Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd try and get it back to the owner or give it into the Garda station!

fullstop wrote: »
    Another top, hypothetical thread :rolleyes:

Any need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yet again the OP lobs it up there and doesn't give his own opinion.

I'd always hand in a found wallet, and have done on a couple of occasions. How would anybody feel if they thought somebody found their lost wallet and kept it?

I suspect the OP would be very tempted - theft by finding is a curious crime to had to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Yes, would always return a found wallet. Mark Rober honesty test above, seems most people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I found a lost wallet on the pavement, took it home & opened it up, found the owners details, I then texted them to say that I was about to leave it in the local Garda station, so I did.....

Got a text from the owner the next day thanking me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Lost my wallet when I was around 20 with £200 in it. An empty wallet was handed to a relative of mine the next day. I was gutted. After that I thought there was no way I'd hand in a wallet but about 2 years ago I lost my wallet twice, both times with significant cash in it and both times it was returned to me with the cash. Faith restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I would dip it in egg, then breadcrumbs, then deep-fry it until golden brown, and then eat the ****ing thing, coins and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I once found a handbag with a ladies purse, passports and miscellaneous other effects inside, no cash though. The cards were well out of date and the bag was in the undergrowth well off the side of the road, so I assumed it had been stolen and dumped. Was able to track the New Zealand owner down through Facebook (first lesson in how easy it is to find out who someone is, where they work, etc with the contents of a handbag :eek: ) and she replied about six months later ... but didn't ask for it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Back in the last century, when I was a secondary school chizzler... I found an envelope on my way to school, in the car park. It was full of notes and I handed it in to the office (hoping that it wouldn't be claimed, or that there might be a reward).

A few hours later I was called to the headmaster's office. I thought I was in for a windfall, but he explained that it belonged to a single mother who was paying her son's annual 'voluntary contribution'. He said that there was no reward as they were a very poor family and money was hard to come by for them. He said that she was very grateful and wanted me to know that she could not have replaced the loss.

It made me think and I was glad I didn't just pocket the cash.... you never know the circumstances of others and I like to think that I at least had some extra credit in the karma bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

I'd hand it into the guards, but if there was cash in it , I'd help myself to a little tax so to speak ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'm surprised people here trust the gardai so much with a lost wallet given the public criticism of their policing and internal practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭wijam

Well, if you flip the question on it's head - if you lost your wallet, would you like it handed in

I'd hazard a guess and say almost everyone, if not everyone would say yes to that question, and if so, you really can't say no to the original question, unless of course, you are a thieving <inset expletive here>

I'm surprised people here trust the gardai so much with a lost wallet given the public criticism of their policing and internal practices.

So, you'd just keep it in case a corrupt Garda kept it for himself?

Tell me you're not really surprised that people would go to the Gardaí with a found wallet.

So, you'd just keep it in case a corrupt Garda kept it for himself?

Tell me you're not really surprised that people would go to the Gardaí with a found wallet.

It’s really the only option to find someone even though your know they’d probably just empty it and chuck it out. Only reason to hand it in is to tell yourself you’ve done the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I’m always broke and even if it was full to the brim I would return it.

I would feel better in myself, with the hope that the good thing would come back to me one day

It’s really the only option to find someone even though your know they’d probably just empty it and chuck it out. Only reason to hand it in is to tell yourself you’ve done the right thing.

I don't agree. My wife handed one in about six months ago and got a call from the owner the next day - wallet and all it's contents intact.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'd return it. I've returned many a phone to the owner. Once in Chicago I met the guy who's phone it was at a bar and he proceeded to buy me pints for the night.

Another time I found a camera at a festival. The battery was dead so I took the memory card out and put it in mine. Looked through the pictures and then searched for a guy who was in a few of the pics. He was delighted to get the camera back.

Once on a ferry to Bintan from Singapore I lost my own wallet with $500 SGD in it.
    A few days later when I got back to Singapore, and had phone signal again, there was a voicemail from someone saying they found my wallet. I went to meet them and ALL the money was still in it. I bought the person a big box of chocolates for their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

When i lived in Australia my husband found a very nice camera which someone had clearly left behind on the street (i think it was in a phone box but I am doubting my memory,was there still phone boxes there in the early 2000's??) , he handed it in to the local police station and they took his details as the finder. About a month or so later he got a call from the police to come and collect the camera, no one had claimed it so he was deemed the new owner if he wanted it, finders keepers!

Perhaps if there was a similar system in Ireland those who don't trust the gardai might be more likely to hand in lost wallets or other items.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

A guy cycled out of his way after me during the summer (about a 90 second cycle, but still), with a wallet I'd dropped, asking if I was X from an id card in the wallet. I was too surprised to say anything more than thanks (and not even the deserved massively grateful thanks at that) before he cycled off, but I didn't even have any cash in it to give him as a thanks.. Still bothers me when I think about it. Thank you, Mr. Galway cyclist man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭bmc58

A rational human would drop it into the nearest Garda station.

That would be the last place I would drop it into.Have you been reading the news lately?

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t want to steal it but wouldn’t want to bother leaving it into the Gardai either, so I’d probably just leave it there and let fate take its course.

You would walk past a wallet on the ground at 12.30 am !! Ha,ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would you return it? Let's say your from a night out and it's 12PM at the bus stop. You're in a fairly secluded area with no cars passing by and no one on the street.

Would you give into temptation?

Honestly, I’d probably keep the money (if there was any in it) and return the wallet.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I found a wallet outside a Garage/Post Office in the small car park, had €200+ in it... belonged to a pensioner who got their money for the week. What heartless **** would I be if I kept it? Of course I would return it -- I handed it over to the clerk at the post office. Told me later how incredibly grateful the elderly gent was.

Nice one.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Coming home at noon after a night out? Congrats, feegy!

Give him a break.He's still probably hung over.We all know he means 12 am ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

wijam wrote: »
    Well, if you flip the question on it's head - if you lost your wallet, would you like it handed in

I'd hazard a guess and say almost everyone, if not everyone would say yes to that question, and if so, you really can't say no to the original question, unless of course, you are a thieving <inset expletive here>

Would I like it to be handed in? Yes

Would I expect it to be handed in? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I found a wallet near o,connell st in 2018 ,,it had owners name on it, 3 bank/ credit cards, 80 euro cash.
    i left it in the bank and told em to pass it on to the owner as he is a bank account holder.

https://lost.ie/
    you can look for lost items, here, wallets, phones etc/
    Or just leave it in a garda station and they,ll contact the owner.
    It depends on who finds it.
    i know a taxi driver, people get into the car drunk after a night out ,they leave phones and wallets in the car .

Lost my wallet when I was around 20 with £200 in it. An empty wallet was handed to a relative of mine the next day. I was gutted. After that I thought there was no way I'd hand in a wallet but about 2 years ago I lost my wallet twice, both times with significant cash in it and both times it was returned to me with the cash. Faith restored.

You need someone to give you an allowance weekly.You cannot be trusted with large amounts of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sad to say, but if I found a wallet with id etc I'd hand it into a bank or post office before I'd hand it into a garda barracks.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Back in the last century, when I was a secondary school chizzler... I found an envelope on my way to school, in the car park. It was full of notes and I handed it in to the office (hoping that it wouldn't be claimed, or that there might be a reward).

A few hours later I was called to the headmaster's office. I thought I was in for a windfall, but he explained that it belonged to a single mother who was paying her son's annual 'voluntary contribution'. He said that there was no reward as they were a very poor family and money was hard to come by for them. He said that she was very grateful and wanted me to know that she could not have replaced the loss.

It made me think and I was glad I didn't just pocket the cash.... you never know the circumstances of others and I like to think that I at least had some extra credit in the karma bank.

Must have been a very posh school where a "voluntary contribution" consists of an envelope full of notes.Usually this "contribution" is between €50 to €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

If i found a wallet i think the easiest thing to do is go through Social Media.

Advertisement