Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Survivor: Winners at War

Options
  • 14-01-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Season 40 is only 29 days away and I can't wait!
    I personally would have preferred if it was only one time winners but oh well.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out and if any of the winners end up making stupid moves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Here they are.
    survivor-season-40-Talent-recap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm liking the fact that they're going down the route of Edge of Extinction. It seems ideal for a returners season, certainly from an entertainment perspective.

Also curious to see how this currency mixes things up. Adds in what could be an exciting element that leads to less reliance on idols to provoke drama going forward. Not sure if it'll have a similar impact to the concept of Garnets within the Korean show The Genius, if anyone has watched that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It should be epic.The Survivor equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm liking the fact that they're going down the route of Edge of Extinction. It seems ideal for a returners season, certainly from an entertainment perspective.

Absolutely. It was horrible for a new player season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

2 weeks to go!

This is going to be an epic season imo, how could it not be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

Thargor wrote: »
    2 weeks to go!

This is going to be an epic season imo, how could it not be?

I'm debating whether it's mentally possible to binge all of the winner's seasons before then.

Gobb wrote: »
    I'm debating whether it's mentally possible to binge all of the winner's seasons before then.
    I thought the same thing the minute Jeff announced it but I have so much other new stuff to watch I cant justify it, Youtube recaps are your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Australian one starts Monday - Survivor All Stars!
    Will be getting myself confused with the contestants watching both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'll be watching, but cant help but feel its lost some of its lustre as a show. Perhaps its just me, I personally love the challenges for immunity once merge happens, and seeing them struggle with hunger in camp, I find its gone too far the other way and the surviving has become more about the politics and the vote out which seems to get more and more air time than the rest but thats just my opinion.

One of my all time favourite immunity challenges was way back in the ITV series, they all had to stand on a pole in the ocean, cant remember how long it went but it was something crazy longest ever challenge if I can recall

I want to see more stamina challenges lets see who wants it most, rather than some of the skills and puzzle ones
    that often see a random winner, I wanna see them so hungry they argue and have to survive, make the mind not so sharp
    as you're starving

I'm the opposite. Bring on the in game currency. The less food they have, the less energy they have, the less game play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm the opposite. Bring on the in game currency. The less food they have, the less energy they have, the less game play.
    and thats one of its greatest assets, we all watch for something different from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They should bring back the eating trials. Used to love those ;)

Dovies wrote: »
    They should bring back the eating trials. Used to love those ;)
    And the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Out of curiosity has TG4 stopped showing Survivor? Search for it occasionally on the Sky app and it never seems to be on any channel but TG4 used to show it fairly regularly up to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI there was an episode on last night called "Survivor S40E00 Greatest Moments and Players".

Mr E wrote: »
    FYI there was an episode on last night called "Survivor S40E00 Greatest Moments and Players".

What channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In the States. Same channel as the main show I assume.

In the States. Same channel as the main show I assume.

Thanks.

My bads,I wrongly presumed you had viewed it.:)

That retrospective and mini preview certainly did the job of whetting the appetite. Thanks for the heads up.

That retrospective and mini preview certainly did the job of whetting the appetite. Thanks for the heads up.

Hoping to get a look at it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I heard about that but haven't found any links yet ... I guess I'll search my usual sites for S40E00 ;) cheers!

kingtut wrote: »
    I heard about that but haven't found any links yet ... I guess I'll search my usual sites for S40E00 ;) cheers!

Cracking warm up.

Probably a little bit short of material from the earlier seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed the retrospective - between that and the first few episodes of Australian Survivor All-Stars, I'm more excited about Survivor in general, than I have been in years, so really looking forward to Winners At War.

Still haven't watched the retrospective, maybe I will tonight.

Survivor airs tomorrow!!!! :D:D:D:D

Watched the retrospective and it was entertaining but they could have included so much more. I would have liked if they had included the craziest/worst/best moves for all of the winners appearing on S40.

Speaking of S40 .... no more sleeps. It starts tonight!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

For anyone looking to binge on similar stuff for the day I would strongly recommend the YouTube channel from Peridiam. There's a good two hours of content to watch related to the upcoming season.

So I starting watching live last night (1am start) but fell asleep at 2am. Seems entertaining enough so far but with some rookie mistakes already showing (very surprised). Looking forward to finishing it later and see who from the losing tribe goes home.

