Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The DP World Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What happened eddie pepperell?

Apparently disqualified on Saturday for running out of balls. Did anyone see it?

He hasn't been on twitter since!!

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/09/eddie-pepperell-dqd-after-running-out-of-golf-balls/
    Pepperell hit as many as five balls into the water on the par-5 4th hole at Montgomerie Maxx Royal Golf Course. Martin Kaymer and George Coetzee were his playing partners, and were genuinely unsure how many he hit. “He was quick, so it was hard to keep track,” Kaymer told reporters on site. “He did not ask if he could borrow one from me or George. It did not look like he wanted to play. He did not putt with his putter on the third hole; he putted with a wedge. So there was a lot happening.”

Bizarre stuff, a bit like John Daly a few years back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Could he have borrowed balls? Are they not "equipment"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

slave1 wrote: »
    Could he have borrowed balls? Are they not "equipment"?

Apparently he could have but only if his playing partners were using an identical brand and model of ball. I was surprised you could do that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Paul Dunne, Gavin Moynihan (via 2019 Race to Dubai rankings below 115) and Jonathan Caldwell, Robin Dawson, Michael Hoey and Niall Kearney (via 2nd stage Q-School), will be the six Irish players competing for one of the 25 European Tour cards available via Q-School Final Stage, that will take place in 2 courses in Lumine Hills and Lakes courses. The 6 round, 108 hole marathon will get underway on this Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Back to back eagles for Tommy. Would be a big win for him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If Bernd Wiesberger wins the Nedbank Golf Challenge today (currently one back with 6 holes remaining of his final round, after 3 consecutive birdies from holes 10-12), then he wins the Race to Dubai, with one tournament remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Back to back eagles for Tommy. Would be a big win for him.

And another one to tie the lead

Lucky break there for Tommy, off the sprinkler to move to 13 under.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Watched Tommy's final round there on YT, wow he was creaming if off the tee, had some good and bad luck but to come from so far back (6) and net $2.5m and now prime for R2D, happy days

Watched Tommy's final round there on YT, wow he was creaming if off the tee, had some good and bad luck but to come from so far back (6) and net $2.5m and now prime for R2D, happy days

3 eagles in a final round is unbelievable.

The one week I didn't pick him on my fantasy golf team :rolleyes:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Day 4 is cut day at the European Tour Q-School, where the top 70 and ties play the final 2 rounds at Lumine Lakes Course.

Jonathan Caldwell was Rory McIlroy's playing partner at the 2007 Walker Cup in Royal County Down for team GB&I. Caldwell and Rory have gone different paths since, but Jonathan has started to play some good golf again in the mini tours and so far this week, he is doing quite nicely. Currently 7 under after 4 rounds, he is just one shot outside the top 25 that secure European Tour cards for next season. Tied-30th for the Clondeboye clubman. Full Challenge Tour status is guaranteed for Jonathan at least. He will want to upgrade that status to being a European tour member come close of play on Wednesday

Gavin Moynihan and Niall Kearney are currently on the cut line at 4 under. Gavin carded a 3 under 68 at Lumine Lakes Course. While Niall has 3 holes remaining at Lumine Hills course, he also is 3 under for the day through 15. If Niall makes the cut, he will have at least full Challenge tour status for 2020.

However Robin Dawson at 3 under will miss out by one and Michael Hoey's injury ravaged season has come to an end as he finished well down the field at 7 over.

I don't get Michael Hoey, for a guy with what, 4/5 Tour wins he always seems to be losing his card and at Q school?

I don't get Michael Hoey, for a guy with what, 4/5 Tour wins he always seems to be losing his card and at Q school?

Here is an interesting stat slave1, Michael Hoey has had more European Tour wins (5) than Paul McGinley (4). Hoey is a strange one alright, bags of potential, won the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship in 2011, which we all thought would lead to the Ballymoney man becoming a top player.

However he is just way too inconsistent, his good weeks are really good and his bad weeks are way too disappointing. Injuries in the last few years has affected his play and personally he is one of those players, that would drive you mad. Very good swing, consistent ball-striker. But imo despite those 5 ET wins, I feel that he has underachieved for a long time.

Niall Kearney finished round 4 with a birdie, par and bogey to finish at 4 under, right on the mark. The Royal Dublin clubman has secured full playing rights on the Challenge Tour for 2020 at least. Great stuff from Niall. His brother Mick is currently playing for Zebre rugby, in the Pro14 and has featured for Connacht and Leinster. Great sporting family those Kearney's are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,157 ✭✭✭✭josip

Posting here because I can't see an Irish Open 2020 thread. Mods please move if there's somewhere better.

I want to get a ticket for my brother for the week in Mount Juliet.
    Is there an official website that I can get them from?
    When I go via the European Tour website I get redirected to eventbrite which has season tickets for €83.
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dubai-duty-free-irish-open-2020-tickets-77129407133

Are those official tickets? I don't want to use a reseller/tout site.
    Tx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

josip wrote: »
    Posting here because I can't see an Irish Open 2020 thread. Mods please move if there's somewhere better.

