Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ha ha ha ha!!! The first post - they received a 5 year out of date box of chocolates! Love it :pac:

We received mostly (extremely extremely generous) cash gifts but got a few presents which we loved and which have come in very useful). However, the one and only gift that sticks out is a very obvious re-gift (they had gotten married in the 6 months prior to us and this gift would not be of the taste of a young person AT ALL). It just gathered dust until we just donated it to a charity shop. I did think it was a bit of bad form considering we had given them a generous cash gift for their wedding.

Personally, I would never re-gift something. If it's something that I personally think is hideous I wouldn't want to re-gift it for fear that the couple would then think I went out and bought it myself and had hideous taste!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Toots wrote: »
    Usual I've heard is 20 mins to half an hour. I think if you're having it at a venue ie hotel, you can stretch it out a bit longer, but if it's in the registry office itself, they're strict with times because there's other appointments.
    Why would you want to stretch it longer?!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why would you want to stretch it longer?!

My thoughts exactly - after a lifetime of going to people's 90 minute full nuptial masses with some priest that sounds like the boring priest from Fr Ted, I would have thought guests would be thankful for shorter civil/humanist/spiritualist ceremonies!

Anyone have a wedding planner app they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah don't be so harsh, maybe she just wants like ten mins or 15 mins extra..After all you are only doing it once so make the most of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Just paid my deposit on my wedding dress! Really hyper since with excitement!

Yeahhhh for you Pampootie!!! If I could add lots of dancing things I would but heres a smiley instead :) !! Must be great to get it sorted out..I hope it makes you feel like a princess or in Cork a Lasher

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ok, I've got to ask....has anyone seen 50 shades yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm going to see it tomorrow! I haven't read the books but looking forward to it as my mate is mad to c it and has read all the book. Should be a bit of craic. Might get a few tips.... ;).... Lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Haven't read the 50 Shades books but this blog reviews the books over 12 or so blog posts and it's very funny. I actually LOL'd on a few occasions :D Worth a read for a giggle (she HATES it!)

http://redlemonade.blogspot.ie/2012/06/fifty-shades-of-tedious-****ery-vol-1.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Sorry link doesn't work properly. The first book reviews start about 5 pages back from the home page. She does the second book more recently

OK I'll try again!

http://redlemonade.blogspot.ie/search?updated-max=2012-09-07T10:18:00%2B01:00&max-results=12&start=74&by-date=false&m=1

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I caved and watched it online the night before last. I think a lot of the dirty bits were censored out, because the version I watched had chinese subtitles (I'm assuming it was Chinese) and I reckon the censorship laws might be a bit tighter there. Honestly, it wasn't very good, but it was excellent compared to the books! Although, the books are dreadful, so that's not being too complimentary about the film, but I think the writer/director/etc did a good job with the basically crap material they had to work with. They left out a lot of the rubbish that was in the book.

Dakota Johnson was surprisingly good. Jamie Dornan was very enjoyable to look at, but his American accent was.....amusing. :D

I was looking at Jamie on the tv the last night. I don't think he's great tbh. They could've chosen someone a bit more manly. But then my friend loves him! I wouldn't really rate him at all. I like a bit more muscle :)

I have to say, I prefer Jamie with the beard. He looks about 12 without it.

I have to say, I prefer Jamie with the beard. He looks about 12 without it.

Hahaha yea totally agree!! Maybe I will start liking him after I've seen the film tonight tho.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Neyite wrote: »
    We got a couple of dodgy ornaments as gifts for Christmas or as holiday gifts over the years. We occasionally display them teetering on the edge of the coffee table while out toddler tears around the place. We feel that giving one Malterser bunny for each completed breakage beyond repair is sufficient punishment for him breaking our precious ornaments. I know, I know, we are harsh parents.

Definitely :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I thought when the film came out that theyd make one film for the three books. A film for each book is certainly stretching it!
    I liked Jamie Dornan in the fall but havent seen fifty shades.

It is so bad.. Maybe it is one for a lazy Sunday when there is nothing else to do and that's given it credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I just can't bring myself to shell out even the smallest amount of cash for anything to do with 50 Shades, be it book or film. I don't even have the urge to pirate it. It's not worth it if Jamie doesn't have his beard!

pampootie - that's lovely about your dress, it must be so exciting :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I read that the director is not doing the next two films out of the trilogy because she had such an awful time with the book author and they clashed on set often.

And to see the two actors in interviews about the film looked like a couple at marriage counselling!

• Advertisement

Esterhase wrote: »
    I just can't bring myself to shell out even the smallest amount of cash for anything to do with 50 Shades, be it book or film. I don't even have the urge to pirate it. It's not worth it if Jamie doesn't have his beard!

pampootie - that's lovely about your dress, it must be so exciting :)

A friend of mine actually gave me the board game and it seems to be fun. Id say it is a good one for a girly night

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

My thoughts exactly - after a lifetime of going to people's 90 minute full nuptial masses with some priest that sounds like the boring priest from Fr Ted, I would have thought guests would be thankful for shorter civil/humanist/spiritualist ceremonies!

At my cousin's wedding, the priest went on and on, kind of rambling. At one point he even said, "Now, where was I?"

Neyite wrote: »
    I read that the director is not doing the next two films out of the trilogy because she had such an awful time with the book author and they clashed on set often.

And to see the two actors in interviews about the film looked like a couple at marriage counselling!

I heard that too. Seemingly EL James didn't exactly cover herself in glory, and at one point there was a big row over what the last word of the film was going to be. Apparently EL wanted one thing, and the director/producers/studio wanted another, so EL threatened to tell all her fans to boycott the movie unless she got her way!!

Rumor also has it that Jamie Dornan may not be returning for the sequel (if there is one) because his wife didn't like seeing him ploughing Anastasia on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It doesn't surprise me that EL James started out writing Twilight fanfic.

I heard that too. Seemingly EL James didn't exactly cover herself in glory, and at one point there was a big row over what the last word of the film was going to be. Apparently EL wanted one thing, and the director/producers/studio wanted another, so EL threatened to tell all her fans to boycott the movie unless she got her way!!

Rumor also has it that Jamie Dornan may not be returning for the sequel (if there is one) because his wife didn't like seeing him ploughing Anastasia on the big screen.

Jaysus... What a load of tripe and terrible acting that was! On a positive note, it was slightly better than I predicted (I had no high hopes). And Jamie was at some points in the film quite striking. Other points in the film I just thought his face looked kinda squishy. Still not my type tho. Lol. Surprisingly... I actually want to kinda know what happens next (minus all the lip biting and sighing).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie didn't want to do it himself. He seems really uncomfortable about it in any interview that I've seen. Perhaps he regrets the role a little.

lazygal wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me that EL James started out writing Twilight fanfic.

What's quite disturbing about this is the fact that 50 shades was originally Twilight fanfic, that was very slightly changed before it was published as 50 shades. So originally the book was written about Bella and Edward. Ok so Edward is 100 odd years old, but Bella is 18! That's a bit creepy!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie didn't want to do it himself. He seems really uncomfortable about it in any interview that I've seen. Perhaps he regrets the role a little.

Yeah he certainly doesn't seem to enjoy talking about it. It's one of those roles that could sort of make or break your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Milly33 wrote: »
    A friend of mine actually gave me the board game and it seems to be fun. Id say it is a good one for a girly night

There's.... there's a board game? :eek:
    Sounds like the kind of game that might pop up at some hen parties this year!

yeah I think they had it in sale in Porters and Easons places like that.. I would think so too, would say it would be quite a fun games to play with a group of girls.. nothing major needed to play it is more like truth or dare

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I did hear that it was initially his wife that didn't want him to do the other two movies but that's since been debunked. I think he is smart enough to realise that while it might claw in box office takings, it might be a career setback for someone trying to establish themselves in Hollywood.

Advertisement