Wow the survivor premiere truly lived up to all the hype.Simply epic.

I did not truly give credit to how strong a player Natalie is.Her swimming ability and physical strength were awesome to witness.Very unlucky to be voted out due to her tightness to Jeremy.Impressive in her attainment of the HII.Bizarre decision to give the Queen same?

Tyson is one of my favourite players but is in trouble due to his likeability,several appearances and past connections.

Danni does not strike me as a winner.Good call to put out Rob's name for a first vote out but she did not anticipate Ben throwing her under the bus.She dug herself out of a hole by telling the truth and subsequently aligned with Rob's older era alliance.

Sophie has aligned herself with Yul and the others outside of the so called poker alliance and the Tony/Sarah alliance.This alliance has potential to dominate this tribe.

Jeremy is now a tad on the outs after Natalie's vote out,we never did get to see Ben disclose to him who was the mastermind behind the vote.

LOL at Sandra taking such umbrage at Boston Rob's failure to disclose his partaking whilst they were hitched up on the Island of the Idols last season.I can't hide my dislike for her and I'm happily in the camp that she's the most over rated of 2 time winners.She won both seasons simply by spreading rumour,innuendo,lies and a small smattering of truths.She won season 20 simply because Hantz was disliked so much and Parvati was guilty by association.Amber could barely hide her dislike for her after Sandra's in all probability truth that Amber was no longer up to the pace of the game nor likely ruthless enough.She has a huge target on her back from Amber's better half's direction.

Disappointed with Ben,I can't understand why he chose to disclose Dani's intentions to Rob other than he was awe struck or to try to buy some loyalty.But he ended up doing it in a half assed fashion with his initial reluctance to name the person who threw Rob's name out.He got well and truly schooled by Rob.A lesson hard learned.Thankfully he subsequently came to the realisation of the error of his ways and the need for a solid alliance to counteract Rob's preeminence.

I am afraid Michelle appears to be largely lost at sea and was on the outs on the initial vote out.She readily admits she would have scant appearances on any venn diagrams outlining friendships/connections.She will be an early vote out or a goat.

Wendell is a part of what appears to be a solid alliance and is very sociable and can built a shelter.He has all the attributes required to progress deep into the game.

Adam made the schoolboy error of immediately post arrival at camp heading/scampering off for water with Denise and getting lost.:D Nothing surer to put a target on your back.Both parties seem to have survived this miscalculation.

Yul is truly on of the great thinkers of this game and although he admitted it is a long time since he has played he still has so solid a game in his tank.He revealed all re the now infamous poker game and the multitude of connections that return players possess of.I can only imagine he watched back all the seasons to connect all the dots/make sense of all the venn diagrams and kept afoot of any celebrity survivor reunions.Although I was devastated when Ozzy lost the vote to him on Cook Island I could'nt and still can't but admire his game intelligence.An early favourite for me.He is in remarkably good shape for somebody who has not played in over 10 years.

Sarah is tight with Tony and is a player to be respected with a strong physical,strategic game with a touch of ruthlessness.She has not got a big edit thus far.

Amber was a real sweetheart in her first 2 seasons and I do not believe much has changed.Except the game is now more frenetic and there some many new additions Advantages,Fire Tokens,Idol Neutralisers,Island of Extinction.She could not get the stench of the poker alliance/part of a pair off her back.Good call to vote her out.

Boston Rob was quite amazingly not voted out at the initial vote.Great kudos to his brilliance.He absolutely schooled Ben who fell at his feet which are unbelievably made of clay.Through a mixture of intimidation and forthrightness he got Dani on side for his alliance.Not the first time such strong armed tactics have worked,although same will not work against a stronger character.Yet his tribe that should vote him out so badly need him.He virtually singlehandedly drove them to an unlikely come from behind victory in the second IC.His locking horns with Sandra will be awesome.His brilliance as a player is underlined by his ability to keep schtum re his intentions for this season whilst breaking bread with Sandra throughout the entirety of the last season.I think in the end the newer members will see sense and vote him out when the opportunity arises.He's simply too great a threat.

Parvati has come back a different player as a married mother who will no longer flirt her away to victory like a venus fly trap.To typecast her as same takes away from her previous brilliance as a player.Yet she admits she will have to perhaps approach the game from a more motherly angle and make alliances with past sworn enemies ( Rob ).

