Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think stroll is as slow as many would like to believe.
    This year will certainly tell the tail however I wonder will checo get a raw deal seeing as stroll owns the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Lewis Hamilton hailed his debut run in the new Mercedes W10 Formula 1 car as a ‘great first date’, as he said it was one of the best starts the team had ever made.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lewis-hamilton-new-mercedes-w10-test/4337264/

Bollox anyway lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gintonious wrote: »

Ye its getting boring Lewis and Mercedes winning all the time. Really hope Ferrari and Vettel can step up to them and win this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

God review of the RB, never noticed how small the side pod inlets are.

Ms

I have to say the mirrors on the Red Bull are very neat and cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I have to say the mirrors on the Red Bull are very neat and cool.

Noticed that as well.

RB's main thing this year will be the reliability of that Honda. They gave Renault trouble with their packaging before, so god bless Honda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Read a piece on force India (or whatever they are called), funds seem to be flowing. Updates coming thick and fast to the car in early races with double their previous simular time. They seem confident that this will translate to performance onto the car pretty quickly and knowing how they have performed in the past, I don't doubt them.
    It begs the question. Why can McLaren not pretty quickly build a car to take them to top of midfield at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren MCL34 launch today at midday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    Ye its getting boring Lewis and Mercedes winning all the time. Really hope Ferrari and Vettel can step up to them and win this year.
    Isn’t that exactly the kind of thing Hamilton would say? Amazing, best ever, feels great.

I’d be surprised if the Mercedes isn’t the best on the grid but I wouldn’t take Hamilton’s word for it after a 100km filming day.

mickdw wrote: »
    Read a piece on force India (or whatever they are called), funds seem to be flowing. Updates coming thick and fast to the car in early races with double their previous simular time. They seem confident that this will translate to performance onto the car pretty quickly and knowing how they have performed in the past, I don't doubt them.

That’s interesting because that team has always been strapped for cash so they were very selective about their innovation. They won’t be used to having lots of money so time will tell how well they can use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Mclaren launch is streaming live on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Looks ok

I'm still not fully gone on the orange/blue/black combo

Think if they changed the blue to black it would suit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alfa Romeo promised a radical shape and interesting innovations to their car. Looks like they weren't kidding!

59u33eahsig21.jpg

DzXUOviWwAASpgW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo promised a radical shape and interesting innovations to their car. Looks like they weren't kidding!

59u33eahsig21.jpg

DzXUOviWwAASpgW.jpg

I'm hoping that's not just a testing livery. Didn't like the colour scheme from last year with the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'm hoping that's not just a testing livery. Didn't like the colour scheme from last year with the white.

I'm actually hoping it IS a test livery, as it's got bloody Valentine hearts on it :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Plenty of sponsors this time. As much as I have never been a McLaren fan, I really do hope they can turn their fortunes around.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I'm actually hoping it IS a test livery, as it's got bloody Valentine hearts on it :p:p:p

Didn’t spot the hearts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Plenty of sponsors this time. As much as I have never been a McLaren fan, I really do hope they can turn their fortunes around.

Still lots of empty space. That applies to a lot of the teams though. Definitely seems like the cars are much more sparse with sponsors than they were a couple of decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Sauber have a strange front wing. I wonder did they spot a loophole in new regs. What's the bets ferrari and Haas have something similar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I saw a similar design on the new Merc.

I saw a similar design on the new Merc.

Have a look at the photos on motorsport.com. The sauber has a big gap between end plates and the wings inside

DzT2qa_X4AEX1tm.jpg:large

^Some of the livery on the Alfa today.

DzXa9xRXQAEmXV-.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

H3llR4iser wrote:
    I'm actually hoping it IS a test livery, as it's got bloody Valentine hearts on it

That's an image of a Cloverleaf. Certain Alfa models of the past were branded with a green cloverleaf to signal a special edition. The one's I can remember were the Alfasud, Guilietta, Sprint, 33 and 75. Last seasons Sauber also carried this logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Cloverleaf is there, but so too are the hearts!

DzX-XhqWsAA_zk1.jpg

recyclebin wrote: »
    DzXa9xRXQAEmXV-.jpg:large

That front wing...either its like that for the shakedown or this is a very interesting way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

chicorytip wrote: »
    That's an image of a Cloverleaf. Certain Alfa models of the past were branded with a green cloverleaf to signal a special edition. The one's I can remember were the Alfasud, Guilietta, Sprint, 33 and 75. Last seasons Sauber also carried this logo.

