Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    A buddy of my is selling 5 red lmx bulls from 320 to 350kgs....he is being offered €850 at home....I’m telling him it’s not a bad price given everything going on......what do you think? Thanks Mac

Back to prices:D. The average weight was 338kgs and he sold them for €850. Looking at prices online at local mart....he did ok. All done in 30mins he said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

There are 8 marts in Co Kerry. Gortnalea draws cattle from Limerick and Cork. Limerick has only 2, Kilmallock has 3 rings running most days, Abbeyfeale sale is over in a few hours. Cork has less marts than Kerry I think.

Results trump facilities in the mart business in my experience. It doesn't matter how modern a mart is if it hasn't got the reputation of ample willing buyer's then it's not going to get stock in great numbers.

Take Dowra for example, it's a dated cramped building on a poor site with zero scope for expansion and yet it's wedged wall to wall with stock each week. There not everyone's mart but they definitely make the most of what little they have to work with. Conversely Mohill mart is only a few miles up the road and has seen serious investment in recent years with top class facilities, the only thing it's missing or at least was up to recently is large entries of stock. There far from the only 2 examples throughout the country but it shows that unless you have a solid customer base you have nothing. Once you've established and maintain that everything else will fall into place with management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

Nobody is saying pair or group cattle that are not similar. But lads selling animal after animal as singles that are similar is ludicrous. With marts having to close as costs increase some sales continue late into the evening or night. It in sellers own interest that sales take less time. It not just suckler bred cattle, cull cows now are often taking 3+ hours to sell in some marts. At present the cost of selling a single is virtually the same as selling two or more togeather per head. If marts charged 20/head for first animal, 10 for second and 5 per animal after that it might encourage grouping.

I have seen bunches of heavy finished cattle of every age and breed and generally it dose not effect there prices

This is the point exactly, you don't pair different cattle, you pair the similar ones. Plenty of lads around here will only buy from doubles or groups. They like to have a comrade for what they buy and not be bringing 1 home on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

tanko wrote: »
    Am i reading this right, the busiest mart in Kerry only has one ring. That's a joke if true.
    Yep, and one of the busiest in the country I'd say when it comes to weanling sales. About 1,200 cattle went through the weanling sale last night and that was after having a dairy show and sale with a few hundred in it during the day yesterday. As Bass said above there are cattle from at least 3 counties being sold there and when it comes to weanlings its generally the best of them from Kerry and the surrounding counties that are there. Buyers from all over the country there as well and a huge amount of the weanlings head for North Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Base price wrote: »
    Competent drovers with proper drafting facilities reduces health and safety risks. IMO Carnaross mart Co. Meath which holds large sales is a good example of same.

I have no doubt just like Killmallock, but that all requires investment and access to competent drovers. Many marts are starved of investment and as they get larger it gets harder to source competent drovers. Last week I bought cattle at a mart online. I drove down to collect them. I got there as the sale was starting to end. Into office fast and paid for cattle and headed to loading area. all the pens were blocked with trucks and trailers reversed up to them. Not one of the 7-8 docks free. No sign of mart stock men around. I parked went in found own my cattle were in. Was in and out for next 30 minutes no sign of any drovers. Finally a lad loading a Jeep and trailer started to load up, I pulled in out in front of him and when he moved I reversed in.

I got my cattle and got them towards the loading area to find a mart drover with cattle in the pen behind my trailer. he wanted me to pull out to let who ever he was penning for in. There was absolutely. no sign of that person or there vehicle . It got to an impasse I was not moving and told him bring the mart manager down to the loading area if he liked. At that stage he turned his cattle out to let me load mine. In all that time there was only one other load of cattle put in a trailer.

Now why were a few buyers allowed to block the loading area and how come at the end of the sale there was nobody at the loading docks.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I have no doubt just like Killmallock, but that all requires investment and access to competent drovers. Many marts are starved of investment and as they get larger it gets harder to source competent drovers. Last week I bought cattle at a mart online. I drove down to collect them. I got there as the sale was starting to end. Into office fast and paid for cattle and headed to loading area. all the pens were blocked with trucks and trailers reversed up to them. Not one of the 7-8 docks free. No sign of mart stock men around. I parked went in found own my cattle were in. Was in and out for next 30 minutes no sign of any drovers. Finally a lad loading a Jeep and trailer started to load up, I pulled in out in front of him and when he moved I reversed in.

