Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Younganne wrote: »
    Deferred GFA confirmed in post. . . not to get fit again!!:eek:

Surely ya mean now?? Not to get fit for a marathon isn’t advised........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

oops ye now to get fit!!! Coffee needed,:eek: lucky Mrs OOnegative was about to stock up my coffee levels!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was just about to go and setup reminders for when to book my cheap train tickets to London, and they were already available so now have my 1st Class seats booked ahead of schedule and the hotel was paid for way back in August. I'm just being far too efficient this year.

Now to get some training done... and make sure that the kid doesn't get ill and bring the rest of us down with them again this year.

Anyone know if its possible to defer GFA spot for 2 years in a row or is it a one time deal only....Plantar Fasciitis in left foot and no training done yet this year an its not like I'm coming from a good place after last year!!! Longest run last year was 8 miles.

Not sure I can clear the PF and get a good base in, in 14 weeks?? Do i just cut my loses and give up the spot???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Younganne wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to defer GFA spot for 2 years in a row or is it a one time deal only....Plantar Fasciitis in left foot and no training done yet this year an its not like I'm coming from a good place after last year!!! Longest run last year was 8 miles.

Not sure I can clear the PF and get a good base in, in 14 weeks?? Do i just cut my loses and give up the spot???

Think most majors only allow 1 year deferral.

• Advertisement

DC. wrote: »
    Think most majors only allow 1 year deferral.

Thanks, I will leave be for another few weeks and see how things work out..

EDIT: just found this

Deferring your 2019 Good for Age entry. Participants who have a Good for Age entry for 2019 will be eligible to defer their entry to 2020, based on two conditions: You must not have deferred your 2018 entry to 2019. Your qualifying time must have been in 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, it's only a 1 year deferral for London.

Slightly different for the GFA places in that you need to re-run a qualifying time from 2019 onwards for the following year that you are deferring to. For ballot and previous years GFA places it was just a straight defer for the following year, from 2019 a GFA deferral just reserves you a place amongst the 6000 places but you still need to have the qualifying time.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

How's training going? Did a hilly half here on January 20, did it just to finish but have had a nasty sinus infection that's only clearing in the last couple of days. Hoping to do around 14 miles this weekend for my long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

How's training going? Did a hilly half here on January 20, did it just to finish but have had a nasty sinus infection that's only clearing in the last couple of days. Hoping to do around 14 miles this weekend for my long run.

Going well here. Tipping along nicely, hitting paces and feel healthy. About to clock 110k for the week this afternoon. Stayed healthy so far which is a big plus as the kids and wife are getting smashed with every bug going.

Hope you get back into the swing of it after the infection.

Have you run London before? Any logistical tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

Hi. I also hope to run London this year. Got in on a UK ballot entry from my ,ahem , UK residence...
    Longest run is 17 miles to date but a few step back weeks for shorter races (Raheny) etc so I'm building up again.

Would also love to hear for someone what the course is like

And if someone can tell me what my PMP is that would be super lol

• Advertisement

Going well here. Tipping along nicely, hitting paces and feel healthy. About to clock 110k for the week this afternoon. Stayed healthy so far which is a big plus as the kids and wife are getting smashed with every bug going.

Hope you get back into the swing of it after the infection.

Have you run London before? Any logistical tips?

Ran it in 2017, when I was still living in north London. We're making the slightly offbeat choice to stay in the Premier Inn in Archway this time, we used to live close to there and it wasn't too expensive.

Public transport is free on race day with your number. You can use a contactless debit card to pay for it apart from that.

If you can get to the expo before Saturday, do. We will be going on the Friday after driving down from Manchester.

If you can fly into LCY, do, it's very convenient.

If you have young kids - do be warned that the tube is not very buggy friendly. Escalators and stairs everywhere in the central deep line stations. If any of them are under around 18 months a baby carrier would be very useful. My boys will be 15 months and 3 by race day so the other half is most likely taking a single buggy and carrier.

