Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options
12345679»

Comments

Nonce is a good one too that never got much use here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Nonce is a good one too that never got much use here.
    ‘ Ponce ' is another one, to go a bit Father Tedish,

fryup wrote: »
    one think i've noticed about Brit speak esp the english is that they can't pronounce ing at the end of words they pronounce it as ink

e.g. something - some'ink, going - go'ink, running - runn'ink

I’ve heard somefink used in London/Essex. Never heard anyone say runnink or goink though.

It’s very much a regional accent thing though. For a like to like comparison you would have to say that here the equivalent would be putting nothing on the end of ing, as in nuttin instead of nothing or people who say been instead of being.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Aegir wrote: »
    I’ve heard somefink used in London/Essex. Never heard anyone say runnink or goink though.

It’s very much a regional accent thing though. For a like to like comparison you would have to say that here the equivalent would be putting nothing on the end of ing, as in nuttin instead of nothing or people who say been instead of being.
    Agreed. That "ink" on the end of words is predominantly a London/South East thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I just found it annoying that I had someone who says “one, two, free. Uncle Aurfur is ‘avin a barf!” asking me to “go on mate: say thirty three and a third!” and then being disappointed that I pronounce th correctly, but just going on endlessly about “you lot say th like de” anyway. Same guy kept asking a friend of mine from Yorkshire to say “Upper Street” too and greeting her with “Ay up” until she eventually told him to go ... himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sir
    Dame
    Viscount

Your Majesty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I gave and took abuse in school but I wouldn’t comment on red hair, why would I? :confused: It’s nothing remarkable. And I never said ginger

If you are a red headed footballer having a bad game in the UK the ginger comments will start coming from the fans. Saying ginger as if it’s freakishly rare, it’s not

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatsthecraic?

Xertz wrote: »
    I just found it annoying that I had someone who says “one, two, free. Uncle Aurfur is ‘avin a barf!” asking me to “go on mate: say thirty three and a third!” and then being disappointed that I pronounce th correctly, but just going on endlessly about “you lot say th like de” anyway.

Surely they asked you to say "Firty free and a fird"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Furlough being the latest one...

Aren't we kind of doing that with the E350 payments etc?

Secondment another one. I have been seconded to work in the UK in summers past. Never hear the word used in Ireland.

Administration instead of liquidation. Loads more examples.

Maybe i'm adding 2+2 and getting 5 but the conspiracy nut in my head told me to write this thread.

The UK has many regional variations in language, so what you might hear will differ depending if you're in Derry, Belfast, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester, Cardiff or London!

Official government speak (jargon) is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Surely they asked you to say "Firty free and a fird"?

Haha - you should hear official British aristocracy pronounce the fraction one fifth - the second letter "f" in "fifth" is not emphasised although; we never followed suit on that one here.

That said, some folk here in Ireland can sometimes get it wrong when they refer to "Westminster" by pronouncing it incorrectly as "Westminister" and while I don't mind except; if it's one of our own senior politicians contributing to a discussion in the presence of some leading British politicians who are not always understanding of other cultures and ethnic groups in Britain.

One of the few things that was funny on BBC soap, EastEnders was June Brown playing the character, Dot Cotton/Branning and could often be heard using bad grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. That "ink" on the end of words is predominantly a London/South East thing.

some-ink, instead of "something" gone wrong there I reckon

and up in Northern England like Manchester you can get people putting different sound for words ending in letter "a" like Rita in Coronation Street can sound like Reet-awe and then you get the "Terra" when saying goodbye whereas we say "See ya later" even if you are not necessarily gonna see them later!

Advertisement