Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Considering that it's 12 years since the little girl went missing and this case is still in the public domain and that we are discussing it on this forum proves that the parents were correct in choosing not to take the "advice" of the Portuguese police.

That is not proof of anything tbh and a ridiculous position to arrive at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    It takes roughly 7 minutes to walk from 5A Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva(McCanns Apartment) to rua da escola primária where Smith supposedly spotted the abductor and Madeleine.

This would have indicated the abduction took place around 9:50pm as Kate realized she was missing at 10pm.

Matthew Oldfield checked the apartment around 9:30pm, heard something but thought it was possibly a child turning in their bed. (Possibly the abductor)

20 minutes for the abductor to be messing around. (Doesnt seem plausible)

So, the abductor enters sometime between 9:30 and 10pm.

Now, its important to remember, he most likely has been watching the apartment and studying the checks, every 30 mins or so. Likely he enters not long after Oldfied leaves, maybe 9:40pm. 20 minutes to do what he needs to do. Ample time.

Smith Sighting description:
    The man was mid-30s, 5 ft 7 in–5 ft 9 in (1.75–1.80 m), slim-to-normal build, with short brown hair, wearing cream or beige trousers. He did not look like a tourist, according to the Smiths, and had seemed uncomfortable carrying the child.

The gards interviewed Smith in this country, found him credible, not looking for attention. The main issue with his sighting though is that it doesn't fit the description of the false charity workers in the days before the disappearance.

The lady who spotted the man above the apartment of the McCanns spotted a man acted very stealthily on the day she dissappeared. She describes him as caucasion, light skinned, in the thirty to forty range, about 5'10 to 5'11 i height. Very very close to what Gerry McCann is.

All of this leads me to believe, more than one man was involved in this disappearance which heightens the chances of one of them cracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

pc7 wrote: »
    Straw poll ....
    ...1 - Abductor had been watching and came in the open door...

At this stage it's number 1 for me.

Would've been more suspicious of the McCann parents before but finding out the full extent of the claims of weirdos knocking about Praia changed my mind.

- The mother who came down the stairs to find a man in her house approaching her daughter. Same man had called looking for donations for a nonexistent orphanage a few days previous and was staring at the kid through the door when the mother answered.

- The story about the kid who woke up to a strange man on her bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Something Else
    This is the photofit described by Martin Smith. Does Gerry have a twin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It takes roughly 7 minutes to walk from 5A Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva(McCanns Apartment) to rua da escola primária where Smith supposedly spotted the abductor and Madeleine.

This would have indicated the abduction took place around 9:50pm as Kate realized she was missing at 10pm.

Matthew Oldfield checked the apartment around 9:30pm, heard something but thought it was possibly a child turning in their bed. (Possibly the abductor)

20 minutes for the abductor to be messing around. (Doesnt seem plausible)

So, the abductor enters sometime between 9:30 and 10pm.

Now, its important to remember, he most likely has been watching the apartment and studying the checks, every 30 mins or so. Likely he enters not long after Oldfied leaves, maybe 9:40pm. 20 minutes to do what he needs to do. Ample time.

Smith Sighting description:
    The man was mid-30s, 5 ft 7 in–5 ft 9 in (1.75–1.80 m), slim-to-normal build, with short brown hair, wearing cream or beige trousers. He did not look like a tourist, according to the Smiths, and had seemed uncomfortable carrying the child.

The gards interviewed Smith in this country, found him credible, not looking for attention. The main issue with his sighting though is that it doesn't fit the description of the false charity workers in the days before the disappearance.

The lady who spotted the man above the apartment of the McCanns spotted a man acted very stealthily on the day she dissappeared. She describes him as caucasion, light skinned, in the thirty to forty range, about 5'10 to 5'11 i height. Very very close to what Gerry McCann is.

All of this leads me to believe, more than one man was involved in this disappearance which heightens the chances of one of them cracking

Maybe Smith isn't great at judging heights?

It doesn't seem too far out anyway

Gerry McCann looks average size 5'9-5'10 range to me if Kate is 5'6-5'7

Smith photofit is the image of Gerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In fairness Mr Smith already had an image of Gerry in his head from the high profile media exposure

iamwhoiam wrote:
    In fairness Mr Smith already had an image of Gerry in his head from the high profile media exposure

Now that's impressive grasping.

Now that's impressive grasping.

I am grasping at nothing . I simply have an open mind . Do you just enjoy picking holes in every post .
    Mr Smith already knew what Gerry looked like so of course it would be a factor in his recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Spectacular memory Martin Smith has, seeing a guy with his head bowed on a dark street for a matter of seconds and being able to come up with such a detailed description.

At least the twin theory would explain how Gerry was in two places at once!

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote:
    I am grasping at nothing . I simply have an open mind . Do you just enjoy picking holes in every post . Mr Smith already knew what Gerry looked like so of course it would be a factor in his recall

Yet he claimed it was the way McCann moved that triggered his memory.

Something Else
    iamwhoiam wrote: »

I’m sure he had an image of David Beckham in his head too from the high profile media exposure, but the picture doesn’t look like Becks.

Something Else
    Spectacular memory Martin Smith has, seeing a guy with his head bowed on a dark street for a matter of seconds and being able to come up with such a detailed description.

At least the twin theory would explain how Gerry was in two places at once!

Martin Smiths receipt showed 9:55 as when they paid up. Did anyone check to make sure the bar till clock was at the correct time?? 10-15 minutes either way would make a lot of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Another questions that occurred to me.

Did the search dogs ever pick up anything on the night?

I’m sure he had an image of David Beckham in his head too from the high profile media exposure, but the picture doesn’t look like Becks.

Totally irrelevant here . Martin Smith was making a statement that he thought he might have seen Gerry not David Beckham . He made the statement about a sighting in P da L the night Madeleine went missing . Of course it affects his recall .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Why do you put so much weight in one persons eye witness testimony, eye witness testimony and photofits are very unreliable?

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Totally irrelevant here . Martin Smith was making a statement that he thought he might have seen Gerry not David Beckham . He made the statement about a sighting in P da L the night Madeleine went missing . Of course it affects his recall .

He has stuck by the claim up to recently as far as I can tell. He also went as far as to contact BBC'S Panorama programme after it claimed he recanted in a programme it broadcast. The programme accepted they were incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something Else
    Yet he claimed it was the way McCann moved that triggered his memory.

Afsik regarding the e-fit - it wasn't just Martin Smith who saw the individual carrying the child. Other members of his family also provided descriptions.

Something Else
    He has stuck by the claim up to recently as far as I can tell. He also went as far as to contact BBC'S Panorama programme after it claimed he recanted in a programme it broadcast. The programme accepted they were incorrect.

That’s disgusting how they aired that program to the nation with false information and only admitted fault discreetly after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Something Else
    Episode 4 is very good with the dogs and dna evidence.

I'd say Kate did the deed, and gerry covered up for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

TallGlass wrote: »
    Another questions that occurred to me.

Did the search dogs ever pick up anything on the night?

4 sniffer dogs arrived at 08:00 on the 4th of May and later in the evening, 4 more sniffer dogs were brought in, bringing the number to 8. http://mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GNR_SNIFFER.htm

They did appear to react at the door of an unoccupied apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Accident happened, parents hid body
    Is there any evidence to back up the romour that the big bins where collected that night at 4 am ?
    Never seen it mentioned on the docu which is odd cause that would seem the perfect way to get rid of a body

Is there any evidence to back up the romour that the big bins where collected that night at 4 am ?
    Never seen it mentioned on the docu which is odd cause that would seem the perfect way to get rid of a body

They searched in the bins before then. I am pretty sure the GNR who were searching by then would have stopped the bin crews and sent them on their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Episode 4 is very good with the dogs and dna evidence.

I'd say Kate did the deed, and gerry covered up for her.

The sniffer dogs have been discredited as reliable evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Something Else
    Well it's all adding to the suspicion of the case. Too much stuff that has to be explained away.
    Why did the McCanns delete their phone records

Well it's all adding to the suspicion of the case. Too much stuff that has to be explained away.
    Why did the McCanns delete their phone records

Gerry said it was to free up space. It's not very meaningful as deleting calls and txts has no effect on the call histories the phone providers keep for years. The PJ looked into and got those call records then followed up on the calls, finding out where they originated and where they went. I understand Gerry got a lot of automated messages from Vodafone informing him of missed calls and voice messages. It's all in the PJ files. http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/DELETED_CALLS.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something Else

If you mean the dogs Eddie and Keela then incorrect. The dogs were used to indicate the location of biological markers which were subject to further analysis. In this case the dogs alerted to both cardaver and human blood indicators. Unfortunately the amount of material collected following the use of the dogs in the area adjacent to the sofa was not sufficient to determine what kind of bodily fluid made up the DNA sample.

But, as would be later noted by the handler of sniffer dog Keela, this canine was only trained to alert to human blood, nothing else. Ditto hthe other dog Eddie which was trained to alert to the scent of human cadaverine coming from dead bodies.

With regard to the indicators detected in the car by the dogs too complex for meaningful inclusion and interpretation” due to presence of multiple genetic sequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    That they choose to ignore the police "advice", if that was their advice, is somehow an indication of their guilt? I fail to see understand your thought process.

Considering that it's 12 years since the little girl went missing and this case is still in the public domain and that we are discussing it on this forum proves that the parents were correct in choosing not to take the "advice" of the Portuguese police.

The point is that if they really believed she had been abducted, they would have given more thought to the possible consequences of mass media coverage in terms of influencing the abductor to take precipitous action and kill her.

Of course, people panicking don't always think straight, so it's not proof of anything in itself, but anyway that's the rationale of the police in recommending as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    I'd like Kate to tell us her theory about the kids being sedated in more detail

Sedative options:

-a pill, ....too slow acting
    -an injection....it was dark, too messy, would leave marks
    -a liquid on a rag of some sort....would leave an obvious odour and forensic evidence

All three options fail because there were 3 kids, the element of surprise isn't there, at least one would scream bloody murder and in every scenario the twins would remember it when they came to and blab, they could talk at that point. The only thing that makes sense for abduction is the kids being already tranquilized.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'd like Kate to tell us her theory about the kids being sedated in more detail

Sedative options:

-a pill, ....too slow acting
    -an injection....it was dark, too messy, would leave marks
    -a liquid on a rag of some sort....would leave an obvious odour and forensic evidence

All three options fail because there were 3 kids, the element of surprise isn't there, at least one would scream bloody murder and in every scenario the twins would remember it when they came to and blab, they could talk at that point. The only thing that makes sense for abduction is the kids being already tranquilized.

Unless one of the staff of the kids club was in on it. Gave them a drug similar to Rohypnol to all 3?

I dunno. There is little to no evidence. So anything in theory could have happened.

Until a body shows up or she is found alive or new evidence/witness comes forward. We will never know.

Is the DNA evidence purely unusable or has the tech just not been developed yet.

I was watching the Forensic Files on Netflix and an unsolvable case they preserved the DNA. Eventually a process was developed to render the DNA useable and they found the killer. Could this sample/s taken ever be used. Mind you the sample taken had the killers DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lady Poepoe

Has Dr. David Payne been looked into? Kate and his statements of them beinging the apartment contradicts eachother.
    He was one of the last people to see Madeleine alive.
    He discribes the children as "peaceful" and like "angels" Such a strange way of speaking of children. It's like describing a dead person. Or maybe someone completely knock out.
    What if he gave the children something to help keep them asleep. But Madeleine overdosed before anyone noticed to help.
    His own mother in Law thought the twins were sedated. Kate was shouting and banging the wall just near them and they didn't wake.
    Maybe the witnesses saw David carrying a child. How tall is he?

Or what if it was David turn to bathe the children? Didn't they all bath eachothers children! What if he got out of hand. Something happened that would cause the whole group to be investigated. All would face court and media etc.
    I get paedophilia bad vibes from the McCann and friends.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Didn’t some friend say she heard/seen a ‘weird’ exchange between Gerry and one of the other men (was it Payne?) about one of the smallies. Was that dismissed as never came up in the documentary, or was it a tabloid rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Something Else

Discredited by who? The McCanns?

This dog unit had a 99% success rate prior to this and was regarded as 1 of the best units in the world. There was a dead body recently in their apartment and the boot of their rental car. I have complete faith in those dogs. Far more than I have in Gerry and Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Has Dr. David Payne been looked into? Kate and his statements of them beinging the apartment contradicts eachother.
    He discribes the children as "peaceful" and like "angels" Such a strange way of speaking of children. It's like describing a dead person. Or maybe someone completely knock out.
    What if he gave the children something to help keep them asleep. But Madeleine overdosed before anyone noticed to help.
    His own mother in Law thought the twins were sedated. Kate was shouting and banging the wall just near them and they didn't wake.

Or what if it was David turn to bathe the children? Didn't they all bath eachothers children! What if he got out of hand. Something happened that would cause the whole group to be investigated. All would face court and media etc.

I wouldn’t read too much into the twins sleeping though the noise and commotion. At that age babies enter into a very deep sleep and it has been shown recently that a fire alarm even won’t wake a baby in that stage of sleep. The heat too might make them seeem sedated.
    Saying that I also have twins and there’s no way you could enjoy a sun holiday unless they were sedated, even to get through the airport!

Nonetheless, it’s too big a leap to make to say Madeleine was over-sedated and died and the parents disposed of the body and staged a crime scene. If that does turn out to be true they are stone cold people! There’s no way I’d leave kids alone in an apartment though even on hols and am amazed this happens! An abduction seems the most plausible scenario by far to me.

Something Else
    The thing about the abduction theory is... you have to believe the McCanns that the door was open. Originally they told the PJ that the window was open and thats how the abductor got in. They also told their families that the window had been shattered from an abductor entering.

Of course, neither of those are true are they? The window wasn't shattered at all. In fact, it couldn't be opened from outside.

Thats when the story changed to the door was open. Very strange not to mention this to the police.

And now we have people questioning well trained cadaver dogs, questioning martin Smith's sighting but we just take it as fact that the door was open, because the McCanns said so.

We take it as fact so much so that the poll on this thread even reads "Abductor had been watching and came in the open door".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Regarding the sniffer dogs. The teddy Kate mcann carried around had the scent of a cadaver. I am not sure how long it takes before a dead body starts to release the odour that can be passed on to the teddy but for arguments sake I will say within a few hours.

I am going to assume then that Madeline had died in bed and was with her teddy for a long enough time for the odour to be transferred to the bear. This bear was then carried around by Kate and most likely left in the boot of rental car and in other spots leaving the scent of the cadaver there also. That's what I think the dog was sniffing anyway, not a body but where the teddy had been.

The question then is where did Madelines body go. There are only two plausible scenarios in my head.

Scenario 1. Kate did indeed overdose her child killing her and managed to hide her body.

Scenario 2. The child was being watched and abducted but was already dead due to the overdose. A crazy coincidence but possible.

Something Else
    Why do you put so much weight in one persons eye witness testimony, eye witness testimony and photofits are very unreliable?

Eye witness testimony is unreliable, yet we are to believe the tapas 7's multiple edited version of events :rolleyes:

Eye witness testimony is unreliable, yet we are to believe the tapas 7's multiple edited version of events

I think it depends on what or who the eye witness saw.

Something Else
    I think it depends on what or who the eye witness saw.

Seems to be McCanns version: Good.

Anyone elses version: Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    The thing about the abduction theory is... you have to believe the McCanns that the door was open. Originally they told the PJ that the window was open and thats how the abductor got in. They also told their families that the window had been shattered from an abductor entering.

Of course, neither of those are true are they? The window wasn't shattered at all. In fact, it couldn't be opened from outside.

Thats when the story changed to the door was open. Very strange not to mention this to the police.

And now we have people questioning well trained cadaver dogs, questioning martin Smith's sighting but we just take it as fact that the door was open, because the McCanns said so.

We take it as fact so much so that the poll on this thread even reads "Abductor had been watching and came in the open door".

I wonder why it doesn't say "abductor had been watching and came in through the open door, then tampered with the window and left through the open door"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

In the documentary, the kids on collection from the kids club appear exhausted and madeline asks to be carried home.. they barely make it through their bed time story before falling asleep... maybe they were drugged during the day? something dropped into their drinks? If it was an organised abduction then its plausible

In the documentary, the kids on collection from the kids club appear exhausted and madeline asks to be carried home.. they barely make it through their bed time story before falling asleep... maybe they were drugged during the day? something dropped into their drinks? If it was an organised abduction then its plausible

Since you believe it may have been an abduction ,any thoughts as too why the Portuguese Police and Scotland Yard have

despite years of investigation been unable to find evidence of an abduction? The only evidence offered is from the McCanns and that's not very compelling tbh. 'They've taken her' seems to be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

Since you believe it may have been an abduction ,any thoughts as too why the Portuguese Police and Scotland Yard have

despite years of investigation been unable to find evidence of an abduction? The only evidence offered is from the McCanns and that's not very compelling tbh. 'They've taken her' seems to be it.

i don't have any strong opinion either way.... im keeping an open mind.. there definitely was some sinister characters around the area those days... the guys calling to people pretending to be an orphanage collecting money.. and one woman coming down to find one of those in her house talking to her daughter and he ran out.. it does seem to lend to the abduction possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Car was rented weeks after she went missing. Either stinky body transport or car has ability to time travel.

Cadaver could have been rotten meat.
    Dogs aren't that smart and are easily distracted.
    Not everyone can be a detective and thank god for that. I'll keep my faith in the portugese police.

i don't have any strong opinion either way.... im keeping an open mind.. there definitely was some sinister characters around the area those days... the guys calling to people pretending to be an orphanage collecting money.. and one woman coming down to find one of those in her house talking to her daughter and he ran out.. it does seem to lend to the abduction possibility

Still leads me back to the question I asked, no evidence of abduction unearthed by either the Portuguese authorities or Scotland yard despite over10 years of investigation by both Police forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

I think David Payne was the guy who made some strange pedophilia type gestures/comments about Maddie from a statment from another couple who had been on holidays with them previously.

This seem to be withheld from the Portuguese police for months.

More questions that no one seems to be able to answer so just brush under the carpet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Why aren’t governments doing more to try crack/find and destroy these peodophile rings. With so many found in the wonderland photos (I cant read up on it is too upsetting), where are those kids like Rui Pedro. How can so many be taken, hidden and never ever found.

Neither does Scotland Yard . You may sneer my reply but do you not find it strange that an organisation with the resources of one the world's most respected police forces could not find evidence of abduction after almost 11 years and countless millions?
    Still leads me back to the question I asked, no evidence of abduction unearthed by either the Portuguese authorities or Scotland yard despite over10 years of investigation by both Police forces.

And no evidence of murder, accidental death, drugging, satanic cults or alien encounters of the third kind, either.

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Regarding the sniffer dogs. The teddy Kate mcann carried around had the scent of a cadaver. I am not sure how long it takes before a dead body starts to release the odour that can be passed on to the teddy but for arguments sake I will say within a few hours.

I am going to assume then that Madeline had died in bed and was with her teddy for a long enough time for the odour to be transferred to the bear. This bear was then carried around by Kate and most likely left in the boot of rental car and in other spots leaving the scent of the cadaver there also. That's what I think the dog was sniffing anyway, not a body but where the teddy had been.

The question then is where did Madelines body go. There are only two plausible scenarios in my head.

Scenario 1. Kate did indeed overdose her child killing her and managed to hide her body.

Scenario 2. The child was being watched and abducted but was already dead due to the overdose. A crazy coincidence but possible.

or the Police cocked up the investigation, wanted a conviction so staged the cadaver search by getting something that had been on a body from a mortuary and rubbing it around the apartment.

Video of the dog searching the car, he had to be brought back to the drivers door, how did they know to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

cursai wrote: »
    Car was rented weeks after she went missing. Either stinky body transport or car has ability to time travel.

Cadaver could have been rotten meat.
    Dogs aren't that smart and are easily distracted.
    Not everyone can be a detective and thank god for that. I'll keep my faith in the portugese police.

Dogs aren't that smart?

The dog owner/trainer with 30 years experience wit an impeccable record now working for the FBI stated the dog won't detect rotten meat as a corpse.

Yet you, who have no experience in the above just rock out a random statement about "dogs been distracted.

I'd like to hear more from you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement