Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Absolutely I would return it. My momma didn't raise no thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

tuxy wrote: »
    No it doesn't
    The only thing we can be sure of from this thread is that some people are decent and some are scumbags.

Recently seem a wallet just abandoned on my way into work, clearly from the night before, checked it and there was nothing in it so just left it where it was, loved seen the disappointment on all the scumbags faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

tuxy wrote: »
    No it doesn't
    The only thing we can be sure of from this thread is that some people are decent and some are scumbags.

It might not be Karma but I am firmly of the belief that if you return someone's wallet unharmed then if they come across a wallet in the future they will be more likely to do the same. Therefore what goes around comes around.

As shown in the You-tube video posted on page 1 the majority of people (from any class, creed or location) will return a wallet with all the money in it, so it is a minority who will steal the cash and an even bigger minority who steal everything..

As I said before, if you are a person who would likely take the cash then next time you see a wallet on the ground leave it be. You aren't doing anyone a favour by taking the money and returning the rest of the contents because the chances are the next person who spies the wallet would return everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I’ll guess.

.....doesn’t exist?

Actually it's been scientifically proven that by helping others we ourselves become happier (neural pathways in the brain/feeling of reward).

Also by being happier, we become more successful. Same goes for the people who we surround ourselves with and 'help'. Leading to a network of like minded happy successful people.

So karma could very well be real in this sense, what goes around comes around. We have an effect on the people around us, I'll keep believing in it myself and make sure I pay it forward.

Read up on some of the studies, very interesting.

Actually it's been scientifically proven that by helping others we ourselves become happier (neural pathways in the brain/feeling of reward).

Also by being happier, we become more successful. Same goes for the people who we surround ourselves with and 'help'. Leading to a network of like minded happy successful people.

So karma could very well be real in this sense, what goes around comes around. We have an effect on the people around us, I'll keep believing in it myself and make sure I pay it forward.

Read up on some of the studies, very interesting.

It just isn’t possible. I don’t doubt there’s studies but I do doubt there’s any with hard evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

It just isn’t possible. I don’t doubt there’s studies but I do doubt there’s any with hard evidence.

Tell you what, go do something nice for someone tomorrow for no other reason than just to be nice. Doesn't have to be anything big, and see how it makes you feel.

If it feels good then you have made yourself and the other person happy. That's contagious and that is karma, or whatever people want to describe it.

Now picture the opposite scenario.

Happiness breeds happiness and misery breeds misery.

Tell you what, go do something nice for someone tomorrow for no other reason than just to be nice. Doesn't have to be anything big, and see how it makes you feel.

If it feels good then you have made yourself and the other person happy. That's contagious and that is karma, or whatever people want to describe it.

Now picture the opposite scenario.

Happiness breeds happiness and misery breeds misery.

Tomorrow is New Year’s Day so I won’t see anyone as I’m off work.
    You’re misunderstanding what karma is anyway. What you’ve said is making people, including oneself, happy but karma is good things happening to you because you did good things for someone else. That isn’t possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I emphatise with people who have loved ones die, with kids who get cancer etc. Not with scatterbrains over the age of 16 who can’t keep enough wit about them to look after their wallet/purse. If you lose your wallet with cash in it, consider the lost cash an idiot tax. I’d give back cards, wallet etc in case it did have something sentimental in it. I know my own had my dads Mass card in it.
    But those people who make a slip-up (which you do too) could be stressing over a loved one dying or their child having cancer. That kind of worry will cause people to do things like lose their wallet, so I call bullsh1t. You know full well that anyone could get distracted, particularly by terrible stress or trauma and nothing to do with stupidity - clinging to "if they're stupid enough not to take care of their stuff, they deserve it" is just you trying to justify/feel better about thieving.

And someone with three small children out shopping could of course easily be distracted. But again, you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The worst thing about losing wallets is there,s usually id cards, and credit cards in it,
    most people maybe carry 1-200 euro cash max .
    pickpockets steal the wallets ,take out thecash , and throw away the wallets, a credit card is not much use unless you know the pin no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

riclad wrote: »
    The worst thing about losing wallets is there,s usually id cards, and credit cards in it,
    most people maybe carry 1-200 euro cash max .
    pickpockets steal the wallets ,take out thecash , and throw away the wallets, a credit card is not much use unless you know the pin no.

Only a retarded theif would even think of using a debit card. One would take the cash and dumb the wallet even with a contactless debit card. I've was told of an anecdotal story of a thief in England who stole a card from his friend while she was drunk. She forgot about it and moved on.

A few months later, he went to South Africa to spend it thinking no one would catch him there. When he came back to the UK things were okay until police knocked on his door a few months later to arrest him. Turns out that the SA shopping mall he used it in got CCTV footage and passed footage on to UK officials. The girl was asked if she knew the guy.

I actually wonder if cash even has tracking numbers. I know there are serial numbers on money but it is usually only tracked when someone robs a bank of any money in denominations greater than €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I found an empty wallet in a shopping center ...i gave it to the customer service desk ...and i put 5 euro in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I found an empty wallet in a shopping center ...i gave it to the customer service desk ...and i put 5 euro in it.

Was it in South Africa?

Was it in South Africa?

No south dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Physically impossible to verify and basically hogwash.

Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Karma is a lovely concept, but it is simply not possibly true.

What does a child who develops mortal cancer do about Karma? Explain that one to me please?

Exactly. The whole 'you'll have no luck for it' stuff is just a holdover from Catholic guilt. Karma, if it exists, doesn't really exist in this lifetime. Dishonest and psychopathic behaviour is rewarded under captialism, look at the likes of Trump.

Anyway, I never carry a wallet. It seems daft to me. Lose one object and there goes your on hand cash, the bank card you need to get more cash, the ID you need to get cash if you dont have the bank card, and the business card that some taxi man gave you at the end of a night out in 2002 when you were paying him so you shoved it into your wallet so you could get inside and eat your kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

o1s1n wrote: »
    Best bet is to hand it into the bank where their bank cards are from.

I would imagine banks care about customers getting their cards back a bit more than a Garda does.

I wish I would have thought of that before handing the one I found into the copshop only for the cop to imply I had emptied it of whatever cash was in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Return it. Have done before. If there is ID in it I would try to contact through FB.

I wish I would have thought of that before handing the one I found into the copshop only for the cop to imply I had emptied it of whatever cash was in it!
    That's what i was scared of....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But those people who make a slip-up (which you do too) could be stressing over a loved one dying or their child having cancer. That kind of worry will cause people to do things like lose their wallet, so I call bullsh1t. You know full well that anyone could get distracted, particularly by terrible stress or trauma and nothing to do with stupidity - clinging to "if they're stupid enough not to take care of their stuff, they deserve it" is just you trying to justify/feel better about thieving.

And someone with three small children out shopping could of course easily be distracted. But again, you know this.

Lost a lot of wallets, eh?

Advertisement