I got my cattle and got them towards the loading area to find a mart drover with cattle in the pen behind my trailer. he wanted me to pull out to let who ever he was penning for in. There was absolutely. no sign of that person or there vehicle . It got to an impasse I was not moving and told him bring the mart manager down to the loading area if he liked. At that stage he turned his cattle out to let me load mine. In all that time there was only one other load of cattle put in a trailer.

Now why were a few buyers allowed to block the loading area and how come at the end of the sale there was nobody at the loading docks.

It’s the same in most marts I go to. Lads park up in the loading bays and head in to pay for their cattle, round them up or go for a chat. It would drive a man mad if he wasn’t already that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Grueller wrote: »
    You have that wrong. Larger lots should be made cheaper. Singles are already dear enough. Looking for a higher charge is a Turkey voting for Christmas.

That's what I said sure larger lots should be cheaper and singles dearer

How viable is a mart if it needs serious investment & a much more modern, safer mart is an extra 10 mins down the road?
    What was that mart with one ring that was spoken about there earlier on, with the sale ending at 3am? That's only acting the prick, no mart should operate with only one ring these days.

Most marts in the country need serious investment because of unsafe practices and run down facilities...coupled with an older generation mainly who still think they're in there 20s..why do you think insurance is gone crazy for marts ?

richie123 wrote: »
    Most marts in the country need serious investment because of unsafe practices and run down facilities...coupled with an older generation mainly who still think they're in there 20s..why do you think insurance is gone crazy for marts ?

You've raised valid points but I still believe that's there's a monopoly at play the same as the motor insurance industry. Any excuse is used to raise the premium come renewal time. Yes there's definitely scope to decrease risk at mart level but there would want to be a reward for any improvement. Currently there's only upward movement of the premium each time and it's accepted that the quote will always be more than the previous year.

You've raised valid points but I still believe that's there's a monopoly at play the same as the motor insurance industry. Any excuse is used to raise the premium come renewal time. Yes there's definitely scope to decrease risk at mart level but there would want to be a reward for any improvement. Currently there's only upward movement of the premium each time and it's accepted that the quote will always be more than the previous year.

It in no insurance companies interest to close down or aggressively over price a sector. The number of insurers in the mart sector has reduced over the last 5years and those that do insure are rising premiums.

It is totally opposite in the general farm sector. 10years ago only FBD was really active in the sector. 7-8years ago Aviva and Liberty entered and competed with FBD. In the last 3-4years Zurich and AXA entered the sector and it has completely changed the costing within the sector. I am getting quote now that are below FBD costings of 10+years ago. The reason is quite simply that I duranes see the sector as profitable and have decided to compete for business in its

No point blaming insurance sector for not competing within the sector. It not just marts but all small activity based business are struggling with insurance costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Will ya stop fbd make no money on marts as claims outweigh premiums.

richie123 wrote: »
    Will ya stop fbd make no money on marts as claims outweigh premiums.

It's a wonder that they stay in the business if it's that poor of a return but it's not my area of expertise. If that's the outlook then it doesn't bode well for marts or insurance companies as I don't believe that premiums can continue to rise as has happened for all small businesses in recent years.

I've always been led to believe that the mart business was one of high turnover and low margins. The running costs of a mart are substantial and it's traditionally an industry with a large amount of credit and bad/non payers. That's not too say that change shouldn't or cannot occur in how business is carried out but there needs to be an element of fair play from all sides.

It's a wonder that they stay in the business if it's that poor of a return but it's not my area of expertise. If that's the outlook then it doesn't bode well for marts or insurance companies as I don't believe that premiums can continue to rise as has happened for all small businesses in recent years.

I've always been led to believe that the mart business was one of high turnover and low margins. The running costs of a mart are substantial and it's traditionally an industry with a large amount of credit and bad/non payers. That's not too say that change shouldn't or cannot occur in how business is carried out but there needs to be an element of fair play from all sides.

Part of the problem facing small businesses and marts is GDPR. Recordings of camera's have to be deleted unless there is a valid reason to tetain. After 3 months. Liability claims do not need to proceed for up to 5 years. Unless when an accidental happens (as simple as someone slipping on a walkway or falling off a bouncing castle) it is recorded and any action taken recorded it is virtually impossible to defend.

Often an injured party will not make a big deal of the incident. However afterwards they may attend a doctor or an A&E. The decision may deliberately not be taken for 4-5 months not to proceed with litigation and there is no record of the incident. Fir insurance companies it is often easier to proceed with a payout rather than defend the action

Supermacs had a similar problem historically and insurance companies refused to engage in defending actions. Supermacs took liability back within there own company and were vigorous in there defence. However GDPR is again rising it head in there situation. The other aspect is that in Irish courts awards for minor injuries can be substantial

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Years ago Carnaross Mart used to run a system where all the grouped cattle would be put through together after the first 100 lots, it was a good idea and hand too in that if you wanted 20 - 15 cattle after a few lots you had them & could head home save hanging around all day. But then lads that had singles after lot 100 started going mad as lads were landing at 1pm putting their cattle in groups and would have them sold by 3 / 4 pm were as a lad that had cattle in from 8 that morning might not be sold until 6 in the evening. So it was stopped eventually but it was good at encouraging lads to group stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'd always try and pair them up when selling if I could. Have often put up to 5 weanlings in together. Always felt they sold better in a bundle but they would be even enough. Each to their own though. Have weanling heifers going next week and there is 5 going in the 1 lot. They stay a lot more settled in the ring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bought a Bullock on Tuesday, lone soul in the ring.

Cracked basta45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

I tell you a better one.

Kk mart is one of the most modern in the country but the following applies:
    1. If your store cattle are being sold after 12 ish be prepared for a poor price as opposed to what you saw in the morning trade.
    2. Drovers are like the council men of years back if there was work in the bed they'd sleep on the floor.
    3. If you pay for cattle in the office be prepared to meet the most obnoxious person who could every be employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

GNWoodd wrote: »
    I don’t know about the buyer but the seller certainly notices !
    30 kgs @ €2 / kg for every animal you sell , wouldn’t be long running into big money

You misunderstood my point. If I'm buying a beast that I know is standing around all day I'll pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Danzy wrote: »
    Bought a Bullock on Tuesday, lone soul in the ring.

Cracked basta45.

Is this a comment on Donald Trump?

Bought 8 two weeks ago. Seller had 2 lots with 5 animals. 1 lot with 3 animals and one lone. Delighted to buy two of the groups. Was a a pain waiting as a few sellers before that had lots of singles.

All marts except Kanturk in Co Cork are part of Cork Marts Coop TMK. They've rationalised over the years, closed Millstreet and amalgamated Fermoy and Midelton at Corrin. Macroom mart was moved to a Saturday and that saved it, has 2 rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This sale should be on now (7pm 23 Oct 2020. Might be more interesting than Emmerdale. :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/sale-going-ahead-special-sale-of-maiden-heifers/26218746?campaign=3

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Good but of softening in weanling heifers , especially hex the last week.

More noticable In some marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

This sale should be on now (7pm 23 Oct 2020. Might be more interesting than Emmerdale. :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/sale-going-ahead-special-sale-of-maiden-heifers/26218746?campaign=3

No shortage of €€€€ for white bellies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

No shortage of €€€€ for white bellies!!

Is it online?

tanko wrote: »
    Is it online?

On Martbids.ie Elphin ring 1

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Just finished there. Auctioneer really earned his crust. No break at all.
    Average price about 1900 to 2000. For 18 month heifers, sellers wont complain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Quick q, sorry if this isn't the right place, for the movements for QA, is it the 4th owener or the 4th movement thats the cut-off? Some mart boards do Owners, some do Moves.

According to the BordBia website there's no residency limits in place. Has it been removed or did I miss something. Thanks

T0001 wrote: »
    Quick q, sorry if this isn't the right place, for the movements for QA, is it the 4th owener or the 4th movement thats the cut-off? Some mart boards do Owners, some do Moves.

According to the BordBia website there's no residency limits in place. Has it been removed or did I miss something. Thanks

It's four owners. No it's not been removed. Bord Via only really certify farmers processor's set the QA bonus conditions

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone else having difficulty logging onto Livestock Live. I've tried on the laptop and the phone and neither is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Base price wrote: »
    Anyone else having difficulty logging onto Livestock Live. I've tried on the laptop and the phone and neither is working.

Carrigallen has gone down for the last half hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Carrigallen has gone down for the last half hour or so.
    That is where I was trying to log onto. It looks like LSL is down which isn't good as I cannot log onto any of their marts.

Advertisement