Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

CIP4 wrote: »
    The egr valve is gone in my Dads A4. He bought it as a used approved car in an Audi garage 2 years ago. The few small things it needed they done for free a few months before he bought it. It has a FSH from Audi there is 180k km on it now 141 and the egr is after going in it. He rang the Audi dealer to get a price to replace it was giving out or anything as at that age and mileage it’s well and truly his problem. They rang back and said because of its history Audi will cover 70% of parts and Labour.

Infairness I don’t know is it that particular dealer or Audi after sales in general but from my experience with it it’s second to none even comparing it to Seat, VW there is no comparison at all. Well also my dad is just lucky with cars if I had bought that car with that mileage and age the gearbox probably would of fallen out of it at this point on me.

Having issues with a relatively new car from a premium brand, probably for the last couple of years, is lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

salonfire wrote: »
    Having issues with a relatively new car from a premium brand, probably for the last couple of years, is lucky?

I personally wouldn’t consider a 6 year old car with 180K km on it relatively new by any stretch of the imagination. Your well into the middle of its life at that stage where plenty of stuff can and will go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

salonfire wrote: »

Its heading for 7 years of age with 180k on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Its heading for 7 years of age with 180k on it?

Is 6 years considered the serviceable "lifetime" of a €40,000 item? If a TV or fridge only lasted a few years you'd be asking for a replacement claiming it's not fit for purpose.

I'd say claiming it's "relatively new" is a fair assessment. Although I guess that depends on degree of relativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is 6 years considered the serviceable "lifetime" of a €40,000 item? If a TV or fridge only lasted a few years you'd be asking for a replacement claiming it's not fit for purpose.

I'd say claiming it's "relatively new" is a fair assessment. Although I guess that depends on degree of relativity.

I'd say 6 years combined with 180k kms is a decent way into it's predicted lifespan yeah, 50% or so would be fair I'd say? I mean the car isn't bolloxed or anything, needing a bit of a repair after that kind of mileage isn't vastly unusual, particularly for a German brand IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is 380 a good price for a dyno custom remap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s what TDR performance charge and for the amount of work they put in it’s great value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah it's from Joe. Was looking at Quantum remap but my gut tells me to go with a dyno job. Not sure if I should have egr removed first though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Want to do some mods on the 2006 vRS but don't have a fortune to spend, anyone any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭fran38

Anyone know when Honda dealers will open for service?

• Advertisement

It's the EGR that's w@nked, not the car.

If you rocked into an Audi garage and asked to see a relatively new A4 and they showed you a 141 you'd think they were off their tree. Not that an Audi garage would be retailing 6 year old A4s anyway I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Did the car tax online Sunday came in the door this morning quickest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Want to do some mods on the 2006 vRS but don't have a fortune to spend, anyone any tips?

Upgrade the diverter valve if it still has the old diaphragm type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

fran38 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Honda dealers will open for service?
    Already should be since Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Upgrade the diverter valve if it still has the old diaphragm type.

I'd say it's never been changed, could this cause it to be jumpy on power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd say it's never been changed, could this cause it to be jumpy on power?

Not really sure about being jumpy on power it'll cause it to be slightly down on power though.

The rubber diaphragm splits and leaks boost, the newer ones are a different design.

It made a noticeable difference to a friends mk5 gti but his original one was well split.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

What websites/stores do you use for alloys and tyres? Or do you use different places?

Been looking on Demon Tweaks and can get Michelin PS4 and alloys for a decent price, but have no experience with them.

Demon Tweaks have been around a long time.

I’d always prefer OE alloys over aftermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Demon tweaks have been around for years, you might get better value ordering the tyres of tyle leader or camskill and sourcing the wheels yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'd second colm's post. Although you'll always have weights on OEM wheels, more often than not aftermarket wheels will have more of them especially if they're reps.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Demon Tweaks have been around a long time.

I’d always prefer OE alloys over aftermarket.

Yep, I'm deciding between aftermarket or just powder coat the OEM. I don't dislike the style of them per se, but definitely would prefer a darker alloy.

Save a bit of cash for a miltek or custom exhaust from exhaust worx. Lockdown brain is going for sure.

What car is it?

What car is it?

2016 Ibiza cupra, the 1.8tsi

I’d be very much suggesting you look at wheels from within the VW group. Maybe it’s just the safe option, but clearly aftermarket looking wheels don’t really work for me visually on modern stuff unless it’s some iconic wheel.

Might be herd mentality with me of course.

I’d be very much suggesting you look at wheels from within the VW group. Maybe it’s just the safe option, but clearly aftermarket looking wheels don’t really work for me visually on modern stuff unless it’s some iconic wheel.

Might be herd mentality with me of course.

To each their own. Always happy to hear opinions from different perspectives. Will be getting ideas and researching before I drop any money anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Depends on the wheels in question I think wheels like Spacro Assetto look well on more modern cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'd say 6 years combined with 180k kms is a decent way into it's predicted lifespan yeah, 50% or so would be fair I'd say? I mean the car isn't bolloxed or anything, needing a bit of a repair after that kind of mileage isn't vastly unusual, particularly for a German brand IMO.

This isn't the first problem with the car from what I can make out so it was younger when problems started to arise.

180k is 111,000 miles in old money. Are we going back to the days where we have to be wary of anything over 100,000 miles as potential money pits.

It's amazing what people are willing to put up with to have a premium brand sitting on the driveway to coo over.

Our house has an Auris that is older and with more miles on it that never missed a beat. I'd be pissed if mechanical problems started on it even now.

..... bathtub curve...... Over thousands of cars with thousands of parts occasional failure is inevitable.

Not all A4s need EGR replaced at 6 years old, sh1t happens and in this case Audi are stepping up with goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Audi aren't a premium brand, as much as they link to think they are.
    Mercedes and BMW are the premium ones.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Audi aren't a premium brand, as much as they link to think they are.
    Mercedes and BMW are the premium ones.

Expand..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement