Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I guess with Wolf 359 it's possible to have been such an extraordinary emergency, ships were just told to get going, there was simply no time to move non-essential personnel to shuttles. The Borg crisis did strike as being a last ditch attempt to repel barbarians at the gates.
    It can always be retconned in by taking a leaf out of the Discovery finale - none of the ships could spare any shuttle pods because the shuttles were all being prepped for battle.

Still though, one might suggest that en route to the greatest battle the Federation has ever faced, they might agree on a star system with an M-class planet where all of the ships load non-personnel into lifeboats and launch them before proceeding to Wolf359. You'll be delayed by ten minutes at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

seamus wrote: »
    It can always be retconned in by taking a leaf out of the Discovery finale - none of the ships could spare any shuttle pods because the shuttles were all being prepped for battle.
    I'd prefer them to retcon that whole battle to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

Couldn't wait for Prime Video for the first episode although I think I will for the rest of the season.

I liked seeing Picard on screen again, Patrick Stewart is awesome. And that's about it, pretty good action/fight scenes... Way to much going on, big reveals that were made too early IMO, Big leaps and assumptions made to draw conclusions that were not earned in the first half hour of a show about a character we've not seen for 20 years. SLOW DOWN FFS

The mystery around someone's identity and connection to Picard seemed interesting and I thought this would be teased out but then, oh look there's the answer, quick assimilate this info and.... Next scene
    STOP, just slow down

The whole thing was crammed and rushed IMO. I hope it calms down a bit going forward.

Some of the dialogue.....
    I'm pretty sure one of Dahjs opening lines was DUDE, I'm a fellow at the daystrom...... DUDE????

He replies with "that's pretty cool" This is my problem with Kurtzman Trek. It has been established that in the 23rd and 24th centuries people don't use the terms dude or cool when they converse. How is that so fuçking hard to accept???? But they want to make it relatable so..... :rolleyes:

When she first met Picard, "I just feel safe with you something something", Christ

And of course subverting our expectations with that death. She was our last hope - No there is another
    Ugh
    FML

Some nice little Easter eggs and nods, the opening shot was beautiful. Fingers crossed for the next episode, I really do hope it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is a thead for this first episode by the way where you can post your thoughts and not have to spoiler tac it.

Ms

Here is the title for the first three episodes of Star Trek:Picard,

Episode 1: “Remembrance” (begins streaming January 23)

Episode 2: “Maps and Legends” (begins streaming January 30)

Episode 3: “The End is the Beginning” (begins streaming February 6)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

AMKC wrote: »
    There is a thead for this first episode by the way where you can post your thoughts and not have to spoiler tac it.

Thanks didn't realise

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

What time will it be available on Prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What time will it be available on Prime?

I'll be checking at midnight, but I seem to recall they often don't upload until a more respectable hour of the morning.

Mind you, this is so much anticipated by so many.

I'll be checking at midnight, but I seem to recall they often don't upload until a more respectable hour of the morning.

Mind you, this is so much anticipated by so many.
    I read it's within 24 hours of the US release so it'll be early morning.

Ms

pah wrote: »
    Thanks didn't realise

Your welcome. Thats ok.

I have seen it thankfully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMKC wrote: »
    Your welcome. Thats ok.

I have seen it thankfully :)

Just watched it (couldn't wait for Amazon UK to catch up as its all over my YouTube recommendations and Google feeds).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have Prime, but I'm impatient. I'll source it elsewhere, Amazon already have my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Mr E wrote: »
    I have Prime, but I'm impatient. I'll source it elsewhere, Amazon already have my money.

I've done the same, but I'll use Amazon for the rewatch (want Amazon to keep paying money towards it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's dropped already for Ireland and UK, as in out now!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a free Starfleet 2399 uniform being given away in Star Trek Online as a tie-in, for those who play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I went to bed at 2335.

At 0005 after a text from a London friend " I'm watching Picard" I was up and heading downstairs to turn on the smart tv and log into Amazon Prime.

What a beauitful opening scene.

Even the wife (who's not a trekkie) got up and watched it and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I was pleasantly surprised after hearing rumors. I know its only episode 1 but it has a lot of potential. The cinematography was great and the overall style i liked. Although, the dialogue was a bit clunky in places .
    Thankfully i didn't find it too "woke" at all. And being someone who despises Star Trek Discovery, i felt that this actually felt a lot more trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

BornIn84 wrote: »
    Thankfully i didn't find it too "woke" at all. And being someone who despises Star Trek Discovery, i felt that this actually felt a lot more trek.

Likewise. I have given up on Discovery midway through the 2nd season.

This feels different and more deliverable as technology has moved on 20 years since we last saw Picard in 2379.

Mr E wrote: »

Same here, Prime user but couldn't wait til midnight.

Really enjoyed it. I am quietly confident this could be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just watched Picard now.

Thank merciful f***ing god, it's a TNG continuation and it's actually watchable. There's quite a lot to like and I'll defiantly be tuning in next week.

What I like:
    -Pretty good quality all round. Everything looks great.
    -We get to see a lot more of Earth, which I always like.
    -They have been respectful of the original canon, I was afraid they wouldn't be.
    -Picard's vineyard buddies. I like them, I hope they stick around.
    -Angry Picard: He's still got it.
    -Picard's Tea order....had me smiling a bit
    -The Picard room.....you'll know what I mean when you see it. Smiling there too.

What I didn't like:
    -Dahj: I don't know if this is due to the actress or direction/script given to her, but I really really didn't gel with this character. There was something very off about the delivery of her performance which I couldn't ignore and it tended to sour some of the scenes she was in. I hope they do better here.

-FNN Interviewer: I get what they wanted to do here, but it had the subtlety of a brick through a window. They could have done that a lot better.

-The intro music: They must have gotten the Discovery people on this one. Starts off pretty good, and then morphs into a cringey merge of an older Trek theme. They need to stop doing that.

Beyond all that; it's Trek! Delightful.....

Now....(To CBS) DON'T F*** IT UP!!! Like we know well you can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Even the wife (who's not a trekkie) got up and watched it and liked it.

This is exactly what trek needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Great stuff. Decent storytelling. And Picard was brilliant: ‘Be the captain they remember’ they told him before the interview. Washes away the stain of Discovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A strong opening for sure, emotionally resonant with TNG, even if it's quite clear we've moved far beyond that era - 20 years, literal and figurative. Have a sneaking suspicion that when the season finishes we'll find more thematic connection with DS9 than the former show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

not watched it, and no intention of doing so until the season finishes and binge watch it.

reports seem very positive thankfully

Amazing first show..
    Bring it on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It's hard describe but I felt Picard leads the conversation in a predictable manner and came to the needed conclusions with very little info!

Enjoyed it though and looking forward to next week, it does have a TNG vibe about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Really enjoyed it. Glad it was not spoilt for me.
    The whole prime experience is not as good as Netflix. No 4K hdr or atmos.

The whole prime experience is not as good as Netflix. No 4K hdr or atmos.
    X-ray is cool though. It makes the "hey I recognise that guy, who is he?" search a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There's plenty of other Amazon stuff that has 4k HDR, I wonder why the lack of it for Picard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Trump must have enjoyed it anyway https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1220821545746141187?s=09 . Less identity politics than Discovery I hear.

Advertisement