Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chloe22

yeah its kinda hard to know! ive my interview date the 11th of april and i dont wana be half way through the process and then the guards to recruit!! like the reserve would be good but my first pref is the full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

chloe22 wrote: »
    yeah its kinda hard to know! ive my interview date the 11th of april and i dont wana be half way through the process and then the guards to recruit!! like the reserve would be good but my first pref is the full time.

As far as I know you may apply for both because reserve is not a full time position!!! Ring Garda HQ 01 666 0000(think thats the number) and ask to be put through to reserve office and theyll tell you there and then but you shoukld do the interview anyways its all experience!! Im on phase two of reserve and i love it! Great insight into the job. best of luck!!:cool:

Was talkin to Inspector down in the college, open day is 2nd April Ye should go

dats good thanx for that!! ill do that so!! did you get put anywhere or do you just stay in your own town for the reserves!?

dats good thanx for that!! ill do that so!! did you get put anywhere or do you just stay in your own town for the reserves!?

Well Im from Galway Im just outside the city so I got City Centre as my ststion lets say you were from Birr or wherever well ya wouldnt get your local station but ya might get a station in your next town or something!
    Apply anyways it shows an interest open day is between 10am and 2pm!!

yeah ill go to the open day thax for that! okay thats very good so not too far from where you live! when you did the interview did it take you long to get a reply back and were you workin in the community when you applyed? :)

yeah ill go to the open day thax for that! okay thats very good so not too far from where you live! when you did the interview did it take you long to get a reply back and were you workin in the community when you applyed? :)

ya i was try get involved in somethin i applied in july started my training in feb!!!! I did my interview in september!!! Even if you dont get it so what!! its still experience of the procedure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You know well done for even applying for the Reserves to begin with. Even if AGS start recruiting during your application you will still be looking at almost 2years before you could be successful in the completion of your application for the full-time. Think of the experience you could have gained in the interim. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

lucygoosy wrote: »
    ya i was try get involved in somethin i applied in july started my training in feb!!!! I did my interview in september!!! Even if you dont get it so what!! its still experience of the procedure!

Kerry is rght below. Keep your options open. Go for the Reserves and if in the mean time the Full Time comes up then go it. As Kerry said it would be great experience.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know well done for even applying for the Reserves to begin with. Even if AGS start recruiting during your application you will still be looking at almost 2years before you could be successful in the completion of your application for the full-time. Think of the experience you could have gained in the interim. Just a thought.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Out of curiosity, what would the profile of the ideal candidate be??

Fit, enthusisatic person, Good personality, Degree in social science or related subjects, a garda reserve, involved in two or more local community clubs...

What else would the perfect applicant be or have??

I suppose if we knew what they were looking for, given the time we have, we could ensure we tick as many boxes as possible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Geansai wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what would the profile of the ideal candidate be??

Fit, enthusisatic person, Good personality, Degree in social science or related subjects, a garda reserve, involved in two or more local community clubs...

What else would the perfect applicant be or have??

I suppose if we knew what they were looking for, given the time we have, we could ensure we tick as many boxes as possible....

There is no such thing as the 'perfect applicant' imo. They aren't looking for an impeccable CV.. they are looking for someone they think can do the job.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

eroo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as the 'perfect applicant' imo. They aren't looking for an impeccable CV.. they are looking for someone they think can do the job.:)

Well fair enough, no one candidate is going to have a perfect CV, but, by knowing what the perfect CV would entail, then one can try and move closer to it. Obviously, no one is perfect and all that, but still...

Knowing where to aim and what to aim for is the first step in moving to a better position to make yourself a better candidate. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Its really just about the person u are, they want to see if you have the right personality for the career! Experience dealing with the general public will obviously help.
    All you can do is perpare the questions they give you as examples, thats basically what they will ask you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Anybody making the trip up to templemore for the open day? Im hoping its a good sign there having one and thay maybe a recruitment drive will open soon.

jypo wrote: »
    Anybody making the trip up to templemore for the open day? Im hoping its a good sign there having one and thay maybe a recruitment drive will open soon.

Thinking the same thing!:)

I'll be going if I'm off!

Thinking the same thing!:)

I'll be going if I'm off!

Hey Eroo, you dont happen to know when the last open day was and if there was a competition after that?

Cant make it as im working! Was at one last year though, last April I think not sure if there was one after that?

Mun23 wrote: »
    Cant make it as im working! Was at one last year though, last April I think not sure if there was one after that?

Think there was one in may 2008, i can remember seing that on public jobs website, so only a month after the open day, heres hoping!

Hey Eroo, you dont happen to know when the last open day was and if there was a competition after that?

There was one last October, but they didn't recruit. Still, having 2 Open Days in 6 months is a good sign in my opinion. A college wouldn't have open days if it wasn't planning to take on new students.:)

• Advertisement

Ya I think its a good sign! Get the ball rolling :) Who ever is heading down hound them for an answer as to when the next campagne is opening :D

Ya I think its a good sign! Get the ball rolling :) Who ever is heading down hound them for an answer as to when the next campagne is opening :D

That's putting it mildly!;):pac:

Ha hound them is right, If the misses can get the day off im going, between me, her and the child we can spread out and hound them into submission.

Im counting on ye :p

Im counting on ye :p

Let's do this!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Well lads ill be def heading to open day, Im from limerick city, if anyone around limerick needs a lift just PM me... I also wouldn't mind travelling a (reasonable) distance to collect someone that really wanted to go but had no mode of transport..

• Advertisement

Was down there in Feb for Garda Reserve Training they said they ddint know :(

Still no harm in hounding them:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

cant find anything about open day on garda.ie, anyone got a link? did i read on the press release for october that you had to email before going dow or am i dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

dkhill47 wrote: »
    cant find anything about open day on garda.ie, anyone got a link? did i read on the press release for october that you had to email before going dow or am i dreaming?

That just appears to be for groups, let them know the size and approximate time of arrival of the group. I think this is to organise tours of the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Was talkin to Inspector down in the college, open day is 2nd April Ye should go

Cheers for that - probably going to be 3 years before I'm in a position to apply but might be well worth taking a look in the meantime :)

Do you need to arrange visiting the college on the Open Day beforehand, and if so who do you contact?

• Advertisement

Your only obliged to contact college if a large group is attending, other wise just turn up between 10am and 2pm there are regular tours..

There'll be a huge crowd there this year I'm sure. Is everyone here going to make it down?

DavidH82 wrote: »
    There'll be a huge crowd there this year I'm sure. Is everyone here going to make it down?

No I for one won't be down in April. I've seen the college, met the lecturers, and even almost bought a t-shirt (thank you John for persuading me otherwise ;) )

It is well worth a look-in though if you haven't already been.

Never been so definitely going if I can organise the time off work.

Never been so definitely going if I can organise the time off work.

I remember the first time I walked out the gates, I remember saying to himself "I will be back - next time you'll be visiting me there" :) . You know, everyone you will meet will be so helpful and will answer any and every question you can think of (except probably the one on the next recruitment drive). Honestly, I can't recommend visiting on the open-day enough as most people there will be wanting to know the same as you.

You know, everyone you will meet will be so helpful and will answer any and every question you can think of (except probably the one on the next recruitment drive)quote]

I'm really looking forward to it but that's definitely one question I will be asking. Would be nice to have some kind of idea.

BTW Galway4Sam.

BTW Galway4Sam.

ha :D like your optimism mate ;)
    ...I'm really looking forward to it but that's definitely one question I will be asking. Would be nice to have some kind of idea.

The people there on the day of the open-day will have as much info as you and I have right now. It's the people that won't and don't be visible on days like that, that determine situations like a recruitment drive...Their is money set aside for one drive this year but is subject as normal to that money not being required elsewhere in the mean-time

ha :D like your optimism mate ;)

That's well founded optimism to you :D.

The people there on the day of the open-day will have as much info as you and I have right now. It's the people that won't and don't be visible on days like that, that determine situations like a recruitment drive...Their is money set aside for one drive this year but is subject as normal to that money not being required elsewhere in the mean-time

That's true but at least an open day is a good sign. I suppose it's case of when rather if so it's no harm waiting. Positivity FTW.

That's true but at least an open day is a good sign. I suppose it's case of when rather if so it's no harm waiting. Positivity FTW.

Positivity, Patience and Optimism is what will see us all though the waiting game for definite.

Hey! ask someone there when last a tribesman rightfully held SAM and you'll probably hear the same response as when you ask about the next recruitment drive :D :P and please do let me know what they say to you.

Positivity, Patience and Optimism is what will see us all though the waiting game for definite.

Hey! ask someone there when last a tribesman rightfully held SAM and you'll probably hear the same response as when you ask about the next recruitment drive :D :P and please do let me know what they say to you.

I'll ask them when a tribesman will next rightfully hold sam and when the next recruitment drive will be and I'll get the same response: SOON.

• Advertisement

I remember the first time I walked out the gates, I remember saying to himself "I will be back - next time you'll be visiting me there" :) .

That's exactly how I felt too!:)

If there is anyone from wexford going down could you pm me. Im looking for a lift and will share on the petrol. Any help appreciated.

Very quiet on here. Me thinks all the heads are in the aptitude books in anticipation. Well maybe not. Your all down the pub more like!

Very quiet on here. Me thinks all the heads are in the aptitude books in anticipation. Well maybe not. Your all down the pub more like!

Not yet, but I will be soon! (the books I mean!:pac:)

Nope just being a loser on the internet :pac:

Tis quite alright jypo and we should enjoy it while it lasts! This thread could and will heat up fairly lively once a ;);) competition is announced.

Nah, I'll give the auld pub a miss tonight but with tomorrow hopefully being as glorious as it was today, I'll more than likely be in a beer-garden after my annual ooohh's and aahhh's and Oh look at that! as the parade passes by.

Hey kerry4sam, are you waiting to apply too or..?

Hey kerry4sam, are you waiting to apply too or..?

I sure am Eroo but 'twil be my second time applying. My gawd! This time last year I was awaiting my interview and a year on I am awaiting the call for another drive but man oh man what a year I have had :D

I sure am Eroo but 'twil be my second time applying. My gawd! This time last year I was awaiting my interview and a year on I am awaiting the call for another drive but man oh man what a year I have had :D

Ah right, we're in the same boat so! :)

• Advertisement

Ah right, we're in the same boat so! :)

Yeah, we sure are. Their will be some bunch of us from here all applying the next time round :) The support will certainly help.

Advertisement