I want to get a ticket for my brother for the week in Mount Juliet.
    Is there an official website that I can get them from?
    When I go via the European Tour website I get redirected to eventbrite which has season tickets for €83.
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dubai-duty-free-irish-open-2020-tickets-77129407133

Are those official tickets? I don't want to use a reseller/tout site.
    Tx.

Eventbrite are official ticket partner for European tour.

Scores after round 5 of European Tour Q-School Final Stage from an Irish prospective. Top 25 and ties will secure European Tour cards for 2020 after tomorrow's final round in Lumine.

Jonathan Caldwell Tied 25th at 9 under, 2 under 69 today
    Niall Kearney Tied 33rd at 8 under, 4 under 67 today
    Gavin Moynihan Tied 47th at 6 under, 2 under 69 today

So all three Irish lads have a huge chance of European Tour status, for the upcoming season. Fingers crossed for all of them. A huge opportunity beckons indeed.

Next week's Hong Kong Open, has been cancelled due to the continued unrest in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Latest scores from the final round of Q-School:

Caldwell -10 after 9 holes
    Moynihan -8 after 9 holes (just gone birdie-eagle for his last 2 holes)
    Kearney -8 after 12 holes

I am guessing that -12 is needed to secure a card so strong finishes needed from all 3

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Caldwell in good position now

Par at the 18th should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

If he pars 18 and 2 of the guys on -11 improve by 1 then it could be a 6 man play off for 5 spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Top 25 and ties earn cards so no need for a playoff

Birdies it. European Tour Card secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

paulos53 wrote: »
    Top 25 and ties earn cards so no need for a playoff

ET website a bit misleading. Birdie to finish anyway!

Three stages. 252 holes. 25 cards. European Tour Qualifying School is arguably the toughest test in golf.

Really inspirational stuff from Jonathan Caldwell these past 6 days. Huge congratulations to the Clondeboye man and after all these years on the PGA Europro Tour, Challenge Tour etc, he will become a European tour player next season. Good performances also from Gavin Moynihan and Niall Kearney too. They will have full playing rights on the Challenge tour next season. They will also get some starts on the main European tour also.

So Cormac Sharvin and Jonathan Caldwell are our new players, that have graduated onto the European tour next season. My guess is that Caldwell, Moynihan and Kearney will get starts at the Australian PGA Championship, starting December 19th. While Cormac should get in to Leopard Creek next week, along with Mauritius and Australia, before the Christmas break.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think I prefer the FedEx cup setup where players start on a score. Bit easier to follow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Rory burning it up.

Think I prefer the FedEx cup setup where players start on a score. Bit easier to follow.

No chance. Only reason fedex worked this year is because Thomas didn’t play well.

• Advertisement

Lorenzo vera is some putter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Remind me wrote: »
    No chance. Only reason fedex worked this year is because Thomas didn’t play well.

General consensus was that the FedEx finale worked well, the winner of the tournament won the Fed Ex, simple to follow not like the year previous where no one had a clue what was going on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

General consensus was that the FedEx finale worked well, the winner of the tournament won the Fed Ex, simple to follow not like the year previous where no one had a clue what was going on.

If Thomas had gone out and shot a few under in the first round it was all over. In terms of the winner takes it all it was no different to the previous year, no one outside the top 5 was going to do it. No one is coming from 8 or 10 back with the whole field in front of them.

No doubt it was good TV this year, I don’t see it working long term but hopefully wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Rory burning it up.

Pity got the water on 18. Hopefully make the par to go bogey free, some round otherwise

Couldn’t see the advantage in going for it on 18, thought he would lay up. Hopefully he rolls in the par.

Very good par in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lorenzo Vera in the Hazard off the tee on 18, Rahm has a makeable eagle putt.

Serious balls from Vera to go for the green there after the drop. Should make par now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

“I’m French, I can curse on live tv!!!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    “I’m French, I can curse on live tv!!!”
    Colloquial English swearing from a Frenchman. I'm impressed. :D

Rahm holing putts from everywhere today, -4 after 6 holes, a 4 shot lead now

• Advertisement

Rahm making tough work of this now

Fleetwood, outrageous putt

All of a sudden itll be an interesting finish

Is Lorenzo Vera slow? They're way behind McIlroy and Fleetwood

Rahm should make birdie after that drive

Deserved win anyway.

Rough start to Cormac Sharvins European tour debut.
    8 over.

Took a 9 on the par 5 15th.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jon Rahm has been named as European Tour player of the year for 2019.

Jon Rahm has been named as European Tour player of the year for 2019.

Would have thought the member of the European tour who won twice including a major would have picked up this award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Remind me wrote:
    Would have thought the member of the European tour who won twice including a major would have picked up this award?
    3 wins, 2 seconds and a third is some going. Absolutely deserving winner.

eagle eye wrote: »
    3 wins, 2 seconds and a third is some going. Absolutely deserving winner.

Meh, winning the Open in such a convincing way gets it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement