Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Great win Ballyhale yesterday, there fowards are pure class they way they create chances, especially Colin and TJ both physically very strong well able for Slaughtneills physicality.

Borrisoleigh surely noticed some weak points in the Shamrocks backs. The 2 wing backs are well able to hurl, Shefflin and Reid but got cleaned out of it yesterday. Shefflin got done for speed a few times and Reid could not compete physically and Micheal the great warrior that he is aint getting faster. Croke park could expose the lack of pace in the shamrocks half back line

I know his man got a few fantastic scored but i still thought Richie Reid had a good game considering the circumstances of just arriving back from the Lebanon and hadnt hurled a competitive match in 6 weeks. I really like the way he always looks up before delivering the ball and and would really like to see him get a fair go with the county in his favoured position as he has been Mr. Consistent for Ballyhale this year throughout the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Village87

Noddy33 wrote: »
    I know his man got a few fantastic scored but i still thought Richie Reid had a good game considering the circumstances of just arriving back from the Lebanon and hadnt hurled a competitive match in 6 weeks. I really like the way he always looks up before delivering the ball and and would really like to see him get a fair go with the county in his favoured position as he has been Mr. Consistent for Ballyhale this year throughout the year

I agree a fantastic hurler and stick man, but yesterday showed that he is way off it pace wise and physical wise, got turned over a few time and when ran at was in serious bother. I agree he was travelling for a while and is a lot better than most of the backs in the Kilkenny set up at the moment and does deserve a run in the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

brookville
    Well done to our 3 clubs this weekend and great to be looking foward to big days out in croke park.

+absolutely!

Hopefully tommy can sign off with a win in croke park
    but his flying in his new position at full foward.

+I sure hope so. His enthusiasm is infectious!, If anyone deserves it, Tommy does.

Should be a good final with borris.Both teams had their own bit of tragedy during the year.Its hard not to admire brendan Maher he has being outstanding.

+ It should one of the toughest challenges the Shamrocks face. Hopefully the physical, close semi will help but can't but fear that the nonstop hurling is starting to wear on them. They're 'professionals' in their attitude and I'm sure Henry will have then as close to 100% as possible. No reds, no injuries. always a bonus. & yes, I'd never been a huge fan B Maher but have grown to admire him as a hurler & cautious as an opponent.

Is Richie Reid home for the final?

+Thought he was gone after the last match. I hope so but don't think he is. Edit: apparently I was wrong. 6 weeks? Thought it was 4 months?

With 3 clubs involved in finals the next few week and the walsh cup coming up soon what kind of team would we like to see against wexford?

+ One that beats them & comprehensively.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

brookville wrote: »
    Yea fitzgibbon matches going on aswell.Its probably madness playing the walsh cup I know it's for a good cause but it's a heavy schedule for players.alot of teams will be down to the bear minimum.

Anyone know if Fitzgibbon matches will be streamed or televised? Or where to find details. thx. I love Fitzgibbon hurling. Great competition, crappy part of the year.

Should definitely not be wasting time with that silly Walsh cup competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭brookville

Richie reid trip is 6 months but are entitled to a few week break so I think he took his break around this stage so he might be home for the final cause he only came home friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

For the Walsh Cup match next Sunday we'll be without players from Shamrocks, Tullaroan and a lot involved in Fitzgibbon such as Heuw Lalor, R Leahy, J Donnelly, L Blanchfield, N Brassil, and of course Paul Murphy is on overseas duty.

Wonder what team is likely.

Grats wrote: »
    For the Walsh Cup match next Sunday we'll be without players from Shamrocks, Tullaroan and a lot involved in Fitzgibbon such as Heuw Lalor, R Leahy, J Donnelly, L Blanchfield, N Brassil, and of course Paul Murphy is on overseas duty.

Wonder what team is likely.

The current panel is still on Holidays in America and are not due back for a few days

The current panel is still on Holidays in America and are not due back for a few days

They may concede so!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Anyone know what Conahy Shamrocks are like.

They play Cork's Russell Rovers in the All Ireland Junior Final.

I thought they came back the other day?Conor delaney is home anyway

• Advertisement

I thought they came back the other day?Conor delaney is home anyway

As is Heuw Lalor.

Grats wrote: »
    As is Heuw Lalor.

