Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

Rome is a good one

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I loved Barcelona when I did it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

robinph wrote: »
    You do need a UK address for the GFA entry. If you are 5 minutes or more within your qualifying time though you should be OK with getting a place, remember though that it is your age when you ran the time that will count for what category you are in. Not the age on London Marathon day in 2019.

5 mins within? Do you mean 5 mins faster than the announced GFA?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Murph_D wrote: »

5 mins within? Do you mean 5 mins faster than the announced GFA?
    Yes, that is what London Marathon were quoted as on Twitter I think saying they thought being 5 minutes quicker would be safe. I think it won't even be that much of a cushion needed.

Hoping that the Marathon Investigation guy will be able to work some magic on the numbers when issued to figure out what the qualification times actually were. Although the quantity of GFA runners might not make the work worth doing compared to Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Or Valencia slightly earlier in December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Was in Kraków at weekend and it’s a great city. Seen that had their marathon on same day as London and had about 5,000 entries.

Anyone in these parts ever do it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So there were 414168 ballot entries for about 20000 places. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

robinph wrote: »
    So there were 414168 ballot entries for about 20000 places. Good luck.

That's a 21:1 shot, (10:1 for some) not 2nd odds when you think of it like that. What's the break down of British to international entries out of curiosity?

The numbers of UK entries was 386000 ish I think.

Well I've got my 2019 place confirmed and paid for now, if you deferred your entry then check your email boxes.

Now this weekend I've to run my backup marathon and try to secure myself a time for 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

Hey folks,

A few questions if you don't mind...

1) Do you know what qualifies as a valid utility bill for UK GFA entry? Do you have to provide proof of this when applying in August or just at package pick up on the weekend of the race?

2) I've heard a few folk mention deferred entry. If I get into 2019 but chose to run a different race could I out London off until 2020?

Just all hope at this stage. 30s under GFA so not confident that'll do it. Typical they change the standards the year I make them. Cheers, HC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hey folks,

A few questions if you don't mind...

1) Do you know what qualifies as a valid utility bill for UK GFA entry? Do you have to provide proof of this when applying in August or just at package pick up on the weekend of the race?

2) I've heard a few folk mention deferred entry. If I get into 2019 but chose to run a different race could I out London off until 2020?

Just all hope at this stage. 30s under GFA so not confident that'll do it. Typical they change the standards the year I make them. Cheers, HC

They will look for proof when you apply. I used a council tax bill but a leccy or water bill will also do, I cant imagine they will check up on you. When and if you are accepted they will post an acceptance magazine and letter to you, dont worry about the mag, its just full of adverts for charities looking for runners. The final instructions and your race number will be emailed to you. It's probably best to use a gmail address and give them a UK phone number so the entry looks normal for a UK resident. No problem about having an Irish passport, you can be Irish and be a UK resident!

They will look for proof when you apply. I used a council tax bill but a leccy or water bill will also do, I cant imagine they will check up on you. When and if you are accepted they will post an acceptance magazine and letter to you, dont worry about the mag, its just full of adverts for charities looking for runners. The final instructions and your race number will be emailed to you. It's probably best to use a gmail address and give them a UK phone number so the entry looks normal for a UK resident. No problem about having an Irish passport, you can be Irish and be a UK resident!

Brilliant, cheers. Is that a hard copy or off when you apply? I assume a pdf if it's an online application?

Regarding the deferred entry, those rules will be changing slightly for GFA between 2019 and 2020.

For example if your qualification standard for 2019 is sub 3, but to get a place you need to run 2:55 which you manage for 2019. Then you defer to 2020 you will now need to re run a qualifying time to regain your place, but you would only need to run the sub 3 and not the potential faster time that would be needed for other GFA runners in that age group.

Paid for my deferred entry today. *cracks knuckles*

Brilliant, cheers. Is that a hard copy or off when you apply? I assume a pdf if it's an online application?

Yep all done online, scan and attach all documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Paid for my deferred entry today. *cracks knuckles*

I can't get into my account using the link in the email received for deferred entries. It keeps saying invalid account even though its letting me change my password....will try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Younganne wrote: »
    I can't get into my account using the link in the email received for deferred entries. It keeps saying invalid account even though its letting me change my password....will try again tomorrow

After 3 days of trying I got sorted. Now just to get back running and start building up again.
    5m on grass last night for only the second time this year at that distance. Its going to be a long way back!!!!:eek::eek:

^ Welcome to my world... 2 stone overweight, chasing a 4 month old and a 2 year old and broke a bone in my toe 4 weeks ago. If I can get to the stage of having a decent run in April it will be an absolute miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Good for age entry opened today. You have until 10th August to register. They will let you know if you get a place before 13th August. As well as reducing the qualifying times for next year you are not guaranteed an entry if you meet the qualifying time. Will depend on numbers applying for GFA.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

• Advertisement

I'm glad I don't have to worry about my place for 2019 as I deferred, but very very interested to know how fast I need to run next April to secure a place for 2020. I've currently got a time 6 minutes inside if I had needed to apply for 2019, but my time that would currently count for 2020 is only 3 minutes inside which I think would be cutting it a bit fine.

If I can run the same time next April though as my current time I'd gain an extra 5 minutes inside the qualification band just by then being a year older. Adds a bit of jeopardy to the marathon running which is kind of "fun", as in next April do I bank a time or risk the 3 minutes being enough for 2020. Possibly getting a bit carried away with the planning two years in advance admittedly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

That was quick. GFA entry verified but not confirmed if I got a place yet. Have a 7 minute buffer on the qualifying time so hopefully I get the confirmation email on 15th Aug.

Here's the reply.
    "We are pleased to advise that your application for a 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry has been verified, and you will be entered into the selection process. You will be notified on the outcome on Wednesday 15 August. If you have not received an email with your outcome by Thursday 16 August, please contact our Helpdesk team on 0207 902 0200. Please be aware that it is each runner’s responsibility to make contact if they have not heard from us."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Application for London Marathon has gone in, I am hoping I hear back but I will have to raise money for Charity if accepted

GFA entry for verified but not holding out much hope. I only have a 34 second buffer. Worth a stab anyway. I'll let you all know how I get on for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Entry in with seconds to spare on Friday and then a follow up email yesterday with the bank statement I couldn’t find on Friday but got email yesterday to say information verified. Have 15 minute buffer, so should be good and have 4/5 others from Club making trip it seems.

Had no intentions a few weeks back but once a few started talking about it, seed was planted!

We should find out tomorrow what the cut-offs were.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

The GFA is only for people with British address?? Correct

noelearly wrote: »

Yes. :cool:

noelearly wrote: »

Yes and can provide evidence of in the form of a utility bill or recent online purchase invoice.

• Advertisement

I've not seen any GFA rejections posted on TwitterBook yet, but looks like someone with a 2:57:26 time has got in with a sub3 time required for their age group.

Advertisement