Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Any thoughts on Collection of Mana folks. I never played the original games so they hold no nostalgic value for me. Would they be worth trying regardless?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,961 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's worth it. Love the gameboy game despite it being a bit simple and it's way way better than the gba remake

Lots of people recently give out about secret of Mana but I love it still. Worth it for SoM along.

As for seiken densetsu 3... I really don't like the game. Best wait for the remake to play that one.

So worth it for the other 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

skerry wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Collection of Mana folks. I never played the original games so they hold no nostalgic value for me. Would they be worth trying regardless?

Hard to say? I've beaten the first two games before and got a decent amount into Trials of mana before but they are very simplistic games and the package is literally just the roms as far as I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,961 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might just be the roms but the emulation is M2 emulation which is superb.

Sound lads, I really enjoyed Grandia but from what I understand the combat system in Mana games is a lot more simplistic, which is understandable seeing as they are from a previous gen. Decent discount on few square games on Switch at the moment but I also have a shameful backlog to tackle too, might hold off.

• Advertisement

It's nothing like Grandia, it's very much an action RPG.

If you rope people along you can even play the game 2 or 3 player. Well Secret of Man and Trials of Mana. It's a lot of fun that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any news when we can expect Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for switch? haven't heard anything since it was announced.

Any news when we can expect Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for switch? haven't heard anything since it was announced.

Leaked launch date suggests may. Also they are adding in areas that are cut from the original release.

I'll thinks bout buying it. For me it was one of the very best RPGs of the last 20 years but it's putting another 150 hours of my life into it that is putting me off.

I never got very far in into Xenoblade chronicles and mostly enjoyed XB2 so I might pick it up once I beat Tokyo Mirage sessions and Labyrinth of Refrain on my switch.

• Advertisement

I adored it. Combat was great. Loved how exp gain was weighted towards exploration and sidequests and the small addition of not having to turn in side quests made doing them so much easier. Even loved the story which ended up being a really great sci fi take and the love triangle was the best in a videogame since lufia 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I found the game really difficult at times, it has the best soundtrack I've heard in a long time though.

I found the game really difficult at times, it has the best soundtrack I've heard in a long time though.

It's not difficult really. Basically if you are within 5 levels on an enemy you'll do damage. Below that and you might as well be having a fight with a concrete wall using a nerf gun. If you want to beat the game by the critical path you'll hit the boss and get chewed out. Basically the game expects you to fully explore each area and do side quests before moving on. It's grand if you do that. The last few bosses are tough but beatable and the final boss requires you to do a few end game sidequests get the levels to beat him but didn't find the game that tough once you took your time.

I know a lot of people just bounced off the first boss and wrote it off but levels make a massive difference in the game. Once you take your time and not critical path it it's a very manageable.

Whoever decided enemies that level you down in Megami Tensei was a good thing can go suck all the dick!

Never played original Xenoblade Chronicles but loved XC2 so will be a day one purchase for me I think.

On to chapter 5 in YS VIII, man the chapters are long but really enjoying it. Just seen that I need over 200 rep to get the true ending. Checked and I'm only at 82 with 1 point awarded for each side quest. Sounds like it will be a bit of a grind to get to 200. Anyone who's finished it know if it's worth doing?

Only one game is bad enough to have a localization this bad:

507073.jpg

^^^ Is that LOG? greatest game ever made!!!!

^^^ Is that LOG? greatest game ever made!!!!

Yeah 'LOG'

LOG of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

New Direct, Xenoblade is out on May 29th with a new epilogue chapter.

New Direct, Xenoblade is out on May 29th with a new epilogue chapter.

Fantastic news!

• Advertisement

Should be finished YS VIII this weekend and keeping with my policy of finish a game/ buy a game I have my eye on either Star Ocean First Departure R or Collection of Mana. Anyone care to push me in the direction of which might be a better purchase, both on sale on Switch at the moment? Had asked last week about Mana but have no clue about Star Ocean games or if this is a good entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'll admit to being a massive fan of Star Ocean: First Departure, since I played it multiple times on the PSP. It's good, there are more fans of the second Star Ocean game, but I prefer First Departure. Never played a Mana game though.

I'd recommend collection of Mana. The first and second games are great. Never liked trials but hear the upcoming remake fixes an awful lot.

Star ocean.... Never really liked any of the series. It always seems like it's going to be a great sci fi rpg like panzer dragoon or phantasy star but then dives head long into standard fantasy world.

I enjoyed Til the end of time (even the twist) back when I played it as a teenager but I'd be surprised if I enjoyed it if I went back to it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Massive fan translation news today and a biggie for Trails fans.

Zero no Kiseki has a fan translation from geofront released/on the verge of release for PC.

It's the first in the Crossbell series which bridges Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel.

This leaves only Ao no Kiseki untranslated, the second in the crossbell series. Hopefully that's geofront's next project.

Edit: Apparently there's a buggy but pretty complete fan translation of Ao no Kiseki on PSP and PC.

There's a possibility these games might get an official release as both are getting a PS4 release in Japan for the Cold Steel 4 release.

The team even recreated the original trailer in English:

https://www.siliconera.com/the-legend-of-heroes-zero-no-kiseki-is-getting-an-english-fan-translation-mod-on-march-14-2020/

https://youtu.be/CQWEc9rPhR0

I brought this but I'm having trouble installing it, do you need an emulator or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Downloaded the demo of Bravely Default 2. Interesting battle system whereby you can borrow turns if you don’t have them. The graphics are fine but the story seems to be the usual princess having to gather crystals to save the world hokum.

The preamble to the demo says the difficulty is ramped up and they are not kidding!! It is tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm trying to get through KH3.

It's been ten years but BBS was an outstanding game. I loved it. Felt like I'd endured KH1 and KH2 but BBS has a fresh narrative, characters X simplified story origin etc.

Sadly, KH3 is just a horrible (so far - just finished Caribbean section) bash X, Bash X some more.....look he's got 15 health bars, keep on bashing.

I brought this but I'm having trouble installing it, do you need an emulator or something ?

Can't really help you there. I'm sure people on the thread in Reddit or hg101 will know. I'm broke so waiting a month to buy it.

noodler wrote: »
    I'm trying to get through KH3.

It's been ten years but BBS was an outstanding game. I loved it. Felt like I'd endured KH1 and KH2 but BBS has a fresh narrative, characters X simplified story origin etc.

Sadly, KH3 is just a horrible (so far - just finished Caribbean section) bash X, Bash X some more.....look he's got 15 health bars, keep on bashing.

It's what kingdom hearts always was. A button masher.

Tabata and his team managed to do some really good work with BBS but it was a different team on KH3 and they made another bland game.... This one even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just got charged by Amazon for my P5R CE, so it is in stock and should be shipped by Sunday.

Advertisement