Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely afternoon; dazzling sun, glorious cloud scapes and a warm fresh wind., Sitting out knitting,,, was bliss .. cats sprawled lazy-elegant on the grass .
    west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Next week Is possibly looking ‘Tropical’ with a good deal of rain about. Humidity could be an issue next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    Next week Is possibly looking ‘Tropical’ with a good deal of rain about. Humidity could be an issue next week!

I may bite the bullet and purchase an AC unit for the bedroom so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Turned out a grand day,nice sunshine and breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another poor day in Letterkenny with frequent showers and a strong breeze, radar looks fairly innocuous but we've had a heavy shower at least every hour all day.

Autumnal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Mortelaro wrote: »
    London’s average rainfall is about 60% of Dublin’s annually actually which is considerably less
    For every 10 wet days Dublin has London on average has four of those dry

That’s nonsense, Dublin averages around 700mm and London 600mm. That is a long way off the difference you are saying.

I spent a good bit of time in London and found the weather to be over rated. Better than Dublin yes but Paris for example is way hotter and sunnier than London despite not being much difference distance wide to Dublin from London. People go on like London has amazing summers, they average 3-4 days per year hitting 30 degrees but most days are high teens to mid 20s. The summers there are nothing special at all. Once you get to continental Europe it’s another league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You are correct,its about 80%
    Mea culpa
    Paris is well inland on a continental land mass which is why its much hotter
    London does borrow some of that heat by virtue of proximity but that nowhere near as good for heat as being 200 kms inland on a continent or a southerly from Nice

Just to be clear I am in agreement that London has better summers than Dublin but I do think the summers there are over rated. Wimbledon is usually a good example, this year like in Ireland they got lucky the last week of June and first week of July but they had to put a roof over the two main courts because of the constant rain delays year after year, it was driving the players mad!

London can get spells of lovely warm weather but temps around 30 degrees are very much the exception, usually closer to low 20s on average. I guess we consider London summers good but that’s just in comparison to the likes of Ireland. If you asked mainland Europeans they would say weather in London is pants

I've had a look at the max temp at heathrow for the first 17 days of july this year
    All days had maxes above 20c
    16 out of those 17 it was above 22c
    8 were above 24
    Central London I haven't looked at but its probably a tad warmer

At 22c ,Dublin would be considered as having a warm day
    I don't agree that Dublin's weather comes anywhere close to that

I'll also profer that quite a bit of Londons and SE England's rain in Summer can come from evening or overnight thunderstorms after a fine warm day either locally made or French imports
    That wouldn't take from the perception its weather is much more summery than Dublins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ok day in Dublin with some sunny spells and a lovely evening. Had a small shower during the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Yes fair point but look at all of May to the 3rd week of June and most days were mid to high teens and raining. As I said London can get stretches of nice warm weather but it could then have 2-3 weeks of muck

quote="Mortelaro;110726535"]I've had a look at the max temp at heathrow for the first 17 days of july this year
    All days had maxes above 20c
    16 out of those 17 it was above 22c
    8 were above 24
    Central London I haven't looked at but its probably a tad warmer

At 22c ,Dublin would be considered as having a warm day
    I don't agree that Dublin's weather comes anywhere close to that

I'll also profer that quite a bit of Londons and SE England's rain in Summer can come from evening or overnight thunderstorms after a fine warm day either locally made or French imports
    That wouldn't take from the perception its weather is much more summery than Dublins[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I think Dublin's average July max is 19C and London's is 23C so anything over 19 in Dublin is warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Felt very warm again today with a high of 22.4c and not a drop of rain. Humidity started off high and decreased over the day until about 3.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes fair point but look at all of May to the 3rd week of June and most days were mid to high teens and raining. As I said London can get stretches of nice warm weather but it could then have 2-3 weeks of muck

Yes, June was quiet wet and chilly, but weather like that does not happen very often.
    You don't get 30 plus heat in London too much, but the temperature rarely goes below 20 degrees during the Summer and in a 10 day period, you might have 2 days of rain, and that will usually come from a continental source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Thought tonight was noticeably dark date I say it the evenings are starting to draw in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Thought tonight was noticeably dark date I say it the evenings are starting to draw in.

We've lost 16 min in the evening from mid summer. Say Tullamore sunset 22:00 back to 21:44.

However it's the morning where we've lost 30 min.

Sunrise Tullamore 4.57 mid summer now 5.27.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's getting darker a whole 14 mins earlier than the latest sunset. It's just the dull weather that made it seem darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's getting darker a whole 14 mins earlier than the latest sunset. It's just the dull weather that made it seem darker.

The evenings really pull back by around 2min from 22nd July on. Up to 21st you only lose 20min in the evening. By 15 August you've lost an hour in the eve.

The morning is the one where the later sunrise is more noticeable mid July, but you come from such an early start mid summer most don't notice.

The evenings really pull back by around 2min from 22nd July on. Up to 21st you only lose 20min in the evening. By 15 August you've lost an hour in the eve.

The morning is the one where the later sunrise is more noticeable mid July, but you come from such an early start mid summer most don't notice.

someone i knew up in the North Isles mentioned shorter days and as I told her, "All downhill until Christmas now." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice supernumerary over Bray Head on Wednesday night.

https://twitter.com/ericthebirdman/status/1151937481912270848?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Jesus wept.

We've lost a grand total of 15 mins in the evening for God's sake.

Come back to me when we've lost an hour in the evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

compsys wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

We've lost a grand total of 15 mins in the evening for God's sake.

Come back to me when we've lost an hour in the evening.

By mid August we will have lost that and more.

Quite wet in Arklow now again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

gfs 06z has briefly spewed the +20 degree isothern over ireland by the end of next week,
    UK being scortched alive, phenomenal night time minima over ther.

Could this be the hottest period of the summer coming for them,could the magic 40 be reached,
    with the land so dry
    potentially record breaking.
    hopefully we can live of some of their scraps and get into the 20s and get a day or two of warm weather
    but with that heat there would be serious amouts of pigmuck steaming up off the atlantic.

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp.pngh850t850eu.png

Just opened the door to let a cat in and met a wall of midges..Literally the air filled with them Feet and legs which are bare are on fire... had to spray inside to clear the ones that came in and the cats went ballistic.

need wind NOW. Besieged by stinging midges... where is the piriton!

west mayo offshore midge sanctuary.

can you spot the magic 30:)

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Need to see some changes from the ECM/UKMO this evening if anything like that is to be a realistic prospect. At the moment they are too progressive bring in the Atlantic systems and shifting the plume in to Europe east.

revolting evening here in west Mayo for mid july,cold dark and damp.

think it reached a pathetic 14 degrees today.

not sure where the warmth humidity and thunderstorms went today,never materialised,pig scutter of the highest order.

plenty of more Atlantic dross in the pipeline next week,

glad to be heading off for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

revolting evening here in west Mayo for mid july,cold dark and damp.

think it reached a pathetic 14 degrees today.

not sure where the warmth humidity and thunderstorms went today,never materialised,pig scutter of the highest order.

plenty of more Atlantic dross in the pipeline next week,

glad to be heading off for August.

Encroached as far as Claremorris anyway, they have had lightning and nearly 50 mm of rain in the last two hours or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji wrote: »
    Encroached as far as Claremorris anyway, they have had lightning and nearly 50 mm of rain in the last two hours or so.

Good video posted on the Connaught telegraph facebook page of it

Advertisement