Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Survivor: Winners at War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ethan is still a very likable guy and I would like to see him win and not just because he had cancer but because he really does seem to be a genuine human being which is rare on reality TV.

Ethan is probably my favourite going in to this (loved him in Africa and All-Stars, and on The Amazing Race) - would love to see himself and Yul play the game together if they make it to a tribe swap or a merge. I'm very interested to see how those two will adapt to the new way the game is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I enjoyed this episode. I haven't watched Survivor since Ben won (about 2 years ago) so I don't know anything about Wendell, Nick or Adam. I stopped watching cos I felt that season was rigged for Ben to win and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I felt like Natalie found that idol way too easily, the path was marked out for her! Does this mean that there will be idol drops every week? Seems a bit unneccesary. I'm glad Amber was voted out. She is a wet fish and isn't a great player. It was fun to see Kim on the outs, panicking unlike her winning season. Michelle seemed totally on the outs, but I would like to see her do well as she is a quiet unflashy player. Yul did impress me, he hasn't aged a bit and seems even smarter than before. He chose well to side with Sophie. I don't think Parvati will do well. She seems to have aged a lot in the past 10 years, and to see her blubbing about leaving her kid behind, no one wants to hear that. I think she sided with Rob because they must have a pregame alliance. But the both of them seem to think they are much better players than the rest of them, which they aren't. Just more famous.

I was impressed with how Danni managed to deal with Rob when he came up to her demanding to know if she threw his name out. She didn't flinch and was able to turn it around in her favour. The players that impressed me were: Danni, Yul & Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

So I managed to finish the episode. It's really entertaining so far although I can already see the players from the old seasons struggling. Not sure how I feel about the fire tokens, I mean you can now buy an idol?? I predict another tribal where the person who goes home only goes home because everyone else has an idol!!

So glad Amber went home, looking forward to how pi$$ed Rob will be. Kinda sucks though that she is going to just give whatever advantages she can to Rob. She isn't going to think of the long game.

Denise and Adam are so lucky that they didn't go home. Can't wait for next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

kaji wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode. I haven't watched Survivor since Ben won (about 2 years ago) so I don't know anything about Wendell, Nick or Adam. I stopped watching cos I felt that season was rigged for Ben to win and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I felt like Natalie found that idol way too easily, the path was marked out for her! Does this mean that there will be idol drops every week? Seems a bit unneccesary. I'm glad Amber was voted out. She is a wet fish and isn't a great player. It was fun to see Kim on the outs, panicking unlike her winning season. Michelle seemed totally on the outs, but I would like to see her do well as she is a quiet unflashy player. Yul did impress me, he hasn't aged a bit and seems even smarter than before. He chose well to side with Sophie. I don't think Parvati will do well. She seems to have aged a lot in the past 10 years, and to see her blubbing about leaving her kid behind, no one wants to hear that. I think she sided with Rob because they must have a pregame alliance. But the both of them seem to think they are much better players than the rest of them, which they aren't. Just more famous.

I was impressed with how Danni managed to deal with Rob when he came up to her demanding to know if she threw his name out. She didn't flinch and was able to turn it around in her favour. The players that impressed me were: Danni, Yul & Sophie.

How this situation was turned around was more to do with Rob's weakness than how she responded. His comments to the camera saying it was a good move by her was more about him protecting his ego by not admitting he was struggling for numbers, feeling the pressure, and needing her. If he was in a powerful position he'd have cut her out no matter her response.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have loved to see Hatch on it just for the sh1t he would have caused he is get TV.

Survivor Champ Richard Hatch Says Show 'Made a Horrendous Mistake' Excluding Him From Winners at War
    Survivor premiered its 40th season Wednesday with 20 former champions competing for a doubled prize of $2 million. While many of the show’s famous faces are back in action, one particular winner — Season 1 victor Richard Hatch — is conspicuously missing.

In a promotional interview for the new Winners at War season, Survivor host and executive producer Jeff Probst said, “I didn’t feel comfortable having him out on the show and representing a show that is for families,” possibly alluding to Hatch’s affinity for nudity.

