Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 miked84

hi guys, thinking about applying next time, just wanted to know if i'm wasting my time, cause I suffered from depression a few years ago.

if anyone has any links or what legislation applies (or doesn't apply) would be interested.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Hi all,

Has anyone found out the number of people who have applied for Garda 2008 this time round? It will be a good way of finding out how fast the recruitment will go this time round!
    If anyone finds out, please let us all no...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Hi Everybody.
    I'm a newbie on the board, but I've read through quite alot of the other threads on Garda recruitment (Good idea to split the topic, there was alot of great info on it!)
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info. I've just applied for the Guards myself. My aptitude test is in 2 weeks, and last weekend I did a prep day course (very useful)
    Anyway, I also have a quick question if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I filled out my stage 2 form, but just realised that I wasnt supposed to give three scenarios for each question, (which I did-stupidly! :rolleyes: ) but that the a, b and c were actually for different aspects to the scenario. Is this likely to go against me in the interview if I make it that far?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Hi Everybody.
    I'm a newbie on the board, but I've read through quite alot of the other threads on Garda recruitment (Good idea to split the topic, there was alot of great info on it!)
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info. I've just applied for the Guards myself. My aptitude test is in 2 weeks, and last weekend I did a prep day course (very useful)
    Anyway, I also have a quick question if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I filled out my stage 2 form, but just realised that I wasnt supposed to give three scenarios for each question, (which I did-stupidly! :rolleyes: ) but that the a, b and c were actually for different aspects to the scenario. Is this likely to go against me in the interview if I make it that far?
    Thanks

dont think it will, but they might just pick one of the examples you named and ask you about a particular one, so you might have to learn off all 12 scenario's rather than 4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Thanks Dr Mason,
    That's ok I dont mind learning them all.. it will be a break from all the analytic reasoning tests I've been doing! Stupid mistake but sure there's not much I can do now I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Thanks Dr Mason,
    That's ok I dont mind learning them all.. it will be a break from all the analytic reasoning tests I've been doing! Stupid mistake but sure there's not much I can do now I suppose..

A lot of people do that - I've done it twice myself, and passed the interview each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Hi Everybody.
    Thanks

Wouldn't imagine this will not matter at all. If you fitted 3 scenarios into 1 box, you have a better way with words than me . I got it hard to fit 1 in but as the good doctor says just make sure you know all 12. There is a higher chance of being caught out on interview. Good luck

DustyMan wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone any opinion of the age limit rule i.e 35. Will it ever be lifted? Sure I know it was from 26 to 35 a couple of years ago but will they raise it again. The majority of forces in UK including PSNI (age limit 50 I believe?), US and Australia have no upper age limit.
    Also is it possible they (Gardai) could (as in other forces worldwide) allow people who have served say 2 years in the reserves a chance to apply to the full time force with no conditions regarding age, within reason! ;-)
    Just wondering does anyone have any opinions on the above? :cool:

I know there was a guy in the Feb '08 intake who was 37. He had time served in the defence forces which obviously stood to him. However the definative answer on this can only be answered by the Gardai. I would imagine there is no point in applying they normal way through Publicjobs as the application will not be processed. Ring Garda HQ appointments on (01) 6661644 and ask them straight out is there any intention to increase the upper age limit or on what grounds do they extend this, if any, in special circumstances?
    You will then have your answer which I hope you will share here with this thread. Best of luck with your endeavours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 becks4bucks

new to all this so bare with me! did my test on the 14th , went well. Just a question to haz33 - im 31 and im unsure as to whether they would view this as being too old - like yourself I have had a good few jobs. should i get to the interview , will this pose a problem?

new to all this so bare with me! did my test on the 14th , went well. Just a question to haz33 - im 31 and im unsure as to whether they would view this as being too old - like yourself I have had a good few jobs. should i get to the interview , will this pose a problem?

I'm no Haz, but I think I can help. It's not a problem at all, there is few of us similar age who went through the process no problem. I'm 28 myself, held about 10 jobs and lived at more than 10 different addresses, here and abroad.

It might slow down your background check a little bit, but that's about it.

In fact, there is a rumour going around that they are looking for "more mature" candidates.

• Advertisement

cheers for that , funnily enough I was told the exact same thing about the "mature" candidate. Im also married with two kids so that should be enough maturity for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i am 34, with a 13yr old boy and have worked plenty of jobs. i feel i have a lot more to offer than an 18yr straight out of school, have worked in various jobs, with various people and have "life experience" which is a big thing nowadays.

should be a laugh in templemore though!! all the auld ones and the young ones!!! wait till you see though the auld ones will be the wildest!!!!

cheers for that , funnily enough I was told the exact same thing about the "mature" candidate. Im also married with two kids so that should be enough maturity for them!

Yeah becks, like OJ said. You wont have any problems. They do seem to want the older candidate and I too have two kids so it definately doesn't concern them too much.

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    i am 34, with a 13yr old boy and have worked plenty of jobs. i feel i have a lot more to offer than an 18yr straight out of school, have worked in various jobs, with various people and have "life experience" which is a big thing nowadays.

should be a laugh in templemore though!! all the auld ones and the young ones!!! wait till you see though the auld ones will be the wildest!!!!

Yeah I think this is how they get away with not having to employ baby sitters!! :D lol

cheers lads, did a degree in businesslaw 10 years ago , have worked in accountancy since then with a few companies - for thast three years i have been working parttime and now fulltime as a security guard. really enjoy the whole security aspec ie meeting people , following procedures etc. i made the decision to leave accountancy behind. Ijust dont want to be a security guard for the rest of my life - i really do hope i get into an G.S

cheers lads, did a degree in businesslaw 10 years ago , have worked in accountancy since then with a few companies - for thast three years i have been working parttime and now fulltime as a security guard. really enjoy the whole security aspec ie meeting people , following procedures etc. i made the decision to leave accountancy behind. Ijust dont want to be a security guard for the rest of my life - i really do hope i get into an G.S

Good luck with it. Plenty going in your favour. You could be the head of C.A.B. some day.

just getting my foot in the door will do me fine!

Haz33 wrote: »
    Good luck with it. Plenty going in your favour. You could be the head of C.A.B. some day.

+ 1. I reckon backgrouind in accounting will go a long way

i hope they pass me at stage 1 so i can work on the interview with all my background , hav , oj - are ye both in templemore or are ye in the recruitment process

i hope they pass me at stage 1 so i can work on the interview with all my background , hav , oj - are ye both in templemore or are ye in the recruitment process

Oh no, I'm actually Fachtna Murphy, I'll put a word in for you.

Only messing of course, we are after passing eveything, just waiting to be called, background checks are taking ages. Haz might still have a physical to pass, i'm not 100% sure though. Physical is a breeze anyway.

• Advertisement

excellent stuff , i take it so that the two of ye will be starting in templemore in august. i bet yer on top of the world! i reckon ill get the results of the apt test around the 27th of this month so we will see - i hope im in yer psition come the end of august

they better be starting cus they are gonna owe me some drinks!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Dont mind the doctor, he is confusing himself with me!!!!:D

I'm leading in the Push& Pull category at the moment, so i'm the one getting some drinks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

ojewriej wrote: »
    I'm leading in the Push& Pull category at the moment, so i'm the one getting some drinks

One of our guys did 90 on it. Had to be seen to be believed.

psni wrote: »

jesus, thats good going.

psni wrote: »

Is that him?

robocop-792844bmp.jpg

Only messing of course, we are after passing eveything, just waiting to be called, background checks are taking ages. Haz might still have a physical to pass, i'm not 100% sure though. Physical is a breeze anyway.

Yeah I have everything done except PCT (this day week) background checks complete so hoping to get started in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Is that him?

robocop-792844bmp.jpg

Ye he would be good on the Push Pull but pure ****e on the obstacle course, though in saying that he could just kinda walk through all the obstacles, compensation maybe???

• Advertisement

Wait till the ould lad goes down and surprises ye all. It will be a dear night for ye guys and I wont be drinking complan either.

Jaysus OJ I thought that picture was of the push/pull machine. Which bit do you grab?

Advertisement