Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    It was very easy for me to find the reference to 'abandonment of a minor in Portuguese law. You can easily do the same.
    You can twist my comment any way you want but it does not change the fact that they are responsible for the disappearance of their daughter and I suspect her death by whatever circumstances it occurred.

But you brought up the charge of abandonment so surely it’s not difficult for you to back that up with a link.
    You are stating categorically here that the McCanns are responsible for the death and/or disappeance of their daughter. Have you forwarded your theory and supporting evidence to either if the investigating police forces? Because if you haven’t then I might as well claim that you are responsible for the disappeance of Lord Lucan.

Funny the Sun carried a story quoting the Portuguese interior minister who stated they considered making the McCanns aguidos for child abandonment. The article is easily found but again I don't suppose searching would suit your agenda.

So your knowledge of Portuguese law extends to but doesn’t exceed something that you read in the Sun 10 years ago. I see.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The 2 things I took from the single episode I watched was when one of the mcanns friends went to check but only went to the bedroom door but never looked in apparently, why would you get up from your dinner, walk 100yrds to check children yet not even bother to poke your head through an open door
    I find that extraordinary tbh, also the fact that they let the side door that lead directly onto the street open is mind boggling unless of course this was the plan and their conststant checking was only to see had the job been done, after all the first thing Kate said was they've taken madeline

What plan was this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

splinter65 wrote:
    So your knowledge of Portuguese law extends to but doesn’t exceed something that you read in the Sun 10 years ago. I see.

Pathetic response tbh .

limnam wrote: »
    What personal insult?

If you think it's ok to leave three kids in an aparentment while you go out to a restraunt it means only 1 of two things. You're not a parent. Or you're not very bright. E.g. a very bad parent if you think the aboe is ok, this is not a personal insult. it's a fact.

You can’t accuse someone who doesn’t agree with you of being a bad parent or being stupid. It is merely your opinion that leaving the children in their bedrooms to be checked on every half hour was neglect. Just your opinion. It doesn’t make you right and it doesn’t make you a good parent, or bright for that matter.

• Advertisement

Pathetic response tbh .

Your knowledge of Portuguese justice extends to an article you read in the Sun newspaper. Fact. That’s all anybody needs to know about any theory you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can’t accuse someone who doesn’t agree with you of being a bad parent or being stupid. It is merely your opinion that leaving the children in their bedrooms to be checked on every half hour was neglect. Just your opinion. It doesn’t make you right and it doesn’t make you a good parent, or bright for that matter.

I thought we were all well past the fact that what they did was neglectful.

It has normally been the one thing the vast majority agreed on here.

I think most normal balanced folk will admit leaving 3 young kids of that age alone in an unlocked apartment in a foriegn country is wreckless.

*shrug*

I think Gerry is an agreement anyway

Gerry McCann told yesterday of his terrible regret at leaving his children alone on the night Madeleine disappeared.

He admitted: 'We made a mistake, but we are paying more for it than anyone could ever possibly imagine.'

If it was the right thing to do. It wouldn't be a mistake.

splinter65 wrote:
    Your knowledge of Portuguese justice extends to an article you read in the Sun newspaper. Fact. That’s all anybody needs to know about any theory you might have.

I will take the opinions of Rui Pereira former Portuguese interior minister over the snide comments of an anonymous internet user anytime.
    As for theory I have not put forward one, however if I did it would have the same validity as any other one posted here. What is fact is the child disappearance is solely down to the behaviour of her parents nothing you say changes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Something Else
    What plan was this now?

To have someone take her of course

• Advertisement

Moita Flores, a former police chief, backed his countryman, Pereira and told
    the show that if Kate and Gerry had been Portuguese, they would have been
    arrested for abandonment.

Speaking on a documentary in 2013, he said: “Have no doubts. If this had
    involved a Portuguese child our public ministry would have immediately set
    off measures which are in place to protect children.

“In our culture this kind of behaviour would have not been tolerated as
    reasonable. I am not even sure it is tolerated under Anglo-Saxon cultural
    values.’’

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Of course what the parents did was wrong . Law or no law they left three small children alone . Forget abduction for a minute but remember much higher risks. Falling , high temperatures , seizures , crying in fear from a bad dream , crying with lonliness for their mummy , coughing , choking , are all risks the Mc Canns chose to disregard for a quiet dinner and a bottle of wine
    Of course it was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I will take the opinions of Rui Pereira former Portuguese interior minister over the snide comments of an anonymous internet user anytime.
    As for theory I have not put forward one, however if I did it would have the same validity as any other one posted here. What is fact is the child disappearance is solely down to the behaviour of her parents nothing you say changes that.

He's just a politician saying things to make him and his country look good. The key point is they didn't.

Portugal is a country with a legal system that lets a man abduct a teenager, rape her several times, admit to doing so in court and walk out of the court laughing, literally. He was told not to do it again, so I suppose that's something.

Personally I wouldn't be holding up a Portuguese politician tolerant of such a legal system as someone having a gravitas of commendable moral authority and high ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Of course what the parents did was wrong . Law or no law they left three small children alone . Forget abduction for a minute but remember much higher risks. Falling , high temperatures , seizures , crying in fear from a bad dream , crying with lonliness for their mummy , coughing , choking , are all risks the Mc Canns chose to disregard for a quiet dinner and a bottle of wine
    Of course it was wrong

Needs a soundtrack of violins and a cut to a close up shot of tear trickling down a rosy cheek.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Needs a soundtrack of violins and a cut to a close up shot of tear trickling down a rosy cheek.

I'm sure if the mccanns were not responsible.

Their recklessness has caused many to be shed.

But feel free to make light of the seriousness of the situation.

cnocbui wrote:
    He's just a politician saying things to make him and his country look good. The key point is they didn't.
    The reasons why they didn't was explained. His position as a politician is irrelevant. Senior police officers stated the same.
    cnocbui wrote:
    Portugal is a country with a legal system that lets a man abduct a teenager, rape her several times, admit to doing so in court and walk out of the court laughing, literally. He was told not to do it again, so I suppose that's something.
    Whataboutery.
    cnocbui wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't be holding up a Portuguese politician tolerant of such a legal system as someone having a gravitas of commendable moral authority and high ethics.
    Relates again to whataboutery on your behalf.

cnocbui wrote: »

Great contribution

I thought we were all well past the fact that what they did was neglectful.

It has normally been the one thing the vast majority agreed on here.

I think most normal balanced folk will admit leaving 3 young kids of that age alone in an unlocked apartment in a foriegn country is wreckless.

*shrug*

Welll there you are again slinging the insults around personalizing the whole thing.

Welll there you are again slinging the insults around personalizing the whole thing.

Oh yes calling parents who don't leave their kids alone to go eating and drinking normal and balanced.

Horrific.

You certainly can call parents who leave three kids in an unlocked apartment open to a public road , not seen from where they sat poor parents .
    You simplify it by saying " in their bedrooms " as if they were simply in the next room . They weren't , between them and their children was a pool , a path , bushes and a verandah . The kids were left alone in an unlocked apartment its that simple . Poor parenting , selfish parenting and high risk taking .
    A child was taken from her bed without them even noticing which just shows the high risk they ignored

• Advertisement

You certainly can call parents who leave three kids in an unlocked apartment open to a public road , not seen from where they sat poor parents .
    You simplify it by saying " in their bedrooms " as if they were simply in the next room . They weren't , between them and their children was a pool , a path , bushes and a verandah . The kids were left alone in an unlocked apartment its that simple . Poor parenting , selfish parenting and high risk taking .
    A child was taken from her bed without them even noticing which just shows the high risk they ignored

You can't call them bad parents. They've suffered enough.

Oh yes calling parents who don't leave their kids alone to go eating and drinking normal and balanced.

Horrific.

No that’s not what you said. You said that people who don’t agree with you aren’t normal or balanced and that they’re stupid. There’s a world of difference.

No that’s not what you said. You said that people who don’t agree with you aren’t normal or balanced and that they’re stupid. There’s a world of difference.

Nope, here's what was wrote.

"I think most normal balanced folk will admit leaving 3 young kids of that age alone in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country is reckless."

Let me know if you need anything else cleared up

How difficult is it to read what someone posted and to quote same, instead of making up stuff?

No that is not what was said . Read it again

Nope, here's what was wrote.

"I think most normal balanced folk will admit leaving 3 young kids of that age alone in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country is reckless."

Let me know if you need anything else cleared up

So if you don’t agree that what the McCanns and other friends were doing was wreckless then your abnormal and unbalanced.
    Are you genuinely not seeing it or just pretending not to?

No that is not what was said . Read it again

I’ve just read it again.
    Here it is

So if you don’t agree that what the McCanns and other friends were doing was wreckless then your abnormal and unbalanced.

I’ve just read it again.
    Here it is

All you're seeing is the words you're trying to put into my posts.

I

Gerry McCann doesn't agree with what he was doing????

He said it was a mistake and would never do it again. Do you think he thinks like that because it was a great idea?

• Advertisement

I’ve just read it again.
    Here it is

Most normal balanced parents would not dream of leaving their children in the situation the Mc Cann left theirs . Thats it in a nutshell . If you feel it would be right to leave your toddlers alone in an unlocked apartment away from earshot or eyesight then Yes I would be questioning your parenting skills .

I am astonished that anyone would even admit to thinking it was within the realms of responsible parenting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement