Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cbreeze wrote: »
    When we say 'poorly' it means you are at death's door, the undertaker is on speed dial and the grave is dug

Who's "we"?

Poorly wouldn't mean that to me, at all.
    It means, a bit sick, to me.

Also, Afternoon Tea. I know its catching on in Ireland a lot the last couple of years but never heard of Afterrnoon Tea until I went to work in a hotel in London nearly 10 years ago, its a huge thing over there for people. The idea of going to a fancy hotel or restaurant just to have tiny cakes and scones and tea served on a fancy serving thing and paying good money for it was bizzare to me.

Perhaps afternoon tea is more popular in the UK but as long as Ireland has had hotels, there's been afternoon tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

theteal wrote: »
    Very true, I nearly got into a bit of trouble in the office with that one when I first moved over.

Well, to be fair, it is a full on racist term in the UK. It's what they called Native Americans and then natives in Africa. Now the term is mostly just a slur for black people similar to the dreaded n-word, but not used as often. I'd say the Windrush generation knew all about that word after they arrived in the UK.

Not suggesting it's a racist word in the Irish context. It's just a word for a sandwich in Ireland. But I wouldn't use it in the UK.

Well, to be fair, it is a full on racist term in the UK. It's what they called Native Americans and then natives in Africa. Now the term is mostly just a slur for black people similar to the dreaded n-word, but not used as often. I'd say the Windrush generation knew all about that word after they arrived in the UK.

Not suggesting it's a racist word in the Irish context. It's just a word for a sandwich in Ireland. But I wouldn't use it in the UK.

I was completely unaware of the racist angle.
    Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Born and bred in Ireland to Irish parents and I'd always use the word cupboard and never use the word press.
    Hot press is a magazine to me.
    I have an airing cupboard.

So, you fcuks off.

Why are you putting cups in with your hot water cylinder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

blinding wrote: »
    Do they not go for a shag afterwards ? I always that was a bit of a Euphemism for a bit of the other ! !

Ohh err Missus.

I was completely unaware of the racist angle.
    Good to know.

I got some strange looks the first time I used it in the UK. It was with a group of people who knew it was probably not meant as a racist term and explained the context to me
    - Mates, "what are you doing for lunch?
    Me "oh I'll probably grab a sambo and meet you back in the canteen".

Took effort for me not to say it again though

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Perhaps afternoon tea is more popular in the UK but as long as Ireland has had hotels, there's been afternoon tea.
    Not just hotels, the Irish biscuit company Jacob's have had a biscuit selection box called Afternoon Tea for decades.
    Here's a photo of an old box:

MDRiZWViMDA4NTNkZGY4Y2FkOWRmMWFkMTU2Zjk4YjNe2XfTB7ewz5zBRVT2deITaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMzExZjhhODdmNDZkMGI0NWE0YWY2ZDRkM2M5Mjg2ZTQwZjNjYzZkN2JhNGNjMWFkNDEwMWMwZWEyYTE0NmQwZC5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

https://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/vintage-jacobs-afternoon-tea-tin/18860291

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

few words that shriek British when used for me;

Galoshes instead of Wellies

Luncheon either as a noun or verb

Using ‘shall’ instead of will

Partake

An invitation for a spot of (luncheon/golf etc)

Then you could get into regional language like the Geordies have loads of terms passed down through the Danish invasion. Danelaw was a Viking country in England and it was eventually defeated and replaced by other cultures in most parts but it retreated towards Newcastle and Northunberland.

To this day the Geordies say things like "gan yem" instead of "going home" which is almost a direct translation from the Danish of the time.

But regional dialects are not really considered "formal" language in the UK. But I still think it's interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Likewise ginger to describe a red haired person. It was always foxy over here when I was growing up. They even used the expression ginger in Bridget And Eamon even though no one ever used it here in the 80s.

My mother had red hair, and was nicknamed Ginger when she was growing up in the 40s & 50s in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Allinall wrote: »
    Ta-ra

Yes, but we have "The Ra".
    Zaph wrote: »
    I can't remember what red heads were referred to when I was growing up, bit it definitely wasn't foxy. The only person I've ever heard using that term is my sister-in-law. Might be a regional thing though, I'm from Dublin and she's from Cork.

I'm a redhead and I grew up in the north west, it was 'ginger' in Sligo, as well as parts of Cork. 'Foxy' was used to mean a seductive, sexy woman, hair colour was immaterial.

Garden Leave - (e.g) an employee has handed in their notice and the firm does not want the employee to work their notice on the premises' so the employer may grant the employee "Garden Leave".

When I worked on a project in the UK, there was myself and 2 other young women in the office, they needed to be there most of the time. One of them booked 'garden leave' with me a week before whe went on holidays. It was for one afternoon. Turns out she was getting a Brazilian.
    UK Ex Pats abroad are not immigrants ever. Gets me every time.

Yeah, that annoys the crap out of me. I spent 16 years abroad. One sign of a tosser of a UK (inevitably English) person is if they use the 'ex-pat' moniker. It usually meant they made no attempt to learn the local language/culture/customs/politics and were immersed in their own world of other 'ex-pats'. Drank in the same bars, ate in the same restaurants. The ones who lived in former UK colonies were hands down the worst. Each country (France, Germany....) had it's own subset of 'ex-pats'. Wankewrs to a core. The ordinary UK crowd were fine.

Using ‘shall’ instead of will

Partake

An invitation for a spot of (luncheon/golf etc)

Galoshes are a different thing to wellingtons - galoshes go over your shoes.

Luncheon. I've never heard an English person use the full formal form of lunch, ever.
    Luncheon meat - do they have that in the UK, too?

Shall? Perhaps.

Partake? Wha? It's just a word that isn't used much in either place.

Spot (of lunch)? That's just very old fashioned and posh. Not common.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A Spot Of Crumpet sounds Tally Ho-ish to me ! !

KevRossi wrote: »
    Yeah, that annoys the crap out of me. I spent 16 years abroad. One sign of a tosser of a UK (inevitably English) person is if they use the 'ex-pat' moniker. It usually meant they made no attempt to learn the local language/culture/customs/politics and were immersed in their own world of other 'ex-pats'. Drank in the same bars, ate in the same restaurants. The ones who lived in former UK colonies were hands down the worst. Each country (France, Germany....) had it's own subset of 'ex-pats'. Wankewrs to a core. The ordinary UK crowd were fine.

Seems to be fairly well used elsewhere as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=irish+ex+pats&rlz=1CDGOYI_enIE757IE757&oq=irish+ex+pats+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.4376j0j4&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CDGOYI_enIE757IE757&hl=en-GB&sxsrf=ALeKk020Oe39-GAIG4WRluHtgOvLwl3O0A%3A1586950850476&ei=wvKWXsrWHPWh1fAP0KKP2Ag&q=american+ex+pats&oq=american+ex+pats&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAoyBAgAEAo6BAgAEEc6BwgjELACECc6BAgAEA06CAgAEAcQChAeOgoIABAIEAcQChAeOgYIABAKEENQvasFWKjKBWDJ0wVoAHACeACAAaMBiAGgDJIBAzguN5gBAKABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I heard the word Grotty used by an English women to describe a dried up marsh in Spain before(we were all walking along a footpath beside it)
    I'd never heard it used before (outside of UK children's books or TV)

Poorly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Rarely do I hear the English distinguish between tennis and lawn tennis.

But they certainly refer to what we call "rugby" as 'rugby union", obviously to distinguish it from "rugby league"

Similarly they tend to say football whereas we’re more likely to say soccer to distinguish from GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Also, I've never heard an Irish person abroad refer to themselves as immigrants.

Ugh, lucky you. I did it for a while, but I realised it is completely misrepresenting what it is to be someone from a first world country moving to somewhere out of choice.

There are tons of irish academics, writers and that sort who are Irish but are living in the UK, and describe themselves as 'immigrants'. Utter ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

“To lodge a cheque”

I said I was lodging a cheque into my bank account and my English colleague had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

“To make a lodgement” seemingly meets nothing to them.

He refers to it as “putting money in the bank” and assumes the term used was to “make a deposit”

Naturally enough, I was told we are wrong and the term is “hilariously funny” and do on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Always notice the Brits always say "I've not had my tea yet". Whereas nearly everyone in Ireland would say "I haven't had my tea yet". Be interesting to know what thats about if someone could explain?

Haven't had is the more common form. I've not had would be rare anywhere outside the UK.

Well Seymour, I made it, despite your directions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Xertz wrote: »
    “To lodge a cheque”

I said I was lodging a cheque into my bank account and my English colleague had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

“To make a lodgement” seemingly meets nothing to them.

He refers to it as “putting money in the bank” and assumes the term used was to “make a deposit”

Naturally enough, I was told we are wrong and the term is “hilariously funny” and do on.
    I wrote about making a lodgement before in a communications mock exam - marked by tutors in the UK. Giant question marks were sent back about the term lodgement. I always wondered what the issue was. I never would have thought it wasn't universal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Ugh, lucky you. I did it for a while, but I realised it is completely misrepresenting what it is to be someone from a first world country moving to somewhere out of choice.

There are tons of irish academics, writers and that sort who are Irish but are living in the UK, and describe themselves as 'immigrants'. Utter ****.

**** for describing themselves accurately? Perhaps you are the wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Also, I've never heard an Irish person abroad refer to themselves as immigrants.

"Undocumented Irish" cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

"Undocumented Irish" cracks me up.

Undocumented immigrants to Ireland are illegal, other countries should be grateful for the contribution of the "undocumented Irish". We are very special in our own minds.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wrote about making a lodgement before in a communications mock exam - marked by tutors in the UK. Giant question marks were sent back about the term lodgement. I always wondered what the issue was. I never would have thought it wasn't universal

Nope. It’s not understood at all outside Ireland. In the US and Canada it’s “to deposit”. In much of England it’s more likely: “that cheque needs putting in bank”

The Irish terms that seem to cause most confusion:

Pan for a loaf of bread. (Very French inspired).
    I know someone who asked for a sliced pan and was directed to a hardware shop in Yorkshire.

Press is actually an old English word. It’s dropped out of use in northern England but it’s still very much the main word for cupboard in Ireland.

I remember a rather amusing story where a company had a bit of a crisis going on. There was a confidence briefing document sent to someone in Ireland which was and had to be handed to the Irish CEO only.

US office rang the office in Dublin or Cork or whatever it was and asked “did you get the couriered document?”

“ah yes! It arrived! Don’t worry! I’ve put in the press.”

Guy nearly has heart attack thinking she distributed it to the press, having never heard the term before.

There are a few Irish specific terms like “I did my Leaving in 1985” ... everyone thinking you’ve had some dramatic exit party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Concourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Xertz wrote: »
    The Irish terms that seem to cause most confusion:

Pan for a loaf of bread. (Very French inspired).
    I know someone who asked for a sliced pan and was directed to a hardware shop in Yorkshire.

It comes from French, but has ended up exactly the same as the Spanish word for bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But galoshes are different to wellies.

Wellies go over your feet directly, galoshes go over your shoes.

Advertisement