Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I'd generally disagree on pairing cattle for sale unless they truly are similar.
    Anything less will put off good judges buying and be a dis service to the seller on the better one.

In fairness any pairs i see usually are well paired though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

richie123 wrote: »
    Absolutely...what is wrong with farmers that they won't batch up cattle ...marts should put there foot down and insist on a minimum of 2 Ina lot!

It's usually easier to batch dairy stock as they'd be more consistent as regards quality. Suckler stock would generally be a more mixed bag from different cow and bull types so it's harder to match them up. That's not to say it can't be done but you'll generally see more singles in marts in suckler strongholds as compared to dairy country. I've often seen men landing with suckler bred stock and no two would be the same weight or types so I don't know how you could reduce lots in such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'd generally disagree on pairing cattle for sale unless they truly are similar.
    Anything less will put off good judges buying and be a dis service to the seller on the better one.

Yea I wouldn’t just pair them for the sake of it, they would have to be similar cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

DBK1 wrote: »
    If the other lads around the ring were standing back to let him buy them cheap then they’d either stand back and let him buy the singles cheap as well or they’d all take turns and they’d all have 1 cheap so I don’t think having them grouped would make any difference to that.

Online bidding has put a stop to most of that sh**e now anyway.

A good chance a farmer standing in the mart will throw in a bid if there is a single animal under value if he ends up with it well in good but he probably would not chance a bigger lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw a weanling heifer and bull put through together in Gortatalea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

ruwithme wrote: »

Would agree with you, grouping cattle for the sake of it is pointless. In the Mart a 3 weeks ago and 1 farmer had 5 groups of 3 in it, obviously just numbered them as they were in the shoot. I actually bought 1 of the groups 2 AAx & 1 MOx, all from dairy cows, March 19 born, avg 480kgs, €810, weighed the best of the AAx on Saturday he was 630kgs, I would guess the MOx is feck all along with 400kgs and the other AA not much more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Danzy wrote: »
    Saw a weanling heifer and bull put through together in Gortatalea.

That's a rare one, would they be twin's I wonder as I often heard oul lad's saying it was unlucky to split them. I saw a bundle of bullocks lately where one was late 2017 born and another spring 2019. I'd find it hard to believe that those stock weren't better sold in singles.

Having said that I often wonder how tightly some watch the boards as I brought home a "weanling" for a neighbor Friday night that I suspected to have had a fair few birthdays. It was after 3am and I was in a rush home so I didn't delay in loading her and away out the road. He rang me the following day for a chat and I asked about who sold her and her age. Having located her card he discovered she's August 18 born, some lads would want a belt of a lump hammer to waken them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Would agree with you, grouping cattle for the sake of it is pointless. In the Mart a 3 weeks ago and 1 farmer had 5 groups of 3 in it, obviously just numbered them as they were in the shoot. I actually bought 1 of the groups 2 AAx & 1 MOx, all from dairy cows, March 19 born, avg 480kgs, €810, weighed the best of the AAx on Saturday he was 630kgs, I would guess the MOx is feck all along with 400kgs and the other AA not much more either.

Buyers are saying they find it difficult online to see the cattle in bunches properly too

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Your not grouping just for the sake of it your grouping to speed things up and keep the marts viable
    If a farmer can't batch a minimum of two which is no big ask ..he shouldn't bother with the sale...except in exceptional circumstances.

Also the bigger the lots the cheaper the charge per animal.. incentivise farmers to batch up bigger lots...it would speed things up no end
    Single lots should be made more expensive to sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Your not grouping just for the sake of it your grouping to speed things up and keep the marts viable
    If a farmer can't batch a minimum of two which is no big ask ..he shouldn't bother with the sale...except in exceptional circumstances.

Also the bigger the lots the cheaper the charge per animal.. incentivise farmers to batch up bigger lots...it would speed things up no end

Would you g'way out of that. A farmer is paying for a service from the mart via fees & if they want to sell in singles they have every right to do so.

Would you g'way out of that. A farmer is paying for a service from the mart via fees & if they want to sell in singles they have every right to do so.

I disagree.marts are barely scraping by financially and it's up to farmers to help in whatever way they can...what I suggested above is one of them.

I disagree.marts are barely scraping by financially and it's up to farmers to help in whatever way they can...what I suggested above is one of them.

Disagree all you like, farmer is paying for a service & should be allowed to sell as they like, not be forced into something they don't want to do.
    You don't get into a taxi & allow him to pick up two or three more people along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pairs are fine when they are a proper pair. But if there was one good and one average it would put a lot off bidding on them. And the seller knows this.

Sure why not :) your not making a great agrument with the taxi example :)
    Marts need to do something or were gonna see a lot more closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

What would you propose as a solution?

Here is a solution :
    Leave the lairages of the meat factories and the marts half empty for a few years .
    Let those that produce the animal command the respect that their commitment deserves .
    No other sector of society other than the fool of a farmer would put in the hours and commit the resources and take what passes for a fair market

Sure why not :) your not making a great agrument with the taxi example :)
    Marts need to do something or were gonna see a lot more closures.

Just my opinion, you're allowed have yours. Most marts around here sell 99% of cattle as singles, it's the norm. Forcing a farmer to pair up stock when s/he doesn't want to is only going to make them go to a different mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    To be honest any of the buyers in Ennis I find don't take any notice of weights.
    I don't anyway, cattle are different gravy up there to the rest of us :)

I don’t know about the buyer but the seller certainly notices !
    30 kgs @ €2 / kg for every animal you sell , wouldn’t be long running into big money

Just my opinion, you're allowed have yours. Most marts around here sell 99% of cattle as singles, it's the norm. Forcing a farmer to pair up stock when s/he doesn't want to is only going to make them go to a different mart.

Your not offering any solutions for struggling marts.
    Things need to change.
    A lot of marts need serious investment.
    Marts need to get safer or will become uninsurable..as was the case with mountrath mart.

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Here is a solution :
    Leave the lairages of the meat factories and the marts half empty for a few years .
    Let those that produce the animal command the respect that their commitment deserves .
    No other sector of society other than the fool of a farmer would put in the hours and commit the resources and take what passes for a fair market

That's very draconian but an option all the same. I'm not sure about it's implementation although it's been suggested for years. I've often thought that if only 10 fit cattle were slaughtered every week the processors would claim to only have market's for 8 of them and thus cut the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Things need to change.
    Marts need to get safer or will become uninsurable..as was the case with mountrath mart.
    That is a health and safety issue which mart managers/owners are legally responsible for implementing along with their insurance companies. I don't see how batching cattle will make much of a difference considering the same number of animals will be present on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

You have that wrong. Larger lots should be made cheaper. Singles are already dear enough. Looking for a higher charge is a Turkey voting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Robson99 wrote: »
    Pairs are fine when they are a proper pair. But if there was one good and one average it would put a lot off bidding on them. And the seller knows this.

Nobody is saying pair or group cattle that are not similar. But lads selling animal after animal as singles that are similar is ludicrous. With marts having to close as costs increase some sales continue late into the evening or night. It in sellers own interest that sales take less time. It not just suckler bred cattle, cull cows now are often taking 3+ hours to sell in some marts. At present the cost of selling a single is virtually the same as selling two or more togeather per head. If marts charged 20/head for first animal, 10 for second and 5 per animal after that it might encourage grouping.

I have seen bunches of heavy finished cattle of every age and breed and generally it dose not effect there prices

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

Barely scraping? Our closest mart owner has bought more property in this area than any other local.
    Our second closest is close to closing because the manager is useless.

Things need to change.

How viable is a mart if it needs serious investment & a much more modern, safer mart is an extra 10 mins down the road?
    What was that mart with one ring that was spoken about there earlier on, with the sale ending at 3am? That's only acting the prick, no mart should operate with only one ring these days.

Base price wrote: »
    That is a health and safety issue which mart managers/owners are legally responsible for implementing along with their insurance companies. I don't see how batching cattle will make much of a difference considering the same number of animals will be present on site.

Yes but when selling 50% of the cattle as singles adds risk. A single animal is more likely to bolt or charge than a group.if there are 8-10 cattle in a pen it takes time to bring them out one by one as well as stock men entering and spooking cattle to bring out one by one. as well you have the situation where 50% of the cattle take 80-90% of the selling time

Slava Ukrainii

How viable is a mart if it needs serious investment & a much more modern, safer mart is an extra 10 mins down the road?
    What was that mart with one ring that was spoken about there earlier on, with the sale ending at 3am? That's only acting the prick, no mart should operate with only one ring these days.

That mart is the busiest in Co Kerry. It is running two sales a week. One is weanling and runners starting at 5pm. It not really an option to sell heifers and bulls in different rings as most Buyers buy either. On Fridays. it a general cattle sale. Cows, bulls, sucklers, heifers and bullocks. Could the cull cows and stock bulls have a separate ring maybe, however two rings requires a larger footprint with H&S rules it would require penning and runs being secured from each other. This all costs money as well as extra stockmen.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Am i reading this right, the busiest mart in Kerry only has one ring. That's a joke if true.

tanko wrote: »
    Am i reading this right, the busiest mart in Kerry only has one ring. That's a joke if true.

There are 8 marts in Co Kerry. Gortnalea draws cattle from Limerick and Cork. Limerick has only 2, Kilmallock has 3 rings running most days, Abbeyfeale sale is over in a few hours. Cork has less marts than Kerry I think.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes but when selling 50% of the cattle as singles adds risk. A single animal is more likely to bolt or charge than a group.if there are 8-10 cattle in a pen it takes time to bring them out one by one as well as stock men entering and spooking cattle to bring out one by one. as well you have the situation where 50% of the cattle take 80-90% of the selling time
    Competent drovers with proper drafting facilities reduces health and safety risks. IMO Carnaross mart Co. Meath which holds large sales is a good example of same.

Advertisement