If you have young kids - do be warned that the tube is not very buggy friendly. Escalators and stairs everywhere in the central deep line stations. If any of them are under around 18 months a baby carrier would be very useful. My boys will be 15 months and 3 by race day so the other half is most likely taking a single buggy and carrier.

We'll be taking the gondola and then boat back from the Expo to the hotel this year. Was great fun for all concerned last time, and the bonus of being able to have a beer on the boat seeing as I wasn't running and it all took about the same time as the DLR/ Tube.

Training is going OK'ish. But have done nothing at all this week as felt a bit off colour so used that as an excuse for a few days off. Even ignoring that though I'm not feeling anything like as speedy as I was this time last year until I had to defer which is putting a bit of a downer on preparations. Last year having visions of PB's and now this year thinking I'll just have to be sensible and get a safe GFA time again...which is less fun of a target to aim for.

Much more fun to go for a PB and blowup.

Ran it in 2017, when I was still living in north London. We're making the slightly offbeat choice to stay in the Premier Inn in Archway this time, we used to live close to there and it wasn't too expensive.

Public transport is free on race day with your number. You can use a contactless debit card to pay for it apart from that.

If you can get to the expo before Saturday, do. We will be going on the Friday after driving down from Manchester.

If you can fly into LCY, do, it's very convenient.

My kids are almost identical in age hence me making the trip solo 😂

How did you find the course? Any bits to note?

How did you find the course? Any bits to note?

The first 5km is fast, with a big downhill at 3 miles in. If you have enough space to run at that point be careful to not get carried away. Ignore the mayhem of the first water station, stick to the middle of the road and away from people trying to trip you up. There is water basically every mile from three miles in, and if you are that desperate for a swig then just put your hand out and someone will pass you a bottle and save you the risk of getting tripped at the tables.

After that it is pretty much flat all the way, slight incline at Tower Bridge (but you'll not notice due to the wall of sound that you are running through), short sharp hill around 19(?) as you go through Canary Warf area but just put the head down and you'll be through that in seconds and into the midst of another wall of sound of potential eardrum bursting levels. Only 10km to go then and some sightseeing to keep you motivated if need be.

The only quiet bit of the course is the tunnel at 23 miles under some office buildings. That point is where you make sure there is no dribble on your face and dig in for the last parkrun to go and loads of photographers taking official pictures and smile for the cameras as you cross the line.

robinph wrote: »
    The first 5km is fast, with a big downhill at 3 miles in. If you have enough space to run at that point be careful to not get carried away. Ignore the mayhem of the first water station, stick to the middle of the road and away from people trying to trip you up. There is water basically every mile from three miles in, and if you are that desperate for a swig then just put your hand out and someone will pass you a bottle and save you the risk of getting tripped at the tables.

After that it is pretty much flat all the way, slight incline at Tower Bridge (but you'll not notice due to the wall of sound that you are running through), short sharp hill around 19(?) as you go through Canary Warf area but just put the head down and you'll be through that in seconds and into the midst of another wall of sound of potential eardrum bursting levels. Only 10km to go then and some sightseeing to keep you motivated if need be.

The only quiet bit of the course is the tunnel at 23 miles under some office buildings. That point is where you make sure there is no dribble on your face and dig in for the last parkrun to go and loads of photographers taking official pictures and smile for the cameras as you cross the line.

Wow. It sounds deadly actually. Can't wait to run a 5 k pb..blow up...be pipped at the finish line photo by a someone in full fancy dress.

Thanks for that

I'm expecting to finish in around 5 hours, so will see lots of fancy dress nutters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm expecting to finish in around 5 hours, so will see lots of fancy dress nutters!

I came in at just over 3.30 last year and only just pipped the lobster on the line !!!!!

I came in at just over 3.30 last year and only just pipped the lobster on the line !!!!!

3.30 in that heat. The lobster was well cooked

Last year was ridiculous, was in watching and it was really warm even at that. It had been 30c the Thursday before the marathon! Hopefully none of that nonsense this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

robinph wrote: »

Coming out of that tunnel was the most amazing "What The f...!" moment for me. You can actually feel the cheering as you exit the tunnel.