Probst also told Us Weekly that he wasn’t sure Hatch had ever seriously been in the conversation for a spot in the Season 40 cast. “The bigger consideration was ‘Where is the show now?’ and ‘Do these 20 winners represent the show today?'” he said. “In that sense, we didn’t feel that Rich fit into the equation.”

Hatch, not surprisingly, disagrees. “Everybody knows the original winner ought to be on Season 40. I should’ve been on,” he said in a recent YouTube video, before contending that he was asked to participate in the all-winners season and completed the entire casting process. “I was told I was the only one who every single producer said they wanted [on the show]. I was golden,” Hatch alleges.

Hatch, who claims he withdrew from a PhD program to participate, says that two days before he was set to fly out to the location, he and Survivor: Australian Outback winner Tina Wesson received phone calls saying “things have been paused.”

Hatch speculates that last fall’s Survivor: Island of the Idols sexual harassment controversy likely doomed his chances to appear return to the game. “During the filming of Season 39, when they recognized things were going to be touchy with respect to sexual harassment, etc., they wondered what it would be like for me, who is a bold figure on the show, to participate in Season 40 and for those conversations to potentially be continued,” said Hatch. “I think they made a horrendous mistake in deciding to change their plan and to remove me from the cast. There’s no sexual harassment in my past.”

Hatch’s Borneo season, which aired in the summer of 2000, was watched by more than 50 million people and became a cultural phenomenon worldwide. Hatch paved the way for reality TV villains and helped lay the foundation for alliance-building and strategy not only for Survivor, but for all subsequent competition series. He also received attention for being openly gay. He played again in Survivor: All-Stars where he appeared to rub against fellow Borneo contestant Sue Hawk while nude during a challenge. Hawk quit the game, but later appeared on The Early Show with Hatch where she said the network helped deal with the situation and that she and Hatch had “come to terms with it and agreed to move forward and past it.”

In a recent tweet, Hatch slammed the “salacious editing” of All-Stars by CBS, adding that the network was “trying to scapegoat me to avoid their own responsibility for the travesty that was last season’s mishandled scenario.”

Hatch is no stranger to controversy. In 2006, he was sentenced to 51 months in federal prison for failing to pay taxes on his winning check and other income. He served three years in 2009 and an additional nine months in 2011 for not amending his 2000 and 2001 tax returns, according to Forbes.

https://tvline.com/2020/02/13/richard-hatch-survivor-winners-at-war-season-40/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never realised he managed to get sent down twice on separate occasions for the same tax fraud, what a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Strong opener by the way, cant complain about that apart from handing the idol to her on the path as previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I can live with Idols being easily found on EoE if it means no Idols are hidden on the main island especially if it means that you can't simply go running around looking for Idols at the back end of the game, make a fire and all of a sudden you are in the final 3.

If Idols can only be gifted from / purchased on EoE it places a bit more weight on the social game which I've no issue with at all.

Also looks like someone arriving late to EoE will have more tokens and is then more likely to afford the advantage to get back into the game which could only be a good thing.

PS: strong opener, cracking cast, wanted Natalie to go deep.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I can live with Idols being easily found on EoE if it means no Idols are hidden on the main island especially if it means that you can't simply go running around looking for Idols at the back end of the game, make a fire and all of a sudden you are in the final 3.

If Idols can only be gifted from / purchased on EoE it places a bit more weight on the social game which I've no issue with at all.

Also looks like someone arriving late to EoE will have more tokens and is then more likely to afford the advantage to get back into the game which could only be a good thing.

PS: strong opener, cracking cast, wanted Natalie to go deep.

Not sure I necessarily agree with that logic regarding the idols. In some cases it could reward good social game but more likely they will get them for just being on the wrong side of the numbers or for simply being a weak player (in order to keep idols away from strong ones).

I don't mind the odd gift but my preference is always for contestants to earn their advantages. It takes a level of skill and risk to find an idol around camp. What did Sandra do for hers, she didn't even speak to Natlie during the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The HIIs popping up all over the shop,advantages bought via fire tokens was irksome.

Having an ally on the Edge of Extinction is proving mutually beneficial.

Incredulous that Denise considered gifting gifting Pavarti one half of her HII but Adam is quite the savvy player and talked some sense into her.

Tony is such an entertaining player.Himself and Sara make a powerful combination.Bad read by Kim re Sophie.Cops are us.:D

Serious meltdown from Rob in the IC.

The unquestioning nature of Rob's position as top dog is astonishing.Time for the new school post Danni's self destructive big reveal to take out a Pavarti or Rob.

• Advertisement

Yeah, far too much coverage off HII's and the Main Island/EOE economy in this weeks episode. It's too much when you've got a cast as strong as this.

Amusing how nobody wants to really work with Ben as he's too much of a wildcard.

Was Nick even in a single shot this week outside of TC?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Sick of Edge of Extinction already- does this mean that every week, a really powerful advantage will enter the main game? That's crazy. They're could be 10 immunity idols or similar in the game by the time the merge comes around. Why didn't they do a back to basics this season, especially considering that it's all winners. It's not like we would be bored with these people- they are all above average players.

Danni really torpedoed her game didn't she. I wonder if she really was on the outs though and they didn't show more conversations. Because she said since she was in the "old school" alliance following a chat with Boston Rob on Day 1 and that she hadn't heard anything else about that alliance since then. And even Parvati hadn't spoken to her since Day 1. I'd be paranoid too.

Boston Rob and Parvati's pregame alliance is strong! They definitely met up and organised this. I'd love if the merge happened really early, like at 13 players.

I watched episode 2 last night and have to say I found it a little boring. Seems far too easy to find idols although in fairness I'm sure they spend hours searching.

Really hating the fire tokens. I mean idols/advantages seem to be like sweets and anytime Amber can sell something she will offer it to Rob (assuming he still has fire tokens - we know he has 2 at the moment). Seems so unfair.

Anyone know what happens if someone receives an option to buy an item but they don't have enough tokens - can they then ask someone else for theirs (obviously risk in this but I wonder if it is allowed)

So far I was hoping for a truly epic season but I have yet to see it unfortunately.

To get the fire token 'economy' to work they now have to keep dumping advantages from EoE.

I don't like the concept but if they really felt the need to bring it in then I'd much prefer if they started much smaller with what they were offering - like by solving a clue on EoE they could send over a tarp and the person it went to then had to decide whether to be selfish and keep their token or get a tarp for the tribe. Other smaller gifts could be chocolate/burgers/etc before after a few weeks building up to bigger advantages, like idols. It would be like the auction, where you could regret spending your tokens earlier.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    To get the fire token 'economy' to work they now have to keep dumping advantages from EoE.

I don't like the concept but if they really felt the need to bring it in then I'd much prefer if they started much smaller with what they were offering - like by solving a clue on EoE they could send over a tarp and the person it went to then had to decide whether to be selfish and keep their token or get a tarp for the tribe. Other smaller gifts could be chocolate/burgers/etc before after a few weeks building up to bigger advantages, like idols. It would be like the auction, where you could regret spending your tokens earlier.

You should be on the production team! Excellent ideas :)

Fingers crossed next week isn't "For one fire token you can get a guaranteed spot at the final 3"

Episode 3 - enjoyed this episode and the likes of Sarah having to go to the other camp to get the steal a vote advantage. This is how difficult getting advantages through fire tokens should be!!

Can't believe Adam is playing such a silly game, why the hell are you telling everyone all of your alliances plans? Idiot!

Good move getting Ethan out of the trio. Definitely the easiest to target from that group. Hopefully Rob and Parvati are now on edge although I doubt it.

kingtut wrote: »
    Episode 3 - enjoyed this episode and the likes of Sarah having to go to the other camp to get the steal a vote advantage. This is how difficult getting advantages through fire tokens should be!!

Can't believe Adam is playing such a silly game, why the hell are you telling everyone all of your alliances plans? Idiot!

Good move getting Ethan out of the trio. Definitely the easiest to target from that group. Hopefully Rob and Parvati are now on edge although I doubt it.

That move by Adam was very strange. When he was doing it I presumed he must have told most of the rest of his alliance that he planned to inform Rob. Rob is the type of player with no fear in going to tell others and the contestants this season aren't going to take that type of blatant playing both sides.

Great move by the others to take out one of the three rather than Adam though. That trio was much more dangerous, especially with the likelihood of a lot of tribe swaps this season.

The look of surprise on Adam's face at tribal priceless.Trying to play both sides.

Delighted the old school trio got split up.Too much of a Godfather vibe off of Rob.Do as I say,rule by diktat.

Hopefully Sandra will be targeted too.Tad surprised Yul wants did not want to for more basic reasons.She's a dangerous,unpredictable player with her propensity to spread misinformation.Did she not sit out the previous IC too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The "double" sit out rule only comes into effect when there's a seperate reward challenge afaik

I thought the same but then assumed she did the puzzle last week which I don't remember vividly.

A "no back to back sit out" rule that only applies when reward challenges are involved is very silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

seligehgit wrote: »
    Did she not sit out the previous IC too?

Two in a row so far.

The preview for next weeks episode leads me to believe that Dakal loses immunity.

Gobb wrote: »
    The preview for next weeks episode leads me to believe that Dakal loses immunity.

Seemed to be a bit of foreboding in Yul's commentary at the start pointing to same.Usual Lord of the Flies vibe.

Respect to Ethan for completing that most arduous of tasks for a measly fire token.TBF Natalie is an absolute physical beast.

Adam goes from zero to hero.Some come from behind win.

Beyond a joke Sandra sitting out another IC.How is it even fair at this stage?"It's shady and it's a lie" Sandra takes the high moral ground.Sandra "I'm happy as long as my name is not put down on the parchment".:rolleyes:

Tyson and Tony are royal entertainment,Survivor royalty so to speak.

It'll be interesting to see how the arch strategist Yul reacts if his alliance are on the wrong side of the numbers and are at the wrong end of a blindside.

Far too much EoE this episode, not enough classic Survivor.

My god that was a gruelling task on EOE! Seems like it was even more physical than some of the immunity challenges! I was hoping at the end they would realise that they miss read it and it would say "You can carry as many logs as you like each trip" lol

All EOE challenges should be as tough as that!!

Good move getting rid of Tyson although I'm really hoping that Sandra, Parvati and Rob go soon. They would be foolish to let them get to the end.

Would have been very interesting had Amber still been in the game and they ended up on the same tribe after the merge swap.

Three in a row...

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Far too much EoE this episode, not enough classic Survivor.

Most likely setting up yet another survivor win from someone that built major bonds with jury members on EoE.

Gobb wrote: »
    Most likely setting up yet another survivor win from someone that built major bonds with jury members on EoE.

Again producers are damned if they do and damned if they dont here. If they only devote a small piece of time to EoE then the audience will say the challenge was too easy (I've been there already this season) but if they focus too much then people also complain.

They hedged their bets by having EoE in case one of the biggest names went out early. It is hard to know what we're missing at camp but the whole Ethan thing was interesting, give his health issues overexertion could have ended his game.

I'm skeptical about there being an EoE winner, as I don't see the older players respecting it as much, though bonds created there could change that.

Delighted Rob is gone.

Pretty awkward for Michelle and Wendell.

Sympathies more so lay with Michelle as Wendell is quite the locked vault.

Sad to hear the news re Jonathon Penner's wife,Yul bringing a touch of humanity to the proceedings.

Any unlikely pair to become buddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

seligehgit wrote: »
    Delighted Rob is gone.
    s.

Didn't think they would have the ⚽️⚽️⚽️ to do it!

Advertisement