimidated or harassed? No.
    Was it a bit of an eye-opener anyway? Yes. Commuting and training are not times when you want or expect to be objectified like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not wearing helmets and high viz, and "taking the road", seems to be a badge of honour to some cyclists. I do not see the sense in it. I landed on my head and smashed my bike helmet.
    Taking the lane is now recommended by the Road Safety Authority and is now in the Rules of the Road.
    It is safer than allowing cars to squeeze past you on busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I cycled to school from early primary till late HS - in Australia in an urban setting. I wouldn't think of allowing my children to cycle to school here in a rural area as the roads are far too narrow and dangerous.

Fewer cars means more cyclists traveling at lower speeds. It's not the win you think it is.

Oz is full of dickheads shouting at cyclists, usually carloads of hoons. Would make Irish motorists appear very polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Its not about the impact though, its about the fear of it being a deterrent to cycling. I would imagine that fear is greater for women and added to the physical assault fear that men are as likely to hold.

I think he's talking about the broad range of sexual assault which I mentioned in my paragraph. Such as touching a man's hand without his permission while on a date to more extreme elements.

I wonder what your definition of sexual assault is? Are we talking about the pre me too or the post me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Taking the lane is now recommended by the Road Safety Authority and is now in the Rules of the Road.
    It is safer than allowing cars to squeeze past you on busy roads.
    And groups of cyclists take it to extremes.
    I am a cyclist and am appalled by the attitude of some cyclists, mainly club cyclists, or training groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/22/bicycle-helmets-reduce-risk-of-serious-head-injury-by-nearly-70-study-finds

What is your version of the correct statistical interpretation and does it lead you to arrive at a conclusion that mandatory helmet wearing would not lead to a dramatic reduction in cycling head injury related fatalities?

If 0 cyclists wore helmets before the introduction then the study supports a likely reduction in serious injuries of 70%, however if 90% already wore helmets then the reduction would be quite low.

Bayes theorem is your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wibbs wrote: »

And of course a beating can, and often does, kill you.

I think he's talking about the broad range of sexual assault which I mentioned in my paragraph. Such as touching a man's hand without his permission while on a date to more extreme elements.

I wonder what your definition of sexual assault is? Are we talking about the pre me too or the post me too?

There are different levels of physical assault too. Again, its about the fear, not the impact or level of the assault.

My definition would be the legal definition, not sure why you felt the need to bring me too into the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

vicwatson wrote: »
    “the ones who do cycle say verbal harassment from boys and men is a top deterrent”

What the f is that all about?

It's nonsense. Nothing more.
    seamus wrote: »
    Women: “the ones who do cycle say verbal harassment from boys and men is a top deterrent”

This thread: "No, that can't be it! Let's not listen to actual experience, let's just whine about an anti-man agenda"

Why is it so difficult for some people to accept it when women en masse tell you that they experience harrassment from men on an daily basis? Why do you automatically assume that they're lying and engaging in an attack on men?

"I don't see it, so it mustn't happen" - is that it? Is it just self-centeredness?

Jesus Christ Seamus, wtf are you on about? When did anecdotal evidence ever amount to anything? Why bring in a strawman? Is it that difficult to debate the OP?

Men are being blamed for women not cycling (logic? No, there is none). Yet you somehow manage to bring in ALL harrassment and try (poorly) to link it with the OP?

What has the following post got to do with the thread? Who are the "some people" who don't accept it?

Why is it so difficult for some people to accept it when women en masse tell you that they experience harrassment from men on an daily basis?

en masse, what complete and utter crap. The idiot who wrote the article has an agenda, she heard that a friend of a friend was shouted at by another cyclist (about what we will never know) and now the bint is on the warpath. Male cyclists abusing Female cyclists, doesn't happen.

It's amazing the amount of brains that are spilled in the streets on the continent. Every day I am stepping in some poor cyclists brains, it's awful. If only they wore helmets... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Imagine what sort of a sad b*stard you'd have to be to go harassing some young one on a bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Candie wrote: »
    We aren't talking about women being harrassed and being taught to cope with it by standing up for themselves. It's about schoolkids. Children. When I was a young teen no amount of telling me I shoulo stand up to an intimidating adult person twice my age or more and twice my size or more would have made me capable of actually doing it.

The best time to instill confidence in people is when they're young. Bit late once your adult personality has formed. Maybe it wouldn't have worked for you or in all circumstances but that doesn't mean it couldn't do a world of good.

Also, it's not necessarily about standing up to people but about ignoring them and not adjusting your behaviour because of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I am a cyclist.
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

This thread gets a 2/10 from me. Needs more trans & traveller bashing.

If 0 cyclists wore helmets before the introduction then the study supports a likely reduction in serious injuries of 70%, however if 90% already wore helmets then the reduction would be quite low.

Bayes theorem is your friend here.

I rode a bicycle for at least a decade prior to the introduction of mandatory helmets in Australia. I know my anecdotal observations are completely worthless, as I would have only seen several thousand cyclists in that time, a tiny fraction of the total, but by some astonishing statistical fluke, I managed to see no cyclists wearing helmets; I know I certainly didn't. But yeah, you are right, I must have been cycling for a decade, blissfully unaware of the astonishing statistical anomaly bubble that accompanied me everywhere I went.

Playing devils advocate runs the risk of a bit of rub-off.

Guy Person wrote: »
    This thread gets a 2/10 from me. Needs more trans & traveller bashing.

Cycling is probably a touchy subject for the trans crowd..

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The best time to instill confidence in people is when they're young. Bit late once your adult personality has formed. Maybe it wouldn't have worked for you or in all circumstances but that doesn't mean it couldn't do a world of good.

Also, it's not necessarily about standing up to people but about ignoring them and not adjusting your behaviour because of them.

If you had read her first hand account of being on the receiving end of male harassment earlier in the thread, you might have perhaps had second thoughts about being so condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If you had read her first hand account of being on the receiving end of male harassment earlier in the thread, you might have perhaps had second thoughts about being so condescending.

I did read it. There's no tone of condescension meant in my post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I get that D, that's one hot coal to grab. :D Rape is one that's sacrosanct in the hierarchy. You will often hear "rape is the worse crime ever, worse than murder". Not to me it's not. When someone is murdered that's it, no hope, all of what they are and what they could be is taken from them. Game over. Given that terrible choice I know which one I'd go for without any shadow of a doubt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

o1s1n wrote: »
    Same here. Cycled to school all through the 90s, and thinking back, was 100% guys locking their bikes up. Don't think I ever saw a girl cycle in at all.

The skirts girls had to wear in our school were very long so I'd imagine that may have contributed to it.

Cycled to school all my school life in The Netherlands. Very few girls did. The ones that did were usually sport crazy.
    And no school uniforms in The Netherlands. So that wasnt an excuse.

But also noticing the efforts a lot of the girls went through to get out of PE, which we had 3x a week in those days, i think i can guess why a lot of them preferred the bus over cycling.

Advertisement