Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nah, I'm thinking the smaller ones again, the one the lad walks behind to control and steer it. Can't find any pics other than one on the front of a DCC pdf.

These ones

operative-using-a-walk-behind-pavement-and-road-sweeper-on-the-sidewalk-BEYE3H.jpg

They're the type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

these yokes - all good, but does it now mean that street sweeper vehicles can't actually sweep the crud that inevitably gathers in the cycle lane?

https://twitter.com/CafeRothar/status/1273547889478897664

Worse than that, it doesn't look like they allow for much space for bus to pull in at stop and even if it does, it doesn't seem to leave space for cyclist to overtake a stopped bus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cars are still going to park there. Guaranteed.

It's going to make taking the right turn at Clarke's a bit tricky I'd say as you need to take the lane early.

Also, noted on buses. 4, 83, 155, 9 are all busy routes carrying a lot of people. There are 3 stops along there. Can see this being a bit counter productive.

The surface is still absolutely shonky too. It's like someone thought, bollards would be great. But it also just highlights a lot of the crapness that exists

• Advertisement

https://goo.gl/maps/41DUJS6jumce7TVd9

This is the norm on that section

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cars are still going to park there. Guaranteed.

Care to explain your recent whereabouts?
    https://twitter.com/CafeRothar/status/1273563441882632192

People dropping into the two shops further down usually.

I'll be honest here and I might get slated, but there's no way I'm using them any more. I used that section everyday and had to overtake constantly and these would only be a nuisance. I also think having a bus stop halfway along defeats purpose and cars/vans will simply park further down at the end of the segregated section so as to access the two shops on that stretch

I understand where you're coming from. If you see a bus ahead coming into the stop it wouldn't be the easiest to handily slip out into the main lane to get around it, looking behind to check you risk clipping the wand.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from. If you see a bus ahead coming into the stop it wouldn't be the easiest to handily slip out into the main lane to get around it, looking behind to check you risk clipping the wand.

Exactly, and as someone mentioned earlier, a lot of busses stop there. Plus I've to overtake cyclists quite often at that point (after lights at the crossroads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Exactly, and as someone mentioned earlier, a lot of busses stop there. Plus I've to overtake cyclists quite often at that point (after lights at the crossroads)

Them wands are a pox. They cause more issues then they solve

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

https://goo.gl/maps/41DUJS6jumce7TVd9

This is the norm on that section
    In all the years I've cycled that way, I don't think I've ever been able to use that section of track. It's usually blocked until you get nearer to the next set of lights. It's another useless addition to the x km of cycle track stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is the R132 a bad road to be cycling on? Have I read that here....
    In my experience, when solo it's fine and I ride it very regularly. In a group, it can attract a few narky motorists sounding off about riding two abreast especially on the sections with no hard shoulder.. The surface had improved a lot of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find the R132 fine. I use it regularly enough and never have any hassle. Blake's Cross heading south can be a bit unsettling with no hard shoulder but otherwise it's OK. I commuted on the R132 from town as far as Airside for a long time and it's no different to any other busy road really. I've had incidents and close passes on the R132 just like any other busy R road and if I had cameras mounted I could take up a fair a mount of cloud server space but I couldn't be arsed.

Maybe the N81 with all it's quarry trucks has me desensitised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    .. Blake's cross heading south can be a bit unsettling with no hard shoulder...
    Yes, I should have mentioned that section. Don't know how I forgot about it as it's on my commute. 'Unsettling' is a good description for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

O'Shea on the Shay! So Dave O’Shea's record still stands for the moment?

If I was to attempt it (which I'm not) the Shay Elliot seems like a better choice of hill than Quarry Road (see 2, 3 and 4) which is just brutal at the end. Can't imagine doing it over and over for 14 hours :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couple of climbs picked are over 10% average grade - both in cork by the looks of it. i see kilmashogue has been bagged. going up that once is something i've yet to manage to do without stopping on the way (only three attempts mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Needs more women!
    I'd never even contemplate doing something like that. #NoHillsOnTrack

NamelessPhill however....:P

couple of climbs picked are over 10% average grade - both in cork by the looks of it. i see kilmashogue has been bagged. going up that once is something i've yet to manage to do without stopping on the way (only three attempts mind)
    Priest's Leap was Everested by thebouldwhacker of this parish back in 2015. He had to do it 21 times which defies belief. I've only done it once and I don't think I'll try it again. I managed to get up without stopping but it's all kinds of horribleness. The Strava link doesn't do it justice with the 8% average as it has a few short descents and ramps up to over 20% in places. It makes Kilmashogue Lane look mild.

Strava - https://www.strava.com/segments/631196

the bouldwhacker's thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95648954

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Doesn't priest's leap have grass growing and sheep or goats or something making the descent a bit of technical one to say the least?

Bouldwhackers thread confirms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

eeeee wrote: »
    Needs more women!
    I'd never even contemplate doing something like that. #NoHillsOnTrack

NamelessPhill however....:P

I'm open to suggestions, I live in South Dublin so most hills are possible. I prefer Cruagh to Stocking Lane.

Doesn't priest's leap have grass growing and sheep or goats or something making the descent a bit of technical one to say the least?.....
    It also has loose gravel and is very narrow - not wide enough for a car and cyclist to meet without someone compromising. On my ascent I met three car drivers but thankfully all three pulled in to allow me to keep moving. There is no pleasure on the descent - both hands clamped on the brakes crawling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Rather than start it's own thread, has anyone bought from gambacicli? Seem to get good reviews on trust pilot just never heard of them before. https://www.gambacicli.com/en/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm open to suggestions, I live in South Dublin so most hills are possible. I prefer Cruagh to Stocking Lane.

Cruagh is a grand climb and a nice descent.
    I'll even do one rep with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Just don't do this:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2020/06/lachlan-morton-didnt-set-a-new-everesting-record-after-all/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Number 15 - Tickincor and Powers the Pot - some serious ramps at the start and the end of those - the middle isn't too easy either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Priest's Leap was Everested by thebouldwhacker of this parish back in 2015. He had to do it 21 times which defies belief. I've only done it once and I don't think I'll try it again. I managed to get up without stopping but it's all kinds of horribleness. The Strava link doesn't do it justice with the 8% average as it has a few short descents and ramps up to over 20% in places. It makes Kilmashogue Lane look mild.

Strava - https://www.strava.com/segments/631196

the bouldwhacker's thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95648954
    How he did that 21 times is beyond belief. Everesting is hard enough without trying cycle up a cliff!!

Not only is it steep but the surface is rutted and broken in places. Loose gravel, grass, sheep sh1t, potholes.

That said, it's probably worth an attempt just to tick that box. I attempted it once from the Cork side. Some of the ramps are insane.

I'm in no hurry to do it again.

Advertisement