Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A load of kids huffing Nos?

Yep, it's a massive problem at the moment, it's referred to as 'Hippy Crack'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you get addicted to it? i tried it once, it's a very brief kick. weird aural hallucinations though, where what i was hearing got trapped in a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yep, it's a massive problem at the moment, it's referred to as 'Hippy Crack'.

Is it a massive problem? I know it's popular with de kids, but is it actually causing problems on the level of underage drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

loyatemu wrote: »
    Is it a massive problem? I know it's popular with de kids, but is it actually causing problems on the level of underage drinking?

It seems to be in certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

loyatemu wrote: »

In certain areas it is a huge issue, there was a death recently also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

In certain areas it is a huge issue, there was a death recently also

It causes spinal problems, with numbness in limbs eventually leading to paraplegia - sometimes permanently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in what context? sheer overuse?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

buffalo wrote: »
    It causes spinal problems, with numbness in limbs eventually leading to paraplegia - sometimes permanently.

No way? I had no idea it could be so lethal. I've had a good bit of it in hospital with various injuries, I was in too much pain to appreciate it though, boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

in what context? sheer overuse?

Yep.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/06/excessive-use-of-laughing-gas-can-lead-to-serious-spinal-problems-doctors/
    At least 64 youngsters have ended up in hospital with spinal injuries over the past two years after inhaling nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, RTL Nieuws has reported.

The figures derive from sampling carried out by the Dutch association of neurologists at a number of Dutch hospitals. In several cases the youngsters, with an average age of 22, ended up in wheelchair, RTL said.

The chronic use of laughing gas can deplete vitamin B12, which in turn can damage the spinal cord. Patients develop weakness in their legs, arms, trunk, and tingling and numbness that progressively worsens.

buffalo wrote: »

really, I assume you're talking about B12 deficiency - you'd have to be using a lot of it for a long time to have that effect...

I'm just a bit wary of moral panics about particular drugs, they're usually highly exaggerated; particularly when you consider the damage done by legal substances like alcohol and tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

are these the same sort of canisters cyclists would use?

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1277557850466922499

No, cyclists use CO2 canisters. may look the same, but are completely different.

How do people inhale the gas from those canisters without getting freeze burns?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No, cyclists use CO2 canisters. may look the same, but are completely different.

I'm not sure of the exact process but balloons are involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »

They empty them onto balloons and inhale from the balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eeeee wrote: »
    They empty them onto balloons and inhale from the balloon.
    Yes there are devices called "crackers" that you put the balloon on and then twist it to crack open the canister which fits inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Perhaps the most weirded out I've ever felt was at around 5-6 am at Glastonbury some years back.

I was at the stone circle or passing at least , and there were a couple hundred people sitting around for the sunrise all laughing their faces off thanks to aforementioned gas.

It just made me uneasy for some reason.

Now I'd gotten through that week with what I'll call TUEs of my own, so they may well have thought the same about me or played a part in my mood.

God when I was at Glastonbury it was a guy shouting E's or Acid at 5am :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had Laughing gas a few years ago, after splitting my chin open. I walked out of St. James dancing like Dick van Dyke and high fiving everyone from there to Grafton St.

interesting, the kick only lasted about 30s when i tried it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Had it briefly after an accident in the back of an ambulance a few years ago. Felt like being unpleasantly drunk but stopped within seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

How does anyone acquire tiny canisters of nitrous oxide? Are they commercially available for some benign use?

150kgs on a beach suggests they are easy to get one's hands on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Discovered a wasps nest in the cavity wall today, ran like a child.

Absolute fear of wasps & pest control to be called asap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Apparently used in coffee machines to froth up milk.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »

I uncovered one last week myself. Outside at least though.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Apparently used in coffee machines to froth up milk.....
    wasp frothed cappucinos. i've heard it all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dahat wrote: »

I had a pile if old crap sitting in a pile out the back to put into a skip a few years back. Lifted a bit of carpet only to find myself legging it through the garden before I knew it, followed by a hive of pissed off wasps.
    Ended up with about 15 stings, mostly on my head :(

They're not that risky this time of year. It's when they get drunk on over ripe fruit later in the summer you have to worry, unless your disturbing hives in the meantime :D

Think I posted about the last itme I was stung a couple of years ago. Sat at lights one foot on the ground the other clipped in and went to scratch an itch on my neck and got stung and toppled over. Fella in a van next to me picked me up and gave me some antiseptic wipes. Hadn't been stung since I was a kid and my brother pushed me and I landed on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hadn't been stung since once as a child either (I may have provoked him!). Been stung 4 times by the feckers the last few years. Three or four years ago I stepped on one in my socks at home. There was a nest the size of a beach-ball in the attic that year!

Was stung 3 times last year! Twice on the bike in May/June first under my helmet on the back of my head, second on the thigh descending I hadn't even swatted him! Last time was in August or so when I just sat into my car and trapped one and got stung on the back. That better be my life time allocation.

The worst is when the kids spot one in the house and you're ****ting yourself because you remember the pain while being expected to shoo it out. I can deal with Mr. skinny legs removals but wasps and bees get swatted with a vengence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

Don't kill bees, we need them for pollination

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Don't kill bees, we need them for pollination

Don't worry I'm crap at swatting so no bees actually get harmed and it's rare one finds its way in :D. Also our front "lawn" has a large amount of daisies, buttercups, white clover and some kind of purple ones so theres a decent amount of bees going about their business at the moment. Actually more than I've seen in recent years.

Advertisement