Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wish they'd use a cleaner look for the text in the Trek branding, don't like that metallic texture they keep using and would prefer the classic, flat colour of yore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Burty330 wrote: »
    Klutzman going the Disney route of dragging back old characters for the merit of nostalgia cos he's a hack who hasn't the creativity to come up with something original.
    This is Mikey Mouse alternate licence level Trek. Until proven otherwise its just Discovery with Picard being wheeled out for once last adventure.

Negative posts much? So basically we’re not allowed have anyone that has ever appeared on TNG, DS9 or Voyager on this show?

In my opinion, they’d be nuts not to use some characters from the universe. Clearly anyone they have brought in has a role to play in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Klutzman going the Disney route of dragging back old characters for the merit of nostalgia cos he's a hack who hasn't the creativity to come up with something original.
    This is Mikey Mouse alternate licence level Trek. Until proven otherwise its just Discovery with Picard being wheeled out for once last adventure.

Just like TNG bringing back TOS charcters.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »
    Just recently re-watched TNG's Season 6 cliffhanger Descent the other day.

They really left that story thread open didn't they? If Hugh really is in ST: Picard, I can't help but wonder what he and all of his Borg-buddies ended up doing after Lore was defeated. Hopefully we'll now learn more...

Starbucks.

Starbucks everywhere. Every planet, every city, every space station, every quadrant.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK. so, moving on from "Discovery SUX", "Picard SUX" type of..... um.... "debate". You know what they say about arguing on the Internet.

I did get to watch Children of Mars. Thought it was fantastic. What a great use of an over-used Bowie song. I know there will be people complaining about the use of 20th Century music in Trek (Like the engineer in Discovery mentioning "Prince" which I thought was funny) but I thought it was great use. I even liked the one with Spock and Number 1 in the turbolift. I can understand people not liking it though and that's fair enough. Thought it was just good fun and, again, Goddamnit, where is our Pike-era spinoff???!!! Gimme gimme gimme.

So, yeah, great little short and effective buildup for Picard. I know it was alluded to (Probably same "Admiral Picard Reacts" snapshot in the trailers) but it is good to see that Picard is well known. I mean we all hated that f*ckin' JANEWAY made Admiral before Picard so it was good to see that he is so well known and regarded. Although the trailer for Picard seems to indicate that he may be well known and respected but is still out to pasture.

I really cannot wait for Picard and S3 of Discovery. I think they are both bringing Trek in interesting directions. If some people don't want to go along with them then that's perfectly fine. They are entitled to their opinion: they are neither "right" or "wrong". Just opinions. I just wish they would accept that it is just an opinion and that others are entitled to their own opinions without being "wrong".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How can we access the Picard series here?

Through Amazon Prime.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    Just like TNG bringing back TOS charcters.
    Can you really compare 7 characters having 10 combined appearances over 176 episodes and 2 movies to STD's, and possibly Picard's, reuse of characters?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BornIn84 wrote: »
    i'm a bit worried it wont be true Trek and will be all spectacle and hollow like STD
    The fact that you believe there is such a think as "true" Trek should already tell you that you're going to hate it.

You're a purist. You think that there was a time during which Star Trek achieved perfection, and if a series doesn't aspire to recreate that perfection, then it's not real star trek. You probably rate whether someone is a fan based on the depth of their knowledge and if they can't immediately recall an episode by name, then they're not a fan.

That's fine. That's your bag. That's your opinion. It doesn't mean you're right.

What might be a worthwhile exercise is telling yourself that Picard isn't Star Trek at all. Watch it with no preconceptions, with no assumptions about what it should be or could be. Like you would watch any new sci-fi show, such as The Expanse.

Then you might actually be able to watch it objectively rather than under the assumption that it's crap; because 99% of the time if you are certain something is going to be awful, then you will make it so.

Evade wrote: »
    Can you really compare 7 characters having 10 combined appearances over 176 episodes and 2 movies to STD's, and possibly Picard's, reuse of characters?
    Yes, to be fair.

STD is based in the same time frame as TOS. Picard is based broadly within the same timeframe as TNG, DS9 & VOY. The characters have good reason to be present in those series; arguably it would be bizarre to not include them.

TNG was based well outside of TOS's timeframe, and with the exception of Spock none of the other characters had any good reason to be present. They all had to be written in using sci-fi gimmicks. And I include the presence of a 137-year-old Admiral McCoy in that.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, to be fair.

STD is based in the same time frame as TOS. Picard is based broadly within the same timeframe as TNG, DS9 & VOY. The characters have good reason to be present in those series; arguably it would be bizarre to not include them.
    Picard yes, it is a sequel series after all, but relying too heavily on nostalgia and cameos won't be good, see STD. And I write that as someone who really wants to know more about what my favourite characters got up to later.
    seamus wrote: »
    TNG was based well outside of TOS's timeframe, and with the exception of Spock none of the other characters had any good reason to be present. They all had to be written in using sci-fi gimmicks. And I include the presence of a 137-year-old Admiral McCoy in that.
    Sci-fi gimmicks in a sci-fi series? Unthinkable. But the point I was making is STD has had almost as many returning characters, and many more overall appearances, in 29 outings than TNG had in 178.

Evade wrote: »

Yes, because there was no personal reason for Kirk, Sarek, Scotty, McCoy, or Spock to appear in the TNG universe.

Picard needing help, outside of regular channels? Or course you are going to see his friends.

To be honest, I didn't care one way or another about a series including characters from other series or not. Simply pointing out the desperation in bringing up the issue to justify one's assertions that a series no-one has seen yet is crap.

Are we still saying that the show is most definitely sh1t, before seeing it?

I'm out again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are we still saying that the show is most definitely sh1t, before seeing it? I'm out again

Reminds me of pre-season discussions of a sporting team's chances of success in the coming season.
    Oh no, we didn't sign anybody. Uh oh, we re-signed useless chancer X.
    :)

I've only seen the trailer \ pre-season friendly but we're doomed.
    I've only seen the trailer \ pre-season friendly but we're going win the league!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

To be honest, I didn't care one way or another about a series including characters from other series or not. Simply pointing out the desperation in bringing up the issue to justify one's assertions that a series no-one has seen yet is crap.
    I don't really care either, as long as it's good, I'm just pointing out the desperation of comparing a series almost completely relying on returning character nostalgia to one that had returning characters appears in <6% of stories over more than a decade.

These people always do this. Something about ruining their childhood or something :). If the show is exactly like previous shows then it get's slated for being exactly the same. If it changes in any way at all it's all part of a liberal/feminist agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Negative posts much? So basically we’re not allowed have anyone that has ever appeared on TNG, DS9 or Voyager on this show?

In my opinion, they’d be nuts not to use some characters from the universe. Clearly anyone they have brought in has a role to play in the story.

From what understand they are just making cameo appearances and are not integral to the story in any way.
    Basically fan servicing to try gain back the fans that were pushed away by Disgracery.

A few years ago i would have loved to see all these characters back , but we're in a time where SW had nowhere to go so decided to wheel out Palpatine On Ice in Rise Of Skywalker.
    Lando came back and was retroactively turned into a droid molester.

Ned Starks linage was going to be tampered with in the GOF prequel. Thankfully HBO had the foresight to stop that in its tracks , permanently.

7of 9 , Data and Riker are just marketing features.

They'll come and go without having any role to play in the story.

It won't be like Unification where Spocks story had to be told over the course of two episodes.

Saying that though , i am looking forward to the return of Hugh , the borg from the I, Borg episode.

These people always do this. Something about ruining their childhood or something :). If the show is exactly like previous shows then it get's slated for being exactly the same. If it changes in any way at all it's all part of a liberal/feminist agenda.

Seek shelter , i hear opinions can be harmful to some people.

I wonder where these shorts will be available. The first round of shorts were released on Netflix closer to release date of Season 2 outside of the US. While Q&A and the Tribbles ones are spinoffs of Discovery it makes sense that these would be on Netflix soon in Europe but what about Children of Mars? Will this be released on Amazon Prime as it alludes to Picard? As they are in different timelines there should not be much of a crossover but it will be interesting to see going forward.
    Obviously this will not be an issue in the US and the fact that the properties are owned by CBS and not Netflix or Amazon then they can use their own properties/names/whatever whenever they want but I wonder how Netflix would feel about alluding to an Amazon Prime show (And potentially vise versa).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wonder where these shorts will be available. The first round of shorts were released on Netflix closer to release date of Season 2 outside of the US. While Q&A and the Tribbles ones are spinoffs of Discovery it makes sense that these would be on Netflix soon in Europe but what about Children of Mars? Will this be released on Amazon Prime as it alludes to Picard? As they are in different timelines there should not be much of a crossover but it will be interesting to see going forward.
    Obviously this will not be an issue in the US and the fact that the properties are owned by CBS and not Netflix or Amazon then they can use their own properties/names/whatever whenever they want but I wonder how Netflix would feel about alluding to an Amazon Prime show (And potentially vise versa).

It was on ''DailyMotion'' but was very small and it seems to be gone now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

From what understand they are just making cameo appearances and are not integral to the story in any way.
    Basically fan servicing to try gain back the fans that were pushed away by Disgracery.

A few years ago i would have loved to see all these characters back , but we're in a time where SW had nowhere to go so decided to wheel out Palpatine On Ice in Rise Of Skywalker.

Ned Starks linage was going to be tampered with in the GOF prequel. Thankfully HBO had the foresight to stop that in its tracks , permanently.

It won't be like Unification where Spocks story had to be told over the course of two episodes.

Saying that though , i am looking forward to the return of Hugh , the borg from the I, Borg episode.

I’m sorry. I can’t take you seriously when you call
    Discovery “Disgracery”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Wow must try harder, :rolleyes:

7of 9 , Data and Riker are just marketing features. -
    Really? how long have you been working in the production office of Picard or the writers room?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still waiting on this "Netflix analytical data" mentioned that supposedly proved why Netflix pulled the plug on funding (of a CBS show) and so why the budget is much reduced (on a season not yet out) :D

Edit: oh god. Just remembered this isn't the flipping Discovery thread, it's any excuse for a moan.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Still waiting on this "Netflix analytical data" mentioned that supposedly proved why Netflix pulled the plug on funding (of a CBS show) and so why the budget is much reduced (on a season not yet out) :D
    It is technically true that Netflix paid for season 1 of STD.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-budget-netflix-cbs/
    https://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/12/netflix-sale-funds-star-trek-discovery/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »

Edit: oh god. Just remembered this isn't the flipping Discovery thread, it's any excuse for a moan.

did Netflix pass on Picard?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

BrookieD wrote: »
    Wow must try harder, :rolleyes:

7of 9 , Data and Riker are just marketing features. -
    Really? how long have you been working in the production office of Picard or the writers room?:rolleyes:

The person called FurtueGuy claimed they have a role to play in the story.

Its rumored they only turn up to give Picard some advice on his new adventure.

I looked up the IMDB page and saw Data and 7of9 are only credited for a single episode.
    Troi and Riker are credited on 2 episodes.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out their appearances will be brief and play no part to the overall story.

Their role is to get people interested and it works as everybody wants to see Picard reunited with the old guard one more time,
    A marketing gimmic if you will.
    So i was right and FutureMan was wrong.

silverharp wrote: »
    did Netflix pass on Picard?

IIRC there's nothing confirmed but the scuttlebutt says it was CBS who shopped the series to spread the international rights and not be locked into a single agreement. AFAIK there's nothing confirmed in any direction so it's all conjecture of the highest order, with only sliding scales of likelihood really. So all vulnerable to ones biases or preconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Discovery's been renewed for season 3 on Netflix. This whole post is BS

And season 4

• Advertisement

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    And season 4
    I remember sometime late in 2018 Anson Mount posted a twitter picture of himself and one of the other actors noting they were "unemployed". DSC season 2 hadn't even ended that run, but this twitter post and the lack of news about a season 3 was absolute proof for a couple of posters that DSC had been cancelled.

There are some who, for whatever reason, are so desperate to for confirmation that the show they hate is hated by everyone, that they'll jump on anything. "Season 9 will be the last one". "Ha! See? I told you it was crap!"

Given Stewart's advanced age, I expect Picard will probably have a short run. 3, maybe 4 seasons. It will serve as a epilogue to the universe of TNG/DS9/VOY rather than a continuation of the epic.

Of course, he may well surprise us. Plenty of actors have continued acting strongly into their 80s. But I'd say he's particular about the things he does and would hate for it to be unfinished.

Advertisement