Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Did you enjoy AI? I've been looking at it, friend played it, got a bit annoyed at one part not being as fleshed out but you reminded me to ask if they finished it

I loved it and it is probably the best work Uchikoshi has done and I have played a lot of his works, the characters are all interesting, the pacing is very good also which usually is the hardest thing to get right with a VN and there is a good mix of horror and humour to the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started shin megami tensei apocalypse. Can't believe I've not touched it considering how much I adored smt4. Forgot how good smtt4 is and really enjoying it.

I guess persona 5 will have to wait again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

A few 3DS JRPGs in the nintendo sale. Any thoughts on Devil Survivor 2? I've looked up a few videos but not sure what the gameplay outside of battle is like. Is it well regarded among SMT games?

Thinking that maybe or another Etrian Odyssey game for the collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Devil survivor series very highly regarded. It's a bit like fire emblem with smt elements. Outside of combat theres just story sections with multiple choice questions.

It's also the worst boobs don't work that way offender

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Devil survivor series very highly regarded. It's a bit like fire emblem with smt elements. Outside of combat theres just story sections with multiple choice questions.

It's also the worst boobs don't work that way offender

Any idea if I'd need to play the first installment before second, only the second one is on sale at the moment? Thinking 16 bob on that or a cheeky fiver on EO IV and pick up Devil Survivor 1 next time it's on sale. Soul hackers is on sale too.

• Advertisement

Not sure as I've only played a little of the first.

Soul hackers is very highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is shining resonance refrain worth a go on switch for €17

I've seen the collectors edition online but know very little about the game itself CE was a lot more than €17 too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've seen the collectors edition online but know very little about the game itself CE was a lot more than €17 too.

I liked the bit I played of it, a bit grindy though, where did you see the CE ?

Its around €11.50 from South Africa store if that's your thing. Downloaded the demo there, must give it a look

I liked the bit I played of it, a bit grindy though, where did you see the CE ?

Steel box version of it a good few months ago now think it might have been base or one of the UK sites was looking at weird switch collectors editions this and World End Syndrome were £35 each then Shining Resonance was gone and World End Syndrome was dirt cheap then that was gone too. I might pick it up as I've €40 credit on my switch and it does look good from what I've checked out in the last couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Steel box version of it a good few months ago now think it might have been base or one of the UK sites was looking at weird switch collectors editions this and World End Syndrome were £35 each then Shining Resonance was gone and World End Syndrome was dirt cheap then that was gone too. I might pick it up as I've €40 credit on my switch and it does look good from what I've checked out in the last couple of hours.

Its worth it at that price.

I'm not into the eshop hopping to save a few quid its too much effort think I'll toss up between this and Ys VIII thanks for the replies.

I'm not into the eshop hopping to save a few quid its too much effort think I'll toss up between this and Ys VIII thanks for the replies.

Ys VIII Is the far better game, I would just go for that if you can only get one.

Seconded for YS VIII, just finished it and it's a super game. Had it on PS4 but kind of wished I got it for the Switch. I see Atelier Ryza is in sale too, I've heard good things.

skerry wrote: »
    Seconded for YS VIII, just finished it and it's a super game. Had it on PS4 but kind of wished I got it for the Switch. I see Atelier Ryza is in sale too, I've heard good things.

Will you be doing a platnium run?

Will you be doing a platnium run?

I havent even checked what trophies are outstanding for the platinum. Did you do one? I actually dont pay huge attention to trophies or achievements cos they usually turn out to be too grindy for my liking.

I'll try the shining demo the sale is on for the next two weeks I loved the Ys vita games didn't manage to get VIII though it's been on my Switch radar for months everytime it goes on sale I say this time I'll get it.

I havent even checked what trophies are outstanding for the platinum. Did you do one? I actually dont pay huge attention to trophies or achievements cos they usually turn out to be too grindy for my liking.

I actually played it on switch first but it was very cheap on the ps4 store so I brought it again in an attempt to get it.

There's a second helping of games next Thursday with a lot of Nintendo AAA being added there's a lot of JRPG that haven't gone on sale this week so I might just opt for the demo and then buy next week if nothing else is added thanks again for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,240 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's what kingdom hearts always was. A button masher.

Tabata and his team managed to do some really good work with BBS but it was a different team on KH3 and they made another bland game.... This one even more so.

I've finally reached the end game and of course the game finally starts getting reasonable (it took the return of the BBS cast unsurprisinhly).

And now, after cakewalking the game with my eyes closed for 30 hours, this Armour Xenahort lad appears with 16 health bars, constant barrages and the worse camera ever.

Ridiculous difficulty spike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Has anyone given Zanki Zero a go yet? That was something I was kinda looking at but don't know anyone who has played it.
    Xenji wrote: »
    I loved it and it is probably the best work Uchikoshi has done and I have played a lot of his works, the characters are all interesting, the pacing is very good also which usually is the hardest thing to get right with a VN and there is a good mix of horror and humour to the story.
    I'm glad to hear, I adored VLR but ZE3 I was fuming at the ending.

Shiren the wanderer 5 which is already on Vita is getting an enhanced release on switch. Would love it on pc. Was looking for an easily accessible to play game to try out a mystery dungeon game.

Has anyone given Zanki Zero a go yet?

Visual novel?

Dungeon crawler apparently with survival elements. Some visuals novel elements as well but it's spike chunsoft so should be well written at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Visual novel?
    There was a video on it maybe we last year?
    The characters get old and they die, then they get cloned, that's how the rogue like part works I think (if that makes sense I'm bit poobrain atm) thought it was interesting but haven't seen anyone picking it up.

Do status effects like Sleep work on bosses in DQXI folks? Tried a few times on a boss last night but zero success, wondering am I wasting my time.

Do status effects like Sleep work on bosses in DQXI folks? Tried a few times on a boss last night but zero success, wondering am I wasting my time.

Didn't work for me either but casting status effect such as burn I think it was do work and can make a difference in boss fights I found .

Didn't work for me either but casting status effect such as burn I think it was do work and can make a difference in boss fights I found .

No issues with the likes of burn but never seems to work if I try to confuse or sleep them. If it is possible it seems there is a very low possibility of it landing so probably wasting my time.

Super game though. Glad I held out for the Switch version, it's dead handy on the go.

Just spotted Trials of Mana demo on steam. Anybody tried it yet?

• Advertisement

Nope but heard very good things.

Advertisement