Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

This isn't a big concern for me right now seeing as I'm not even engaged but is the apostille stamp for the birth cert even if you're an Irish citizen? That's going to cause me fun in the future!

Irish citizen but born abroad? You will need the Apostille Stamp I'm afraid. Even if you were born in the North you'd need the Stamp. Unless you were born in Denmark, Italy, France, Belgium or Latvia, they don't issue Apostilles.

Outside of Europe there are a few other countries that don't issue Apostille Stamps but the majority of countries do. I found a pretty extensive list here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Irish citizen but born abroad? You will need the Apostille Stamp I'm afraid. Even if you were born in the North you'd need the Stamp. Unless you were born in Denmark, Italy, France, Belgium or Latvia, they don't issue Apostilles.

Outside of Europe there are a few other countries that don't issue Apostille Stamps but the majority of countries do. I found a pretty extensive list here.

That doesn't seem to have my country on it! Maybe I should start looking into sorting it out now just so I can have it ready when I need it :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I just want to add to this excellent list. You will both need your passports, they won't accept drivers licences. My husband and I had to both get passports as we didn't have them and they wouldn't accept our drivers licence.

Must be different depending on what county your in.
    We used our drivers license when registering our intent to marry.

That doesn't seem to have my country on it! Maybe I should start looking into sorting it out now just so I can have it ready when I need it :-D

You might need a letter from the relevant embassy, I don't know what someone would do if they were born in a former country like Czechoslovakia or East Germany!
    teggers5 wrote: »

Okay, I guess not every county needs passports. I rang ahead to check because we didn't have them. So I can confidently report that Laois and Offaly require them. Or did last year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Didn't need a stamp. Just brought my passport, birth cert (AFAIK only the long version of a UK birth cert is acceptable here), utility bill for my London addy, and off we went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

teggers5 wrote: »

We went in on thursday. All she required was passport and birth cert. She didnt even look for utility bill " because you have the passport" that said i would still bring it.

So its definitely worth a call to the local registrar if you need to confirm anything. Seems to be up to each individual one exactly what they'll accept.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We were in just before Christmas in Limerick. We had our passports, birth certs (long form only accepted - when we gave the postal notification my OH sent in a copy of the short form of his and they asked him to bring in the longform), we posted the printed copy of our council tax bill to cover both of us for proof of address (because it gives both of our names and our address) but brought separate ones on the day.

So its definitely worth a call to the local registrar if you need to confirm anything. Seems to be up to each individual one exactly what they'll accept.

Exactly, no harm in ringing ahead to see what they'll need on the day. :)

Exactly, no harm in ringing ahead to see what they'll need on the day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

It's very easy to organise through the embassy where you were born. Well it was for me anyway... (New Zealand). Quite straight forward and doesn't take too long. will just cost you a smallish sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Hey all! Just wondering if people can give me a ballpark figure of what I can expect to spend on alterations for a wedding dress? Nothing too difficult, taken in a bit and lowering the back. I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question! I think I found my dress yesterday but it's slightly more expensive than I planned so I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at pricewise overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

pampootie wrote: »
    Hey all! Just wondering if people can give me a ballpark figure of what I can expect to spend on alterations for a wedding dress? Nothing too difficult, taken in a bit and lowering the back. I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question! I think I found my dress yesterday but it's slightly more expensive than I planned so I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at pricewise overall!

300-350 was the guideline I was given

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I paid 150 for length, straps, bust and waist all taken in and shortened. that was for a good few layers of silk too on the length. had it done in gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

I paid 280 to alter my gown and a BM dress in Tipp.
    Quite a lot involved in taking up my dress as it was lace, I also altered the neckline.
    BM had length and chest area altered.
    Amazing lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My husband wasn't born in Ireland but has Irish citizenship and an Irish passport. His birth certificate from his country of birth was accepted with no issue or need for an appostille stamp and the same for siblings of his. When was this a requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Great, up to 300ish is fairly manageable. Think I might take the plunge and pay the deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

You can always shop around for alterations too, you don't have to get them done through the shop.
    I only did because I live away from home.

Up at home, a lady who my mam knows altered another of the BMs dresses and offered to steam all three the day before the wedding.
    The 3rd BM got her dress altered in a very well known franchise, they made an absolute balls of it. It had to have a panel added in the back and it ended up looking like lady parts (no lie).
    So when I brought all the dresses to lady at home to steam, she was horrified and said she would fix it (I wasn't even asking her to do that).
    So we went to collect them and she only wanted €25!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

lazygal wrote: »
    My husband wasn't born in Ireland but has Irish citizenship and an Irish passport. His birth certificate from his country of birth was accepted with no issue or need for an appostille stamp and the same for siblings of his. When was this a requirement?

Got married in 2012 and had to have apostille stamp on birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Gatica wrote: »

I got married the year before. Hubs birth cert is a credit card style one so you wouldn't be able to put a stamp of any sort on it. Must have been a change since.

• Advertisement

I doubt they care what format the cert is in, mine's a passport-like document and now has this hideous piece of paper glued to the back of it, which needs to be folded in to the document size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Gatica wrote: »

Same as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

May already have been answered but: how long is the HSE ceremony? Can you have music and readings etc?

yes, you can stretch it out with music and readings, as long as it's NOT religious.
    I don't know what the upper limit of a civil ceremony is, but people have mentioned having 20min and half hour ceremonies.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Usual I've heard is 20 mins to half an hour. I think if you're having it at a venue ie hotel, you can stretch it out a bit longer, but if it's in the registry office itself, they're strict with times because there's other appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Toots wrote: »
    Usual I've heard is 20 mins to half an hour. I think if you're having it at a venue ie hotel, you can stretch it out a bit longer, but if it's in the registry office itself, they're strict with times because there's other appointments.

It will be in the venue itself and there will definitely be no religious readings or songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

We were told 20mins. Have you registered already they give you like a little plan out of what you as such have to say and where you can fill in the gaps.. I can scan and email you the one we have.

Our lady said 20mins and if it goes over and she has another booking were in trouble in a nice way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I actually love that "pass the awful gift on" idea!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We got a couple of dodgy ornaments as gifts for Christmas or as holiday gifts over the years. We occasionally display them teetering on the edge of the coffee table while out toddler tears around the place. We feel that giving one Malterser bunny for each completed breakage beyond repair is sufficient punishment for him breaking our precious ornaments. I know, I know, we are harsh parents.

Advertisement