Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just got charged by Amazon for my P5R CE, so it is in stock and should be shipped by Sunday.

Same here thankfully, it came back into stock briefly on Wednesday which had given me hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished the very first megami tensei game. Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best dungeon crawlers I've played. Actually very surprised it holds up so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Fyi Square are shipping preorders of FF VII from their webstore, one of my friends received his copy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got an email about a refund from Amazon
    Bricks thinking it's P5 Royal cancelled
    No it's a £2 refund on it
    Phew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Fyi Square are shipping preorders of FF VII from their webstore, one of my friends received his copy today.

Holy crap, he in Ireland?

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Holy crap, he in Ireland?

He's in the UK.

Square have confirmed that an updated version of Nier Replicant will be released on Steam, PS4 and Xbox One.

I wonder if Gestalt will be available in some form as well considering it it essentially the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished YS VIII over the weekend, great game. Reckon about 40hr play through but I didn't do all the extra quests to get the 'good' ending. Think I had about 130 reputation so was short 70 rep for that ending. Might go back at some stage and mop up side quests, or could always do the unthinkable and look up the other ending on Youtube. Loved the pace of the action, fingers were bate off me after some of the harder boss fights but I reckon if I spend more time mastering the combat system it would have felt less button mashy.

Between games now. I'm thinking maybe pick up Dragon Quest XI again. Bought Collection of Mana but gonna keep them for handheld sessions. Played a bit of Gears 5 last night to mix things up between JRPGs but I tire of shooting things quickly. Also have FF9 and 12 which I haven't even looked at yet so plenty of options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Finished YS VIII over the weekend, great game. Reckon about 40hr play through but I didn't do all the extra quests to get the 'good' ending. Think I had about 130 reputation so was short 70 rep for that ending. Might go back at some stage and mop up side quests, or could always do the unthinkable and look up the other ending on Youtube. Loved the pace of the action, fingers were bate off me after some of the harder boss fights but I reckon if I spend more time mastering the combat system it would have felt less button mashy.

Between games now. I'm thinking maybe pick up Dragon Quest XI again. Bought Collection of Mana but gonna keep them for handheld sessions. Played a bit of Gears 5 last night to mix things up between JRPGs but I tire of shooting things quickly. Also have FF9 and 12 which I haven't even looked at yet so plenty of options.

What difficultly level did you play on?

Square have confirmed they've shipped FF VII early in Europe and Australia and have asked people not to spoil the story if received before April 10th.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1244538864263364608?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square have confirmed they've shipped FF VII early in Europe and Australia and have asked people not to spoil the story if received before April 10th.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1244538864263364608?s=19

Aeris dies.

• Advertisement

What difficultly level did you play on?

Good question, pretty sure it was normal, I'm not much of a hard mode masochist for the most part. Super combat in it, gets really impressive once you start unlocking decent skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finished the switch port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions recently and though it was very meh. Characters were all basic jrpg tropes and the idol/music focus had no real impact on the gameplay. Definitely a big step down from the persona and SMT games. Speaking of which is SMT V ever going to get a release date ?

Fell off Tokyo Xanadu lately as well. All the characters were painfully boring but the combat made up for it until they introduced the wonky platforming bits.

Think I might try the trails series next. I have trails of cold steel 1 on my vita. Is that a good one to start with for anyone who's played them ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aeris dies.

You're wrong she doesn't die! lloyd from legend of dragoon makes an appearance and its revealed that he is in fact her father! and that's how the two games interconnect with one another.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Finished the switch port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions recently and though it was very meh. Characters were all basic jrpg tropes and the idol/music focus had no real impact on the gameplay. Definitely a big step down from the persona and SMT games. Speaking of which is SMT V ever going to get a release date ?

Fell off Tokyo Xanadu lately as well. All the characters were painfully boring but the combat made up for it until they introduced the wonky platforming bits.

Think I might try the trails series next. I have trails of cold steel 1 on my vita. Is that a good one to start with for anyone who's played them ?

Trails is fantastic ! you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've done everything possible in Etrian Odyssey Nexus, now I'm kinda lost on what to do. I want to go back and play more Dragon Quest 8 at some point, but I don't want to ump straight back into an rpg right after spending so much time completing another rpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aeris dies.

4 games from now

So much for hoping Amazon would ship P5R on time, still "awaiting dispatch". I know delivery times are bad atm but this is normal course of order for them, plus people I know in the UK got their copies from Amazon as early as Saturday.

So much for hoping Amazon would ship P5R on time, still "awaiting dispatch". I know delivery times are bad atm but this is normal course of order for them, plus people I know in the UK got their copies from Amazon as early as Saturday.

Mine got delivered to the Parcel Motel depot this afternoon, it shipped yesterday morning.

Xenji wrote: »
    Mine got delivered to the Parcel Motel depot this afternoon, it shipped yesterday morning.

Which is a UK delivery, I've got mine shipping to my home address. Amazon the last couple of years have been getting increasingly bad at shipping items to Ireland in a reasonable timeframe unless you have Prime. Once it actually leaves their warehouses RM and An Post always do a bang up job and usually deliver within 2 working days.

Which is a UK delivery, I've got mine shipping to my home address. Amazon the last couple of years have been getting increasingly bad at shipping items to Ireland in a reasonable timeframe unless you have Prime. Once it actually leaves their warehouses RM and An Post always do a bang up job and usually deliver within 2 working days.

Mine was sent to home address in Ireland and got the dispatch email on the 27th

• Advertisement

After finishing up YS VIII I said I'd play a non-JRPG for a bit. Here I am playing Dragon Quest XI. Was about 15 hours in I think when I left it down a couple months back. Loving the little update on progress when you start a game, wish more games did that.

Just managed to scrape through the
    Jasper
    boss fight in Gondolia with only Hero left, rest of party wiped. Maybe I'm just rusty but definitely seems like a decent difficulty spike for that boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The difference between the P5R reviews on IGN and Eurogamer is striking.

Sadly, it's the EG one that speaks more truth to me.

Bad day to announce it but Trails of Cold Steel 4 coming to ps4 in fall of this year and 2021 on switch and pc

noodler wrote: »
    The difference between the P5R reviews on IGN and Eurogamer is striking.

Sadly, it's the EG one that speaks more truth to me.

Malindy Hetfeld seems to put down the majority of games she reviews, especially Japanese ones with the fantastic AI: The Somnium Files being the exception.

Trails IV coming west

https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2020/04/01/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iv-announced-for-north-america

:EDIT: Damn Legend of Dragoon hater beat me to it !

:pac:

Mine was sent to home address in Ireland and got the dispatch email on the 27th
    It arrived today if anyone's dispatch was around the same time

Xenji wrote: »
    Malindy Hetfeld seems to put down the majority of games she reviews, especially Japanese ones with the fantastic AI: The Somnium Files being the exception.
    Did you enjoy AI? I've been looking at it, friend played it, got a bit annoyed at one part not being as fleshed out but you reminded me to ask if they finished it

It arrived today if anyone's dispatch was around the same time

Mine only shipped yesterday, already in country and should be delivered with the post in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Slogged through the initial palace of P5:R. They've added enough new content and mechanics that it feels like I'm playing a new game.

The handholding is over and now I'm free to play the game. I always admire how stylish the Persona series is.

Advertisement