Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

secman wrote: »
    Saw a disturbing picture on strava yesterday, a lad in Gorey on a 14 month old bike, with aporox 2000km on it, 105 group set, the drive side crank failed and clean broke off leaving about a 1/3 on the drivechain .The lad was blessed no traffic beside him, helmet cracked, lots of bruises and road rash. Only realised from Google that its not just confined to 105 , its been recorded too for Ultegra and DuraAce .
    Scary **** :(

Happened me once about 15 years ago coming onto the M50 roundabout going from Blanch to the City (Shimano as well). I fell hard on the crossbar and swerved out into traffic. I stayed upright and car avoided me. I avoided long term damage luckily.

Turns out Shminao had issued a recall for this model (I was unaware). Shimano replaced the crank, chain rings, chain and cassette for free. I guess they were happy to do that and not have larger claims against them!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cat3memes on Instagram was reposting similar stories in the US. A reasonable amount seemed to have happened over a short space but Shimano are apparently not accepting them.under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As with any lads produced item you will always have failures.These failures however can result in terrible injuries.

Are these confined to the new design?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

dahat wrote: »
    As with any lads produced item you will always have failures.These failures however can result in terrible injuries.

Are these confined to the new design?

Last gen Ultegra (6800) was supposed to be the worst offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Alexzont wrote: »
    Last gen Ultegra (6800) was supposed to be the worst offender.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shimano-crank-failure/

Article on the ds crank arm failure on a 6800 ht2.

I've seen the steel axle on ht2 fail to but can't remember if 6700 or 6800.

I've a 4600 crank with about 50k on it, might want to give it a once over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://newatlas.com/bicycles/eso-bike/

not madly light, either. and one size only sounds like a bit of a fudge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Illegal here, if only one brake, I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Illegal here, if only one brake, I think.

No you're allowed only one brake I think?

There's a brakehole on the fork anyway. Coaster brakes are useless from my memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

colm18 wrote: »

Literally trying to make everyone else feel like sh!t:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

eeeee wrote: »
    No you're allowed only one brake I think?

There's a brakehole on the fork anyway. Coaster brakes are useless from my memory!

They're an ok secondary brake, I think is the consensus. The Dutch Bike Shop adds a front brake onto all the bikes they sell here that would otherwise be models with just a coaster brake.

According to the Irish Cycling Legislation thread, you need two braking systems, unless it's a fixie or a bike for a small child. Or something like that.

My 10y.o.'s bike is a funny one: it has lever-actuated brakes for front and rear wheel AND a coaster brake on the rear wheel! Maybe it's just the Nexus 3-speed they happen to use for that bike comes automatically with a coaster brake.

Correct, exemption for fixed gears as the chain effectively acts as a brake (for some). The bike is drilled for a front brake so can be made road legal quite easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    Correct, exemption for fixed gears as the chain effectively acts as a brake (for some). The bike is drilled for a front brake so can be made road legal quite easily.

The amount of times I’ve had to explain this...

Also, in similar, velodrome has apparently been confirmed to go ahead.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-canal-greenway-to-be-significantly-extended-velodrome-will-also-go-ahead/

I am desperately trying to not get over excited.

I see, I ride fixed most of the time unless I'm on a specific road spin and the track bike obviously has one brake. I did put a back brake on my former track bike/now commuter, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used it.

I did get given out to on the canal by another cyclist for having no brakes when they pulled out in front of me and stopped suddenly :rolleyes: They said I was going too fast too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I told them I had 2 more brakes than they had :D :pac:
    I am desperately trying to not get over excited.

It's too late for me. I did a little dance already :o I won't be completely confident until ground is broken...

Also a weird one, when I read the law, its pretty clear what the intent was. Two brakes for bikes with the exception for fixed gear bikes (they have a longer explanation) only requiring one. The implication being the rear wheel and fixed gear acts as a brake of sorts. A few argue that the track wheel in and of itself is that singular brake but I think its pretty clear what the intent was. The same way a roller brake on its own is not effective in the majority of situations, for a track bike, many riders (not all), need an additional brake to assist it.

I say this knowing fulll well I spent manys a year without one and never felt at risk (with one exception) but I was technically breaking the law and there are many rideers who are fine with it, regrettably there are many who aren't.

I see, I ride fixed most of the time unless I'm on a specific road spin and the track bike obviously has one brake. I did put a back brake on my former track bike/now commuter, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used it. .

When I had a front brake and had gotten used to riding track, I don't thinnk I ever used it. I actively tried not too so I didn't get used too it.

When I had a front brake and had gotten used to riding track, I don't thinnk I ever used it. I actively tried not too so I didn't get used too it.

Same. I do use it to bring my foot up to the right position when I have already stopped weirdly, I brake after I have stopped!
    I also use it on gym days when my legs are knackered. And all days my legs are knackered :pac: :pac:

It's too late for me. I did a little dance already :o I won't be completely confident until ground is broken...

Same.

I don't mind this guys videos and for anyone needed a racing fix he breaks down the Slovenian national champs which went ahead last weekend with all the big guns. Decent job considering what he has to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Really enjoy The Lanterne Rouge. Gotta love his nerdy passion for cycling for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-canal-greenway-to-be-significantly-extended-velodrome-will-also-go-ahead/

I remember, it must be nearly 20 years ago, going to a C.I. meeting in The Red Cow.
    At the meeting it was announced that a velodrome would be built at Abbotstown.
    As I remember, we all got presentation packs, that showed the plans and an artist's impression of what the velodrome would look like.
    We were all terribly excited.

I hope it's finally built while I can take the kids to it to see some racing and not when I'm so old that they'll be taking me :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they're scrabbling around to spend money on walking and cycling with the promised €360m a year, it's an easy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if they're scrabbling around to spend money on walking and cycling with the promised €360m a year, it's an easy one...

that's the transport budget though, the velodrome is presumably from the sports budget.

I hope it's finally built while I can take the kids to it to see some racing and not when I'm so old that they'll be taking me :o

Afaik there’s no plans for spectator seating

Can we sit in the middle?

The what now????? So it's more for training and development, of course you could hold competitions but without spectators?

There are. Plans are being revised.

• Advertisement

Can we sit in the middle?

What is that called???? In other sports it could be called "the in-field".

Advertisement