Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

European S4s are now diesel :-(. S5 still petrol afaik.

Surprised at the small gap between "base" and "S" in the US, I presume the base is still a decent engine rather than a 1.4! Bit of a no-brainer to get the S4 really.

Isn't the American S4 a bit...meh though?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

It's looking likely that a hosepipe ban will be issued in the coming days/weeks, similar to July 2018. I'm just getting ready to take the car out of storage next Monday and I won't even be able to give it a good wash :(

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? I'm not sure but I think filling a bucket and using that as a source for the pressure washer is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pops_20 wrote: »
    It's looking likely that a hosepipe ban will be issued in the coming days/weeks, similar to July 2018. I'm just getting ready to take the car out of storage next Monday and I won't even be able to give it a good wash :(

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? I'm not sure but I think filling a bucket and using that as a source for the pressure washer is allowed.

Use ones at fuel stations... They can still be used as water is recycled somewhat.

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? .........

https://www.water.ie/news/national-water-conservati/#:~:text=Irish%20Water%20has%20confirmed%20that,watering%20gardens%20attached%20to%20a

The prohibited uses are as follows:

Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose:

cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a domestic hosepipe

Strictly speaking a pressure washer fed from a bucket that's filled from a tap is probably ok but it might be somewhat against the spirit of a water conservation effort :)

Of course, commercial car washes are still allowed to operate so it's very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CIP4 wrote: »
    Is there much market for selling used alloy wheels these days. I found one down the back of the shed today that I forgot I had. There are a few marks on it which maybe that makes it worthless unless someone is willing to put it on their car as is and not refurb it. Its an 18 inch Alloy of an Audi A4 B9 S-Line.

I'd say someone would love to have it as a spare. Put it up on DoneDeal for a fair price and collection only if you don't want to travel.
    OSI wrote: »
    Bit late now obviously but we've had a water butt connected to our gutter run off pipes for years and have always used the collected rain water for the power washer, no concern of wasted public water there.

Is it true that the government wanted to tax water butts? How did that go for them?
    Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.water.ie/news/national-water-conservati/#:~:text=Irish%20Water%20has%20confirmed%20that,watering%20gardens%20attached%20to%20a

The prohibited uses are as follows:

Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose:

cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a domestic hosepipe

Strictly speaking a pressure washer fed from a bucket that's filled from a tap is probably ok but it might be somewhat against the spirit of a water conservation effort :)

Of course, commercial car washes are still allowed to operate so it's very subjective.

So if you buy a commercial hosepipe you're in the clear? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just lash a sign on the gate; Pops car wash. Boom, commercial car wash.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just lash a sign on the gate; Pops car wash. Boom, commercial car wash.

And then Mr. Tax man is on Pop's doorstep looking for his cut :D

Augeo wrote: »

I'm all for the spirit of conserving water, but if there was any way to circumvent the hose pipe ban for just one car wash I would be open to it :pac:

If I fill a bucket with water and have it next to the power washer with a short hose connecting it to the bucket is that OK? To be fair, the power washer uses very little water comparing to the garden hose itself.

To be fair, the power washer uses very little water comparing to the garden hose itself.

This is true. A pressure washer by its nature uses less water as it has to pressurize it. With a hose on its own there's quite a lot of waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Lads I have bought a car today at Merlins via online auction.

What's the craic with paying for it? Cant get them on the phone? I got an email invoice for it but no info on how to pay. I dont intend on going there in person, just some kind of electronic payment and getting the car towed to me.

It was €1k for a bidding card, so does that come off the final amount I pay for the car or is it refunded as a separate transaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What's the craic with paying for it? Cant get them on the phone? I got an email invoice for it but no info on how to pay. I dont intend on going there in person, just some kind of electronic payment and getting the car towed to me.

It was €1k for a bidding card, so does that come off the final amount I pay for the car or is it refunded as a separate transaction?

Bidding card will be taken off. Be careful of the buyers fees, unless you have the use of your trade connection. Is there a return option on the email?

Sent a reply to the email but suspect it may be an automated invoice so not holding out for a reply.

Happy enough with the buyers fee and the admin fee and the storage fee :pac:

Hard not to lose the run of yourself with that online auction though jaysis. Mad stuff going on. A man could end up with a big debt and a yard full of **** cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What did you buy? Another Micra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

2 year old plugs on a Corolla Verso that’s fine 9000kms in that time. Opinions on the plugs?

4-A1-E6-E19-29-AD-4-A64-87-DB-40-F1-B3-F907-E6.jpg

1-F122-AFD-ACB7-4426-B3-F0-C6-A793-DEF051.jpg

2 year old plugs on a Corolla Verso that’s fine 9000kms in that time. Opinions on the plugs?

The tan colour on the tip of the plug is just about spot on. Indicates the fuel/air mixture is good and health of the engine is OK.
    I wouldn't worry about the discolouration on the top of the plug, that happens to all of them.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What did you buy? Another Micra?

No, missed out on a 206 for a tenner and some other ****e that I would have been killed for dragging home. Was bidding on anything cheap ish and new ish with a bit of NCT over the last few auction for something for my sister. Bought a Auris for handy enough money.

Bit of a chancey thing to do but it's low owners, Joe Duffy trade sale, should be grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It will be deducted from the 1k.

If you bid 500 and won, the final fee is like 625 or so. Very high fees on low dollar cars. I bought and sold yokes there over the years.

The no reserve auctions and the main dealer direct cars can be good finds, but I'd be wary buying a cheap car sight unseen at an online auction.

No, missed out on a 206 for a tenner and some other ****e that I would have been killed for dragging home. Was bidding on anything cheap ish and new ish with a bit of NCT over the last few auction for something for my sister. Bought a Auris for handy enough money.

Bit of a chancey thing to do but it's low owners, Joe Duffy trade sale, should be grand I'd say.

They’re quite unpleasant, but at least they’re not unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If you don't get sorted I can give you the contact details of someone from Merlin. This is not his area but he will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think it is filmed in England but some unlucky Irish regged car. As the people say in video how did she get a licence. It's bad but not as bad a video I seen of a woman in America she completely destroyed some persons car and then drove off as if nothing happened.

https://www.facebook.com/snoopdogg/videos/558653675079204

• Advertisement

Wonder how recent that is? X-Trail not taxed or tested.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It will be deducted from the 1k.

If you bid 500 and won, the final fee is like 625 or so. Very high fees on low dollar cars. I bought and sold yokes there over the years.

The no reserve auctions and the main dealer direct cars can be good finds, but I'd be wary buying a cheap car sight unseen at an online auction.

Cool, was hoping common sense would apply but you'd never know. I'd be even more wary buying an expensive car sight unseen :pac:

This was €1900 but with fee's and stuff works out around €2250. So with €1k bidding deposit I'll only have to forward the difference @1250.

You'd get carried away with the €10-50 price bracket stuff but for the fact they end up as you say around 300 by the time you actually own it.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re quite unpleasant, but at least they’re not unreliable.

Exactly. Wouldn't have one myself. Taxed, NCT'd, Toyota, what could go wrong though.

What year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The gearbox, lol

2009?

Jaysis, nerves are in shreds now!

€570 tax!

Assuming it’s petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2009?

Jaysis, nerves are in shreds now!

Ye'll hear any bearing whine handy enough if there is any. I've heard of some putting better thicker oil into e12 corolla boxes with some success if they get bearing whine and curing the issue for long enough to call it a win anyways.

Just to help your nerves though I know someone who bought a cheap 1.8vvti rav4 years ago from up there and my god it was some hape of sh1te. Untold amount of problems yet funnily enough no oil burning issues :pac:

It'll all be grand :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

European S4s are now diesel :-(. S5 still petrol afaik.

Surprised at the small gap between "base" and "S" in the US, I presume the base is still a decent engine rather than a 1.4! Bit of a no-brainer to get the S4 really.

There's an A4 with a 1.4? Well, that explains much about the opinion of low-end Audis there. We start with the 2.0 188hp 4-cyl, which is pretty damned small around these parts. Less demand for the S4 than you might think. The S4 occupies a rather odd price slot, if you tool it up you're breaking hitting $60k easily enough, well into 5-series territory. (Same with the A4s, though, frankly). If you want to go fast in a four-door around here, you can get a pretty well-equipped Charger with a 6.4l 485hp V8 for the price of a typical A4 instead. They look and sound very good, too. If you must have a fast Audi, the RS-3 isn't much smaller, the 2.5l 5-cyl somehow gets 394hp, is 0-60 in 3.9, and tooled up with everything comes in at right on $60k, the same as the higher-end S4.
    Isn't the American S4 a bit...meh though?

Well, yes and no. It's got a petrol 3.0l V6 which puts out about 350hp. Doesn't sound like much, but bearing in mind my 4.2L V8 S4 with 340hp was a pretty damned good 5.6 seconds when I bought it in 2005, it's not all that bad at 4.4 seconds for the current version. Doing some quick Googling, the EuroSpec 2020 S4 with the V6 TDI (342hp) does 0-60 in 4.8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I picked up my new 330e MSport Plus during the week .. haven't managed to get much milage on it yet but so far I'm absolutely loving it - it will take a bit of getting used to with the compromise on size but the actual driving makes up for it so far !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement