Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

From what I’ve heard Royal is the one to play for sure if you haven’t played the original as it smooths out rough edges, but more of a ‘maybe’ if you have (and I didn’t love the original to the same degree as P3 and P4). Obviously a different call if you want to spend the extra cash given you’ve already got the original, though :)

That's actually fair, I have read there are a number of quality of life adjustments which may make more a more streamlined experience.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The recommended starting point for tales games is do t bother. They're all the same. I enjoyed Symphonia and I hears later ones are good but any of the ones I tried are just the same as Symphonia.

Ff7 remake is out. Probably a good one to sink your teeth into.

Did you just recommend FF7?

It may well be my favourite game ever and we'll reviewed but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for the midgar portion of the game (only to have to wait three years for the next portion).

Any other recs? Bearing in my mind my DQXI love? I've thought about VC4, world of FF or FFXV in the current psn sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I've had Persona 5 for a couple of years now, but haven't touched it. I was thinking it's time to finally play it, and I happened upon P5 Royal, which is apparently an updated version of P5.

Do I have to play P5R? Can I just play P5 without needing to pay another 60 euro just to play the updated version? Am I missing out otherwise? 60 quid seems like a lot for features I feel I might not miss out on.

Yeah id just sell your P5 copy and get P5R if i were you, its adds new content/characters and i think i read it smooths out some of the pacing issues.

Also i really enjoyed Tales of Vesperia on the switch, it was my first tales game mind you though, i gave up on Beseria for no particular reason, think i just ran out of RPG steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

noodler wrote: »
    I appreciated the DQXI love on those lists.

I absolutely adored it.

Need something else to sink my teeth into.

Anyone any recs? In the jrpg mold?

Is there a recommended starting point for these "tales"games perhaps?

Can't remember if recommended this to you before or not but Ys VIII and the trails games .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It may well be my favourite game ever and we'll reviewed but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for the midgar portion of the game (only to have to wait three years for the next portion).

Any other recs? Bearing in my mind my DQXI love? I've thought about VC4, world of FF or FFXV in the current psn sale.

Seems to be reviewing very well and despite flaws seems to be well worth a play. It's a decent chunk of game as well.

Not played VC4 but heard it's great. World of FF I hear isnt great. 15 again I need to play more of.

You tried trails of cold Steel series? Start with the first one. They can be slow going but the story is amazing in them.

Digimon cyber sleuth is far better than it has any right to be.

I've been hearing from people that really like RPGs that Saga Scarlet Grace is game of the decade material. However it is a saga game and they tend to be very esoteric and not for everyone.

• Advertisement

Seems to be reviewing very well and despite flaws seems to be well worth a play. It's a decent chunk of game as well.

Not played VC4 but heard it's great. World of FF I hear isnt great. 15 again I need to play more of.

You tried trails of cold Steel series? Start with the first one. They can be slow going but the story is amazing in them.

Digimon cyber sleuth is far better than it has any right to be.

I've been hearing from people that really like RPGs that Saga Scarlet Grace is game of the decade material. However it is a saga game and they tend to be very esoteric and not for everyone.

Cheers, I actually meant trails rather than tales, my bad.

So I could start with the first trails of cold steel, I'm patient enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely start with the first. The cold Steel games all follow each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Tokyo Xanadu Ex is a steal at €10 in the Big in Japan sale, also Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana would be my first recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

P5R adds quite a bit of new content and due to that is a different game with it's own trophy list. Nothing stopping you from playing the vanilla version, which is still an excellent game in and of itself.
    From what I’ve heard Royal is the one to play for sure if you haven’t played the original as it smooths out rough edges, but more of a ‘maybe’ if you have (and I didn’t love the original to the same degree as P3 and P4). Obviously a different call if you want to spend the extra cash given you’ve already got the original, though :)
    That's actually fair, I have read there are a number of quality of life adjustments which may make more a more streamlined experience.
    nix wrote: »
    Yeah id just sell your P5 copy and get P5R if i were you, its adds new content/characters and i think i read it smooths out some of the pacing issues.

Also i really enjoyed Tales of Vesperia on the switch, it was my first tales game mind you though, i gave up on Beseria for no particular reason, think i just ran out of RPG steam.

Goddamn it lads lol I was two hours into P5 before I read through all of these.

I'll borrow some money out of my bill money so :pac:

Goddamn it lads lol I was two hours into P5 before I read through all of these.

I'll borrow some money out of my bill money so :pac:

Its such a long game, ye may aswell, 2hrs aint much, plus you will fly back through what you've already played.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also have heard Royal is much less restrictive in its opening chapters - that bloody cat doesn’t allow you go anywhere at night for bloody ages in the original game :pac:

nix wrote: »
    Its such a long game, ye may aswell, 2hrs aint much, plus you will fly back through what you've already played.
    Also have heard Royal is much less restrictive in its opening chapters - that bloody cat doesn’t allow you go anywhere at night for bloody ages in the original game :pac:

Sound for the heads up lads. Now I don't feel so bad about buying it :pac: Nearly finished downloading now

Plus you get to play through the opening sequence again with that banger of a tune :pac:

Streaming trials of mana if anyone has any interest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenji wrote: »
    Tokyo Xanadu Ex is a steal at €10 in the Big in Japan sale, also Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana would be my first recommendation.
    Picked up Xanadu and a few others, thanks so much for posting

Just finished watching it. Very fascinating stuff but now I cannot unsee those fcking solid "shadows" under the characters' feet in the remasters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Enjoying P5 Royal thus far. It has just about enough little changes/quality of life improvements scattered throughout to make it feel like a fresh experience three years on from when I played the original. The opening five or six hours until the first palace becomes open are still a total slog, though, but everything after that definitely feels less dialogue heavy and less restrictive. I'm more than happy to sink another 100+ hours into it and it's nice knowing that when i finish the main game there's a brand new (and apparently excellent) 30 hour segment waiting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Finished Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk making it the first time I've actually beaten a DRPG. I've gotten to dislike over complex systems like the later Disgaea games but they were honestly an advantage here since I'm not great at party building and the flexibility they offer let me make changes to keep progressing without having to go through completely rebuilding my team. I might even do the post game since I'm trying to focus on beating games I own instead of just buying more during the lockdown.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

megaten wrote: »
    Finished Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk making it the first time I've actually beaten a DRPG. I've gotten to dislike over complex systems like the later Disgaea games but they were honestly an advantage here since I'm not great at party building and the flexibility they offer let me make changes to keep progressing without having to go through completely rebuilding my team. I might even do the post game since I'm trying to focus on beating games I own instead of just buying more during the lockdown.

How was it? Tough?

• Advertisement

How was it? Tough?
    Hard to say since I played the bluk of it around christmas but I don't think it was too though? Like I said you have a lot of flexibility and systems to change your approach if you start struggling. I did have to drop the game down to easy to beat two of the hidden bosses because I wasn't interested in changing things up when I had no dungeons left to explore.

megaten wrote: »
    Hard to say since I played the bluk of it around christmas but I don't think it was too though? Like I said you have a lot of flexibility and systems to change your approach if you start struggling. I did have to drop the game down to easy to beat two of the hidden bosses because I wasn't interested in changing things up when I had no dungeons left to explore.

How many hours did you put into it?

So I'm 7 hours into Persona 5 Royal................... welp... I'm in it for the long haul now. This game is...... jesus christ lol

So I'm 7 hours into Persona 5 Royal................... welp... I'm in it for the long haul now. This game is...... jesus christ lol

I'm about 23 hours in and haven't even started the second dungeon properly yet.

I'm about 23 hours in and haven't even started the second dungeon properly yet.

I think I messed up on my one. I think the first deadline is May 5th, and I think I'm on April 30th (After School), and Morgana just said to me "it's too late" or something to that effect. I have it paused right now so I haven't continued on to see what she meant

It took me over 120hrs to finish the game, i didnt rush through it but i also didnt do all the side stuff, a good chunk id say but not completed..

And thats the original, so id say it will be a lot longer with Royal.

How many hours did you put into it?
    I took about 43 hours to beat the game + hidden bosses.

I think I messed up on my one. I think the first deadline is May 5th, and I think I'm on April 30th (After School), and Morgana just said to me "it's too late" or something to that effect. I have it paused right now so I haven't continued on to see what she meant

Too late to go outside at night maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Just wrapped up Act 1 of Dragon Quest XI. Forty hours on the button, I'm guessing the next 2 acts are shorter. Great game so far.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    Just wrapped up Act 1 of Dragon Quest XI. Forty hours on the button, I'm guessing the next 2 acts are shorter. Great game so far.

Ha ha! Get ready for the real game!

Advertisement