Kim was a worthy winner in her past season but the edit thus far has given her an isolated and distant role.She seems pigeon holed into the poker alliance and appears unilkely to be in a position to strategise her way out of an early exit.

Tony is one of my favourite machiavellian type players,I was a huge fan of Hantz.It's only a game lol.He was a worthy winner of his season but only won out of a friendship that all but doomed Woo to certain loss.No doubts he was the best player that season.He locked horns upon his return and I'm in no way convinced the claimed ceasefire is anything more than a facade.He has tried to rein in his urge to scamper off looking for HIIs and strategise at every opportunity but a leopard never changes his spots and he will revert back to playing hard when necessary as he rightly told Amber when she called him out.I think his willingness to play hard will ultimately prove his downfall.It appears he survived the ladder!

Nick is one of the more recent winners and same is an advantage in terms of the type of gameplay required.He is part of a power alliance yet there is a perception he is a bit devious.

Great to see Ethan from Africa living life full as part of the Survivor experience.A welcome distraction from thoughts of one's mortality and fears of relapse.He's a part of Rob's alliance but I can not see him surviving deep into the game.

TBH i am not that mad on these fire tokens,buy a pizza and a few other silly ones.Yet as I think Nick mentioned the ability to use them correctly could be very important in terms of the game's outcome.

Again I am not sold on the Island of Extinction.I do not think it worked particularly well previously and ultimately a vote out should mean your torch is snuffed once and for all.

Interesting conversation re survivor(s) Amber/Sandra willingness to sacrifice friendships for the 2 million bucks.All these guys presumably are still millionaires post their initial win and monies made post same from endorsements,celebrity appearances.

Amber still has two shots are the 2 million bucks and will at least not have to sacrifice one friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wow the survivor premiere truly lived up to all the hype.Simply epic.

I did not truly give credit to how strong a player Natalie is.Her swimming ability and physical strength were awesome to witness.Very unlucky to be voted out due to her tightness to Jeremy.Impressive in her attainment of the HII.Bizarre decision to give the Queen same?

Tyson is one of my favourite players but is in trouble due to his likeability,several appearances and past connections.

Danni does not strike me as a winner.Good call to put out Rob's name for a first vote out but she did not anticipate Ben throwing her under the bus.She dug herself out of a hole by telling the truth and subsequently aligned with Rob's older era alliance.

Sophie has aligned herself with Yul and the others outside of the so called poker alliance and the Tony/Sarah alliance.This alliance has potential to dominate this tribe.

Jeremy is now a tad on the outs after Natalie's vote out,we never did get to see Ben disclose to him who was the mastermind behind the vote.

LOL at Sandra taking such umbrage at Boston Rob's failure to disclose his partaking whilst they were hitched up on the Island of the Idols last season.I can't hide my dislike for her and I'm happily in the camp that she's the most over rated of 2 time winners.She won both seasons simply by spreading rumour,innuendo,lies and a small smattering of truths.She won season 20 simply because Hantz was disliked so much and Parvati was guilty by association.Amber could barely hide her dislike for her after Sandra's in all probability truth that Amber was no longer up to the pace of the game nor likely ruthless enough.She has a huge target on her back from Amber's better half's direction.

Disappointed with Ben,I can't understand why he chose to disclose Dani's intentions to Rob other than he was awe struck or to try to buy some loyalty.But he ended up doing it in a half assed fashion with his initial reluctance to name the person who threw Rob's name out.He got well and truly schooled by Rob.A lesson hard learned.Thankfully he subsequently came to the realisation of the error of his ways and the need for a solid alliance to counteract Rob's preeminence.

I am afraid Michelle appears to be largely lost at sea and was on the outs on the initial vote out.She readily admits she would have scant appearances on any venn diagrams outlining friendships/connections.She will be an early vote out or a goat.

Wendell is a part of what appears to be a solid alliance and is very sociable and can built a shelter.He has all the attributes required to progress deep into the game.

Adam made the schoolboy error of immediately post arrival at camp heading/scampering off for water with Denise and getting lost.:D Nothing surer to put a target on your back.Both parties seem to have survived this miscalculation.

Yul is truly on of the great thinkers of this game and although he admitted it is a long time since he has played he still has so solid a game in his tank.He revealed all re the now infamous poker game and the multitude of connections that return players possess of.I can only imagine he watched back all the seasons to connect all the dots/make sense of all the venn diagrams and kept afoot of any celebrity survivor reunions.Although I was devastated when Ozzy lost the vote to him on Cook Island I could'nt and still can't but admire his game intelligence.An early favourite for me.He is in remarkably good shape for somebody who has not played in over 10 years.

Sarah is tight with Tony and is a player to be respected with a strong physical,strategic game with a touch of ruthlessness.She has not got a big edit thus far.

Amber was a real sweetheart in her first 2 seasons and I do not believe much has changed.Except the game is now more frenetic and there some many new additions Advantages,Fire Tokens,Idol Neutralisers,Island of Extinction.She could not get the stench of the poker alliance/part of a pair off her back.Good call to vote her out.

Boston Rob was quite amazingly not voted out at the initial vote.Great kudos to his brilliance.He absolutely schooled Ben who fell at his feet which are unbelievably made of clay.Through a mixture of intimidation and forthrightness he got Dani on side for his alliance.Not the first time such strong armed tactics have worked,although same will not work against a stronger character.Yet his tribe that should vote him out so badly need him.He virtually singlehandedly drove them to an unlikely come from behind victory in the second IC.His locking horns with Sandra will be awesome.His brilliance as a player is underlined by his ability to keep schtum re his intentions for this season whilst breaking bread with Sandra throughout the entirety of the last season.I think in the end the newer members will see sense and vote him out when the opportunity arises.He's simply too great a threat.

Parvati has come back a different player as a married mother who will no longer flirt her away to victory like a venus fly trap.To typecast her as same takes away from her previous brilliance as a player.Yet she admits she will have to perhaps approach the game from a more motherly angle and make alliances with past sworn enemies ( Rob ).

Kim was a worthy winner in her past season but the edit thus far has given her an isolated and distant role.She seems pigeon holed into the poker alliance and appears unilkely to be in a position to strategise her way out of an early exit.

Tony is one of my favourite machiavellian type players,I was a huge fan of Hantz.It's only a game lol.He was a worthy winner of his season but only won out of a friendship that all but doomed Woo to certain loss.No doubts he was the best player that season.He locked horns upon his return and I'm in no way convinced the claimed ceasefire is anything more than a facade.He has tried to rein in his urge to scamper off looking for HIIs and strategise at every opportunity but a leopard never changes his spots and he will revert back to playing hard when necessary as he rightly told Amber when she called him out.I think his willingness to play hard will ultimately prove his downfall.It appears he survived the ladder!

Nick is one of the more recent winners and same is an advantage in terms of the type of gameplay required.He is part of a power alliance yet there is a perception he is a bit devious.

Great to see Ethan from Africa living life full as part of the Survivor experience.A welcome distraction from thoughts of one's mortality and fears of relapse.He's a part of Rob's alliance but I can not see him surviving deep into the game.

TBH i am not that mad on these fire tokens,buy a pizza and a few other silly ones.Yet as I think Nick mentioned the ability to use them correctly could be very important in terms of the game's outcome.

Again I am not sold on the Island of Extinction.I do not think it worked particularly well previously and ultimately a vote out should mean your torch is snuffed once and for all.

Interesting conversation re survivor(s) Amber/Sandra willingness to sacrifice friendships for the 2 million bucks.All these guys presumably are still millionaires post their initial win and monies made post same from endorsements,celebrity appearances.

Amber still has two shots are the 2 million bucks and will at least not have to sacrifice one friendship.

I don't think that was impressive at all. It was such a straight forward riddle and the effort wasn't that great, especially on day 3. I'd be fine if that was stage one for a 4 step clue but to hand an idol out for that is silly. For all the times I've defended the concept of HII, I'll be annoyed if this is a start of a trend where minimal effort on EoE drops an idol/advantages in the lap of someone active in the game.

Overall it was a great start to the season. It was enjoyable seeing players trying to get up to speed with changes in the game since they last played and some being a bit starstruck. Shaping up to be a fantastic season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will never understand why no one votes out Sandra and Rob first they are the best game players there.

Now Amber was voted out I want to see Rob get down and dirty.

Ethan is still a very likable guy and I would like to see him win and not just because he had cancer but because he really does seem to be a genuine human being which is rare on reality TV.

Advertisement