Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

About a year back I was in departures at Dublin Airport (T1).

Anyway you know in the center of departures there between the small shops/bar and departure gates there is like a conveyer belt to bring folk to the bottom of the area. Well I was on the belt as my gate was at the bottom and I noticed a wallet on the ground of the belt too, reckon about €400 in cash and all the persons ID cards and bank cards.

I’d say a lot of people would have just taken the cash and left the wallet where it was and enjoyed their holiday! Obviously I immediately brought the wallet and all it’s contents to one of the desks at the gates and they announced the guys name out.

To say he was delighted to get it all back was an understatement! Imagine going on holidays and only realizing you lost your wallet with all your cash on the flight over!

bmc58 wrote: »
    You would walk past a wallet on the ground at 12.30 am !! Ha,ha.

Well I’m not going to steal it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

seamusk84 wrote: »
    About a year back I was in departures at Dublin Airport (T1).

Anyway you know in the center of departures there between the small shops/bar and departure gates there is like a conveyer belt to bring folk to the bottom of the area. Well I was on the belt as my gate was at the bottom and I noticed a wallet on the ground of the belt too, reckon about €400 in cash and all the persons ID cards and bank cards.

I’d say a lot of people would have just taken the cash and left the wallet where it was and enjoyed their holiday! Obviously I immediately brought the wallet and all it’s contents to one of the desks at the gates and they announced the guys name out.

To say he was delighted to get it all back was an understatement! Imagine going on holidays and only realizing you lost your wallet with all your cash on the flight over!

I would never take cash from a lost wallet at an airport, supermarket etc.. not because of morality but because of a fear of geting caught. Even with a lot of money, there's too much risk due to CCTV cameras. Also have been cautioned once and don't want a criminal record under the theft and fraud act for a second offense.

Now a wallet in the OP scenario that's in a beach, park etc... well there's really no question about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I would never take cash from a lost wallet at an airport, supermarket etc.. not because of morality but because of a fear of geting caught. Even with a lot of money, there's too much risk due to CCTV cameras. Also have been cautioned once and don't want a criminal record under the theft and fraud act for a second offense.

Now a wallet in the OP scenario that's in a beach, park etc... well there's really no question about it.

Enough said.

Enough said.

Cesar Grumpy Ink, what did you really expect me to answer? I'm sure you knew my stance on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Srameen, what did you really expect me to answer? I'm sure you knew my stance on this.

You gave no stance in the OP, as usual, but what I'd expect is that you'd be honest and civic minded by handing the wallet in.

\out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭kirving

Best thing you can do is drop it into a brank of the bank, or even call the number of the back of the card.

The bank have the number of the card holder easily accessible on file, the Gards may not have this detail to hand, and would have to check some other register.

I left my wallet in the back of a Taxi in Manchester last year. It wasn't returned to me despite my business card with phone number being inside.

It was eventually found by a plumber who was working on the Taxi driver's house three months later. He found it, knew it didn't belong, and gave me a call.

Sent him a stamped addressed envelope and cash for a few pints and got it back with everything still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What’s funny is it never happened to me before then happened twice in the one day and one hour period.

1. A wallet with no cash just bank cards.
    2. One was a large purse the was very nearly squashed by a truck at a pedestrian near Lidl. Upon presenting it into the Garda station. 2 x iPhones and a small cash amount inside. She was very lucky. I’ve lost valuable things very recently that never were returned. Scumbag types found them and kept them. You wouldn’t wish that angry sickening type feeling you get on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So you have no problem stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I once had a wad of cash fall out of my pocket going in to the Student's Union. It was about £400, my rent money.

When i copped it I went down to reception and it had all been handed in. I just had to identify it by the amount and what denomination notes it was in.

I would never take cash from a wallet. That's a scummy thing to do. Hand it in with all it's contents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I returned a wallet once that I found on a wall out front of a house. Was about a week before Christmas, no cash in it, but bank cards that I thought the person might need as it would be hard to replace them in time for the holiday. It was possible that it had been found by someone else who left it on the wall, and maybe if there was cash they helped themselves but who knows

I turned it into Sligo gardai station and was treated woth suspicion, basically interrogated about whether or not there was cash in it. Because obviously someone who would go out of there way to return it would also be a thief. They made me give all my personal details as well.

So I would never do it again, thanks to that thick muppet of a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Have found wallets , purses and always handed them in ,.intact .
    Lost my own four/five weeks back going into daughters house . No one saw it apparently , bank cards, license etc , everything in it , including around €150 .

What can't be replaced were the personal bits in it , and that's what saddens me the most .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Have found wallets , purses and always handed them in ,.intact .
    Lost my own four/five weeks back going into daughters house . No one saw it apparently , bank cards, license etc , everything in it , including around €150 .

What can't be replaced were the personal bits in it , and that's what saddens me the most .

Maybe a lesson in that.

So no morals, no sense of what is right, no empathy for the person who lost their wallet?
    Just a fear of being caught. & if you believe there is no way to be found out, then you steal the wallet?
    Is that actually what you are telling people here?
    Have you no shame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe a lesson in that.

The lesson is some people are thieving scumbags.
    Hardly a lesson since it's a known fact.

bubblypop wrote: »
    So no morals, no sense of what is right, no empathy for the person who lost their wallet?
    Just a fear of being caught. & if you believe there is no way to be found out, then you steal the wallet?
    Is that actually what you are telling people here?
    Have you no shame?

Why you so mad? People complain that laws are too weak and then when someone gets deterred by an action because of the law, policing, CCTV you complain?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why you so mad? People complain that laws are too weak and then when someone gets deterred by an action because of the law, policing, CCTV you complain?!

You have completely twisted and misinterpreted what that user posted. Completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I take all the cash out of it and then try to contact the owner. If I can get in touch by the time I am going to bed then the owner is in luck. Otherwise I will drop it into my local copshop in the morning, or in fact when I get a chance.

Always try to leave some sort of a phone number in your wallet. Or an address etc.

I am having your cash however, tough titties , you should be more careful with your shít in future. You're lucky to be getting it back at all.

tuxy wrote: »
    The lesson is some people are thieving scumbags.
    Hardly a lesson since it's a known fact.

Or that why bother helping anyone when you won’t get the same back. Look after numero uno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or that why bother helping anyone when you won’t get the same back. Look after numero uno.

The attitude of some scumbags is what causes other people to think like that.
    You can do things without expecting something in return, it's perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement

You're just not a decent person, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭normanoffside

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I am having your cash however, tough titties , you should be more careful with your shít in future. You're lucky to be getting it back at all.

You don't know the first thing about them. How can you deem them lucky?
    Thieves often steal wallets/Purses, take the cash and leave the rest down. This makes you no different.

Maybe next time you see a wallet, leave it be and let someone with some decency find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You don't know the first thing about them. How can you deem them lucky?
    Thieves often steal wallets/Purses, take the cash and leave the rest down. This makes you no different.

Maybe next time you see a wallet, leave it be and let someone with some decency find it.

Sorry I don't care. If the owner was foolish enough and reckless enough to not look after their belongings....

I sincerely have no issue with it, quite genuinely I would look at it as being a stroke of luck, particularly if there was a nice few quid in it.

As I said I would help to get the wallet back to the owner, but I am having the cash, finders keepers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I would 100% return it. I was paying at the machine in the hospital one day and found a €100 note on the ground. Admittedly, for a brief second you do feel the temptation, but then reality sets in and I thought of some old dear rooting through her bag for change who accidentally dropped it and was searching for it since. Similarly it could have belonged to some old baxtard. Either way it wasn’t mine to keep, so I handed it in to the desk inside. I had to give my name and number and the clerk told me if it wasn’t claimed after one year it was mine. I haven’t heard anything since so I can only hope it was returned to whoever lost it.
    As my mother used to say, you’d have no luck spending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I found a wallet many years ago behind a bench in the Phoenix park, it was bursting open with the contents inside,
    I hid behind one of the trees to examine the contents.
    When I opened it up, there was just a photograph of Quasimodo inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

I found €150 out side a shop last year. Went in and told the bzzy body shopkeeper I found some cash outside if she hears of anyone loosing €€.

First thoughts were yippe. Second thought was that could be a single mother,a pensioner, a fella out on the beer.

Went to the garda station and the gaurd wouldn't take the money! He took my number and a 3 days later rang me & said he heard nothing and basically to spend away.

I've also seen on crime call someone finding a wallet outside a SuperValu,pocketing it and then it been showed on their programme. That surprised me that they would show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Maybe a lesson in that.

Lesson learnt , not to have keepsakes in new purse .

I'd still hand in someone's lost belongings if I found them , without taking anything out of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

bmc58 wrote: »
    Must have been a very posh school where a "voluntary contribution" consists of an envelope full of notes.Usually this "contribution" is between €50 to €100.

Seriously? that's the point you have taken from my story?

I don't know about 'very posh' schools, in my experience over many years €150 + is an average for a secondary school contribution. Even if it was €100 (for the sake of your argument), ten of ten euro notes would consist of an envelope full of notes.

What was your point anyway?

As my mother used to say, you’d have no luck spending it.

Interesting quote, what did she mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

I would return it because both myself and my partner have lost our wallets and people returned them in the past

Advertisement