Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's past midnight and I'm melting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann Midnight reports

Phoenix Park 20 degrees
    Most other stations 19 degrees. Favoured places are going to do very well later today(Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

compsys wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question when you said being retired helps!

When you work full time, Monday to Friday, and commute long hours you often only have two or three hours of daylight, even in summer, to enjoy as well as the weekends.

So you simply don't have the opportunity to jump at every nice bit of weather we get.

July looks like it's going to be very average in terms of temps in Ireland which is insane when you consider there's record breaking heat everywhere. And June was one of the warmest months on record globally. Not that you'd know it in Ireland.

You have to laugh sometimes.

Not necessarily. I was in southern Spain from 3-21st June and temps were below average there. Just as they were here but obviously there's a big difference between below average in both countries. Big summer heat didn't arrive in Spain until after June 20th which is when it also warmed up here. Temps then went back to normal in southern Europe after July 5th. In fact I witnessed cooling rain and overcast days in Spain from 6-8th July and a week later in Sicily [15-16th July] and temperatures in Sicily this past week have been no higher than high 20's, though another big heatwave is due this coming week.

So that's two countries where, apart from some days in late June,there really was no record breaking heat. So where exactly are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It took me years but now I take every good day as it comes . We get up and see a sunny morning we use it
    We get a good dry afternoon we use it . I watch the weather online and plan .
    Maybe that is the key as I find this summer actually grand . We have been in the garden a lot , planned days out according to the weather and stayed in and did jobs when it rains
    Being retired helps !

Wish I could say the same, cloudy skies makes me want to stay in rather than go out. I don’t ask for frequent clear sky days (though they are amazing when they come) but days with partly sunny skies are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still pouring down as heavy as ever in Letterkenny as I head to bed, hasn't stopped since I got up this morning. Going to be some serious totals across the west and NW by the time this finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

acequion wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I was in southern Spain from 3-21st June and temps were below average there. Just as they were here but obviously there's a big difference between below average in both countries. Big summer heat didn't arrive in Spain until after June 20th which is when it also warmed up here. Temps then went back to normal in southern Europe after July 5th. In fact I witnessed cooling rain and overcast days in Spain from 6-8th July and a week later in Sicily [15-16th July] and temperatures in Sicily this past week have been no higher than high 20's, though another big heatwave is due this coming week.

So that's two countries where, apart from some days in late June,there really was no record breaking heat. So where exactly are you talking about?

June was officially the warmest month ever globally.

The highest temps EVER have been recorded in Alaska and France where over 45 degrees was reached.

Berlin has been sweltering. The highest June temp ever was recorded in Germany.

Records were broken in Switzerland.

I could go on and on.

Even in places where records weren't broken, temps have generally been above average for June and July.

Ireland is a huge outlier here. EVERY station in the country was cooler than average in June here. July will be about average at best I'd say.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/19/us/june-2019-hottest-on-record/index.html
    https://lenews.ch/2019/06/26/heat-records-broken-at-nearly-30-locations-in-switzerland/
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/alaska-record-heat-trnd-wxc/index.html
    https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-heatwave-france-germany-spain-dangerous-temperature-2019-6?r=US&IR=T
    https://thepublicsradio.org/article/germany-hits-record-june-heat-rest-of-europe-sizzles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

19.2°c at this ungodly hour. The warmth and humidity would really catch you out if you're not careful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

19.1c atm in Dublin 16. Low since midnight of 18.8c Woke up a few times with the sweats!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The south east hasn’t received much rain so far this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hot, windy and humid

Weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Why does MT’s forecast mention showers coming in from the west tomorrow night and no mention of the risk of thunder?
    Whilst Met Éireann have showers coming from the southeast with a risk of thunder

If I was in the southeast,it would take a long time for showers from there to get to me from the west
    If I was in the west it would take a long time for showers from the south east to get to me if at all

One of them is stone wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’m expecting today to be a nice day eventually. But reading the forecast and the bs on the newspapers this morning and being outside now makes me wonder. The sky is black the cloud is low the wind is howling. The only saving grace is it’s mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I’m expecting today to be a nice day eventually. But reading the forecast and the bs on the newspapers this morning and being outside now makes me wonder. The sky is black the cloud is low the wind is howling. The only saving grace is it’s mild.
    Rubbish morning in Cork, the sun hasn't been seen since Friday. Hopefully some of this cloud will burn off during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Mild and breezy with occasional sun in Dublin 8 - 22c at 09:00 is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

pauldry wrote: »
    Today was promised mostly sunny and fair on forecast last night and even this morning

Now

Mostly cloudy today but with occasional sunny spells. Highest temperatures of 17 to 21 degrees in moderate westerly breezes.

They cant even forecast a few hours ahead.

This has happened every weekend this Summer.

Hvnt looked at weekdays as too busy
    I'm in same region as you and finding this as well.
    Check the weather in the evening for the following day (will I put on a wash or not!!) but the next morning it's all changed.
    Really annoying

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hot, windy and humid

Weird

Hot???? I don't think anywhere was hot in Ireland at just after 08:00. Dublin is mild, almost warm over an hour after you posted and it's one of the mildest and sunniest places in the country at the moment. It's nowhere near hot in Dublin city. I think "hot" is very much an exaggeration*

*personal opinion, of course - Above about 28c (give or take a couple of degrees, depending on the amount of sun, wind strength and humidity), I would consider gettting into "hot" territory.

highdef wrote: »
    Hot???? I don't think anywhere was hot in Ireland at just after 08:00. Dublin is mild, almost warm over an hour after you posted and it's one of the mildest and sunniest places in the country at the moment. It's nowhere near hot in Dublin city. I think "hot" is very much an exaggeration*

*personal opinion, of course - Above about 28c (give or take a couple of degrees, depending on the amount of sun, wind strength and humidity), I would consider gettting into "hot" territory.

:rolleyes:

This is Ireland. Don't get so worked up about subjective matters.

This is Ireland.

Ah, my apologies.....I didn't realise that you were being sarcastic in your message :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A final daily total of 39.1mm here yesterday, which, looking at the official met reports, makes it one of the wettest places in the country yesterday. Pretty obvious that we got stuck under some sort of narrow trailing convergence zone or something as even Athenry & Claremorris, which I am located between, did not record such totals.

Wettest official total was 33.3mm in Newport.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Technically 'hot' or not, I find this excessively humid weather unbearable. We are not built for it. We are a small island in the North Atlantic that is located just a hop, skip and jump away from the Arctic Circle.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I hate the humid weather also. Detest it.

Would prefer cold, rain and cloud from now until November instead of this.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Technically 'hot' or not, I find this excessively humid weather unbearable. We are not built for it. We are a small island in the North Atlantic that is located just a hop, skip and jump away from the Arctic Circle.

The humidity is oppressive at the moment

And I guess that my part mainland Europe blood helps me with regards to liking it when it gets as hot as it ever gets in Ireland. Mainly Irish but a bit of warmer climes in me probably has me genetically more tolerant of higher than normal levels of heat in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I much prefer this weather than sweltering in 35/ 40 on mainland europe .Its roasting in Berlin and people still have to go to work and try and keep small children cool and the elderly hydrated .Give me 20 -22 any day when we can function and enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I hate the humid weather also. Detest it.

Would prefer cold, rain and cloud from now until November instead of this.

Jesus😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A final daily total of 39.1mm here yesterday...

WOW! A total of just 4.6mm in comparison here in south Laois. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

highdef wrote: »

In Irish terms I think most would say 28+ was "roasting".

Feeling the temperature increase after sunset is fascinating (if unpleasant). I do wonder how many parts of the world are setup to experience it, for us a change in wind can deliver a lot of heat from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Close, humid and muggy here with some occasional sunny spells mixed with some cloud, blustery too, blustery winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A final daily total of 39.1mm here yesterday, which, looking at the official met reports, makes it one of the wettest places in the country yesterday. Pretty obvious that we got stuck under some sort of narrow trailing convergence zone or something as even Athenry & Claremorris, which I am located between, did not record such totals.

Wettest official total was 33.3mm in Newport.

Only 21.1mm for the entire july in Arklow so far
    We could do with tomorrow nights French imports but they look like N Wales NW England and Scotland only

• Advertisement

Just back from a short walk to the shops in Dublin 8. Was expecting hair dryer like heat, going by some of the reports here. It's quite windy/blustery, the wind is not exactly warm, mild is the most optimistic way I could describe it. It's mainly cloudy but is quite warm when the sun is out and you have it shining on you but when cloudy and in the wind, it's barely t-shirt weather.

I'd imagine it'll warm up a fair bit in the coming hours though. Looking forward to getting out to sunbathe in my carefully designed back garden at lunchtime as it is extremely sheltered from almost all directions and also has a lot dark surfaces so it's soaks up heat like a sponge. I can already picture myself with sweat rolling off me.....bliss :D Have a lot of digging to do in the afternoon as I'm rebuilding a bit of pathway so I'll certainly work up a sweat.

Advertisement