Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great interview by 'The Lal' (Sean Lally)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great interview by 'The Lal' (Sean Lally)
    ]

Great interview. I really enjoyed it. Clear and really honest. That man has been around the block while ‘racing on bread and jam’. What a great perspective he had and still has on life.

Even a mention of the Dublin Drogheda - one of my first races back in the late 1980s.

I sincerely hope I’m still on the bike when I get to that age.

So much to take from that, even at the start when he mentions free swimming. I come from a similar area though not in Dublin but nowhere near his vintage and we had free swimming at school too in a near by pool run by the council and my eldest is at a school looking at a pool/leisure complex not 200m away and there are no initiatives between the school and pool. One step forward two steps back.

Feeling more and more like my dad by the day " In my day [insert the truth here] "

I cycle on bread and Jam too ...... and serious amounts of butter on there ;)

Just snooping on my partners strava and her route to work is a rainbow? Should I be worried about the stable bills for a secret unicorn she has stashed somewhere:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You get it by adding a rainbow emoji to the name of the ride for pride month. They are also doing similar if you put a black heart in your title it goes black for BLM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

uhm, how can i say this politely?

Ha was that the one they were looking for extras for last year?

EDIT: Wonder was that Didi Senft himself or an extra at 47 seconds? I'm hoping it was really him :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

uhm, how can i say this politely?

The stained glass behind them in the pub, were they in a Look sponsored place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lachlan-morton-returns-to-set-verified-everesting-record/

lachlan morton went back and grabbed the everesting record which he'd inadvertently thought he'd grabbed about a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Hurrache wrote: »
    The stained glass behind them in the pub, were they in a Look sponsored place?

So, I know nothing about Irish pro cycling. Is this completely fictional, loosely based around some story that everyone else is aware of

cletus wrote: »
    So, I know nothing about Irish pro cycling. Is this completely fictional, loosely based around some story that everyone else is aware of

I thought it was going to be based on the actual '98 tour and the Festina affair etc. when I first heard about it but they seem to have made a film about an domestique going rogue in a bid for glory and mixed it with dramatic scenes of doping and terrible scripts.

Did anyone here take part as an extra?

cletus wrote: »

Like had been said, seems to be a drama bases around a particular time in Ireland, dunno how factual it is, probably not a hole lot but seeks to show the reality of a domestique.

There is a pretty decent selection of playlists of the '98 tour on youtube. Actually watched it myself during the first weeks of the lockdown.

I remember watching it at the time being about 17 or 18 and the whole circus around it not registering with me or at least I didn't recall how bad it got.

Coincidentally we are about to watch Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist which is about the '98 winner and the man I credit for my love of cycing in spite of everything we know now. Watching him at the tour that year drove me to road cycling in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was someone Everesting last weekend on the road up to Hell Fire and view point?
    A few encouraging posters on the way up and spray on the road...
    I'll put up a picture of one in a few minutes :) that could be days before I work this out!!

it'd be an odd place to everest, certainly at the weekend, given the motor traffic on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Saw a disturbing picture on strava yesterday, a lad in Gorey on a 14 month old bike, with aporox 2000km on it, 105 group set, the drive side crank failed and clean broke off leaving about a 1/3 on the drivechain .The lad was blessed no traffic beside him, helmet cracked, lots of bruises and road rash. Only realised from Google that its not just confined to 105 , its been recorded too for Ultegra and DuraAce .
    Scary **** :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

1.jpg

Forgive the sideways shot...
    Next poster up the road was something to do with X 29 times....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Meh, kind of glad the guards are looking in on the safety of the kids. Arguing like that just raises the 'us v them' and the same usual rabble rousers are already all over that tweet.

• Advertisement

Meh, kind of glad the guards are looking in on the safety of the kids.

To be looking out for the safety of the kids they must have adjudged they were being put at risk by their parents What risks did they identify?

edit: to add, if it was just a conversation about the transport being used out of curiosity, no issues. But if it was judgemental, as the tweet implies, there's no basis for that.

Hurrache wrote: »
    To be looking out for the safety of the kids they must have adjudged they were being put at risk by their parents What risks did they identify?

edit: to add, if it was just a conversation about the transport being used out of curiosity, no issues. But if it was judgemental, as the tweet implies, there's no basis for that.

Looking at the the tone of the tweet I take it with a pinch of salt, definitely adding drama with 'chased down and questioned'
    More than likely car pulls up beside and asks if kids are safe on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looking at the the tone of the tweet I take it with a pinch of salt, definitely adding drama with 'chased down and questioned'
    More than likely car pulls up beside and asks if kids are safe on it.

It's gardai basically being a iobsworth.

There's far better things they could be doing than stopping to ask that and far more obviously dangerous road users.

And though most are fine, based on my last 2 dealings with gardai and their notion of what's safe and allowed in traffic the description in the tweet wouldn't surprise me.

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's gardai basically being a iobsworth.

There's far better things they could be doing than stopping to ask that and far more obviously dangerous road users.

And though most are fine, based on my last 2 dealings with gardai and their notion of what's safe and allowed in traffic the description in the tweet wouldn't surprise me.

Or just Gardai doing their job, they are roads policing.

Seems Mr.Craggs tree was set on fire yesterday, what is wrong with people

would i be unpopular if i said it looks better (i do like torching wood though).
    (i am not an arsonist)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Or just Gardai doing their job, they are roads policing.

Seems Mr.Craggs tree was set on fire yesterday, what is wrong with people

If they can do that, they should be doing the things they're continually ignoring. I get they're understaffed and at present stretched, but this smacks of bad policing, which is a bit too common in some areas.

If they can ignore so many common everyday offences, then they have no business offering advice where it's likely not needed.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If they can do that, they should be doing the things they're continually ignoring. I get they're understaffed and at present stretched, but this smacks of bad policing, which is a bit too common in some areas.

If they can ignore so many common everyday offences, then they have no business offering advice where it's likely not needed.

How on earth is that bad policing? Roads Policing Unit asks cyclist if the bike they are using us safe for kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

How on earth is that bad policing? Roads Policing Unit asks cyclist if the bike they are using us safe for kids...
    It's more concern trolling than concern. Unless they've never seen a child-specific cargo bike before, which I suppose is possible.

two cars, though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

"Hey civilian, are you breaking the law?"

Dont think you'd see it in many other scenarios.

Advertisement