Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sure did! Custom Condor's. It was pretty clear he wasn't on a 3T though then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

I know it's rare I smack a car - only when I'm afraid they're about to squash me and I've no exit plan - but this is food for thought. If you hit someone's vehicle, it's a legitimate defence for your killing:
    Mr Dunne, from Athy, had been out with friends in Naas and thumped a van which was parked on the road on which he was walking. The van belonged to Almasi who chased after him with a baseball bat and hit him once on the side of the head.

...Mr Dunne died from a severe traumatic head injury caused by one blow...

There was a “provocative event”, the attack by Mr Dunne on the van, he said. Events unfolded in a “deeply regrettable” way from there but there was no break in how they progressed and there was “some air of reality” about a provocation defence in this case,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-out-hurt-to-male-pride-as-provocation-defence-in-murder-cases-1.4289447

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    I know it's rare I smack a car - only when I'm afraid they're about to squash me and I've no exit plan - but this is food for thought. If you hit someone's vehicle, it's a legitimate defence for your killing:

I don't think that is what is being said. I think it says it is a legitimate legal option to claim it, not that it will or should excuse it. The accused should have been allowed use it in his defence and it sounds more like a legal technicality than an acceptance it is a reasonable excuse. The other is that you can point out that you were provoked yourself to hit the van, something that required immediate action due to a risk to life. While the young lad may have been right to alert the driver to the err of his ways, he could have chosen other ways to do this. In the same light, the drivers response was not proportionate, and legalities aside, the jury recognised this. I hope I am not wrong but it sounds more like giving the option so that all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted, although maybe some more legally minded posters could weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

quite a nice, good humoured video, a GCN 'meet the presenters' one about conor dunne.

Hm, sure what does he know about cycling, talking about using gravel bikes in Ireland...

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think that is what is being said. I think it says it is a legitimate legal option to claim it, not that it will or should excuse it.

That's what I said. :) It's a legitimate defence - that doesn't imply a jury has to accept it. Much like 'self-defence' - you can claim it, it doesn't mean you'll be acquitted. But just food for thought next time somebody might be debating smacking a car in anger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tbf, there's all sorts of 'legitimate defences' entered in all sorts of cases. in the cycling world 'the victim wasn't wearing hi vis while i was executing an illegal high speed turn' sort of territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting video (well, interesting to me anyway) of how autonomous car systems may have issues with LED lights, so applicable to cyclists:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

interesting video (well, interesting to me anyway) of how autonomous car systems may have issues with LED lights, so applicable to cyclists:

the whole self-driving car thing seems to have gone quiet after a couple of years when the evangelists were claiming they were imminent. I know a lot of the technology is being incorporated into new models, but full autonomy on public roads seems to be further away than was previously claimed.

buffalo wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-out-hurt-to-male-pride-as-provocation-defence-in-murder-cases-1.4289447

That's absolutely shocking.
    How you can argue that getting out of you vehicle with a baseball bat and deliberately hitting someone over the head with it and killing them is a reasonable response to someone giving your vehicle a bang as they walk by???
    :confused:
    That's INSANE! Whether it would change the conviction or not, getting out and hitting someone with a baseball bat is a massively, massively disproportionate response to someone hitting an inanimate object, never mind killing them!!
    I am completely dismayed that can be seen as a reasonable provocation. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So being threatened, harassed and having your family threatened is not a justifiable excuse (not that I disagree) but having your vehicle smacked is?

Am I missing something, as that's what it appears to be.

I'm lucky that d!ckhead Garda last week wasn't one to swing a bat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    So being threatened, harassed and having your family threatened is not a justifiable excuse (not that I disagree) but having your vehicle smacked is?
    The only difference is the time to assess the situation. If the biker had a shotgun to hand and done it immediately in retaliation, he might have the same use of this defence.
    It should also be clarified that this is a defence in a legal argument sense, not that it is defensible in the norm nor that it will be accepted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

46in85.jpg

Seems a genuine AAA guy.
    this is good crack. dunne telling irish fairy stories while cycling up powers the pot in the dark, also talking about 'horse category' climbs, and going 'off pissed'.

Wicklow CoCo have decided to just chip and tar EVERYTHING they can right now. It's sheeeiiiittteee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Everest on Stocking lane happened anyway up on the hall of fame there...13 hours odd..
    Well done brave soul
    231km 49 repeats...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

eeeee wrote: »
    Wicklow CoCo have decided to just chip and tar EVERYTHING they can right now. It's sheeeiiiittteee!

Yup, I had a moment near Roundwood last week, I was on the motorbike too and I'm not an experienced rider resulting in me nearly messing my jocks. Managed to hold it up though, the bike that is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

eeeee wrote: »

The while country has been done this way, sad times.

anyone ever find themselves in the 'i hope it rains cos it'll justify me not having gone out on the bike this evening' mood?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

anyone ever find themselves in the 'i hope it rains cos it'll justify me not having gone out on the bike this evening' mood?

I think I'm feeling like that now. Or maybe I'm feeling itchy. Either way, think it's time for a beer

I need a beer or 3. Was out a while ago and the wind slapped me in the face as soon as I turned right out of the estate. I did little else this week so felt I had to turn the pedals for an hour so was great on the way back though weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Dublin cyclists: just in case you're not aware, DCC are currently soliciting suggestions for improving the city in the wake of Covid19:
    * Protected cycle lanes
    * Contra-flow cycle lanes
    * Cycle parking facilities

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/covid-mobility-measure-request-form/

I've been adding places that I used to encounter on my commute where advanced stop boxes would be useful, or shops where there was no proper parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Probably super off topic, but could anyone recommend a place in town or general Dublin area where I could get a decent whistle and stop watch with lap time facility? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Probably super off topic, but could anyone recommend a place in town or general Dublin area where I could get a decent whistle and stop watch with lap time facility? Thanks

Decathlon? Or Sports Direct are usually good for that kind of stuff.

maybe ring elverys? they list whistles on their website anyway, €4.

Decathlon? Or Sports Direct are usually good for that kind of stuff.

Thanks, Decathlon is a no go with crowds at the mo, but I may sneak past and see. Hadn't actually thought of them and they're just up road. Sports Direct are scum, so they're out.

maybe ring elverys? they list whistles on their website anyway, €4.

Thanks, they and lifestyle list on site. Hadn't thought of ringing.

the nearest one to you (given that i think you may live near me) may not stock everything on the site, but given their proximity to another venue, a stopwatch would be a logical thing for them to carry.

are these the same sort of canisters cyclists would use?

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1277557850466922499

the nearest one to you (given that i think you may live near me) may not stock everything on the site, but given their proximity to another venue, a stopwatch would be a logical thing for them to carry.

Agree. Ugh, Omni though. Like a scene from Dawn of the f*king Dead up there at the mo:

• Advertisement

are these the same sort of canisters cyclists would use?

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1277557850466922499

A load of kids huffing Nos?

Advertisement