Wrong person to lecture about Alfa Romeo history :p

In the past there were also "Quadrifoglio Oro" (gold cloverleaf) version to identify top-or-the-line equipped cars.

The hearts are alternated to the Cloverleaves in some triangles. Might be a reference to the Valentine's day shakedown, or to the "Cuore Sportivo" motto of the past. We'll see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Wheels tend to be a huge aero headache and is why the front wings used to have lots of vanes to channel air efficiently to the outside of the wheels. I can't see this wing being a result of development over the winter period. Plus the lack of surface area of the wing planes will undoubtedly have less downforce.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Are the filming days on special tyres? Would they get any useful downforce data? Probably not. I'd guess its not the real front wing too.

Ms

The Mclaren looks nice. Really hope they can do better this year but still think they will miss having an experienced driver like Alonso around.

The Alfa certainly looks different but Id say the livery is not there final livery and that front wing is quite unusual.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Close-up of the front wing on the Alfa:

Kimi-Raeikkoenen-Alfa-Romeo-Sauber-C38-Shakedown-Fiorano-2019-fotoshowBig-ce400552-1424495.jpg

Dzb636EX0AAlE0D?format=jpg&name=medium

Ferrari SF90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

These cars are just works of art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

I see they changed the Mission Winnow to grey/black likely to get around the link to Marlboro and current investigations.

Interesting position of the mirrors but if they lose the bodywork piece they are attached to the mirror is gone as well. EDIT: It’s attached separately to the main bodywork as well hard to see in that picture but the other attachment could still result in a lost mirror just not as likely as I first thought.

That Mission Winnow logo was atrocious last year. In black it is only look marginally better. Other than that red and black is a nice look.

Ms

OSI wrote: »
    Ferrari have copied the McLaren nose from last year?

Ii does like they copied part of it alright. Its not as ugly at the front do as the Mclaren nose was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some pics of the new Toro Rosso from their filiming day:

Daniil-Kvyat-Toro-Rosso-STR14-Shakedown-Misano-Formel-1-2019-fotoshowBig-2a2c2d84-1424682.jpg
    Daniil-Kvyat-Toro-Rosso-STR14-Shakedown-Misano-Formel-1-2019-fotoshowBig-676ab7f9-1424684.jpg

Looks like the paint is a matte finish.

You can actually see the Honda name on their car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Channel 4 highlights will remain more or less the same. Ben Edwards and David Coulthard in the box with Lee McKenzie in the paddock. Steve Jones remains as anchor and Mark Webber and Eddie Jordan are staying as pundits. Billy Monger also joins the team but I doubt it'll be as Karun Chandoks replacement. No word as to who that is.
    https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019/02/15/billy-monger-joins-channel-4s-f1-team-as-2019-coverage-details-finalised/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

28cf4c22ab4e22a9adb2268d61b741a4-4

So THIS is actually the new Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

flazio wrote:
    Channel 4 highlights will remain more or less the same. Ben Edwards and David Coulthard in the box with Lee McKenzie in the paddock. Steve Jones remains as anchor and Mark Webber and Eddie Jordan are staying as pundits. Billy Monger also joins the team but I doubt it'll be as Karun Chandoks replacement. No word as to who that is.

Will they be showing any of the races live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That is so much better. Williams first failure of the year - their initial presentation. The lighting did nothing for the car!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The British GP is the only live race on channel 4.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Sky have the whole thing wrapped up until the end of 2024.

The British Grand Prix is probably the only race that will escape Sky’s exclusivity in that time

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Some pics of the new Toro Rosso from their filiming day:

Looks like the paint is a matte finish.
    I think lots if not all cars are matte this year. I think it looks cool but apparently red bull found some small aero advantage last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Gintonious wrote: »
    So THIS is actually the new Williams.
    astrofluff wrote: »
    That is so much better. Williams first failure of the year - their initial presentation. The lighting did nothing for the car!!

It looks much less like a toothpaste tube now!

I think it looks good. And it will be distinctive on the grid. Considering they’re one of the few (2?) teams that have a new livery, I think it’s good.

Some front view pics of the top three teams:

Mercedes:

Mercedes-AMG-F1-W10-F1-Auto-2019-fotoshowBig-bbfb3a90-1424026.jpg

Ferrari:

Ferrari-SF90-F1-Auto-2019-fotoshowBig-1b51df9-1424749.jpg

Red Bull:

Red-Bull-RB15-F1-Auto-2019-articleDetail-7bd85ed1-1424104.jpg

I like the triangle shape airbox on the Ferrari.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement