Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gving it another week before I give up on me Element Bolt. The house is super clean now though. Only thing I have to think about is whether to go for Pink or Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Spotted a few lads on the old ashbourne road in red jerseys with what looked like a large white P on the front. Is that a club jersey?

Park Wheelers...i think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, that's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont suppose anyone can find the specs for an MTB called the EMMELLE COUGAR XL? All I see is a thread slating the brand as BSOs on Retrobike but nothing about this specific one. I want to know if its steel or aluminium and the original price...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if that's the one i remember from the late 80s, that was before aluminium was invented. could not tell you what the price was, but it certainly wasn't high end. a couple of lads i knew had them for cycling to school.

• Advertisement

Heres a pic I found except the one Im looking at has bull bars:

https://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/gents-mountain-bike/15964412

I doubt its 80s tbh, Id bet money on 90s but not an expert. Doesnt sound like anything to get excited about anyway just the Shimano gears had me wondering if there was a chance it was a decent retro bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Emmelle bikes were very low end, about as low as you could get back then. They were rubbish then and suspect age hasn't done them any favours.
    It's no chance of being a retro classic, its just old junk.....

#Sorry

Well its in near perfect condition and a nice ride apart from some rust on the spokes and worn pads, Im getting it for free this week in the middle of the worst ever bike shortage to replace my stolen Raleigh Amazon junk bike that I leave in the DART station and that was completely knackered so cant complain too much. The gears are actually the nicest grip shifters Ive ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I did the perimeter of Dublin yesterday and met a bunch of five lads who did the same thing starting from Portmarnock. I'd say there were more than a few of us doing the same thing.

https://strava.app.link/pGlURn8Nk7

If anyone from Cork or Galway tries cycling the perimeter it'll be a couple of days. Cyclists in Louth or Carlow will probably be home by lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Waterford version would have to be called "I love me county".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The Waterford version would have to be called "I love me county".

That route has been already mapped out by our own large bottle small glass a couple of weeks ago
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32904322

Spin for all the Blaa heads who are mad for road after the lockdown.

Just shy of a 300, the only way to get that is to make route even more climby in Knockmealdowns.

Haven't the legs or head for it now but maybe come August.

Slight digression into Cork near Araglin and the Gaza strip that is the Old Bridge in Clonmel

Based on his previous posting history main roads may be in short supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

cunavalos wrote: »
    That route has been already mapped out by our own large bottle small glass a couple of weeks ago

Based on his previous posting history main roads may be in short supply

Main roads are only for crossing.

You nearly ride this on a road bike

https://strava.app.link/xEen3DSkl7

It would bring route over 300.

@namelessphil the exact quote "I loves me county boi" followed by a kiss on the 3 Ships

new irish everesting record - interesting that such a short climb was picked, it was barely above 50m.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-everesting-record-smashed-8848m-climbed-174-times-up-same-hill/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Gving it another week before I give up on me Element Bolt. The house is super clean now though. Only thing I have to think about is whether to go for Pink or Black.

Any opinions? I think I prefer the pink, certainly harder to lose but the black is probably more resellable if I find my original one, any opinions on which is nicer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You're gonna have to buy the pink one. For all the reasons.

It's only the sides and back that are pink, the face is black on both units. So not matter which you get they'll both look the same while you're riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Saw that. Infuriating. I know it's his main way of getting around too.

• Advertisement

I got a Catye Gvolt20 yesterday, as my old cateye that takes four AAs is probably on the way out after a fall that cracked the housing last year. This was the only headlight that takes AAs I could find that fits the Cateye brackets I have on my three bikes, apart from the HL-EL135, which seems to be a poor choice for lighting your way. It only takes two AAs, so it's a good bit smaller than my old headlight.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL350G/

It's actually very good. It meets the German lighting standard (StVZO), so the beam has a good rectangular shape and doesn't illuminate the treetops. I tried going from Clonskeagh Road bridge to Dundrum on the cycle track last night to see how well it lights the way in the dark, and it does a very acceptable job.

Anyway, wanting a headlight that takes AAs is probably a pretty niche concern now, but this so far seems a good one. Need to change batteries a lot if you're going to use it on max all the time though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is the R132 a bad road to be cycling on? Have I read that here.

I was going heading towards the 5 roads, intending to turn off onto an L road that leads back to Ballyboughal but it was closed. Have it in my head the r132 is a bit of pita for cycling on, so dragged myself back up Nag's head and on my way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I ride along the R132 every day and find it ok. Blakes cross isn't great southbound esp when dark and busy. Other than that I don't have many problems.

RobFowl wrote: »
    I ride along the R132 every day and find it ok. Blakes cross isn't great southbound esp when dark and busy. Other than that I don't have many problems.

Cheers, I'll add it into a route, Sometime soon, I've taken it northbound from there on a very quiet day but no other time.

I need to explore east of naul a bit more

i think they've resurfaced some of it? haven't been on it much though of late, generally the stretch between blakes cross and the turnoff for the nag's head. and that's grand.

They've resurfaced a few seemingly random patches of road about the place.

these yokes - all good, but does it now mean that street sweeper vehicles can't actually sweep the crud that inevitably gathers in the cycle lane?

https://twitter.com/CafeRothar/status/1273547889478897664

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It means that the crud will be swept into the lane. I imagine though you'll have those smaller manual ones that lad pushes around, I haven't seen the full sized ones in the city in a long time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I thought they're designed to bend and bounce back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hurrache wrote: »
    It means that the crud will be swept into the lane. I imagine though you'll have those smaller manual ones that lad pushes around, I haven't seen the full sized ones in the city in a long time.

Those mini sweeper trucks are brutal. They just pull all the broken glass and crap from the gutter and leave it in the middle of the cycle lanes:mad:

These ones:
    516865.jpg

Advertisement