I thought they came home last friday unless some came home earlier than others.Either way it's a quick turn around but should be mostly fringe lads this weekend but with fitzgibbon next week lads shouldn't be expected to play two matches in a few days then if they win a final next week and the league starting the following week.I do know we have a lot involved with fitzgibbon this year.
    I see that the match is now fixed for callan this sunday at two

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Terrific win by Ballyhale against perhaps the best Ulster club performance I have witnessed
    Make no mistake Slaughtneil were v good, and I suspect would easily have seen off Thomas's

Borrisoleigh have a great spirit and momentum but Thomas's decision making was abysmal in closing 15 mins.
    They had far more possession but squandered it with stupid options and insane shots from distance that went miles wide
    they hit 5 bad wides in as many mins half way through second half
    16 wides on a good day for hurling in a 60 min game is really poor
    When still only 2pts down and 3 mins of injury time to play, the Keystone Cops short puck out farce yielded not one but two cheap points for Borrisoleigh and it was game over
    Delighted it is Borrisoleigh, will keep Ballyhale on red alert in a way that maybe Thomas's wouldn't have.
    Astonishing it is first ever club final between KK and Tipp teams

I think Galway reps last 4-5 years since demise of Portumna have been very poor, so I wouldn't read too much into Borrisoleigh taking 62 mins to close it out
    Also, how badly did Thomas's want it, knowing even if they won it was back to Croker to face Ballyhale?

A few of Ballyhale's good young lads look a bit jaded, likes of Adrian Mullen and Eoin Cody played an insane amount of hurling in 2019, and it might be catching up on them
    But older lads (accept Mick Fennelly struggled at times) were immense.

Great to have all three teams in final and will be some weekend of hurling in 2 weeks for this Kilkenny Dub

Coleraine I know really fancied their chances, remember they almost beat Glenmore in final in 2016, so Conahy hammering them was a good result
    Also, Coleraine are a genuine Junior club, I had assumed they were Derry Intermediate champions

Sad that with such quality (and depth it would seem) at club level, Derry are so far behind at Inter County

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1st time travelling to a game in Callan on Sunday, any recommendations of the best route coming from New Ross? few options on Google maps.

Seen on the gaa higher education Twitter page there is a full schedule of fitzgibbon action on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

Terrific win by Ballyhale against perhaps the best Ulster club performance I have witnessed
    Make no mistake Slaughtneil were v good, and I suspect would easily have seen off Thomas's

Borrisoleigh have a great spirit and momentum but Thomas's decision making was abysmal in closing 15 mins.
    They had far more possession but squandered it with stupid options and insane shots from distance that went miles wide
    they hit 5 bad wides in as many mins half way through second half
    16 wides on a good day for hurling in a 60 min game is really poor
    When still only 2pts down and 3 mins of injury time to play, the Keystone Cops short puck out farce yielded not one but two cheap points for Borrisoleigh and it was game over
    Delighted it is Borrisoleigh, will keep Ballyhale on red alert in a way that maybe Thomas's wouldn't have.
    Astonishing it is first ever club final between KK and Tipp teams

I think Galway reps last 4-5 years since demise of Portumna have been very poor, so I wouldn't read too much into Borrisoleigh taking 62 mins to close it out
    Also, how badly did Thomas's want it, knowing even if they won it was back to Croker to face Ballyhale?

A few of Ballyhale's good young lads look a bit jaded, likes of Adrian Mullen and Eoin Cody played an insane amount of hurling in 2019, and it might be catching up on them
    But older lads (accept Mick Fennelly struggled at times) were immense.

Great to have all three teams in final and will be some weekend of hurling in 2 weeks for this Kilkenny Dub

Coleraine I know really fancied their chances, remember they almost beat Glenmore in final in 2016, so Conahy hammering them was a good result
    Also, Coleraine are a genuine Junior club, I had assumed they were Derry Intermediate champions

Sad that with such quality (and depth it would seem) at club level, Derry are so far behind at Inter County

The Strong Derry club hurlers are also very strong club footballers or some are even on the Derry county football team. So they don’t play for Derry hurlers. I have no doubt about it, Derry have the hurling talent to be a Joe McDonagh cup team.

The Derry county team gets very little attention. Some lads are not even that interested in playing for Derry county footballers lately.

This is how the order of the day goes in Derry for priority.

1. Derry Club football
    2. Derry county football
    3. Derry Club hurling
    4. Derry county hurling

But there are some seriously talented hurlers in Derry. Put Slaughtneil in the Kilkenny senior hurling championship for 5 years and with their drive and ambition I think they would win it atleast once.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Anyone know what Conahy Shamrocks are like.

