Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy fcuk I need that extension for my browser!!

I just got 3 major spoilers about the series!!!

Wont post them here but, by hell one of the them is a real biggie!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Holy fcuk I need that extension for my browser!!

I just got 3 major spoilers about the series!!!

Wont post them here but, by hell one of the them is a real biggie!

I think we should all just stay off the internet for a week.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I want to look for the big spoiler now. Never mind them at all in any show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

pixelburp wrote: »
    Funny, I listened to the French and my first instinct was "wait, surely with the Universal Translators, Picard always spoke French?" That thought quickly followed by "... oh god no, I've become THAT kind of fan" :D

Oh dear, did you not know that French had died out in the 22nd century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Make sure you watch Graham Norton tonight on BBC1 NI tonight.

Picard clip which apparently is the opening scene and has Picard in 10 Forward with Data (in Enterprise E style uniform).

• Advertisement

Picard clip which apparently is the opening scene and has Picard in 10 Forward with Data (in Enterprise E style uniform).

Take it that ddint happen so? Pity :(

Ms

I am recording it. Not going to ruin it.

Actually I am surprised we have not had a trailer for the opening credits of Picard like we had for Discovery or no trailer for music used in it either?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I am recording it. Not going to ruin it.

Actually I am surprised we have not had a trailer for the opening credits of Picard like we had for Discovery or no trailer for music used in it either?

Think its over now, fast forward my good man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Watched I, Borg last night with the missus. Enjoyed it far more than I remember I did. Will watch Descent I and II tonight.

I'm doing the same as I think this element of the Borg will be central to the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtVREAq5o0

11:14 for those interested

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Evade wrote: »
    If we're talking watching them as a kid I probably enjoyed all of them. I was fortunate to have Sky One back then so if I missed it at 5pm it was on again at 10pm.

We had sky as well. My recollection was that season 1+2 were first shown on RTÉ before sky got the rights. Then sky showed every episode twice a day to catch up.
    Season one and two of DS9 are better. I was watching the season two opening trilogy last night and it holds up very well.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I though S1+2 of DS9 were pretty poor.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Of course, but I think you said you watched TNG as it aired first time? Dare I say your love for those seasons is grounded in that emotional connection you had from the excitement at "new Trek". Not a judgement, nor trying to claim objectivism or anything, just that there's a context IMO that probably adds an extra texture to your watching of - say - "Angel One" compared with mine :)

I've found that most SciFi during their first seasons are usually kinda terrible - most often because those first episodes have to cover a lot of world-building, introductions, exposition & simply the writers discovering what WORKS in their show. Off the top of my head: TNG; DS9; Enterprise; Farscape; Babylon 5; The 100; Agents of SHIELD; The Expanse; Firefly ;), to name a few. All very variable in quality while the kinks were worked out.

Still to this day, the BSG reboot remains the only show I've watched where it nailed it within that first season, with even one of the series' best episodes being the very first - "33". A premise and plot that to this day remains untapped and generally unrepeated.

I’m absolutely sure my love for TNG is mainly emotional. Watching it as a kid and waiting every week for a new episode was brilliant.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-picard-opens-up-a-new-chapter

Massively excited - some new clips and some interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

Brian? wrote: »
    We had sky as well. My recollection was that season 1+2 were first shown on RTÉ before sky got the rights. Then sky showed every episode twice a day to catch up.
    Could be. I'm a few years short of being able to remember the early TNG seasons in their original run.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m absolutely sure my love for TNG is mainly emotional. Watching it as a kid and waiting every week for a new episode was brilliant.

For me, it was the Sky One era where they repeated the full series at 5pm daily. It was during my Leaving Cert year and that break kept me sane between school and evening study. Majority of episodes are watchable once and then there are the standouts that stand up to repeated viewing, Redemption, Best of Both Worlds etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My only concern, and this could be just the fault of the trailers, is that there's a LOT of lame, superficially-deep speechifying from Picard. Maybe it's not representative of the actual content, but I really, reallllly hate mainstream American TVs habit of halting the narrative for "teaching moments" between characters, where one makes these grandiose but empty speeches. Happens all the time in (say) CW's The Flash and it's just painful to sit through sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Slydice wrote: »

The old galaxy class visible in a couple of shots there. That's nice. A flashback I guess. Good to see they've resisted the urge to modify the design. That would be an unholy abomination.

Ms

Slydice wrote: »

Really excited now. So can't wait. Thats an excellent trailer the music and all. Love it.
    My only concern, and this could be just the fault of the trailers, is that there's a LOT of lame, superficially-deep speechifying from Picard. Maybe it's not representative of the actual content, but I really, reallllly hate mainstream American TVs habit of halting the narrative for "teaching moments" between characters, where one makes these grandiose but empty speeches. Happens all the time in (say) CW's The Flash and it's just painful to sit through sometimes.

I don't have a problem with especially coming from a legend like Patrick Stewart. Its true as well what he says in this trailer.
    The old galaxy class visible in a couple of shots there. That's nice. A flashback I guess. Good to see they've resisted the urge to modify the design. That would be an unholy abomination.

Ye its looks really nice. I was thinking it looked very slightly different do but could be wrong. Looked like the deflector dish is a bit wider the neck too and the nacelles a little too but it still looks great not messed up like some of the ships in Discovery or in the JJ Trek films.
    I agree with you do tht it was perfect the way it was. I would like to see a better sense of scale for it do if it is in this much which is unlikly do. One thing the JJ Trek films and Discovery have done good is a sense of scale with the ships. Vayager was not too bad at this as well sometimes but other times it was just terrible the shuttle bay for instance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Underground station in London renamed to honour Picard,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpY_AlFkEIQ

Also heard there is one in New York doing something similer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Wouldn't mind seeing a modern take of the interior of the Galaxy class for a bit.

It was super cosey. Like a giant space hotel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »
    Really excited now. So can't wait. Thats an excellent trailer the music and all. Love it.

I don't have a problem with especially coming from a legend like Patrick Stewart. Its true as well what he says in this trailer.

Well like I said it could just be the trailer, and obviously YMMV, but for me that kind of glib, superficially deep writing is a tired trope in US scripting. Armchair philosophising that absolutely nobody talks like in reality. Just makes me roll me eyes at the glib meaningfulness. We'll see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The thing for me, and it was really the difference between the movies and the show, was the darkness of the lighting in the ship.

On the show, the lighting on the Enterprise is very bright. In the movies, it was darker and more shadow-y.

Hopefully it'll be more like the show was!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

One of the things that made the Orville very Trekkish for me was the light and colour (obviously the well-developed crew characters too). I find the greige-ness of Disco very dull, though not as bad as constantly earnest-whispery Michael.

Loved Picard's 'Engage!' - made it seem very real - I must return to the Eir website and see if I can find where they've hidden the link to the Amazon Prime video sign-up.

Hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the "modern" look unfortunately. You see it in loads of TV shows these days.

One theory I have is it helps mask flaws in the set pieces which show up under HD. Farscape for example, turned down the lighting in Season 4 when it moved to HD filming as the wear and tear in the sets was showing up under normal lighting. Which was disappointing as it made the show look far less visually impressive compared to previous seasons. Similar case for movies, where issues that wouldn't show up on the small screen show up on the big screen. They turned the lighting way down in "Generations" which I'm guessing is because the Enterprise-D sets were approaching end of life.

Don't think that's the case for Discovery as the sets would be brand new and it looks like a lot of money went into them but I guess they follow the aesthetic viewers expect in a modern show.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I think it's also a simple side-effect of the "cinemafication" of TV. Many shows have either the budget or the cinematography of movies these days, and it's not uncommon to find Hollywood names - from in-front of and behind the camera - appearing on our television screens.

We're long removed from the days of flat studio lighting and a couple of shot-reverse-shot set ups (or indeed the humble 4:3 ratio telly), and while I've questioned some of Discovery's choices (the ever rotating camera that actually left my OH nauseous in parts), I like the attempts to broaden the scope and aesthetics of the series; to use the canvas of the camera to imbue mood, drama or whatever. If I want flat compositions, I'll go see a play :D

edit: never noticed that about Farscape though; interesting. I definitely noticed that some TNG sets look incredibly ragged and tired when watching the remastered version on Netflix. Really took away from the feel of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

We're long removed from the days of flat studio lighting and a couple of shot-reverse-shot set ups (or indeed the humble 4:3 ratio telly), and while I've questioned some of Discovery's choices (the ever rotating camera that actually left my OH nauseous in parts), I like the attempts to broaden the scope and aesthetics of the series; to use the canvas of the camera to imbue mood, drama or whatever.

Johnathan Frakes has said much the same about directing Discovery. He's very much in favor of the more dynamic approach, though I seem to recall his episodes didn't go quite as far with the loopy camera shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Will it present cross spices relationships like Voyager did? ST was always progressive and left leaning so i don't think it will.

If the Discovery creators had characters like Gary Hobbson from Early Edition they might find a common ground between their show and the audience.
    There's many parallels to be drawn from the Borg to the leftist Star Bucks warriors of our time. The Borgs were the baddies member...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yawn, not even trying to be subtle with the trolling at this point. Added to ignore list...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement