Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you actually serious?
    You have a horrible attitude
    He was bound to say that though. His whole schtick is to look really edgy and uncaring because empathy is for pussies - such a cool person. He knows what happened to your mother is awful.

Ignore psychopathy. ;)

There is too much fake empathy going around these days though. Everyone cares and would do this and that and blah blah blah, but when you go out and see what people are really like in the real world you know that it’s the biggest lie of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I once found a mobile phone in the streets. It was the nokia 3310 days, so the phone was still turned on and wasnt locked with a password like they would be nowadays. What I did was look through the contacts until I found 'Mama' (mom), and I texted that person with that I had found the phone and which address to send it to. I got a prompt response and sent the phone to her at my own expense. I never received anything in return.

I would attempt to do the same with a wallet, for example, by searching the person on facebook or by bringing it to the gardai.

There is too much fake empathy going around these days though. Everyone cares and would do this and that and blah blah blah, but when you go out and see what people are really like in the real world you know that it’s the biggest lie of them all.
    My observation is that most people are very good to others when they're in need. It's on social media that people can be full of sh1t, virtue signalling and the like, but also there are folk who take what you say and use it to justify being a ****. "People are awful so I'll be awful" - it's projection though. Most people aren't awful. If it seems like everyone is a **** to you, then you're the ****.

(I mean the general "you").

Raconteuse wrote: »
    My observation is that most people are very good to others when they're in need. It's on social media that people can be full of sh1t, virtue signalling and the like, but also there are folk who take what you say and use it to justify being a ****. "People are awful so I'll be awful" - it's projection though. Most people aren't awful. If it seems like everyone is a **** to you, then you're the ****.

(I mean the general "you").

Indeed I probably am, but other people play a large part in shaping what you become. Gets to a stage it’s too late to attempt to change then, but nobody is blameless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He was bound to say that though. His whole schtick is to look really edgy and uncaring because empathy is for pussies - such a cool person. He knows what happened to your mother is awful.

Ignore psychopathy. ;)

Yes, it’s so edgy to expect someone to look after something that they claim they couldn’t do without. Would it be edgy to tell your child to look after their epipen if they had allergies??

Indeed I probably am, but other people play a large part in shaping what you become. Gets to a stage it’s too late to attempt to change then, but nobody is blameless.
    I didn't say you're specifically a ****. Not everyone who has your point of view is, but some use it to be one.

But of course there are people who are blameless. Shifting responsibility is no good for anyone.

Yes, it’s so edgy to expect someone to look after something that they claim they couldn’t do without. Would it be edgy to tell your child to look after their epipen if they had allergies??
    Twisting fail btw. I didn't say it's edgy to tell people to mind their stuff.

I said it's edgy to have zero empathy for people who make a slip because of being distracted and human. But you know that - you're just clinging desperately to justify your rotten thievery and attitude.

I didn't say you're specifically a ****. Not everyone who has your point of view is, but some use it to be one.

But of course there are people who are blameless. Shifting responsibility is no good for anyone.

Ah no I know you didn’t. I was saying I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

D3V!L wrote: »
    I found a wallet with cards, drivers licences and other personal items. Thought I was doing the right thing and tried to drop it into Store Street Garda station. Boy was I wrong, all I got was cheek from the Garda who told me he had better things to be doing and refused to take it.

I left it on the counter and walked out.

Best bet is to hand it into the bank where their bank cards are from.

I would imagine banks care about customers getting their cards back a bit more than a Garda does.

• Advertisement

Twisting fail btw. I didn't say it's edgy to tell people to mind their stuff.

I said it's edgy to have zero empathy for people who make a slip because of being distracted and human. But you know that - you're just clinging desperately to justify your rotten thievery and attitude.

Your mate came in with some sob story about a single mother and three kids looking for sympathy because her mother couldn’t keep track of her purse. The amount of kids or marital status were there to garner sympathy, nothing else. She couldn’t look after a wallet/purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The guards will give you a receipt for it. If the owner doesn't claim within a year and a day any cash in said wallet belongs to the finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not so important as that she looked after it well enough not to lose it. I bet she never lost it again?

You must have lost the empathy around the same time.

dubstarr wrote: »
    You must have lost the empathy around the same time.

I emphatise with people who have loved ones die, with kids who get cancer etc. Not with scatterbrains over the age of 16 who can’t keep enough wit about them to look after their wallet/purse. If you lose your wallet with cash in it, consider the lost cash an idiot tax. I’d give back cards, wallet etc in case it did have something sentimental in it. I know my own had my dads Mass card in it.

I emphatise with people who have loved ones die, with kids who get cancer etc. Not with scatterbrains over the age of 16 who can’t keep enough wit about them to look after their wallet/purse. If you lose your wallet with cash in it, consider the lost cash an idiot tax. I’d give back cards, wallet etc in case it did have something sentimental in it. I know my own had my dads Mass card in it.

so, no problem with stealing people's money then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Found a clutch bag in a toilet in a kildare town petrol station. Was north of 2k in the wallet at a guess. Left it into the coppers up the road they gave me a receipt. Never heard if it was claimed or not.

Found a clutch bag in a toilet in a kildare town petrol station. Was north of 2k in the wallet at a guess. Left it into the coppers up the road they gave me a receipt. Never heard if it was claimed or not.

If it was in Kildare then they probably just bought a new gucci bag and wouldn’t miss the 2k anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If it was in Kildare then they probably just bought a new gucci bag and wouldn’t miss the 2k anyway.

Guard would look weird going around with a Gucci bag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would you be sure that a Garda Station is the most secure place for cash or what? Have read many stories and accounts of money going missing.

But maybe I am just a cynic.

so, no problem with stealing people's money then?

From people too stupid to look after their wallet? None whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Having found a wallet before with money in it, I know I'd hand it in because that's what I did.

Having lost a wallet before with money it, someone kindly handed it in to the Garda Station.

However the money was missing out of mine.

From people too stupid to look after their wallet? None whatsoever.

A self confessed thief.
    Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Hope the man who found my daughters wallet in a car park and drove to her house too return it to her WINS the lotto draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Having had a wallet with my wages in it returned by a stranger, who refused any money. I eventually got him to take a tenner, at a time when a tenner meant something, I was so glad to get it back, as the bureaucracy for replacing lost cards and Driver's licence and work ID is a serious pain in the hole. In the airport where i work, we routinely reunite people with lost licenses, ID cards, bank cards, wallets and so on. I will always make the effort to get lost stuff back.

A self confessed thief.
    Lovely.

Is that the big revelation/put down you were hoping for?? Hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I wouldn't drop it into a Garda station, would rather take the credit for it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wouldn't drop it into a Garda station, would rather take the credit for it myself

Find them myself - Bank - Garda Station
    That would be my preference in order.

Karma...

NoDrama wrote: »
    Karma...

I’ll guess.

.....doesn’t exist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I’ll guess.

.....doesn’t exist?

No it doesn't
    The only thing we can be sure of from this thread is that some people are decent and some are scumbags.

Advertisement