They play Cork's Russell Rovers in the All Ireland Junior Final.

I’d say that match be 50/50. The junior finals are usually very close. I know Castleblayney from Monaghan ran Dunnamaggin very close last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

conor05 wrote: »
    The Strong Derry club hurlers are also very strong club footballers or some are even on the Derry county football team. So they don’t play for Derry hurlers. I have no doubt about it, Derry have the hurling talent to be a Joe McDonagh cup team.

The Derry county team gets very little attention. Some lads are not even that interested in playing for Derry county footballers lately.

This is how the order of the day goes in Derry for priority.

1. Derry Club football
    2. Derry county football
    3. Derry Club hurling
    4. Derry county hurling

But there are some seriously talented hurlers in Derry. Put Slaughtneil in the Kilkenny senior hurling championship for 5 years and with their drive and ambition I think they would win it atleast once.

Yep, and serious competition from soccer in City so overall pick is tiny
    Pity, as they definitely seem to be able to produce good standard hurlers

They twice almost won minor semis in early 1990s with a really good team
    We were blessed to squeak past them in 1991 (Philly Larkin sent off for giving that big bruiser Mc Gonigle a dig)

1st time travelling to a game in Callan on Sunday, any recommendations of the best route coming from New Ross? few options on Google maps.

Seen on the gaa higher education Twitter page there is a full schedule of fitzgibbon action on Sunday.

If Travelling from New Ross......the easiest route probably is just to come up vian the motorway and get off at the first exit fro Kilkenny at Danesfort and then travel across from there through Burnchurch, Cuffesgrange and on to Callan then

I believe Anne Downey has been appointed as manager of Ballyragget hurlers for next year...........brilliant to see and surely a first at adult level in any county??

Do you know where they chose to visit? Wherever it is you can bet it's a lot warmer than where I live. Let's just hope there's nothing but happy, PG rated, pics if the boys will be posting on 'social media' ;-) I bet they would much rather be cold & wet in Ireland & waiting for an AI Final though.

• Advertisement

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Do you know where they chose to visit? Wherever it is you can bet it's a lot warmer than where I live. Let's just hope there's nothing but happy, PG rated, pics if the boys will be posting on 'social media' ;-) I bet they would much rather be cold & wet in Ireland & waiting for an AI Final though.

If Cody and the wives and girlfriends are there id imagine it will be under control :p

Ballyhale will have richie reid home for the final he has planned his 3 week trip around the semi final and the final.
    Looks like wexford will be down a load of lads this weekend up to 15 or 16.We will probably be the same.Like most teams we have alot involved with fitzgibbon so might have to dig deep into the squad but hopefully a few lads might make an impression especially with the league only a few weeks away.The result isnt important.

Ballyhale will have richie reid home for the final he has planned his 3 week trip around the semi final and the final.
    Looks like wexford will be down a load of lads this weekend up to 15 or 16.We will probably be the same.Like most teams we have alot involved with fitzgibbon so might have to dig deep into the squad but hopefully a few lads might make an impression especially with the league only a few weeks away.The result isnt important.

I read Wexford have 3 or 4 available from the Tipperary semi final last year, and a good few fringe players are also playing Fitzgibbon cup.

It’s a good chance for Kilkenny and Wexford to unearth some new players early in the year.

I want one of these two teams to win the All Ireland, I could not stomach a Munster 3 in a row All Ireland winner, the only thing worse would be Tipp doing 2 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Swamp_Cat wrote: »

Orlando and New Orleans and a few of them went on to Mexico. Some of them were in the Bahamas as well.

Very jealous.

What is the likely make up of the team?there must be alot of lads involved with fitzgibbon.i know bill Sheehan came on for ucc last night and got a point.Theres a good few in it carlow.Leahy,cleere,blanchfield,Brassil and scanlon.is lawlor still in ucd or is he still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Comerman wrote: »

I think the whole Country will be hoping Ballyragget win something.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

GS11 wrote: »
    I think the whole Country will be hoping Ballyragget win something.:)

Bravo !!! :D:D:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Orlando and New Orleans and a few of them went on to Mexico. Some of them were in the Bahamas as well.

Very jealous.
    Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If any of you guys are on Twitter there's a page called Ah Ref which has a list of most of the fitzgibbon panels with the players club and county, think there all on it bar UL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement