Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Winners at War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

kingtut wrote: »
    Just kidding - I wanted to make out like those who skipped the first 15 or so minutes missed out on something special lol :D
    Woooosh, I had a feeling there was some joke going over my head.

20 minutes was too long for the family visit but at the same time I think if they're ever going to do an extended version, now is the time. Feels like I knew a fair chunk of the visitors.

Sad to see Tyson go and it felt like the votes were going his direction. Not sure if there's any player I like more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBF based on Survivor he's a ridiculously nice guy,supreme athlete and one of all time greats of Survivor.

Lest we forget his wicked sense of humour.I can still recall him running around in the nip on Tocantins.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

KevinK wrote: »
    Not usually a fan of the family visit, and not impressed that it took up 21 minutes of the episode. But I guess it was good tv and I still enjoyed somewhat.

Even if Jeremy stayed his side still would have lost and it could have been him. So good move I guess.

Feel like the majority messed up the vote split. Fell like they went 4-2 rather than 3-3. If Michelle had stayed loyal and Kim had guessed right with the idol the the tables could have been turned.

Feel like Kim should have played the idol for herself or just held onto it. If the majority had split 3-3 and voted together at the revote then there was no way her side could have come out on stop (and of course this is without Michelle flipping).

My thoughts are very similar to this.

I'm not normally one to enjoy the loved ones visit but despite it taking up so much time I quite enjoyed it. Not sure if that was due to feeling more connected to the contestants or the current situation we're finding ourselves in. Actually wouldn't be surprised if the current situation we're facing caused them to expand the time spent on it.

Agree that vote split made no sense. It must have been either a mix up during the tribal whispers or, more likely, Sarah didn't tell the whole group about her advantage and ended up playing it incorrectly. She has never been a great strategic mind. They really got lucky that it didn't blow up in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

That was a terrible episode.

Family visits are the worst part of Survivor and all the whispering at Tribal council does my head in.

The only bit I enjoyed was Tony winning immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Annani

Felt sorry for Tyson.

He was so gutted to be sent to EOE again.

Thought tribal was a bit of a letdown after Adams big move last week!

The constant whispering is getting annoying as we as the viewers can’t hear what they are saying and they are not showing much strategising in the edit.

At the moment the only one I like left is Tony.

I hope there is a good twist coming with so many good players on EOE.

Wonder what the fire tokens will be used for at the end?

• Advertisement

Annani wrote: »
    The constant whispering is getting annoying as we as the viewers can’t hear what they are saying and they are not showing much strategising in the edit.
    This episode really highlighted how the novelty of this has well and truly worn out and they need to do something about it.

15 minutes of an extended loved ones visit for those on the main island
    5 minutes of an EoE version that should be an online only extra
    5 minutes of strategy which doesn't actually show us anything about how these supposed two groups of 5
    formed
    2 minutes of Probst asking questions at tribal
    5 minutes of whispering where we have no idea what's going on in terms of strategy
    3 minutes of advantage stand off and playing
    5 minutes of voting and announcing the result with no insight into why Michelle flipped

That does not make a good episode of survivor.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    This episode really highlighted how the novelty of this has well and truly worn out and they need to do something about it.

15 minutes of an extended loved ones visit for those on the main island
    5 minutes of an EoE version that should be an online only extra
    5 minutes of strategy which doesn't actually show us anything about how these supposed two groups of 5
    formed
    2 minutes of Probst asking questions at tribal
    5 minutes of whispering where we have no idea what's going on in terms of strategy
    3 minutes of advantage stand off and playing
    5 minutes of voting and announcing the result with no insight into why Michelle flipped

That does not make a good episode of survivor.

I understand the complaints about the loved ones but I don't get the rest, most of the other things are pretty common with the show for years.

We've seen over the last few seasons that voting blocks appear and move quickly, there doesn't need to be some larger story arc to why they came about. Many times it is as simple as being at the right place and time.

In this case it is pretty clear already though how things came about, Tony is tight with Ben and Sarah, Sarah is tight with Sophie, and Nick was on the bottom and open to join anyone. All the others were voting with the larger group previously but didn't have any close alliances, which they stated during the episode. Jeremy trying to split up Sarah and Sophie made Tony draw battle lines.

As for whispering, I'm not sure what you feel you're missing. They give us some pieces but we only get some pieces of info prior to tribal, otherwise there is no suspense.

On the Michelle flip, this happens in every season, in some cases several times a season. Someone that knows they're going to lose a vote will throw a vote on someone else for the small chance it improves their likelihood of not going home or ingratiates them with the majority. If it is important they'll find a way to mention it next week.

I understand people preferring the old days, where people switching alliances happened once or twice a season and there was a big narrative built around it but during rewatches it can be a struggle when there is several weeks in a row of a dominate alliance picking off others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wonder if Covid will kill off Survivor for good? Definitely wont be a quick wait for the next season like we're used to anyway.

Forgot all about the IC in my exaggerated episode breakdown. As others said, it was enjoyable.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    In this case it is pretty clear already though how things came about, Tony is tight with Ben and Sarah, Sarah is tight with Sophie, and Nick was on the bottom and open to join anyone. All the others were voting with the larger group previously but didn't have any close alliances, which they stated during the episode. Jeremy trying to split up Sarah and Sophie made Tony draw battle lines.

I understand people preferring the old days, where people switching alliances happened once or twice a season and there was a big narrative built around it but during rewatches it can be a struggle when there is several weeks in a row of a dominate alliance picking off others.
    I have no issue with the move away from the season long alliances of the past to the newer style of "voting blocks". I do on the other hand dislike the fact that a moment such as Tony drawing battle lines, as you correctly put it, is left on the editing floor and instead we got extreme close ups of Parvati making out with her partner on EoE.

The whispering just annoyed me after an episode so short of strategy. I don't find it in any way suspenseful at all and is happening far too often.

Forgot all about the IC in my exaggerated episode breakdown. As others said, it was enjoyable.

I have no issue with the move away from the season long alliances of the past to the newer style of "voting blocks". I do on the other hand dislike the fact that a moment such as Tony drawing battle lines, as you correctly put it, is left on the editing floor and instead we got extreme close ups of Parvati making out with her partner on EoE.

The whispering just annoyed me after an episode so short of strategy. I don't find it in any way suspenseful at all and is happening far too often.

But we saw Tony doing that, when he said to the boys that they should go after Jeremy when Kim called him over on the beach. Tony then got Sarah, and therefore Sophie, onside by telling her Jeremy was gunning for one of them. They then showed the others together on the beach saying that they were all on the outs and should band together.

They didn't show a lot of scrambling, like they do in most episodes, but what we needed to know was there. You're obviously well within your rights to dislike the time spent on the loved ones visit but you can't pretend things weren't in the episode that clearly were.

If you're regularly not finding it suspenseful I'd argue it is more down to your own survivor fatigue than anything else. I see a theme from some posters pining for the 'good old days' but on rewatch of old seasons I struggle to connect the dots of what the complaints about current seasons are, especially when things like suspense are mentioned.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I wonder if Covid will kill off Survivor for good? Definitely wont be a quick wait for the next season like we're used to anyway.

Not sure why it would. It still pulls good ratings and is not that expensive to make.

As far as COIVD, when things settle down they'll probably need to keep cast and crew in isolation for a week before the season begins. If anything, it should be a lot easier to get back to filming a lot of other shows and movies, where cast and crew are based in cities and interact with so many outside people when they aren't filming. Fiji also so far hasn't been hit too badly by it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    But we saw Tony doing that, when he said to the boys that they should go after Jeremy when Kim called him over on the beach. Tony then got Sarah, and therefore Sophie, onside by telling her Jeremy was gunning for one of them. They then showed the others together on the beach saying that they were all on the outs and should band together.

They didn't show a lot of scrambling, like they do in most episodes, but what we needed to know was there. You're obviously well within your rights to dislike the time spent on the loved ones visit but you can't pretend things weren't in the episode that clearly were.

If you're regularly not finding it suspenseful I'd argue it is more down to your own survivor fatigue than anything else. I see a theme from some posters pining for the 'good old days' but on rewatch of old seasons I struggle to connect the dots of what the complaints about current seasons are, especially when things like suspense are mentioned.
    Fair enough, I get that they summed up the 'strategy' of the week in 3 or so scenes (as that's all they had time for). I just wanted to see more, a confessional from Tony deliberating on the decision to turn his back on the players he had been close with over the previous few weeks. It's quite possible Tony gets voted out next week and this voting block of 5 disintegrates and they felt they could condense the above story line.

I often feel shortchanged when it comes to some of this stuff so it's obvious I'm going to feel more so in an episode that features the extended love ones visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tony is such a chaotic unintentional genius :)

WjRDn37.gif

Vintage Tony!

How on earth he managed to acquire those three fire tokens I'll never know.:D

Only joking.

Was it the best move for him ultimately when he was in a comfortable 5 person alliance?

There's bound to be a backlash.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Vintage Tony!

How on earth he managed to acquire those three fire tokens I'll never know.:D

Only joking.

Was it the best move for him ultimately when he was in a comfortable 5 person alliance?

There's bound to be a backlash.

It was good from a viewer perspective but it really doesn't seem like a wise move. He went from a very solid position with the 5, being the link between the girls and the guys, to now being in a 4 with people who don't seem to have any loyalty to him, aside from Nick. Even if Kim and Denise come back with Jeremy and Michele, then Tony will be still much closer to the bottom.

Now that's an episode of survivor. The solid 5 of last week didn't hold strong for too long so maybe there's some justification for not dwelling on it last week. However, I do think this episode highlights how damn enjoyable the show can be when you've got a character like Tony narrating the show with confessionals like that. The guy is fantastic TV and I'm sure he had plenty to say about his decision to side with his little group last week.

I'm still confused as to what happened with Michelle as she started this episode saying how she was out of the loop at the last TC, voted for Tyson but was still clearly eager to work with those who found themselves on the wrong side of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Annani

Just watched it,

Great episode.

I was shouting at the tv for them not to vote Ben out! That didn’t happen the year he won lol.

Best player this week was Michelle. She is playing an amazing game.

Annani wrote: »
    Just watched it,

Great episode.

I was shouting at the tv for them not to vote Ben out! That didn’t happen the year he won lol.

Best player this week was Michelle. She is playing an amazing game.

Complete opposite feeling about Michele. To me she is just floating along due to no one seeing her as a threat. Groups bring her in as an easy vote. At least the likes of Nick, Kim, and Denise are playing offense from the bottom whereas she is driving nothing.

If she is brought to the final this jury will eviscerate her.

I thought she was playing a good game early on but based on recent episodes I agree that she's on the fringes of everything and has no chance of winning. In saying that, I thought she had no chance of winning her original season. I do think this season has shown how good her social game is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Had Jeremy went, then the girls are in the majority. Denise and Kim showed there loyalty to Sophie and Sarah by voting him and I think going forward they would have targeted the Tonys and Bens. Sophie leaving tokens to Kim shows how close they were. I think had Jeremy went, there was no way that core 5 weren't turning on eachother in the next week or two. Rather than voting Michelle next tribal which would have been an easy vote, they'd all be looking at using her as a number and even potentially dragging her to the end.

I think once Jeremy went, Tony was screwed. Now I'm not saying Tonys any better off with that mad move and has probably made himself a bigger target than ever but I still understand where he was coming from. Hes weakened Sarah massively and Jeremy, Michelle and Nick probably need him more than ever.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's necessarily a bad move either although it's most definitely a risky one. Always seems like a mistake to vote out someone who is working with you, and was interesting that Kim could see right through the original plan.

I think it's success will depend on how pissed Sarah is, if she takes it on the chin and continues to work with Tony for a few votes then we could be looking back at this as the pivotal move of the season. I can't see her turning her back on Tony just yet and with Nick and Jeremy both pretty reliant on him now too he's in a good position.

He did a very similar move at a similar stage back in cagayan too. How many tribals is he 100% vulnerable for at this stage? 3?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad move either although it's most definitely a risky one. Always seems like a mistake to vote out someone who is working with you, and was interesting that Kim could see right through the original plan.

I think it's success will depend on how pissed Sarah is, if she takes it on the chin and continues to work with Tony for a few votes then we could be looking back at this as the pivotal move of the season. I can't see her turning her back on Tony just yet and with Nick and Jeremy both pretty reliant on him now too he's in a good position.

He did a very similar move at a similar stage back in cagayan too. How many tribals is he 100% vulnerable for at this stage? 3?

Kim is a very astute player.She can see right through Tony's modus operandi of playing both sides.:D

It's going to be very interesting to see how peeved off Sarah is considering how tight historically she's always been with Tony for all manner of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I think Michelle is kind of just floating now, she will probably get to the end and not receive any votes to win. Unless she can mix it up a bit at the very end- maybe her 50/50 coin will help. I kind of want to see Kim just battle someone, everyone is playing to nicey nicey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tony is such a chaotic unintentional genius :)

WjRDn37.gif
    He's hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tony is dominating fair play to him.

Giving up immunity for chocolate or a fire token has to be the stupidest things ever you don’t deserve $2m after that kind of decision.

TBF Nick knew full he'd zero chance of beating Tony.

Mind boggling Kim giving up her chance of winning immunity.

I thought the edit strongly indicated she was going to go.She took a big chance with her move against Tony but it backfired.

I can't understand Ben's thought process tunnel vision when it comes to seeing Jeremy as this all encompassing threat to him in terms of getting the win.

Loved Denise shutdown of Jeremy's final attempt at yet more mindless and going around in circles strategising at TC.

Had to laugh at Nick's "I'm trying to remember" quip.As though Tony would'nt see right through that.

Tony,Sara and Ben could be the final three unless Ben falls out with them.I could totally get Ben's natural knee jerk reaction to hide the HII but under the nose of Tony of all people.:D

All in all a fantastic episode.

Natalie and Sophie bossed the lads over on the Edge of Extinction.Fair play.

I was not expecting Sophie to be so athletic.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was a great episode.

Denise was the viewers' proxy when she shut down that TC strategising. It's getting tiresome. :o

Two hours of heaven next week!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

How Tony managed to switch the votes to Kim and be confident enough to tell Jeremy not to use his advantage. Michelle is so lost out there with the big guns, gives Jeremy the advantage but still votes for him because she wants to solidify her place in the majority only to end up on the wrong side of the votes.

I said last week, that I could understand why Tony made the moves he did and now when you see the 2 he has taken out, it looks great even if it looked questionable at the time. Kim would have been someone I thought had a great chance coming into this season, very smart player without the heat of a Rob or Parvatti. And Sophie was probably one of the more surprising players of the season, didn't expect much but she was playing a very strong game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

I like the challenges on EOE this season. It was very boring last season when they just sat around all day doing nothing. I would like to see Natalie return to the game she was very impressive in the challenges and I think she deserves another shot.

Advertisement