Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options
  • 30-12-2019 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Would you return it? Let's say your from a night out and it's 12PM at the bus stop. You're in a fairly secluded area with no cars passing by and no one on the street.

Would you give into temptation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Would you return it? Let's say your from a night out and it's 12PM at the bus stop. You're in a fairly secluded area with no cars passing by and no one on the street.

I would return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

How many threads have you started today op?

A rational human would drop it into the nearest Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JlMMY

A wallet? All day long.

A solitary €50 note, floundering happily along? Never!!

I wouldn’t want to steal it but wouldn’t want to bother leaving it into the Gardai either, so I’d probably just leave it there and let fate take its course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

A rational human being would drop it into the nearest Garda station.

Decent/Honest/Honourable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Depend's how much cash was inside..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Coming home at noon after a night out? Congrats, feegy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d return it.

A phone call to the lost card section of whatever bank card is in it will reunite it with its owner fairly easily.

(Maybe not actually in post GDPR days)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I'd return it to its owner, the person who lost it might be without food for a week. Couldn't live with the guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Only if it has a CD sleeve of "California Love" by my playas 2Pac and Dr Dre.

Anything else is not worth my time.

Streetz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I'd return it to its owner, the person who lost it might be without food for a week. .

Are you posting from Ireland or North Korea/Congo? While thinks aren't rosy in this country, I highly doubt people starve here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I found a wallet outside a Garage/Post Office in the small car park, had €200+ in it... belonged to a pensioner who got their money for the week. What heartless **** would I be if I kept it? Of course I would return it -- I handed it over to the clerk at the post office. Told me later how incredibly grateful the elderly gent was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Are you posting from Ireland or North Korea/Congo? While thinks aren't rosy in this country, I highly doubt people starve here.

First mr_ fegelien post I laughed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Some are starved of attention it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I'd return it.
    I'd understand a hard pressed individual giving into temptation and keeping the money but a greedy, dishonest, thieving cnut - I would wish Ms Karma to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely just a poll saying are you a thief, yes or no, would be the simplest way to get the stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I found a wallet outside a Garage/Post Office in the small car park, had €200+ in it... belonged to a pensioner who got their money for the week. What heartless **** would I be if I kept it? Of course I would return it -- I handed it over to the clerk at the post office. Told me later how incredibly grateful the elderly gent was.

My dad drop his wages (pay packet envelope with his name on it) outside the Marble Arch in Drimnagh (thats Dublin for people waiting to give out) about 15 tears ago, which was his local up until he died. Didnt make its way back to him.

Lots of ***** about.

I'd hand it in to a Garda station, intact. That's exactly what you're supposed to do, and we all know it.

As a 21 or 22 year old who's never had a job, but finds all the time in the world to contemplate such challenging situations before very quickly turning to boards for their thoughts, what would you do? Would your total lack of employment lead to you being tempted? Is that how you've ended up giving it a second thought?

What it comes down to is that temptation would only be there for would-be or actual thieves. To decent folk, it's not a factor at all.

Hand it in Fegelein. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Mr Fegelien if I gave you €10 for each piece of chewing gum (chewed) that you would stick in your anus how much would I end up paying you ?

• Advertisement

Your worldly experience informs that opinion I can see. You know one of these days you're going to end up having to get out into the real world, don't you?

I hope you'll never be as hungry as many find themselves to be, even in good oul' Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

12pm? Impressive night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Give it back Feg, you know deep down it's the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I seem to find money / phones etc a good bit and always try to get back to owner if I can. Phone is usually easy enough to get back to someone. Money on its own not so easy. Found E20 note in a shop a few weeks ago and handed it in, asked if they could put in envelope incase the person who lost it comes back.

I was in the queue in Penny's a few weeks ago. Found e20, asked five people ahead of me. None of them lost money but were surprised that someone would ask people. When I asked the fifth person it was hers, she seemed to struggle to even say thanks....actually I don't think she said thanks...she didn't care that someone had given her the money she had lost :rolleyes:

But most people do appreciate if you get their money / belongings back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Yeah, I’d return it. If there was any contact information in it, I’d contact the owner. Otherwise I’d hand it into a Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With so many public cameras around today what would happen if ur seen on it picking up a wallet and pocketing it or taking money/cards out and ****ing it away ???

Remember was at a Liam Gallagher concert in Cork where I was queuing at the bar and someone let a wad of cash fall on the ground and walk off (so many people around at the time) not knowing and a guy in front of me asked was that mine and I said it wasant but he picked it up and pocketed it. I thought he would of handed into the bar staff. Kind of annoyed I didnt say it was mine the more I think about it ha. Would I have kept it ???? Probably yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Another top, hypothetical thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I found a wallet recently and just typed the persons name into facebook that was on their bank card in the wallet.
    Told her to come to my house and pick it up.
    I lost a wallet myself before and the Gardaí called to my door and asked me had I lost my wallet. Asked why I didn't report it and told me to go to the Garda station and get it. They must of had Feck all to do that day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Ì'm looking for for thread rating the best song from the 80s. have my list prepared. Please let me know where it is. I'm a bit drunk but want Jimmy Somerville to win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I’d return it.

A phone call to the lost card section of whatever bank card is in it will reunite it with its owner fairly easily.

(Maybe not actually in post GDPR days)

If you drop it into any branch they can call the owner as you agree to calls about your account when you sign up.

It's not much effort to drop it into the Garda or Bank so I'd do it and hope someone would do the same for me.
    I'm far from wealthy but if it's only a few hundred euro I'd reunite it with the owner. A few thousand could tempt me but I would try to resist.

Advertisement