Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Tesla Model S (found post 168 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

copeyhagen wrote: »
    pulled the sim card straqight out to remove any connectivity.
    used a GPS blocker to block the signal
    Rob

Ah man that's bloody awful - and you only have it a couple of months I think. First one I've heard of in Ireland being taken. The SIM Card is buried I understand deep in the dash - could they just have disabled Data Sharing on the screen ? If so, then surely Tesla must be able to ping it in some way ? Mind you, I'm sure you've covered all bases at this stage. Will certainly keep an eye out for it on on my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

[

Is there any reason why you can't read the thread?

Ha wow. Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

In fairness though i did miss that it was already covered. My question then would be why do they not exist in Ireland but that would be for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Curious do Reported Stolen Plates pop up on Garda NPRS systems, like out of date Road tax? If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Whilst not trying to sidetrack the thread, there is a Leaf owner in my estate with a very small aerial on top of the car. Is this a jammer of some sort possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

bk wrote: »
    I disagree. What if you activate PIN to drive? A fella standing beside your bed, with a knife to your throat, asking for your PIN?

Of course if you are going there, that can happen to anyone, break in and make the victim give you their credit/debit cards and PIN. Probably get more money that way then a scrapped Tesla.

But as others have said, that is a vastly more serious and dangerous crime, with higher risks, vastly more Garda attention and much longer jail time if caught.

Of course, I'd assume anyone who can afford a Tesla, also has a decent Home Security system, ideally monitored and actually used when home. Someone trying to break in should be setting off your home alarm system and you calling the Gardai. No guarantees of course, but most won't stick around with a blaring alarm and screaming family.

There are also other steps a person can take to make it more difficult to physically break in, via better doors, windows, locks, etc. if you are really worried about that.

Agreed, if you house is secure the bugglers have to trip your alarm and then upscale their crimes to assault. These high tech crims know not to bring that sort of heat on themselves, their entire mode of operation is easy risk free crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Just stuck on Pin to Drive there on my M3P. Also living in North County Dublin, not going to take any chances if they’re in the area.

Sticking the keys in an old biscuit/sweet tin near the front door is much better approach if you ask me. With PIN-to-drive they'll already be in your car before they realise they cannot drive it, why let them get that far? With the keys in a tin when they try their signal booster/repeater they'll realise quickly it isn't working and just move on to the next car. If they do decide to break into the house because they really want the car, they'll find the keys at the door instead of coming looking for them or asking nicely for the PIN.

Cheap fix and having done it the last few months, it's actually dead handy to always know where the keys for the cars are, particularly the wife's which otherwise would be buried in a handbag or coat somewhere :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Whilst not trying to sidetrack the thread, there is a Leaf owner in my estate with a very small aerial on top of the car. Is this a jammer of some sort possibly?

Unlikely, probably just to boost the radio or phone.

Jammers usually involve half a dozen aerials on the device and are usually portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Zenith74 wrote: »
    it's actually dead handy to always know where the keys for the cars are, particularly the wife's which otherwise would be buried in a handbag or coat somewhere :D

How can having a box in the hall guarantee that the wife's keys will be kept in there? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

unkel wrote: »
    How can having a box in the hall guarantee that the wife's keys will be kept in there? :p

My OHs keys will defo be there... there’s less than 1% chance that my keys are in the box. I have forgotten them in the car a couple of time!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LeBash wrote: »
    High end cars are a big target. If someone robs a bank they might get 20-30k and if they get caught its 10-12 years.

Stealing any high end car can net them similar money but they will perhaps get 6 months regardless of entering the house or not. Plus it's easier to get away with and repeat.

Not a Tesla, since it needs to be parted out as otherwise it would be deactivated. The folks actually doing the stealing are only getting a few low k for this at best.

Breaking into a house adds 'breaking and entry" to the charges and potentially assault and battery.

Aggravated Burglary and robbery (theft with violence) will get you 6 to 15 years here in Ireland: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/appeal-judges-set-down-sentencing-guidelines-for-burglary-and-robbery-1.3479375

While I've seen people get just 5 years for operating ATM skimming operations that netted tens of thousands here in Ireland.

The point is, these people want quick, easy and low risk. Most people with high end cars, also have decent home security systems and CCTV, etc. Most don't want to mess with that. These sort of cars are attractive targets because on the one hand they are expensive, but on the other hand the keyless entry systems are so easy to overcome with very little risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm sorry to hear OP.

I have activated pin to drive (as much as a pain in the a55, it it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

A bit of a pain but is a steering wheel lock be a good deterrent these days for any would be car thief's?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A bit of a pain but is a steering wheel lock be a good deterrent these days for any would be car thief's?

Only one without access to a hacksaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If they really want it, then no. For the casual thief, it may be enough of a deterrent.

EDIT: endacl beat me to it!

503447.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have had an old iphone hard wired and hidden in all my cars for the last 5 years, they are part of a family phone contract and does not add that much cost. I originally put them in there so I could find my car in airport carparks (first world problem i know) but it did help recover one of my old cars that was stolen in Dublin and transported to the north.

I assume this new technology of GPS blockers will kill that solution or can I track using sim triangulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

krissovo wrote: »
    I have had an old iphone hard wired and hidden in all my cars for the last 5 years, they are part of a family phone contract and does not add that much cost. I originally put them in there so I could find my car in airport carparks (first world problem i know) but it did help recover one of my old cars that was stolen in Dublin and transported to the north.

I assume this new technology of GPS blockers will kill that solution or can I track using sim triangulation?

One of these : https://m-uk.gearbest.com/personal-protective-equipment/pp_639278.html

3 euro a month with a V Sim from Vodafone. Would they keep GSM blocker in after removing the Tesla one ?

krissovo wrote: »

Jammers can block both the GSM and GPS signal. Actually GSM blocking is more common. So no, if someone is to use these, then you won't hear anything from the phone.

Having said that continue to do what you are doing. Jammers aren't that common, so still worth doing.

BTW, of course using jamming devices like this is illegal in Ireland. Just in case anyone was thinking of playing with this sort of tech.

ted1 wrote: »
    3 euro a month with a V Sim from Vodafone. Would they keep GSM blocker in after removing the Tesla one ?

Perhaps not, good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You'd think a car like the tesla or anything with so many smart features could distinguish between a 0 signal in a valley/mountain/wherever and 100 signal but 0 connection due to to the jammer bombarding the spectrum and just not start or set the alarm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

Varik wrote: »
    You'd think a car like the tesla or anything with so many smart features could distinguish between a 0 signal in a valley/mountain/wherever and 100 signal but 0 connection due to to the jammer bombarding the spectrum and just not start or set the alarm off.

Firstly they can lift/tow the car old school, secondly they can rip out the GPS and phone based equipment, they could put foil over the GPS antenna, how is it to know with no location if it is in a tunnel or underground car park?

As for non manufacturer installed tracking, beware they may disconnect the 12v battery within minutes and put it on a tow truck or hidden in the back of a rigid lorry. Most half decent trackers need a sim card and typically need to be topped up at least every 6 months. A jammer will block these while jammer is on and near. There is cases of cars ringing home from Africa but from a lawless area. There are other really expensive trackers that use non sim card systems but these are normally reserved for high value targets such as supercars and often targeted company alarms such as white goods electrical shops.

Some of these groups have been arrested and prosecuted, but while there is quick money to be made they will find a way.

There is talk that the model 3 is less vulnerable to the signal relay attack but I would like to see that proven before I believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is the biscuit tin method good then? I was looking at faraday cage type boxes (rather that than a pouch) for when I get my next car, but if a tin will do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

ted1 wrote: »
    One of these : https://m-uk.gearbest.com/personal-protective-equipment/pp_639278.html

Just beware much of the Chinese stuff with no reviews are just rubbish. You need a way to display and activate the location, many of these are SMS and have no gps and just send you the ID not location of the cell tower they hear. Ideally they have a battery themselves and connect to 12v battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is the biscuit tin method good then? I was looking at faraday cage type boxes (rather that than a pouch) for when I get my next car, but if a tin will do...

The tin is grand and you get to eat the biscuits.win win

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

zg3409 wrote: »
    There are other really expensive trackers that use non sim card systems but these are normally reserved for high value targets such as supercars

Sigfox doesn’t use Sim and is low cost

There’s a whole host of them available

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Last year my aunt had her car nicked from Malahide too, outside her front door also, it was just a focus and a couple of years old but she was informed by the Gardai that it was 90% certain to be a criminal gang operating from Darndale who’d be stealing cars in North County Dublin to order. The car was recovered but her confidence was knocked by it (she’s 83) and she is selling and giving up driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Related - I saw someone mention on a FB conversation recently that disconnecting and reconnecting the 12v battery would disable pin-to-drive. Bit worrying if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

peposhi wrote: »
    My OHs keys will defo be there... there’s less than 1% chance that my keys are in the box. I have forgotten them in the car a couple of time!!!

Are you the wife or the husband? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Nuphor wrote: »
    Related - I saw someone mention on a FB conversation recently that disconnecting and reconnecting the 12v battery would disable pin-to-drive. Bit worrying if true.

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about that OP but at least it's just a car and nothing happened you or your family.

They could burn my car for all I care and I wouldn't care what car it was as long as my family is safe.

As others have said, pin or not, if they want the car that badly you risk them breaking into the house and you don't want that.

Advertisement