Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost wallet

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can I ask where do people here frequent and find wallets that are displaced from their owners? I go out occasionally and have never stumbled across a lost wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Sorry I don't care. If the owner was foolish enough and reckless enough to not look after their belongings....

I sincerely have no issue with it, quite genuinely I would look at it as being a stroke of luck, particularly if there was a nice few quid in it.

As I said I would help to get the wallet back to the owner, but I am having the cash, finders keepers etc.

You see, I would always think that maybe it belongs to someone who really needs that money more than me. It's not mine to keep, maybe thats all they had to live on for the week, maybe they need it for important stuff like food, medicine or for their kids.

I couldn't in good conscience spend money that wasn't mine to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bubblypop wrote: »
    You're just not a decent person, that is all.

I'm convinced he was not brought up by humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can I ask where do people here frequent and find wallets that are displaced from their owners? I go out occasionally and have never stumbled across a lost wallet.

Please don’t answer him.

Sounds like he wants to find some easy cash to keep.

And the saying ‘you’d have no luck spending it’ means that the bad luck you’d get from not handing back the cash would be worse that the joy you’d have spending it.

Life is about karma, be a cnut your entire life and life will be a cnut to you.

Interesting quote, what did she mean?

Basically means what goes around comes around, karma, it will bring you bad luck etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i see a lost wallet about once every 14 months, i bring it to the garda station,
    once i found one and txted the owner,and returned it,
    as her student id was on it.
    I emailed the college and got her phone no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You see, I would always think that maybe it belongs to someone who really needs that money more than me. It's not mine to keep, maybe thats all they had to live on for the week, maybe they need it for important stuff like food, medicine or for their kids.

I don't and I wouldn't make any assumptions about the cash either. For all you know it is a flash in the pan for the owner, don't ever take that risk, just spend it on yourself instead, it is only money.

I have a very clear conscience over this.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Please don’t answer him.

He's asking disingenuous idiotic questions and people are wasting time answering him.

I don't even believe n karma but strangers have been kind to me in the past so why wouldn't I do the same.

Please don’t answer him.

Sounds like he wants to find some easy cash to keep.

And the saying ‘you’d have no luck spending it’ means that the bad luck you’d get from not handing back the cash would be worse that the joy you’d have spending it.

Physically impossible to verify and basically hogwash.

Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Karma is a lovely concept, but it is simply not possibly true.

What does a child who develops mortal cancer do about Karma? Explain that one to me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Physically impossible to verify and basically hogwash.

Bad things happen to good people all the time.

Karma is a lovely concept, but it is simply not possibly true.

What does a child who develops mortal cancer do about Karma? Explain that one to me please?

You make the world a slightly better place by returning the wallet and money and that's all you can do.
    Steal the money and you do the opposite.

• Advertisement

You make the world a slightly better place by returning the wallet and money and that's all you can do.
    Steal the money and you do the opposite.

You really do not get it do you?

If I find money I am not stealing it, am I ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Theft by finding. Look it up.

If you find your own money you’re not stealing it. If you find someone else’s money and keep it, that’s theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Of course you are stealing it if it's in a wallet/purse. It's a specific person's property.

If you find a note on it's own fluttering up the street then that's a different thing IMO.

If I had known this I would have been on the lookout for cars in public that still have the key in the ignition!

Yes you are actually and could be found guilty of theft.

Of course anything you find can be given to the Gardai, if it goes unclaimed for a year then it's rightfully yours.

Of course you are!
    There used to be an offense called theft by finding it larceny by finding, under the old larceny act 1916, I think.
    Now, it's plain old theft and you can be charged under the theft act 2001, & people have.

Of course you are!
    There used to be an offense called theft by finding it larceny by finding, under the old larceny act 1916, I think.
    Now, it's plain old theft and you can be charged under the theft act 2001, & people have.

It’s theft 100%. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-convicted-of-theft-after-finding-nearly-3-000-in-bush-1.289077

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I take all the cash out of it and then try to contact the owner. If I can get in touch by the time I am going to bed then the owner is in luck. Otherwise I will drop it into my local copshop in the morning, or in fact when I get a chance.

Always try to leave some sort of a phone number in your wallet. Or an address etc.

I am having your cash however, tough titties , you should be more careful with your shít in future. You're lucky to be getting it back at all.

100% correct, the cash is an idiot tax.

• Advertisement

If something is that important to you, look after it.

What a load of absolute hogwash. Laughable.

If something is that important to you, look after it.

I'll never forget the time, as a child, maybe 4 or 5, my twin brothers were still in a buggy, my (single parent) mother was doing the grocery shopping, what with 3 small kids & endless bags, nappies, bottles etc, something happened with her purse. Either someone stole it from the bag, or else it fell from one of the bags.
    She didn't realise until we got to the till, went to pay...... No purse, no money. It was all her money for the week, for all 4 of us. & this was late 70s, early 80s , when there really wasn't much at all.
    I will never forget her tears & how devasted she was.
    Do you think that money wasn't important to her? To us?

And no, nobody handed it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

"Finders keepers" (a phrase used in the primary schoolyard) and "it's their fault for being careless" - the attempts to justify being a thief. :D

Also, vowing not to return or hand in lost property again because one person was ungrateful or one guard was a scumbag... logic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

No purse, no money. It was all her money for the week, for all 4 of us. & this was late 70s, early 80s , when there really wasn't much at all.

Horrible behaviour to keep the cash. You have no idea who it may affect.

I heard of a similar one from the Superquinn near me at home in the 90's.

It was either a store manager, or Fergal Quinn himself, who was doing the rounds of the shop and came upon a woman with kids who got to the till and couldn't pay for whatever reason.

He told her not to worry and to take the shopping home, saying "I see you here all the time, this one's on us". You wouldn't get that any more.

The fact the law is set up to call it theft if you just find it is another reason to step over it and get on with your day.

I'll never forget the time, as a child, maybe 4 or 5, my twin brothers were still in a buggy, my (single parent) mother was doing the grocery shopping, what with 3 small kids & endless bags, nappies, bottles etc, something happened with her purse. Either someone stole it from the bag, or else it fell from one of the bags.
    She didn't realise until we got to the till, went to pay...... No purse, no money. It was all her money for the week, for all 4 of us. & this was late 70s, early 80s , when there really wasn't much at all.

Not so important as that she looked after it well enough not to lose it. I bet she never lost it again?

Not so important as that she looked after it well enough not to lose it. I bet she never lost it again?

Are you actually serious?
    You have a horrible attitude

Are you actually serious?
    You have a horrible attitude

I’ll take that as a no. She actually looked after it in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I found a wallet with cards, drivers licences and other personal items. Thought I was doing the right thing and tried to drop it into Store Street Garda station. Boy was I wrong, all I got was cheek from the Garda who told me he had better things to be doing and refused to take it.

I left it on the counter and walked out.

Advertisement