• Advertisement

:( So my London journey for this year comes to an end. I've just cancelled my ibis London Earls Court 3 nights accommodation as I was harbouring foolish ideas :eek: of doing the marathon event though I had told myself it was a foolish idea especially when I haven't run more that 8 miles in over 14 mths and currently on a return again, safest thing was just to cancel...

I ran London in 2013 so at least it was done once but just not to be again at the moment as I deferred last year and cannot defer again so will let this balloon off into the sunset and concentrate on getting pain free and consistent running going again!!

good luck to all who are doing it. tis a great day out:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I did London Last year. The worse part for me was running towards Big Ben, it felt like forever to get there from when you first see it !!

But then its one mile to the finish from that point. You go around the corner at Buckingham palace hoping the finish line is not far away and its not thankfully. The water bottles and showers helped with the heat. I cant imagine doing a hot run like that with paper cup hydration type stations.

Get the free tickets for the London Pride ale in the expo, they give them out like confetti. I had a few with my feet cooling in Trafalgar square pond last year after the race it was brilliant. Lots of runners there enjoying the buzz.

Last year was a special case heat wise, we were on the beach in Southend in 27c on the Friday of marathon weekend! I will honestly cry if we get a repeat of that.

16 miles this Sunday with the club ladies. Bring it on!

Just got my registration email through. You have to click few a few things and then it is meant to email you a QR code that you need to have access to at the expo where they will give you your number.

You may also get selected for one of their trials of a bottle belt, I think you just have to count how much water you actually consume on the way round for them, or getting a dry robe thing but no option of putting a bag on the baggage lorry. They gave me the bottle belt option, but I said no to that idea as I've got enough stuff to carry on the way round as it is.

...and the Final Instructions PDF link has just gone live:

https://lmeldigitalcontent.blob.core.windows.net/$web/VMLM/2019/WebSite/VMLM_Final_Instructions%202019.pdf

Edit: Not seeing any significant changes to anything from previous years, other than they have detailed the baggage lorry departure times for each start zone and the Red Fast Good For Age section is now called Yellow instead. Exactly the same place as before though.

Edit 2: Yay, my deferred entry kept me in the "yellow" start and I didn't get bumped to the Green.

Edit 3: They have completely moved around the finish area Meet and Greet zones letters and have some of them along Whitehall (outside Downing Street), so worth checking that out beforehand if meeting someone and not just running on autopilot as you finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Anywhere I can get the train times to Blackheath Station on race morning? Normally they were in the final instructions previous years but don't see them this time.

Clicked through the links for registration about an hour ago but still waiting on email with QR code to print.

Update: QR Code email just came through now :)

The train times tend to be a bit random anyway so could be why they didn't bother printing them. Just turn up at the station and get on the next one is all I normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

National rail journey planner??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

I'm super excited to be in London in 2.5 weeks to watch the London marathon.

I was hoping to get a glimpse of the elites (pathetic maybe, but I really want to see Kipchoge and Farah in the flesh) and I also have some friends doing it too and they have asked me to be 'close to the finish'

I'm thinking around the 22nd mile might be the time they need me most. Is that a good spot to view? Just before Tower Bridge. Hoping to hop on the Tower Hill line and make my way to Charring Cross as it seems closest to finish if I've read the maps right.

Are there any parts of the course that are likely to be not so busy, therefore I might have a chance at seeing the elites up close? Saw elites at DCM just outside the PP and it was great - could actually see the beads of sweat on their heads! I was thinking somewhere before half way.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help you can give me and best of luck to those running it as you probably complete your last long run this weekend or next.

• Advertisement

@bananaleaf I cheered on a friend 2 years ago .

The course kinda loops so I was on tower bridge around mile 12 then went for lunch close by and could cheer him on again at mile 23. Just by walking.

Advertisement